PDA

View Full Version : need a thru-hike worthy pot...

mike!
10-11-2006, 21:24
I've got a titan mug, which i enjoy a lot, however it really doesnt have the capacity i would like. I'm travel solo, but im looking for something over 1 liter, but under 2 liters. i really dont wanna spend the money for titanium, so i was woundering if there are any aluminum offerings out there that are cheap and light. I wish antigravitygear had an inbetween size between thier 3 cup (to small) and 2 quart (to big)
thanks!
mike!

bigcranky
10-11-2006, 21:34
I know it's Ti, but I really like the Snow Peak 1400 --perfect size for 'real' cooking for one or two people. It's a good shape, too, -- not too tall or too wide, but just right. The lid has a handle so you could possibly use it as a frying pan, though I've never had the opportunity. (But hey, a bag of salmon, some tortillas, grated cheese, and some butter or oil, and you have quesadillas....)

Gaiter
10-11-2006, 21:34
find an old set of pots, i've got an old aluminum one thats the perfect size, found it in my dad's old camp set. sure it has a few dents on the sides but its a great lightweight pot and not to big, not too small, cleans out easily, and it was free for me so i don't worry about it like i would if i spent an arm on one of those titanium ones. I've also seen grease pots w/ lids from walmart used as pots on the trail.

hanna

Skidsteer
10-11-2006, 21:37
K-Mart grease pot (http://www.thebackpacker.com/pictures/pic/289hy5eif.php). Although it's not much over 1 qt./liter. Perhaps smaller than you're looking for.

fiddlehead
10-11-2006, 22:59
just hit the thrift stores. 1 1/2 litres works perfect for me. I have a handle from a pot that i liked from many years ago and keep pop-riveting onto my latest find. An aluminum pot lasts about 2 or 3 thru-hikes that way. You want a decent handle and a lid (saves fuel when you have a good fitting lid)
You can cook your food till it's about a minute or 5 from finished and then take it off the stove and let it sit with a lid on for 5 minutes and it'll be done just right. Takes patience when your hungry but saves a good bit of fuel.

otterman
10-12-2006, 07:41
The GSI Boiler works for me.