PDA

View Full Version : Book stores?

SL_amani
10-12-2006, 19:18
Are there bookstores in the re-up towns?

The Weasel
10-12-2006, 19:23
While, with a certain amount of effort, I'm sure one could find them, I have no recollection of ever seeing one or, for that matter, knowing of anyone who really wanted to carry a book once they realized that (a) it weighs something, (b) they are so damn tired after eating at night that there is no reason to read, (c) books cost money and most thruhikers are broke or close to it, and (d) there are other things to do, including zenning out.

Libraries, on the other hand, are abundant, filled with books, and open to thruhikers, at least the ones who wash up first, but who mainly use the computers.

The Weasel

Blue Jay
10-12-2006, 22:12
Sorry, I could be forgetting some, but the first one I remember is in Front Royal. This is by far the main reason I use mail drops. Food is easy to get, books are not. Libraries often have a small number of paperbacks to sell but you may have to settle with romance novels.

Alligator
10-12-2006, 22:26
I wonder if you can general delivery from Amazon or Barnes and Noble:-? .

A used book store would be easier on the wallet I know. But then again, used books sometimes show up in searches too.

weary
10-12-2006, 22:47
Are there bookstores in the re-up towns?

Front Royal has a superb book store, selling both new and used books, and with a particularly great selection of natural history books and field guides to plants, flowers, and wild creatures of all kinds.

I try to stop there on every trip south from Maine. It was the store where I identified from field notes most of the plants I saw south of Shenandoah in my walk north in 1993.

Weary

rambunny
10-13-2006, 09:21
Almost all libraries have an area where they sell cheap used books.Some hostles have an area to take or leave books. You'll be suprised how books just happen.I enjoyed 3 Tom Robbins novels someone ahead of me left in shelters one thru-hike. 3rd thru i asked someone who knew my tastes to suprise me with a book every 300 miles,interesting and i passed them on. Good luck-i like to read on trail too!

SalParadise
11-14-2006, 02:23
The Damascus library always has a book sale during Trail Days with some good choices if you go early. And the bookstore in Great Barrington, Vermont, is the best one on the trail. The Wonderful Miss Janet is a small book-swap library at her place. But otherwise there isn't a whole lot--these are very small towns. That said, I always seemed to have a book with me, so you'll find a way if you like to read. Heck, New Hampshire forward many friends and I had about as many book-pounds as we did food-pounds. And if you like religious books, there's Bibles and sometimes other type books in the shelters you can take with you. Hanover has an awesome library, too. Bangor, Maine has a good used-book store if you're going southbound and are there.

Gaiter
11-14-2006, 04:49
a lot of hostels will have books in them.
i also noticed this wierd passing of the books: in the register people would mention leaving a book they had finished in the shelter, then a few shelters down there would either be the before mentioned book or another mention of leaving it, and you can only guess that someone else picked it up.

Appalachian Tater
11-14-2006, 05:25
A LOT of people carried paperbacks. Manchester Center had a very nice bookstore, Hanover, Rangely Center had bookstores. Many outfitters have a decent selection of outdoor-related books, including Walasi-Yi. Paperbacks are to be had for the taking at hostels, shelters, etc.

Baltimore Jack can probably name all of the towns with bookstores. (That would actually be a great list to have in the article section. Hint. Hint. )

Jaybird
11-14-2006, 06:17
Are there bookstores in the re-up towns?\

you can find books (paperbacks & others) @ most Outfitter stores (along the trail) & NOW most grocery/resupply stores carry paperbacks & magazines.

good luck with yer hike!:D

MOWGLI
11-14-2006, 07:45
Warwick, NY (http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-15,GGLD:en&q=bookstore&near=Warwick,+NY+10990&radius=0.0&latlng=41256389,-74360278,4312543130356312209&sa=X&oi=local&ct=result&cd=1) has two book stores, or they did this summer. One sells new books, the other sells used. They are practically across the street from one another - around the corner from the Laundromat. That's a town thats overlooked by lots of folks. LW has been there & enjoyed it. I lived there for 15 years.

It's way off the trail, but if you can drag your tail to Asheville, NC - Malaprops Bookstore (http://www.malaprops.com) is one of my favorite independent booksellers. Ashevile is a funky little town with a great music scene, cofee shops and an independent film center. There are two hostels in Asheville. FYI, Hot Springs would be the natural jumping off spot for Asheville.

Another overlooked trail town is East Stroudsburg, PA. It's not difficult to reach from Delaware Water Gap. It's a college town with a great Fine Arts Theatre, bookstore, bars, etc. There is a NASCAR race held near there every June. The Pocono 500 is planned for June 8-10, 2007 (http://www.poconoraceway.com/).

Wait a minute. I think NASCAR and reading are mutually exclusive. :rolleyes:
Just kidding.

Lone Wolf
11-14-2006, 07:51
Yes. Warwick, N.Y. is a great town. We spent 3 days there during Thanksgiving in 2000. Dartmouth has a great book store. Right on the trail. About the only good thing about Hanover.

the goat
11-14-2006, 11:07
gorham, nh has a good bookstore as well. it's pretty small, but the selection is great.

The Solemates
11-14-2006, 12:07
the machester center bookstore is very nice.

Jack Tarlin
11-14-2006, 13:05
I disagree very strongly with Weasel about books on the Trail; I couldn't live without them and always carry something to read.

In addition to the places previously named, here are a few other places where hikers can get books:

*The Walasi-Yi Center in Neel Gap has a small selection of books, mostly dealing with the Outdoors.

*The thrift store in Hiawassee has a small selection. The Library may have
others available for sale.

*There are several places to get books in Franklin; ask Ron Haven for details.

*The Public Library in Gatlinburg has a great selection, just ask a librarian.
There's also a cool little Civil War shop downtown, with all sorts of books.
I believe it's called The Armour House.

*Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs has a small selection of books for
sale, but there are some very good ones.

*In Erwin, there's a Wal-Mart; also, if you're there for more than a day,
Miss Janet goes to Johnson City very often; among other things, there's
an enormous Barnes and Noble. Likewise, if you stay at Kincora Hostel,
Bob Peoples often goes by the Wal-Mart in nearby Elizabethtown.

*Not so much in Virginia; asking at Public Libraries is probably your best bet.
Some of the larger supermarkets, like the massive Kroger's in Daleville, also
carry books.

*The Waynesboro Public Library usually has a large selection of paperbacks
for sale.

*Front Royal has a bookshop.

*There used to be a great little used bookstore in Harpers Ferry; I think it's
still there. The ATC office also has books for sale, nearly all of them Trail
related. If you're interested in American History, there's a wonderful little
store down in the Historical District, with mostly Civil War stuff.

*In Pennsylvania, try the public libraries. Also, there's usually a bunch of
paperbacks in the hiker boxes in the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon. Books are
available in East Stroudsburg, near Delaware Water Gap.

*Things get much better in New England. There are all sorts of places to
get books in Kent, Williamstown, and most NE trail towns.

*Northshire Bookstore in Manchester Center is probably the best bookstore on
or very near the Trail; don't miss it.

*The Dartmouth Bookstore (owned by Barnes and Noble) is excellent; there's
also a Borders in nearby West Lebanon. Also, on Main St in Hanover is
an excellent little used bookshop, the Left Bank. Eastern Mountain Sports
in West Lebanon has a good selection of outdoor books.

*There are several places to get books in Lincoln, NH, near N. Woodstock

*There's a small selection in Pinkham Notch.

*There are several shops in North Conway.

*There are a few places in Gorham, including Wal-Mart.

*Not much in Maine, tho there's a fantastic little bookstore in Rangeley.

In addition, many Outfitters have small selections; most hostels also have books, but each has different policies; in some places the books are supposed to stay there, so if in doubt, ask the owner or manager. In some places with lots of books, like Elmer's in Hot Springs, the books are absolutely supposed to stay there, so don't steal 'em.

There are all sorts of other possibilities, of course, if you have access to a car or get a bit off the Trail: Blacksburg VA, near Pearisburg is a college town with all sorts of shops; so is Charlottesville, near Waynesboro. The absolute best shop I've come across in my Trail travels is the Malaprop Bookstore in Asheville, NC; there's also a fantastic used bookstore several blocks away. If you plan to zero in the Hot Springs area and can get to Asheville, I highly recommend it.

I'm sure I've missed a bunch of places so I hope other folks chime in, this is a great thread.

SalParadise
11-14-2006, 14:53
No such place exists.

well it's that big tourist-town in Vermont. ice cream shops, movie theater, post office is a ways away.....

Lone Wolf
11-14-2006, 14:55
Great Barrington is in Massachusetts.

Appalachian Tater
11-14-2006, 14:56
well it's that big tourist-town in Vermont. ice cream shops, movie theater, post office is a ways away.....

Manchester Center?