PDA

View Full Version : Best view on the AT?

MattC
10-11-2006, 16:19
Now, ive never been on the AT outside of Jersey, so my default answer is High Point. but what do you guys think is the best view on the whole trial?

reason im asking is because im thinking of taking all my vacation weeks together next spring, to do a nice 3 week trek.

- Matt C
:banana

Gaiter
10-11-2006, 17:04
Bald Mtn @ Sunset

the goat
10-11-2006, 17:07
do maine if you can: bigelows-avery peak, saddlebacks, sugarloaf, katahdin....

MattC
10-11-2006, 17:19
hmm maine is probally a good bet, my hiking buddy's aunt owns a cabin on a privite island up there, and its always a great time, but im planning a thru in a couple of years, and dont want to ruin the katahdin/100 mile experience. :)

same friend also said we should do some of NH, up around Mt. Washington.

Footslogger
10-11-2006, 17:27
Too many good ones to call any single one "The Best".

After walking 2,180 miles (give/take) though I'd have to say that some of the most breathtaking views in my memory were in the Whites. You are so high you can touch the clouds and have 360 degree views (on a clear day). Being able to see the trail where you've been and where you're headed is a pretty cool thing.

'Slogger

DavidNH
10-11-2006, 17:46
well...the answer to this .. Maine hands down!

hard to pick a specific spot in Maine but here are a few:

Summit of East Bald Plate mountain
Sumit of White Cap,
view from side trail from Nesubatant (sp?) mountain
the Bigelows!

I admid the whites in NH are real nice and have impressive views...but Maine is wilder!

There is a lot of great scenery to be seen along the AT..but Maine is particularly wonderful!

If I had to select other states..it would be NH white M0untains and NC Great Smokies!

My friend..it's time you ventured out of NJ. There is nice scenery there..but nothing that can touch the places I have mentioned above!

David

fiddlehead
10-11-2006, 18:47
Any question like this depends on the weather, frame of mind, who you're with at the time, and your emotions. I hate to pick "the best" of anything as everyday is a great one.
But i'd vote the BIG K ........... in the fall (if it were a poll)

Red Rover
10-11-2006, 18:51
Now, ive never been on the AT outside of Jersey, so my default answer is High Point. but what do you guys think is the best view on the whole trial?

reason im asking is because im thinking of taking all my vacation weeks together next spring, to do a nice 3 week trek.

- Matt C
:banana

The Whites if the weather is good, although forget the summit of Washington if time is short, The buildings up there really do take away from the experience, but on a good day the Presidential Range is quite majestic.

emerald
10-11-2006, 18:58
Any question like this depends on the weather, frame of mind, who you're with at the time, and your emotions. I hate to pick "the best" of anything as everyday is a great one.
But i'd vote the BIG K ........... in the fall (if it were a poll)

You raised some good points fiddlehead, but when conditions are at their best I vote Saddleback when the sun sets.

A few others not yet mentioned:

Katahdin from Daicey Pond
Moosilauke from some point not far to the south
Kimmel Lookout and Dan's Pulpit in Berks County, Pennsylvania

woodsy
10-11-2006, 18:58
do maine if you can: bigelows-avery peak, saddlebacks, sugarloaf, katahdin....

I will agree with the above post, and the Whites too.:):welcome

WalkinHome
10-11-2006, 19:40
My three favorites were Franconia Ridge, East Baldpate and Nesuntabunt Mountain.

Fly By Mike
10-11-2006, 23:13
I was going to say White Cap and then WalkinHome threw in Nesuntabunt. It's only a little mountain but the view from there on a clear day is amazing. No matter which way you cut it... Maine has the views.

map man
10-11-2006, 23:57
To synthesize a lot of what previous posters have said, you can hike over many of the view spots already mentioned in Maine and New Hampshire by hiking 227.4 miles (according to my 2005 Data Book) from East Flagstaff Road in Maine (between Caratunk and Stratton) to Glencliff New Hampshire (though this would not include White Cap or Nesuntabunt in the 100 mile wilderness). You would need to hike between 10 and 11 miles a day if you have three weeks. That is tough hiking, because that stretch has some of the most rugged hiking on the AT. But...

Beautiful views
Ain't free
On the AT

And that's as close to poetry as I'm ever going to get. In addition, if you get lucky with the right three weeks in spring, probably in May, you may just be able to start after the threat of winter weather has diminished, but before the mosquitos come out. IF you're lucky. Of course, if snow melt runoff is significant when you go, fording some of the rivers and streams in Maine could be interesting:eek: .

Nean
10-12-2006, 00:07
I can't say where......:-?
who,:eek:
when, :D
how or why.;)

bfitz
10-12-2006, 00:50
duh! Katahdin!

trippclark
10-12-2006, 14:51
Interesting thread. Reading the posts really makes me yearn for the many great views that are ahead. So far I have only hiked the southern 580 miles or so and note from the posts so far that, at least in the opinions expressed, the best is yet to come!

Just in the 25% or so of the trail that I have been fortunate to hike, I have already seen some mighty impressive views -- Albert Mountain, Tray Mountain, Max Patch, Big Bald, Roan Highlands, Grayson Highlands -- all come to mind as spectacular.

It is great to know that it only gets better!

twosticks
10-12-2006, 14:59
If you can find yourself on the AT when you don't have time for it, then the best view is the one you have.

Webs
10-12-2006, 15:04
i also have only been blessed enough so far to do the first few hundred miles, and my favorite view was on Rocky Top in the Smokies--great lunch spot! we ate lunch w/a gorgeous view (360 deg i might add) and took a nap on teh sun-warmed rocks on the summit :banana (to top it off, we got phone reception for teh first time in days up there!) :p

DiamondDoug
10-16-2006, 15:17
Ignore anything Walkin' Home says about views. ;-) The only views he knows of are directly on the trail - if the overlook was thirty feet down a side trail he didn't go see it. Only hiker I know who skipped the Pinnacle in PA.

For my money, the best views were from the Humps in Carolina. You could make an easy hike starting as far south as you wanted and finish in Damascus. Or continue on through the Grayson Highlands.

If you want gorgeous floral scenery go north from Damascus in late May. The mountain laurel and rhodos where just spectacular, especially around the War-Spur shelter just north of Pearisburg.

Cookerhiker
10-16-2006, 18:32
...in addition to the ones previously mentioned, I'll add 2 smaller but still impressive ones: Pleasant Pond Mountain and Moxie Bald. Also, did anyone mention Whitecap where you can see Katahdin.

My very first AT section hike also produced one of the best views: Glastonbury Mountain, Vermont. 360 degrees with nary a man-made structure in sight. Of course, that was back in 1977.

WalkinHome
10-16-2006, 18:44
Diamond Doug has selective memories. He forgets that if it was not for my keen sense of observation, he would not have had the goodies being sold by the "red roof" house. He also forgets that he took my picture on "Spy Rock" (a side trail) so you see, he is starting to lose what I have already lost-most of my memory LOL. Where the heck is Pinnacle Rock LOL?? Love ya Doug but you may have to atone before I bring you any more REAL maple syrup from Maine.

Skyline
10-16-2006, 18:52
The view of The Sign from The Tablelands. The view of everything else from The Sign.

DawnTreader
10-17-2006, 00:25
never been outside of New England.. My favorites their are standard...
Presidentials...Great Gulf Wilderness, Tuckermans yada yada
Madison & Hut from AT Northbound
Monroe and Lakes from Washington decsent
Flagstaff from Avery Peak
I loved the view of the valley from South Crocker
Blue Blaze to Sugarloaf.. fantastic
Blue Blaze to Pomola Peak on Katahdin.. looking down the Knife Edge was spectacular.
Double Rainbow on Goose Eye Mt. happy days
Kicking it Sobo up the face of little Baldpate on a clear day..
Looking down on South Arm Rd. toward Moody Mt.
Katahdin from Peadmoncook Lake
Saddleback.. nuff said
Think that about covers it.. great thread.. great memories.. funny how I can picture all of these scenes so vividly in my mind.. I will have them forever!!!

hobbit
10-17-2006, 10:05
Maine has awesome views and interesting mountains

DiamondDoug
10-17-2006, 10:20
Love ya Doug but you may have to atone before I bring you any more REAL maple syrup from Maine.

Atone! Atone! Syrup will definitely need resupply by Trail Days next spring.

Speaking of views in Virginia (Spy Rock wasn't much, but the guide book said it was back in 1863...Maybe Old Phart can tell us...:D ) what is the knob near Roanoke that juts out? That was a pretty cool view.

Some of my favorite views were also of coolers surreptitiosly left behind a tree near a road crossing...

Gray Blazer
10-17-2006, 10:27
In the South, IMHO, Camp Creek Bald has one of the best views. On a clear day, you can see the entire length of the At from the Smokies to Roan. You can also see the entire Black Range with Mt. Mitchell.

Kerosene
10-17-2006, 10:47
what is the knob near Roanoke that juts out?McAfee Knob.

Lone Wolf
10-17-2006, 10:50
Cheoah Bald at sunset ain't too shabby.

StarLyte
10-17-2006, 10:57
Every view on the AT is awesome. Every step, every tree, every creature.

But the best view on the AT is the people.

And with that said, I'm planning my next hike.

Love to you all.

Sly
10-17-2006, 11:14
But the best view on the AT is the people.

Here you go, to music.....

http://www.missjanetshouse.com/

RAT
10-20-2006, 22:12
Camp Creek Bald is awesome, right in my back yard too. I took great pride in helping Sam Waddle maintain that for the last 12 yrs of his 25 there. I also like Big Bald not only for its awesome views but because it is close to where my trail section begins :) I agree that any view on the AT is the best view !

RAT

emerald
10-21-2006, 09:38
Camp Creek Bald is awesome, right in my back yard too. I took great pride in helping Sam Waddle maintain that for the last 12 yrs of his 25 there. I also like Big Bald not only for its awesome views but because it is close to where my trail section begins :) I agree that any view on the AT is the best view !

RAT

Wow! The memories of time spent with Sam maintaining the A.T. will be something to treasure for the rest of your life.

Sam was a friend of the A.T. and those who hiked it. I remember seeing him at some of the early ALDHA activities and also remember receiving a letter from him sending his best wishes when I was a freshman at West Virginia University many years ago.

Great places are even better when shared with great people.:) :)