PDA

View Full Version : Google News About AT

The Weasel
10-13-2006, 14:09
A fairly cool feature I just discovered on Google is on their news page. If you don't know it, the page is news.google.com . It's essentially a 'front page' newspaper collected from a couple gazillion websites/newspapers/tv whatevers. It's good.

In the right side of the top of the page, it has a place to "Personalize" the page, by choosing to add or delete sections. "Standard Sections" is one choice (look at it if you want to remove or rearrange the defaults). The other choice is pretty neat: If you click on "Custom Section" you can "add" a section. Type "Appalachian Trail" (in quotes so you don't get every news story in the world that has "trail" in it) and then save it. There will be a news section on the "front page" just for AT news, which you can see the top/most recent several stories and then everything in recent history.

For us AT junkies, it's kinda neat. Unless you all know about it.

The Weasel

SGT Rock
10-13-2006, 14:54
You should also try google news alerts. I have this set up for the Benton MacKaye trail back at home.

soad
10-13-2006, 16:43
Nice idea, thanks!!!!:D

Kerosene
10-14-2006, 11:02
I'm set up to get a weekly message with news alerts about the AT. Of course, a high percentage of the recent ones talk about the winning streak of the horse, Appalachian Trail, at various races.

attroll
10-14-2006, 12:01
I have been thinking about adding an RSS feed onto the forums to have inputs put in from Goggle every time there is an "Appalachian trail" article that pops up. Still don't know if this will be a hassle yet or not.

ShakeyLeggs
10-14-2006, 12:18
I have been using the google alerts for the AT & the PCT for a while now.