PDA

View Full Version : Do you help maintainers?

Cosmo
10-12-2006, 22:37
Just curious about folk's habits when hiking. How much do you do when you come across a potential maintenance problem? Do you clear managable downed limbs, kick out clogged water bars?

SteveJ
10-12-2006, 23:07
I've stopped and helped a trail maintainer clear downed trees and limbs...least I could do...

Nean
10-13-2006, 00:14
I may not take off my pack but I like to say if you see a rock or stick on the trail after I've been by......... there used to be two. ;) :D I get satisfaction reaching down and pulling a limb of the trail as I pass by that hundreds of hikers have walked around.:confused: Basicly I try to do more each day than the average hiker does on a 5-6 month thruhike. :)

jlb2012
10-13-2006, 09:09
you forgot one possibility for the poll: "I come back with the tools, fix the problem and tell the maintainers what has been done"

This is what I sometimes do with serious blowdowns

SGT Rock
10-13-2006, 09:29
HOI is the man. Took care of some blowdowns for me while I was over here.

Thanks again HOI!

jlb2012
10-13-2006, 09:31
thank you SGT Rock for all that you do

waterboy99
10-13-2006, 10:16
The 2007 Trail Days theme is :Celebrating Trail Maintainers. The plan as of now is to have that theme as the logo on the Trail Days Tee shirt .

Blue Jay
10-13-2006, 11:41
In Cosmo's section of the trail it is very very rare for a problem to exist for more than a few days. It's a treat when I can find something to fix.

peakbagger
10-13-2006, 12:58
If I am slacking, I usually carry a small saw and usually will cut trees that are less than 6". Frequently the worse case is when the crown of the tree falls over the trail. By cutting key branches, the trail can be reopened without resorting to a chainsaw. I got a lot of practice in Georgia a few years ago when we were hiking a few days after the remnants of a Hurricane came through. (Even then, the GATC maintainers were out and cutting!)

Rain Man
10-13-2006, 17:14
... How much do you do when you come across a potential maintenance problem? Do you clear managable downed limbs, kick out clogged water bars?

My philosophy is that if I can move it (if it's a one-man job), then I move the stick or limb. Sometimes it requires breaking dry or rotten limbs or trunks. If it's a small thing, I flick it with my trekking poles.

I always send a report to the local maintainer/hiking club, but usually it's mostly congratulations, I'm happy to say.

I'm not sure I know enough of water bar mechanics to make things better or worse.

Rain:sunMan

bobgessner57
10-13-2006, 21:33
Pick up trash, always bring a plastic grocery bag to collect garbage from the trail and campsites/shelters.

Flick sticks off the trail, stop and wrestle the bigger ones. It always amazes me how many people will break stride to step across a raised stick than can be flung off the trail with one hand while barely slowing down.

Many thanks to all the designated maintainers.

Nean
10-14-2006, 00:17
Pick up trash, always bring a plastic grocery bag to collect garbage from the trail and campsites/shelters.

Flick sticks off the trail, stop and wrestle the bigger ones. It always amazes me how many people will break stride to step across a raised stick than can be flung off the trail with one hand while barely slowing down.

Many thanks to all the designated maintainers.

Great advice Bob!:)

Programbo
10-14-2006, 10:02
I don`t actually try and do any mechanical or structual trail maintaince as that`s more of a job for the crews (Unless it`s just a small branch in the trail etc)...But every month or so when I go on a day hike I`ll take a trash bag with me and tie it to my belt and will pick up all the litter I see along the way...I have to report that the trails between northern VA up to southern PA are relatively litter free,EXCEPT there is usually a lot closer to the trailheads and parking areas..But along the actual trail itself there is minimal stuff