PDA

View Full Version : Skills Learned on A/T Transferable?

ridgewalker777
10-13-2006, 10:28
Here's a thought--after finishing my A/T hiking, I found some of the skills used hiking in other parts of life. The physical fitness acquired, the release of tension, are transferable, the aesthetic experience enriches the rest of our life and other people. Is it more or less likely now that we will walk to town or even walk across a parking lot?
I found myself being less tolerant of tedious life situations--"take a hike" morphs into "I'm outa here". That's the flip side--have we become more aloof from civilized society justifying it by contrast with the healthy order of nature? Are we capable of being conscious of our departure from family or orderly society, a moral declension? Man's capacity for self-deception is virtually unlimited--how do we balance freedom and responsibility?

Footslogger
10-13-2006, 10:30
I learned how to do a snot rocket, which has been of enormous value.

'Slogger

Kerosene
10-13-2006, 11:12
Between your equipment and camping skills, you should feel much more prepared for a power outage. Shoot, I have enough extra equipment that I can outfit my whole family for a few weeks in the dead of winter if I can get access to water.

ShakeyLeggs
10-13-2006, 11:59
I have found that I am more tolerant of unexpected problems in everyday life. I have also found that I have flashbacks as well. A sight, a sound, a smell will bring me back to the trail. I really like it when this happens and do anticipate these occurances.