PDA

View Full Version : inquiry on status of some NB AT hikers of 2006

DavidNH
10-11-2006, 17:49
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me how far the following '06 north bound AT hikers got and if they have completed their thru hike.

Cheese whiz
FDR Key stone Dave
Energizer Bunny AKA Betty from PA
Chef
Post Card

these are all hikers I have met during my hike and had the pleasure of hiking with for at least a short time.

Thanks,

David (Snickers)

Skidsteer
10-11-2006, 18:25
Cheesewhiz is done.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17949

woodsy
10-11-2006, 19:08
FDR was seen heading for the pub in Carratunk/The Forks, a few weeks ago.

Cheesewhiz
10-11-2006, 19:34
FDR finished on the 17th of Sept. Keystone finished on the 5th

Fly By Mike
10-11-2006, 23:29
I was day hiking on Katahdin today and around a dozen hikers summited including Little Spoon who I gave a ride to town. It was cold and cloudy at the summit. Most of them are staying at the Econo Lodge in Millinocket tonight and maybe for a few days.

Ewker
10-11-2006, 23:34
anyone know if commando finish?

Gaiter
10-11-2006, 23:50
what about some flip-flopers (well they were planning on a flip-flop last i saw them)
Whimsey
Frond & Azaria
KY Boys: Tree Cat and Moss Foot (don't know if they were going to flip or thru?)
They were in SNP and norther va when i got off aug 1.

Hanna

Cheesewhiz
10-12-2006, 06:08
I saw the Kentuky boys heaading south just as I was going into mahousic notch.

Buckles
10-12-2006, 09:12
Postcard is done. Check it out on TrailJournals. His illustrations are great!

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=159027

<Samurai>
10-13-2006, 16:01
anyone know if commando finish?

I think Commando flipped to get Katahdin in.

LotharOfDaHillPeople
10-13-2006, 19:51
I think Commando flipped to get Katahdin in.

She did. I saw her in the 100 mile wilderness near Rainbow Lake on the 6th. She said she was heading for Gorham, so I imagine she is still hiking.

Ewker
10-13-2006, 20:49
She did. I saw her in the 100 mile wilderness near Rainbow Lake on the 6th. She said she was heading for Gorham, so I imagine she is still hiking.

cool, glad to hear that. I met her way back on April 1st at the Cheese Factory campsite.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/1/5/6/IMG_0054_604737.JPG

Gaiter
10-17-2006, 07:51
Also another thru that will probably if not already, flip, Has anyone seen:
Eagle- retired marine, finishing triple crown w/ artifical hip, he was having a hard time w/ the heat and humidity in late july in va.

Cheesewhiz
10-17-2006, 16:13
I saw Eagle in Monson before the hundred mile wilderness, He was heading south back to Springer and finishing up his Triple Crown right with a yo-yo. that old coot cracks me up. He was carrying a portable DVD player and nothing but John Wayne movies.

minnesotasmith
10-17-2006, 17:30

She said that she didn't want to be "rushed", so summited early. She was headed south.

Tipper
10-17-2006, 17:45
I read an article about Energizer Bunny from her local paper that said she had completed her hike. No news about Chef.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-17-2006, 17:54
Does anyone know what happened to a young girl going by the name dinosaur (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=11714&catid=searchresults&searchid=5280)? I met her at trail days. No one seems to know where she is or if she finished... did she get off the trail?

minnesotasmith
10-17-2006, 17:59
Does anyone know what happened to a young girl going by the name dinosaur (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=11714&catid=searchresults&searchid=5280)? I met her at trail days. No one seems to know where she is or if she finished... did she get off the trail?

She was a relatively thin, tall, short-haired blonde with glasses, whose hiking partner was a somewhat wilder/louder short-haired brunette (no glasses) named Hellbender (after some water arthropod akin to helagrammites, I believe). I met them @ Miss Janet's. I had the impression they were lesbian partners, but never was told that directly. They were posting in registers all the way through Maine; I believe that they did summit pre-October. Is this who you're asking about, FD?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-17-2006, 18:08
The blue writing in my post is a link to a pic of dinosaur and her sister from Trail Days. She was hiking with another girl and my 'gay-dar' did go off when I spoke with them together.

Gaiter
10-17-2006, 19:57
I saw Eagle in Monson before the hundred mile wilderness, He was heading south back to Springer and finishing up his Triple Crown right with a yo-yo. that old coot cracks me up. He was carrying a portable DVD player and nothing but John Wayne movies.

lol, last i saw him was first of aug in buena vista va, he didn't have the dvd player then but i'm not suprised he has it.

G-WALK
10-24-2006, 13:50
FDR Sumited on Sept 17th. I think Postcard got hurt in the Whites.

billdnc
10-27-2006, 20:56
Dinosaur and her companion Hellbender finished the trail on September 10th. My daughter, a grad student at MIT, met them and summited Kathadin with them. I have some pictures of them on the top wearing evening gowns and boas. I made their alcohol stoves and they only used one of them for the entire hike. It was made of two V8 juice cans and weighed 1/4 oz. BTW - Dinosaur and Hellbender are NOT lesbian partners. They also told me their impressions of "Minnesota Smith" which I will not repeat here... If anyone wants further details, just PM me. BTW, my 19 y.o son through hiked SOBO last year in 3mos. 2 wks. -wore Chacos the whole trip.

minnesotasmith
10-28-2006, 16:48
Dinosaur and her companion Hellbender finished the trail on September 10th. My daughter, a grad student at MIT, met them and summited Kathadin with them. I have some pictures of them on the top wearing evening gowns and boas. I made their alcohol stoves and they only used one of them for the entire hike. It was made of two V8 juice cans and weighed 1/4 oz. BTW - Dinosaur and Hellbender are NOT lesbian partners. They also told me their impressions of "Minnesota Smith" which I will not repeat here...

I never said s**t to them that could possibly be taken rudely by any rational person, BTW.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-28-2006, 17:27
Dinosaur and her companion Hellbender finished the trail on September 10th. .... are NOT lesbian partners. They also told me their impressions of "Minnesota Smith" which I will not repeat here... If anyone wants further details, just PM me.Thanks for letting me know the girls made it and that they were just friends.

I PMed you my email addy as I'd like to have a pic of them on the summit if you don't mind. I'm guessing your PM box is overflowing with inquiries :D

ed bell
10-28-2006, 17:46
She was a relatively thin, tall, short-haired blonde with glasses, whose hiking partner was a somewhat wilder/louder short-haired brunette (no glasses) named Hellbender (after some water arthropod akin to helagrammites, I believe). I met them @ Miss Janet's. I had the impression they were lesbian partners, but never was told that directly. They were posting in registers all the way through Maine; I believe that they did summit pre-October. Is this who you're asking about, FD?

I never said s**t to them that could possibly be taken rudely by any rational person, BTW.That may be the case, but informing a public message board you opinions about someones sexual orientation is bad form. Why was that necessary?

Topcat
10-28-2006, 18:01
You know, MS. When teaching people about what constitutes harrassment in the workplace, i am alway carefull to make sure that people understand that it is not the intent of what we say to someone, it is the impact that what we say has on that person. Sometimes, if many people are offended by you, it is important to be somewhat introspective and ask yourself why? Maybe the impact you have had on people on the trail is unintentional, but things like the above post can be hurtful to people. Many such judgements fall into the category of none of your business and who the hell cares...so why say it.

Jack Tarlin
10-29-2006, 16:18
Ed Bell and Topcat are correct. Speculating about this sort of thing on the Internet is simply rude. One's sexual orientation or private life is just that, it's private. Sorry to have to say it, Smitty, but your comment was out of line.

That being said, stay in touch when you can, let us know how you're getting along, and how things are proceeding.

MOWGLI
10-29-2006, 17:37
Out of line, but evidently not out of character.

DavidNH
10-29-2006, 20:32
MS...

Why assume that just because two women sign registers together that they would be lesbians?

You need to take people more at face value and not read stuff in to things.

I met them both. They were simply good (even best) friends and hiked the whole trail together. So it makes sense they also signed the registers together.

They were both very normal and descent women hikers.

David

Jack Tarlin
10-29-2006, 20:45
Ummmm....

I'm sure this was not your intention, David, but re-read your post above.

Are you implying that only straight hikers can be "normal and decent?"

I suppose everyone has their own definition of what constitutes "normal"
but I've met plenty of gay hikers who were among the most decent folks out there.

Gaiter
10-29-2006, 21:24
david didn't imply 'that only straight hikers can be normal and decent'
I think he stated that they were normal and decent, but he didn't say anything about 'straight hikers'
thats how this whole problem got started, ms assumed because the girls were friends, this is just another assumption to stir things up. no sense in it.

Tipper
10-30-2006, 20:21
Congrats to Hellbender and Dinosaur. I met them for the first time in NY and they seemed to have boundless energy and bottomless enthusiasm. We all benefited from our association with them, however brief. The kind of hikers that help one get through the day!

Cheesewhiz
10-30-2006, 23:45
were lookin for people we hiked with and "they" can't even last a thread without bickering about something. HIKING FORUM if you want to bicker open a forum over gay or straight thru hiker pictionary.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-31-2006, 07:48
Congrats to Hellbender and Dinosaur. I met them for the first time in NY and they seemed to have boundless energy and bottomless enthusiasm. We all benefited from our association with them, however brief. The kind of hikers that help one get through the day!Amen! I just had to adopt Dinosaur as our hatchling when I met her.

Glo-Worm
11-07-2006, 00:51
Dinosaur and her companion Hellbender finished the trail on September 10th. My daughter, a grad student at MIT, met them and summited Kathadin with them. I have some pictures of them on the top wearing evening gowns and boas. I made their alcohol stoves and they only used one of them for the entire hike. It was made of two V8 juice cans and weighed 1/4 oz. BTW - Dinosaur and Hellbender are NOT lesbian partners. They also told me their impressions of "Minnesota Smith" which I will not repeat here... If anyone wants further details, just PM me. BTW, my 19 y.o son through hiked SOBO last year in 3mos. 2 wks. -wore Chacos the whole trip.

Actually Billdnc, they summited with me on Sept 15. Your daughter was kind enough to give me a ride into town in the back of her pickup. :)

Glo-Worm

billdnc
11-07-2006, 09:21
Actually Billdnc, they summited with me on Sept 15. Your daughter was kind enough to give me a ride into town in the back of her pickup. :)

Glo-Worm
Thanks for the correction. Now that I am retired, I find it hard to keep track of dates. All three of those girls are already off on new adventures.

DavidNH
11-07-2006, 09:51
jack,

Didn't mean to imply that at all. Guess one needs to be careful how one words things. I meant normal and descent in a supportive not derogatory way. I thought that Minnesota Smith was making an (incorrect) assumption based onthe fact that the two ladies were always together.

I am not really sure how to word it right now and dont want to drag this on anyway. One could go on and on about what is normal. And sexual orientation has nothing to do with being descent anyway.

David