PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair Accessible Section of AT in Vermont

Newb
10-12-2006, 13:58
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=5528139&nav=4QcS

found this about 900ft or so of the AT being made wheelchair accessible. I have no problem with this, I just hope that large portions of the trail aren't "groomed" for easier access. I can see the whole trail becoming a paved path one day.

Blazing New Trails for People in Wheelchairs

Killington, Vermont - October 11, 2006
In the fields of Killington a big project is taking shape.
"Definitely hard work, it's a lot of fun," said Kelly Walsh with the Green Mountain Club.
While the Green Mountain Club is used to making trail repairs this is different.
They're building a boardwalk over a flood plain so people who love the outdoors and are in wheelchairs can enjoy the Appalachian trail.
"We're working on a handicapped accessible portion of the Appalachian trail which will be the only handicapped accessible part of the Appalachian trail in Vermont," said Matt Wels with the Green Mountain Club.
The boardwalk is 936 feet long and built with special material that is made from recycled plastic, it lasts longer then wood and is also less slippery.
"There were sections where we were drilling up to 75 feet deep for each of the piers to support the boardwalk properly," explained Walsh.
Green Mountain Club workers are also widening several hundred feet of trail so wheelchairs can travel the terrain.
"We have to make very shallow grades on all of the trail. There are regulations about how steep the trail can be," said Wels.
The project was not required by the federal government but is part of a new movement to build wheelchair accessible paths so more people can enjoy the outdoors. This area was picked because it is one of a few spots where doing all this work has such a big payoff.
At the end of it all, a view of Thundering Falls.
"I hope we do get a bunch of people out here who have not been able to experience areas like this before, or in a long time and get them outside enjoying this beautiful area," said Kelly Walsh.
A project these workers are proud to be part of.
"It will be very rewarding to know we've provided something like this for people to use," said Matt Wels.
The Thundering falls project is scheduled to be done this coming Spring. It will cost about $300,000 and was paid for by three groups, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, the National Park Service and The Green Mountain National Forest.

Newb
10-12-2006, 14:18
Does that mean that according the ADA all privvys should be equipped with handicapped accessable facilities?
I want to make it clear I'm not coming down on persons with disabilities or anything like that. I'm just offering it up for discussion.

Rambler
10-12-2006, 14:39
A very beautiful section of the AT is on a long boardwalk curving though a lowland marsh in the middle of New Jersey. My mother loved the out-of -doors and when in her eighties and wheel-chair bound, boardwalks such as these allowed her to continue to find peaceful moments in natural settings. In NJ, I saw several local people just out for an evening stroll. What a great resource to have nearby. I also have a sibling that is wheelchair bound. You would not believe how these types of boardwalks are appreciated. I thought it was ridiculous for the AMC to build a ramp in one of their remote huts in NH. Then I heard it was used by a guy in a wheelchair even though he had to be carried up by friends along much of the access trail. I remember reading about a one-legged guy who climbed Mt. Everest and then started a program to help disabled peolpe reach BaseCamp 1. Count your blessings.

MOWGLI
10-12-2006, 14:43
Count your blessings.

Amen Brother Rambler!

By the way, I lived 10 minutes from the boardwalk in Vernon. I have some great photos of it taken in December 2003 in my photo gallery.

Newb
10-12-2006, 21:52
Thanks for the wonderful feedback. You all make me greatful that we have facilities such as these and thankful that I can still access any venue because I'm still in good health.

Cosmo
10-12-2006, 22:31
It's a civil rights issue. People build stuff. The law says you can't build stuff that can't be used by everyone. The trail is not made by people in the same way a building is--it (to a large degree) depends on the land. So no, we don't have to make the whole trail accessible. If you are building a boardwalk, then the right thing to do is to make it conform to accessbility standards so everyone can use it. If you don't, you are essentially denying access to a specific group of people.

There is also some cool video on the GMC website of the construction of this section:
http://www.greenmountainclub.org/news.php?id=57

Cosmo

irritable_badger
10-12-2006, 22:35
There are a few handicap accessible shelters along the trail. There's a brand new one just after Max Patch; which luckily is mostly a downhill section so they should be able to just roll right in. The only problem I can forsee are the stiles...

maybe really long low angle ramps will replace stiles.

Oh or maybe they will rent Segway's at Neel's Gap that way they can just pave the whole trail and people can just scoot away; that's fair to everyone.

irritable_badger
10-12-2006, 22:37
That would actually be a lot of fun; taking one of those scooters all the way up the trail.

How come handicapped people can have a wheelchair but I can't have a bicycle? The damage to the trail is actually far worse from a wheelchair.

Alligator
10-12-2006, 22:43
That would actually be a lot of fun; taking one of those scooters all the way up the trail.

How come handicapped people can have a wheelchair but I can't have a bicycle? The damage to the trail is actually far worse from a wheelchair.Because you can walk asshat:D .

Newb
10-13-2006, 09:40
The only problem I can forsee are the stiles...

maybe really long low angle ramps will replace stiles.

Ummm. Moooooo! Look at the nice way out of the pasture.....Moooo....

irritable_badger
10-13-2006, 09:52
Ummm. Moooooo! Look at the nice way out of the pasture.....Moooo....

I guess you missed the sarcasm there :) In my handi-shelter example near Max Patch there is a stile located not too far before you get to the shelter. The stile is one of the gated walk-through jobs that is far too narrow to get a wheelchair through to begin with.

So it looks like a decision has to be made. Support wheelchair access to the trail or support dinner. Me I vote for the beef as handicapped people do not taste like veal; regardless of what you may have heard.

Alligator
10-13-2006, 10:15
Poor badger seems to have lost his thread and now needs somewhere else to troll.

irritable_badger
10-13-2006, 10:18
Poor badger seems to have lost his thread and now needs somewhere else to troll.

:banana

Do you know what to do with a dancing banana?

Just to clarify, I was posting on this thread before they closed my other one down. I have commented on the handi-trail issue in several other related threads, long before this one came about.

Gray Blazer
10-13-2006, 10:24
AT is handicapped accessible from Wayah Bald Parking lot to the tower and from Newfound Gap to handicapped toilets (not a great view there, better at Wayah Bald).

Alligator
10-13-2006, 10:31
:banana

Do you know what to do with a dancing banana?
Haven't a clue. Tell me how it's done banana felcher.

Just to clarify, I was posting on this thread before they closed my other one down. I have commented on the handi-trail issue in several other related threads, long before this one came about.A multi-tasking troll, how quaint.

RockyTrail
10-13-2006, 22:25
One thing I learned this past year is that any one of us is only about 1 millisecond from being in a wheelchair.
Unless, of course, you already are.
If not, be thankful, very thankful...

irritable_badger
10-13-2006, 23:19
Haven't a clue. Tell me how it's done banana felcher.
A multi-tasking troll, how quaint.

It almost seems like you are being aggressive towards me? Why?