PDA

View Full Version : How much do you analyze a gear purchase?

Cuffs
10-11-2006, 16:20
Is it just me? Or are there others who over analyze the purchase of each item of gear, especially the Big 3?

I have been wanting a new pack for a while now, and this weekends trip on the Approach Trail just amplified that desire.

I have sat at my computer for the last few hours today looking up every manufacturer, and printing out spec information. I have now taken that info and put it in a spreadsheet to peruse and see what my best option would be. (Volume vs weight vs weight capacity vs cost)

Even sadder, I will soon be in the market for a new bag, and the same process has already started!

Please tell me Im not the only one obsessed with this?!?!

Alligator
10-11-2006, 16:23
You are not alone in the world:) .

Footslogger
10-11-2006, 16:33
...and when I'm all done analysing I analyse some more. Then when I actually buy the item(s) I still look back over my pre-purchase research.

That way when I actually take something out in the field I know that it was the right choice for me at the time ...and I say "AT THAT TIME", because as we all know there are new and better things being invented and sold all the time.

'Slogger

highway
10-11-2006, 16:38
Yep, it starts innocuous enough, just like that.

Then it begins to casually spread into other, lighter, items of gear.

You begin to weigh all your stuff. You even design a spreasdsheet to keep track of it all. Slowly, you have a whole closet dedicated to your sickness

And, before you quite realize it, it has become an obsessive disease

You will know its incurable when you begin to make alcohol stoves. You will find yourself wandering the aisles of your favorite supermarket, pondering all the cans before you, not so much for what is in them, but how they would do assembled into yet another stove.

I hope you are able to quit, and beat it, before you get to that stage:D

Cuffs
10-11-2006, 16:48
I dont mind the spreadsheet for laying out aaalllll my gear. It gives me the "big picture" and shows me where I can cut weight.

And as for the alcohol stoves, I dont think I'll ever master that, so I just get other people to make them for me! (you know who you are!)

All I can think is "its just a backpack." I have spent hours on this, and I still see hours (& maybe days) before I can just narrow it down to 2 or 3.

Amazingly, I did get my work done today. Must have been some magical fairy helping me, because I dont know how I did it while obsessing about this pack!

hopefulhiker
10-11-2006, 16:52
I figured, reworked, imagined and problem solved the gear thing to death.. i even bought gear just to compare it to other gear...By the time I finished I had a whole van load of gear... This was the gear I had bought to carry on the AT...
Now I am going to sell some of that gear at The Gathering....

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-11-2006, 17:06
::: off to trim my toenails and blow my nose to reduce my weight before hiking :::

You are not alone

Just Jeff
10-11-2006, 18:30
There's a 12 step program for that.

1 - Gather the data and product information
2 - Narrow to a few contenders
3 - Post your thoughts on WB
4 - Sort through the "don't forget about this one" posts and do more research
5 - ...

Skidsteer
10-11-2006, 18:35
There's a 12 step program for that.

1 - Gather the data and product information
2 - Narrow to a few contenders
3 - Post your thoughts on WB
4 - Sort through the "don't forget about this one" posts and do more research
5 - ...

5 - Repeat steps 3 and 4 on HHQ and do even more research.

saimyoji
10-11-2006, 18:48
Before I got the hiking bug, and was merely a car camper, I didn't think too much about gear, other than price and durability. Having to carry it on my back all day opened up a whole a new world of analysis. Since then, I've never bought a piece of gear without doing the spreadsheet comparison. Quickest purchase, 3 months: SnowPeak GigaPower stove and MiniSolo pot. Longest purchase (going on 7 months now): rain and cold weather jackets.

I actually analyzed so long on rain gear that I adlibbed some lightweight cheap stuff (cut and ducttaped/seamsealed from various sources) that I like and will now probably use instead of buying new, at least until it wears out.

Wish I had the cash to not have to do this. But I really like doing it, getting to know all about different features/technology/performance of lots of types of gear.

ShakeyLeggs
10-11-2006, 20:01
As a recovering gearhead (YEA RIGHT) I spend inordinate amounts of time going over all the different offerings and options of each individual peice of gear. Sometimes at the expense of sleep. But we all have to admit it is so much fun and a big rush when we finally have that shiny brand new piece of hightech gear in out paws.

blackbishop351
10-11-2006, 20:07
Is it just me? Or are there others who over analyze the purchase of each item of gear, especially the Big 3?

I have been wanting a new pack for a while now, and this weekends trip on the Approach Trail just amplified that desire.

I have sat at my computer for the last few hours today looking up every manufacturer, and printing out spec information. I have now taken that info and put it in a spreadsheet to peruse and see what my best option would be. (Volume vs weight vs weight capacity vs cost)

Even sadder, I will soon be in the market for a new bag, and the same process has already started!

I kill it 'till it dies from it. Then if I'm still awake at 4 AM, I kill it again! :D

Just Jeff
10-11-2006, 20:09
The bad part is when you forget all the details you knew off the top of your head when you were doing your research, so when a new piece of gear comes out you're not sure how it compares with the others...so you have to look it up all over again!

Egads
10-11-2006, 20:24
ALhikerGal,

You have the bug, you're a Gearhead

Whiteblaze.net

Gearreview.com

Outdoorreview.com

Outside.away.com/outside/gear/index.html

Backpackgeartest.org/reviews

Backpackinglight.com

Happy reading, always try it on before spending the bills

Egads

Alligator
10-11-2006, 20:48
The bad part is when you forget all the details you knew off the top of your head when you were doing your research, so when a new piece of gear comes out you're not sure how it compares with the others...so you have to look it up all over again!It comes back quick though. You don't have to study the reviewed items again, just a once over.

littlelaurel59
10-11-2006, 22:21

Time spent researching a new pack-- 100 hours.
Time spent researching a new bag-- 200 hours.
Time spent researching a new tent-- 300 hours.
Time spent backpacking---PRICELESS.

otterman
10-12-2006, 07:49
Research it to death. I hate buying gear X only to find out later that gear Y is more durable or lighter. I don't have the money to be buying both.

Just think how many times you can post your research here on whiteblaze. That's gotta be worth the time all by itself.

Cuffs
10-12-2006, 10:49
I think you are a fool to buy a pack based soley on looks/volume/weight/etc...fit/comfort is the most important aspect of any pack...

I agree! But I have to find a few packs that fit the weight/volume criteria, THEN try and find them in the stores to try on... Finding the packs to try on is an issue here in AL. Most likely, I will have to find a few trail stores and make a weekend trip of trying on packs in other states... The Madness!

Almost There
10-12-2006, 12:51
Screw too much research. I see what's being used out on the trail, I look for people with similiar builds and hiking styles and then I test/research those packs, etc. Specs do not tell you if a product is right for you...and less weight doesn't always mean better!

I will never build an alcohol can stove, because then it will mean "they" have won!

vipahman
10-12-2006, 14:12
Is it just me? Or are there others who over analyze the purchase of each item of gear, especially the Big 3?!
I analyze everything from a $5 to a $5000+ purchase to death. Even if it is the greatest deal, I will not purchase it unless I have researched it myself. It does not matter if I lose the deal. That is why I usually don't sell anything once it's purchased because over 95% of the times, it's a keeper.

For example, I've spent about 3 months trying to figure out if I want a Canon or Nikon high-end setup and unfortunately, there seems to be pros and cons both ways. So I'm buying neither presently but still researching every bit about it.

What can I say, I'm not a salesman's dream come true because I'm not the compulsive buyer.

I'd rather be unhappy without the purchase than be unhapy with the purchase!

fiddlehead
10-12-2006, 16:46
I haven't bought any new gear for a long time. I think the best way to make these decisions is NOT in a store. the salesmen will do their best to tell you what they want to based on what they want to sell.
Go out on the trail, see what others are using, talk to them, find out why they use what they do. (it's best to do this the day after a big storm and see who was dry and comfortable and who was not)
Don't fret over the decision once you've made it. There's not a whole lot of difference between some of these choices.
The stuff i own now is rarely ever geartested by the pros because the companies i buy from are not Backpacking Mag, or Outside advertisers. The companies i'm talking about are found from talking to experienced hikers who have found good items or made their own. tent: Integral Designs, sleeping bag: feathered friends Pack: equinox or an old Go-lite day pack that they don't make anymore (didn't have enough frills) or make your own. Companies that are a lot of talk but their gear sucks: many

joedannajr
10-12-2006, 17:02
I spend way too much time comparing gear attributes. Probably more time than I do using it.