PDA

View Full Version : Hammock the CT?

shades of blue
10-13-2006, 14:58
I'm thinking about thru-hiking the CT summer of 2007. Is it possible/advisable to hammock the trail? I'm in the early stages of planning this hike. I'm thinking about a start date of July 8, 2007. I plan on staying in Breckenridge a week before the hike with my wife at time share to get a head start on adjusting to the altitude. My first trip to CO was last year and I had a hard time adjusting to the altitude. Does anyone have ideas about how the trail and gear might be different than the AT? I've sectioned the AT from GAME.
Thanks!

Just Jeff
10-13-2006, 16:16
I've seen snow in June at 7000'. Be ready for any weather and any temps.

Summertime in much of the Colorado Rockies sees thunderstorms every afternoon that you can set your watch by. Don't be on a ridgeline or peak.

Other than that, the parts I'm familiar with would easily take a hammock except for above treeline. I haven't done the CT so I couldn't say for sure how a hammock would fare on that particular trail.

Black Toe
10-14-2006, 09:30
I believe Roni used a hammock the CT this past summer. Pretty certain he had a journal at www.trailjournals.com. You can do it but you are limited as to where you can camp. Coming from Indianapolis I to struggled with the altitude when I was on the trail in '04, even after a week in the 'Springs before I started. But it got better. Having never hiked the AT I can't compare the two. I can recommend bringing sun protection like long pants, long sleeve shirt and a sun hat. Water was good in '04 but their can be some long stretches without even in a good water year. The most helpful thing I can tell you is visit www.pmags.com. He has the best info around on the CT. Good luck and have fun.

Houdini
10-30-2006, 02:29
Hey Shades of Blue,
I think we met a few times in Maine back in '05. Having thru-hiked the CT, I would say that it is certainly possible to hammock the entire hike. However, using a hammock as your only shelter may end up dictating daily mileage in some sections with long stretches above treeline. This may or may not become a major concern depending on your pre-hike conditioning. I personally enjoy cowboy camping above treeline (observing LNT practices of course) because night time at altitude is truly awe inspiring, but it was always comforting to know I had a tent at the ready should the weather take a turn. The lightning storms in the Rockies are fierce if not downright terrifying at times. I alway camp within a reasonable distance of the trees in case things become hairy enough to warrant a fast getaway. Personally, I enjoy the security of a tent, but if you plan on avoiding camping up high altogether, a hammock is a viable option. Have a great hike!

Houdini

fiddlehead
10-30-2006, 08:45
I agree with Houdini. Lots of trees. I used my sil-shelter which requires a pole which i don't carry, I just find a stick to use everynight and i never had a problem finding one nearby. One night, i wanted to camp up above treeline (to enjoy the awesome views) so i just carried one up from the last trees i saw. It was a great night. You'll have to give up those but it's not a problem as the CT is usually in the trees. (the CDT, where it branches off from the CT is usually the nicer trail if you like above treeline stuff)
But it does often have lightning and rain storms in the afternoon that you should be aware of where you are planning to be at those times. Gear for rain on that trail. It's a beauty though

got milf?
11-02-2006, 16:58
I'm thinking about thru-hiking the CT summer of 2007. Is it possible/advisable to hammock the trail? I'm in the early stages of planning this hike. I'm thinking about a start date of July 8, 2007. I plan on staying in Breckenridge a week before the hike with my wife at time share to get a head start on adjusting to the altitude. My first trip to CO was last year and I had a hard time adjusting to the altitude. Does anyone have ideas about how the trail and gear might be different than the AT? I've sectioned the AT from GAME.
Thanks!

On adjusting to altitude, you might want to start your hike at the Waterton Canyon trailhead (Denver). The trail rises gradually for the first 100 miles to Breckenridge, giving you plenty of time to adjust naturally. If you go straight to Breck which is over 9,000 feet from a low altitude, you'll feel it. However, if you want to go straight to Breckenridge for the wife, I suggest you get a prescription of Diamox, which will speed up your acclimation.

shades of blue
11-02-2006, 17:25
Thanks guys, very good advice. Houdini, I'm trying to place your face with your name, where do you remember us running into each other?

Houdini
11-06-2006, 01:55
I believe we met briefly in Stratton at the Stratton Motel, though my memory might be a bit fuzzy. There was a big group of hikers there at the time.

Houdini

shades of blue
11-06-2006, 12:45
I remember now...wasn't Montana Lush there at the same time? It's great to have memories of the trail remembered.

Houdini
11-12-2006, 06:15
Yup... she was there all right. Stratton was a great place for a rest. Don's hospitality and accomodations were second to none. I might still be there if Stratton wasn't so close to Katahdin =P. If you need a ride to the trailhead, don't hesitate to PM me. Just give me some notice. I'll be happy to lend a hand, and it'd be great to talk trail.

Houdini

highway
11-12-2006, 09:55
Thanks!

In my section hiking of the CDT I have hiked portions of the CT, which is usually lower, therefore, more trees. But with the hammock,you will have to plan a little more carefully where you want stop. And that is much better said than done! But be prepared to occasionally be above treeline when the distance is to great and the miles to long to allow you to descend. In a pinch you can cover yourself with your hammock's tarp. personally, I would do it. In fact, I have always taken something like a silshelter just for that reason but my bones have begun to ache far to much lately so I have decided to take the hammock next time anyway. Its much better to camp lower as its awfully windy and cold above 12000 feet, even in July & August, and even in July, all of the ice fields in the small drainages may not have melted completely. Its tough but its awesomely beautiful!

You may not always be affected by altitude sickness, even coming directly from lower elevations, but you should learn what it is, its symptoms and know exactly what HAPE & HACE are. Diamox might work better if you take it before the trip, like a couple of days or so, and continue taking it for a few days into your initial trip, until, say, your appetite returns and your headaches goes away. And you might not get it at all, especially if you have the time to acclimatize at lower elevation. On occasion I have not gotten it going from 26' to 12'000 feet in 2 days. Other times the appetite loss and headaches are so severe I have had to go lower for a while. The body is wierd like that-at least mine is. Maybe its just old:cool:

And a couple of thoughts about lightning. Its true that you dont want to be exposed on ridges during a storm but all storms are not lightning storms. And you dont always have the latitude of waiting them out, when there are "miles to go before you sleep". You will often find yourself hunkered under the partial protection of a mountain spruce, at the bottom of a huge mountain, watching the narrow, tiny trail zig-zagging way high up and over the top, obscured by clouds, accompanied by the clapping of thunder and in a pouring rain, wondering should I or shouldnt I? In the beginning you want. After a while its 'what the hell' and you go for it.

Its the very same attitude you should take with the hammock decision. You will 'adapt and overcome', and have the time of your life doing so:)

shades of blue
11-12-2006, 10:18
Thanks guys, very good advice. Houdini, Stratton was a pretty cool place and I loved the hiking in the area. I really miss Maine and New Hampshire (although NC and TN are wonderful areas to live in). Highway, thanks for the info and the thoughts about lightening. Lightening has always been the thing that scares me the most about being outdoors. I've learned the weather so well here in the east that I can accomodate for it, and now I'm not worried about hiking out here. The western weather patterns are yet unlearned to me, but your thoughts on it Highway, lead me to believe that I will adjust/adapt and overcome, just like I did on the AT.
Thanks!

Sly
11-12-2006, 13:52
Hey Shades, I plan on hiking the CT next summer also. I'm not quite sure of my start date, but it will be from Denver.

I got the guidebook, the databook and the maps on CD. If you come to the SoRuck, I'll bring them along.

freefall
11-12-2006, 15:18
With the Waterton TH just a few miles from my house, I've hiked the first few segments(Waterton to Kenosha Pass). I used my hammock 90% of the time. the other times I cowboy camped.
Just Jeff is right on about getting off ridgeline in the afternoons, I just adjust my hiking schedule to hit the peaks and ridges by noon and then play it by ear. If a storm looks like it's brewing, I'll get to treeline and then have lunch a nap, etc... then hike for a couple of hours after it passes.
FWIW- The campsite at Leaning Rocks is great. There's no water there but you can fill up at Bear Creek if you're heading south or at S. Platte Canyon heading north. Awsome views for such low elevation.

shades of blue
11-13-2006, 10:02
Hey Shades, I plan on hiking the CT next summer also. I'm not quite sure of my start date, but it will be from Denver.

I got the guidebook, the databook and the maps on CD. If you come to the SoRuck, I'll bring them along.

I'll definately come to SoRuck, do I need to sign up anywhere? I'll be starting from Denver also. I look forward to seeing you there and talking about the trail.

shades of blue
12-11-2006, 22:21
If I plan my sleeping gear down to around 20 degrees, will that be sufficient for Late June-Mid August hiking? I've been thinking about the hammock, and I'm still going with that idea. It's either take a quilt and Pea Pod (sleeping bag that goes around my hammock) or take the Pea Pod and my WM Versalite which is rated at 10 degrees and a 1/4 inch full length pad + an emergency blanket as a vapor barrier between the pea pod and the hammock. That will be more weight, but it will provide me with more protection if I have to go to ground.

Does anyone know how bugs compare to the AT during this time? My hammock has bug netting, but if I have to set up the tarp without the hammock, it will be too claustorphobic for me to use. I can handle some bugs, but the idea of the bugs like they were in MA would be too much.

Mags
12-12-2006, 02:07
A 20F bag will be sufficient for that time of the year. Though a freak snowstorm can happen any time, your chances of getting one are considerably less at that time.

As for the bugs, I have yet to see bugs nearly as bad as other areas. Don't forget, you will be pretty high up most of the time.

The lower areas near Denver may get a few, and likewise jsut before you get into Durango. The rest of the time? Think it will be very tolerable. No where as bad as Mosquitochussets! :)

highway
12-12-2006, 08:54
If I plan my sleeping gear down to around 20 degrees, will that be sufficient for Late June-Mid August hiking?

I've been thinking about the hammock, and I'm still going with that idea.

It's either take a quilt and Pea Pod (sleeping bag that goes around my hammock) or take the Pea Pod and my WM Versalite which is rated at 10 degrees and a 1/4 inch full length pad + an emergency blanket as a vapor barrier between the pea pod and the hammock. That will be more weight, but it will provide me with more protection if I have to go to ground.

Does anyone know how bugs compare to the AT during this time? My hammock has bug netting, but if I have to set up the tarp without the hammock, it will be too claustorphobic for me to use. I can handle some bugs, but the idea of the bugs like they were in MA would be too much.

(1) Sleeping Bag. A 20 degree is more sufficient. I have been section hiking the CDT, which is higher, and take just a 30F FF Wren and I hike in shorts and sandals-even in the Weimenuche of the San Juans. If its really cold i sleep in some clothes and have yet to be cold once my body heat fills up the mummy bag

(2) Hammock on the CT. I am going to start using the hammock there on future hikes. I decided this last trip that my bones are too old to sleep well on the ground anymore. Besides, since it is easy to cowboy camp in the west if you are forced to bivouck above treeline, so you can sleep on part of the hammock and pull the top over you if it snows or even rains. Take it for certain. The CT is usually lower.

(3) Bugs. If you are from the east, you will discover that western bugs are much less prevalent. I seldom see them at all. If they are a problem, keep walking up hill. I dont even take Deet anymore and my Silshelter doesnt even have netting, either. The HH does but I think that will help on the colder nights, keeping some heat in, more so than for bug protection.

(4) Fishing for wild rainbow Trout. I never have taken fishing gear while hiking but I am going to change, I suspect. This past july I walked into a boy scout group camped alongside the CDT beside Blue Lake near the New Mexico-Colorado border and they caught and released oodles of trout, keeping and eating just a few of them. In fact if you could get a line and fly or lure of any sort out into the water you would easily catch some. Colorado is full of lakes like that, you will discover, and the only way to get to them is to walk or ride a horse so they will stay that way, too. I walked:D Anyway, they had ridden in by horseback and was amazed I had walked from the high country and so invited me to a breakfast of pancakes, elk steaks, eggs, trout. It was all I could eat and was considerably better than any bags of grits or oatmeal I had in my pack. So, if you have any desire at all to fish for trout, you'll never get a better chance:-? Ponder it. I am, for my next trip

Bearpaw
11-19-2007, 14:26
I believe Roni used a hammock the CT this past summer. Pretty certain he had a journal at www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com).

You can find Roni's Journal at http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4640. Yes, he used a hammock and he was super proud of it in the midst of all the "mere ground-dwellers":cool: . He did a couple of thing to stay warmer.

1) He used foam pad AND he beefed it up with a car windshield solar reflector. Yes, I mean the kind you put up in the windshield to keep the car from roasting when you get in on a hot day. Roni was very proud of how well it worked for only about $8. For those of you who don't know Roni, he takes great pride in spending the least possible amount of money at all times. A solid, wider, somewhat more expensive and heavier pad would likely do an even better job of insulating on a cold night. You might even want to invest in an underquilt. (Roni nearly gagged at such an expensive option :eek: )

2) He never slept in valleys. He would often sit with me and eat his dinner at a valley and its water source, but then he would hike another half-mile to a mile uphill. He explained that just a few hundred feet up would take you above the thermal layer of cold that settled into a valley.

This past summer I discovered the truth of this on the Sheltowee Trace in Kentucky. One night I had to pack up a gallon of water to get out of Natural Bridge State Park and dry camp near "the Narrows, about 400 feet above the surrounding valleys. I slept so warm I never even used my pad that night. The next night, I hammocked in a river valley and was chilly enough to need my pad before it was fully dark. Though the regional temps were virtually identical both nights, it was at least 10 degrees warmer (if not more) just 400 feet higher than in the valleys below.

I hope this will help offer some insight in how to hedge your bets when hammocking on the CT.

SGT Rock
11-19-2007, 14:32
I would imagine if you are using a hammock like a Clark or a Hennessy you may want to change the tarp to something that has some flexability so you could use it alone as your shelter when you are forced to camp away from trees or places where you can use a hammock. I have set up hammocks as hammocks without trees - it just takes finding the right place wich is often harder than just finding some trees. I've strung them between vehicles, on fence corners (between two poles at the corner), off buildings. When I get around to the CDT and PCT I figure I can bring a Hennessy but use an Etowah Survivor Tarp.