PDA

View Full Version : Foothills Trail Experience complete w/ bear encounter

Earl Grey
10-13-2006, 00:24
So I spent some time in the wilderness of upstate South Carolina. Specifically Table Rock State Park and beyond with more beyond than state park. It's like stepping into a different world because of the rawness, undeveloped nature of the land. Consequently along with the raw land comes raw animals. These are wild animals and while you're in the country you are in their turf. Geographically Table Rock is in the beginning of what's known as the Blue Ridge Escarpment. This is where the land rises suddenly into the Appalachians from the flat piedmont region. One can actually see this at the top of Table Rock or Pinnacle Mountain. The elevation changes by 2,000+ ft within 2 miles which makes for very steep terrain. This makes the trails in the park strenuous and sometimes dangerous but it also make for high waterfalls from the various creeks in the region.

I arrived at Table Rock on Friday the 6th around 11:30 and was on the trail by noon. Starting at the trailhead I took the Pinnacle Mountain trail which leads to the start of the Foothills Trail. It took around 3 hours to get to the top of Pinnacle Mountain which has amazing views along the way. This is rugged trail with frequent steep ascents and some precarious positions around waterfalls. The view at Bald Rock Overlook was amazing and that day you could see for miles into the piedmont of South Carolina and Paris Mountain. Beyond that is the start of the Foothills Trail which begins near the summit of Pinnacle Mountain and follows a ridge to backside of the mountain. On the ridge there are rock outcrops which allow you to see Lake Keowee in the far distance. From here the trail winds across some creeks and a few mountains. I wanted to make it to Sassafras Mountain which is the highest point in SC by nightfall but this was not to be so I camped right on the trail near the summit of Hickorynut Mountain. That night a front was coming through and there was very gusty wind all night. It was so loud it sounded like a freight train coming from a distance and the roaring past at high speed. This sound would mask the sound of any bears that may have wanted to pay me a visit but fornuately that was not the case.

The next morning the wind had died down and I was able to make some breakfast and get on the way. Before I got to Sassafras Mountain I passed an old rock formation which is the remnants of an old cabin's chimney. This used to be the cabin of the area's earlist settler, John L. Cantrell. I arrived at the summit of Sassafras Mountain around 11am and looked around, signed the trail register and left. The top of the mountain is nothing special with just a parking lot and couple views. From here it was on to Chimneytop Gap and Laurel Valley. I really hit my stride here and was averaging over 3mph which put me at Laurel Valley and Hwy 178 around 2pm. Crossing a bridge over Eastatoe Creek puts you on the Laurel Valley segment of the trail. I slowed down here somewhat due to lack of water and unnecessary fast pace. The trail here generally follows an access road on the way to Laurel Fork Falls. I stopped around 4pm at a designated campsite for the night and started a fire. It wasn't as windy as it was the night before although the sounds of the night filled in the gap. Mainly it was owls and acorns falling from trees. The owls (I assumed there were 3) would leave and come back on the hour every hour, hoot to each other and then fly somewhere else. This made for a somewhat restless night.

I broke down camp at 7am and was on the trail by 730am trying to make my way all the way back to the car before sundown. I decided during the night to go all the way back because of coming bad weather and my knees were killing me. That morning I took 3 Aleve's and 2 more a few hours later so I could walk down hills. The combination of the weight and rough terrain put a tremendous amount of strain on my knees and I needed some rest. From the campsite it is 16.5 miles back to Table Rock which means I would have to average over 2mph to make it back before sundown. I was back at the top of Sassafras Mountain by 11:30am which was 30 minutes before schedule so I was feeling pretty good about the chances to make it back. After Sassafras however is the really tough, strenuous part of the hike so it would be a little slower going. One thing that kept nagging at me was the lack of water because at this point I was out and there wasnt any for about 4 miles. Being dehydrated is not a fun experience, my lips were chapped, couldn't swallow anything and no energy made for slow going. When I finally found a creek I jumped down in it to filter some water.

Before I got to creek I heard something rustling in the woods which isnt surprising so I didn't think anything of it. While I was getting water I heard something above me on the creek bank that sounded like a horse snorting so I turned to look and saw a BEAR. It was staring down at me, growling and jumping up down on its two front paws. I was squatted down at the time so I looked small to it and it probaly thought it could take me which being 400-450 lbs it probaly could but I wasn't going out without a fight. Black bears are usually timid unless its rabid or you mess with a cub with its mother is around. Fortunately neither of these conditions applied so I stood up and faced it to make myself look bigger. I started clapping my hands, yelling and whistling to try and scare it off which finally after a few tense moments it did leave, up the trail where I was going! I stood there frozen for about 5 minutes making lots of noise until I was sure it was gone and hopefully off the trail I was walking. Filtered some water, drunk about a liter, stored a liter and went on the way double speed. I wish I had got some pictures but it was over in 10 seconds. I don't think I have ever been more scared in my life.

After that I just kept my head down and went as fast as possible to get back to Pinnacle Mountain. I made it there around 2:30pm and had lunch on Bald Rock Overlook but didn't stay long as the weather looked like it was starting to turn bad. I made it back to the car around 5pm and was exhausted from being dehydrated and carrying 30lbs 16 miles in 10 hours up and down rugged terrain. Still it was an amazing experience and I can't wait to hike the whole thing.

Pictures are here (http://mooncube.org/v/Foothills+Trail/).

Mirrored from http://www.mooncube.org/2006/10/13/foothills-trail-experience/

MOWGLI
10-13-2006, 01:12
Thanks for sharing the report and the photos. The more people find out about this great trail, the more they're going to want to hike it! Glad you enjoyed it!

Just Jeff
10-13-2006, 01:50
Great pics. This is still my only completed long hike (long for me, anyway!), but of the parts of other trails I've hiked, I think it's still my favorite. It's got everything I like about hiking!

Thanks for sharing.

Egads
10-13-2006, 05:59
Blackmath,

Good report & great photos.

On a side note about your hurting knees, mine used to hurt too until I started using Lekis. It made a big difference in both impact to my knees and my hiking speed by using my entire body. On the down side, click click click tends to drive away the wildlife; but this may be a good thing in bear country.

I'd like to hit this trail in the late fall when the leaves have dropped to get the full impact of the views.

Egads

jlb2012
10-13-2006, 09:21
Blackmath,
On the down side, click click click tends to drive away the wildlife;

Egads

Lekis still work quite well with the rubber tips in place and they are MUCH quieter. I super-glued the rubber tips on after losing a couple tips.

RockyTrail
10-13-2006, 09:35
You fellows beat me to it...while reading about his knees, I was thinking "I used to do that until I got some trekking poles." It really takes the strain off the knees esp. on downhills.

Webs
10-13-2006, 09:37
:sun the Foothills Trail rocks!!!! It's so surprising to find that kind of beauty and challenging ruggedness in SC of all places! plentiful water (at least there was when I went this past spring) and gorgeous views and the grand finale (depending on your direction) at the summit! whoever hasn't experienced this trail who is anywhere near driving distance should check it out! 76 miles of southern beauty:)

peanuts
10-13-2006, 09:48
Awsome pictures and a very nice trip report...
I am glad you had a good time.As Egads and HOI state, lekis are a god send......

Rain Man
10-13-2006, 11:28
That's a great bear story (well, except for the 400-450 pound part! LOL). Thanks for sharing it.

You might want to post it or a link in this thread about actual bear encounters...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2878&highlight=ACTUAL+face-to-face

Rain:sunMan

white rabbit
10-13-2006, 11:36
Nice!! I will be on the FHT next month.

bigcranky
10-13-2006, 20:22
Nice trip report.

On your knee problems: first, trekking poles will help a lot. Second, be careful with naproxen sodium (Aleve). It's easy to take too much. I find that one pill at breakfast and one at dinner, starting 2 or 3 days before the hike, helps prevent inflammation and pain in my knees. Finally, hiking too fast *really* kills my knees, especially on the downhills.

This trail sounds great -- I need to go check it out.

Earl Grey
10-13-2006, 21:41
Nice trip report.

On your knee problems: first, trekking poles will help a lot. Second, be careful with naproxen sodium (Aleve). It's easy to take too much. I find that one pill at breakfast and one at dinner, starting 2 or 3 days before the hike, helps prevent inflammation and pain in my knees. Finally, hiking too fast *really* kills my knees, especially on the downhills.

This trail sounds great -- I need to go check it out.

As an aside I do have trekking poles but I think the running I do has already done damage on the knees and the hiking will exacerbate it. I forgot to put in the bear story was that I was going to use a trekking pole as a "spear" in that if got real close and attacked me I was going to jab it as hard as I could into its chest.

TIDE-HSV
10-13-2006, 22:03
correctly...

Hammock Hanger
10-16-2006, 17:03
We were out there on Fridar the 6th as well. Sorry we didn't cross paths... then again if you are a guy named Scott we did! We took it real slow and really enjoyed ourselves. (Even got in a little skinny dipping.)Sue/HH

Hammock Hanger
10-16-2006, 17:05
Hey Peanuts, what's with having MY avatar!!!!! Only kiding but I do like it. Sue/Hammock Hanger

peanuts
10-16-2006, 19:22
I know:D....but don't blame me...blame ritblake, he created it and attroll added it to the default avatars......:banana:D:D

Hammock Hanger
10-16-2006, 19:26
I have a red fox hanging in a hammock that I have used for years. I tried and tried to get it posted as an avatar but could never get it small enough, no matter how I tried. :(

Sue/THE Hammock Hanger

peanuts
10-16-2006, 19:29
show it to ritblake and see what he can do with it!

Mother Nature
10-17-2006, 09:56
The Foothills Trail is a jewel! It had been high on my radar for sometime and I recommend it to anyone wanting a wilderness adventure. The trail is superbly maintained, tough on the knees, and gets etched in your memory. The only wildlife I saw out there was Hammock Hanger. LOL!!!!!!

I would love to do it again when the leaves drop for even more winter views of the lakes and surrounding area. I would think anyone wanting to test their AT legs could get a sense of the trail life and would be a good equipment test. Resupply over this trail when done as a thruhike is a challenge. We stashed a vehicle with supplies midway.

Mother Nature

Hammock Hanger
10-17-2006, 10:22
The Foothills Trail is a jewel! It had been high on my radar for sometime and I recommend it to anyone wanting a wilderness adventure. The trail is superbly maintained, tough on the knees, and gets etched in your memory. The only wildlife I saw out there was Hammock Hanger. LOL!!!!!!

I would love to do it again when the leaves drop for even more winter views of the lakes and surrounding area. I would think anyone wanting to test their AT legs could get a sense of the trail life and would be a good equipment test. Resupply over this trail when done as a thruhike is a challenge. We stashed a vehicle with supplies midway.

Mother Nature

Me wild!!! Now Mother Nature you are the WILD WOMAN!!

I saw a deer and a rattlesnake.

I think that would be a wonderful winter hike for views. However, I don't do cold.... burr!

Mountain Maiden
10-17-2006, 11:42
THe FHT is in my backyard, literally (my property backs up to Horsepasture Rd). One of my favorite wintertime hikes is from Sassafrass to Laurel Valley in the SNOW! Not that tough, easy access (parking lot at Trail Head) and one that most everyone can do and enjoy.

And, the fall/winter season is definitely the best time to hike from Laurel Valley to Laurel Fork.. In the summertime, it can be a long green, SUFFOCATING tunnel.

Most of the bears are not as large as the one Blackmath encountered so this must be my resident bear. He gets around quite a bit and I try to hide him from the hunters during bear season!

The spur trails, Eastatoe Gorge and Caesars Head are also not to be missed! There is good camping in the gorge area and if you follow the PINK blazes--you can come out into Eastatoe Valley and access Eastatoe Falls--a real treat!

This time of the year--Caesers Head is incredibly beautiful!! An all day hike but not tooo tough and well worth it!

NOTE: At the road crossing of Hwy 178 (Laurel Valley to Sassafrass--across from Eastatoe Creek (BIG creek) to the left of the lot--you will see a small rock wall--at that point is a WATER spigot. HELP YOURSELF!! The water is from a 280' deep well--it is fantastic water! If anyone says anything--tell them Sunny said it is ok!

Yep--FHT can be a challenge but the reward is worth it!!

PS Blackmath--Thanks for all the photos--made me sooo homesick, tho'!!

Mother Nature
10-17-2006, 13:49
The trail world is small! Sunrise, we met Sunset at the Gathering. He stopped as he was passing by us and overheard conversation about the Foothills Trail.

Lucky you to be so close to such a wonderful trail!

Mother Nature

Mountain Maiden
10-17-2006, 14:26
That is what I love about the Hiking Community--the closeness and the surprises!

Did Sunset tell you his ancestors OWNED Table Rock? And, some of his ancestors had a mill down by the river near Laurel Fork. You can still see some of the remains there.

I hope you will return often to enjoy FHT and the Blue Ridge Escarpment. It is full of rich history and beauty.

Hiker Hugs, Sunrise

Earl Grey
10-17-2006, 17:14
THe FHT is in my backyard, literally (my property backs up to Horsepasture Rd). One of my favorite wintertime hikes is from Sassafrass to Laurel Valley in the SNOW! Not that tough, easy access (parking lot at Trail Head) and one that most everyone can do and enjoy.

And, the fall/winter season is definitely the best time to hike from Laurel Valley to Laurel Fork.. In the summertime, it can be a long green, SUFFOCATING tunnel.

Most of the bears are not as large as the one Blackmath encountered so this must be my resident bear. He gets around quite a bit and I try to hide him from the hunters during bear season!

The spur trails, Eastatoe Gorge and Caesars Head are also not to be missed! There is good camping in the gorge area and if you follow the PINK blazes--you can come out into Eastatoe Valley and access Eastatoe Falls--a real treat!

This time of the year--Caesers Head is incredibly beautiful!! An all day hike but not tooo tough and well worth it!

NOTE: At the road crossing of Hwy 178 (Laurel Valley to Sassafrass--across from Eastatoe Creek (BIG creek) to the left of the lot--you will see a small rock wall--at that point is a WATER spigot. HELP YOURSELF!! The water is from a 280' deep well--it is fantastic water! If anyone says anything--tell them Sunny said it is ok!

Yep--FHT can be a challenge but the reward is worth it!!

PS Blackmath--Thanks for all the photos--made me sooo homesick, tho'!!

I really could have used that water then! I noticed a sign there about a restaurant but its closed? Whats the story with that one cause I would have stopped at a place like that if I could have to eat.

How much does it usually snow up there around Sassafras and beyond because that sounds like fun right there.

Where does that access road go up to from Hwy 178? I didnt get all the way to the falls because I stopped at that designated campsite and had to turn around.

Im glad your bear didnt attack me, you must have taught him well. Ask him if he remembers me next time you see him. :p

Mountain Maiden
10-17-2006, 18:08
I really could have used that water then! I noticed a sign there about a restaurant but its closed? Whats the story with that one cause I would have stopped at a place like that if I could have to eat.

How much does it usually snow up there around Sassafras and beyond because that sounds like fun right there.

Where does that access road go up to from Hwy 178? I didnt get all the way to the falls because I stopped at that designated campsite and had to turn around.

Im glad your bear didnt attack me, you must have taught him well. Ask him if he remembers me next time you see him. :p

Wellll, sort of a long story..but...bottom line--the aforementioned "SUNSET" (ga-me 02, 04, PCT 06) aka Frank Masters, gave the restaurant, the surrounding land, etc., to the people of State of SC in 1999 to be included in the Jocassee Gorges section of the FHT.

Jan/Feb are the best months for snow. But, even then, it is not a blizzard by any means. Just enough to make it interesting hiking and BEAUTIFUL looking across the neighboring mountains.

The access road "The Horsepasture Road" traverses thru to Eastatoe--but it can be rough going in a vehicle. And, it may be closed at times for maintenance, lack of State funds, etc. You can also access Jumping Off Rock from HP road. It is an incredible overlook and especially gorgeous this time of year.

BTW--Blackmath--was there a reason you did not draw from the creek?

Yes, well trained bear. Has lots of "friends" in the area, too. So, be Bear Aware!

:sun

Earl Grey
10-17-2006, 23:49
Wellll, sort of a long story..but...bottom line--the aforementioned "SUNSET" (ga-me 02, 04, PCT 06) aka Frank Masters, gave the restaurant, the surrounding land, etc., to the people of State of SC in 1999 to be included in the Jocassee Gorges section of the FHT.

Jan/Feb are the best months for snow. But, even then, it is not a blizzard by any means. Just enough to make it interesting hiking and BEAUTIFUL looking across the neighboring mountains.

The access road "The Horsepasture Road" traverses thru to Eastatoe--but it can be rough going in a vehicle. And, it may be closed at times for maintenance, lack of State funds, etc. You can also access Jumping Off Rock from HP road. It is an incredible overlook and especially gorgeous this time of year.

BTW--Blackmath--was there a reason you did not draw from the creek?

Yes, well trained bear. Has lots of "friends" in the area, too. So, be Bear Aware!

:sun

Ah that explains it then. The reason I didnt draw from the creek is because I didnt see a good way to get down to it. Everywhere I looked it was steep but I ddint look downstream that far.

OldStormcrow
10-18-2006, 09:20
On the Foothills Trail a number of people (myself included) have run into what I call a "tourist bear" at the overhanging rock ledge with the spring running out of it at Pinnacle Mtn. in Table Rock State Park. I was alone and limping down the hill toward the parking lot with a pulled knee muscle, so I wasn't making much noise. I rounded the curve in the trail approaching the spring and almost stepped on the bear hanging out in the brush beside the trail. We were both completely surprised and the bear tried to climb a relatively small fallen pine tree propped against the cliff face. About 2/3 of the way up the bear ran out of climbable tree and hung there looking back at me. I discretely backed up the trail the way I had come and gave it a bit more room. I stood there for a while making noises and such so it would know exactly where I was, even though I was out of it's range of site. It eventually climbed back down and ran off through the woods. Later that day I ran into several other folks at the bottom of the mountain who had also run into it. I'm assuming that it had been hanging around the spring, which is a popular break spot for uphill hikers, and mooching or finding leftover food scraps. I did reach up and pull my .357 magnum out of the top front pocket on my pack while I waited, not that I would have ever shot the bear. It does make a huge bang and flash, though, if needed to scare off 4-legged critters. The area that the Foothills Trail goes through is the only place in SC where there is a hunting season for bears, sometime around the middle of November. On the same trip I ran across a bobcat, a gray fox, and tons o' turkey and deer. I also had a mother bear and her two cubs try to climb into my deer hunting blind with me one day (just a few miles from the Foothills Trail) because they couldn't see me but could smell the apple I was eating. They were just in front of me when I finally chucked the apple core over the top of the blind and hit the mother bear on the head with it to let her know I was there. They went back down the hill and entertained me by ripping up logs and eating grubs for a good while. If you want to see wildlife, stay quiet. If you don't want to see bears, be noisy.....nuff said.

Nightwalker
11-24-2006, 03:55
Ah that explains it then. The reason I didnt draw from the creek is because I didnt see a good way to get down to it. Everywhere I looked it was steep but I ddint look downstream that far.

Cross the road and go down on the left (North) Side of the bridge. Takes you right down to some great water.