PDA

View Full Version : Guys posting in the female forum...

mdionne
10-13-2006, 15:07
Cut it out. You shouldn't even be in there. It's like going into the girl's bathroom on purpose. :D

Heater
10-13-2006, 15:16
Cut it out. You shouldn't even be in there. It's like going into the girl's bathroom on purpose. :D

Where's the men's forum? :rolleyes:

Pacific Tortuga
10-13-2006, 15:37

Can we look or is that to Bates Motel-ish ?

virtualfrog
10-13-2006, 16:40
I am a girl. Just a very butch, hairy one. :)

neighbor dave
10-13-2006, 17:04
:-? why?:-?

Nean
10-14-2006, 00:13
I am a girl. Just a very butch, hairy one.

Well then :eek:................ how lucky you are to live in Vermont :-? .......................................Ben :rolleyes: :D

SGT Rock
10-14-2006, 04:00
I gave you guys a forum - it is called the humor forum. :p

Programbo
10-14-2006, 08:35
I don't know..I`ve read some posts on there where gals were asking for advice from other gals which was on a topic that wasn`t gender specific (Like gear) and in many cases they would have gotten good advice from the guys...And even the topics where there is discussion which seems to be gender specific I think a male opinion might help the original poster understand things better. I mean asking other women why men do something isn`t going to really get you a clear answer...So a female only forum is a great idea if the topics are female only in nature...Maybe the forum admin could move topics which don`t quite fit the "female only" areas onto a more appropriate board so guys wouldn`t feel the need to slip in there and reply when they have something of value to add to the discussion

spandau
10-14-2006, 09:59
I like to hear what the guys have to say, so long as everyone stays cordial.

I can't see them contributing to the plumbing-related threads very much, though. :)

Emsadida
10-14-2006, 10:25
I can't see them contributing to the plumbing-related threads very much, though. :)

Unless they have experience from their significant others...

Just Jeff
10-14-2006, 11:49
When the female forum was originally set up, the agreement was to NOT limit it to ONLY females, but just to provide a place where they could talk about female issues. Kinda like the straight-foward forum - just a more appropriate place where they knew they could look for their issues. And most of the time, I just skip over topics in the female forum b/c I know that's what it's about. When I see something that interests me, sometimes I'll poke my head in. (Luckily, everyone's dressed so it's not like going into the girl's bathroom :D )

Just b/c it's a topic that interests females doesn't mean males don't have valid input. As I understood the original idea when setting up the forum, that's how the mods wanted it. If topics are TOO sensitive, they shouldn't be discussed on a public board. There's a female-only group at Yahoo where they try to make sure every member is female - maybe that's a more appropriate place for these issues.

At least that's how I understood the original discussions. I'm not a mod so I could be wrong. If females have a problem with how it's working, they should discuss it with a mod. Rock seems to have handled it well this time. Is there a problem beyond this?

attroll
10-14-2006, 11:57
The way I look at it is if the female wants inputs from everyone then they will post their question in the open forums and if she only wants inputs from other females she will post it in the female forums.

The specific post we are talking about was specifically posted to the females and was meant for females only. The poster said "A discussion about this article, among us girls". This was why someone brought this up. Because guys started posting there two cents in when it was not intended for that.

Just Jeff
10-14-2006, 12:04
Guilty. No more posts from me in there.

K0OPG
10-16-2006, 09:04
Thanks ATTROLL, The other post that Rock moved is the perfect example. The guys talk about how vague the women are sometimes and how they should be more specific...well...hello guys...the forum is "for women only" and the other thread started out with something about a discussion "amoung us girls" without the guys input. I don't think you could get more specific and direct and to the point than that...yet there are still guys putting their two cents in on the "women only" forums.If they want our thoughts on something I'm sure they will ask for it in a different forum. Yes, I look through the threads and if I find something or that interest me I will look at the thread. No posting though.

jaywalke
10-16-2006, 09:20
When I visit WB, I just hit "New Posts" and scan the titles of the threads. I don't pay attention to which forum they are in. Silly me, I thought that because this is an open discussion on the internet, that all opinions were valid. If that's not the case, and only one gender's comments are acceptable in certain forums, is there a way to keep it from popping up in the "survey buttons" (e.g. new posts, today's posts, etc.)?

MOWGLI
10-16-2006, 10:25
My .02 cents... Stay out of there guys! I find it ridiculous that some of you can't let the women have their own forum. My next post in the Women's Forum will be my first. And that ain't gonna happen.

Rain Man
10-16-2006, 10:44
... Silly me, I thought that because this is an open discussion on the internet, that all opinions were valid. ...

Might want to look up the definition of "valid." From the online Merriam-Webster dictionary--

"valid" -- well-grounded or justifiable : being at once relevant and meaningful ; logically correct; appropriate to the end in view....

I dare say most opinions on the Internet are certainly INvalid. LOL

Rain:sunMan

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-16-2006, 10:55
I value good advice regardless of the source. If the fellows can add something appropriate to the discussion, I have no problem with them posting in the female forum. Many of the fellows here have hiked with ladies for years and observed how they dealt with the problems being discussed.

Some of the Dad's have come to the forum to ask how to deal with problems they know will surface while hiking with their daughters and husbands have done the same for wives who aren't members here. I want them to be able to do that.

IMO, the guys who have abused the privilege of being allowed to post in the forum by posting inappropriate material shouldn't be able to read or post in the female forum. Not all the fellows here are mature enough to maintain decorum in a female topics forum.

Gray Blazer
10-16-2006, 10:58
Not all the fellows here are mature enough to maintain decorum in a female topics forum.Hey!!!! I resemble that remark!

jaywalke
10-16-2006, 12:34
I dare say most opinions on the Internet are certainly INvalid. LOL

Hahahaha . . . true enough. How about substituting "equal" for "valid", with no value judgement? I dream of a world where all our opinions are equally ridiculous. :-]

Just Jeff
10-16-2006, 12:39
If it were a subscription forum, it wouldn't show up in the "new posts" search.

Seeker
10-16-2006, 12:49

like Jeff said, i thought it was ok. specifically, my self-guidance in that forum has been "remember the specific audience and forum, and be aware that you're addressing women, some of whom may have posted there because they didn't want to be laughed at or who have a strong sense of privacy. be polite, and knock first." so, i've been extra careful to not be my normal, blunt self, and i always knock first. i have a wife, two daughters, and a female cat... if i have a perspective that might be of use, i posted. and, having a daughter who likes to camp, i thought questions regarding the female perspective on backpacking might be appropriate... where else am i going to learn the answer to 'dad, i think i just got my period...' if i'm prepared, i'm a hero... if not, i may have just blown the chance to keep a girl interested in the outdoors...

until it's strictly off limits, i'll continue to read and post, albeit as infrequently as i have been doing that...

attroll
10-16-2006, 13:55
When I visit WB, I just hit "New Posts" and scan the titles of the threads. I don't pay attention to which forum they are in. Silly me, I thought that because this is an open discussion on the internet, that all opinions were valid. If that's not the case, and only one gender's comments are acceptable in certain forums, is there a way to keep it from popping up in the "survey buttons" (e.g. new posts, today's posts, etc.)?
There are two forums on WhiteBlaze that a user needs to take special consideration when postiung in them. Those forums are Straight Forward (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=108) and the Female Hiking forums (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=408). The Straight Forward (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=108) forum is just that. It is intented for the topics to stay on track and not drift off track. The Female Hiking forums (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=408) are for the female hikers to post there concerns and questions to other female hikers. When you read a a post or a thread from within either one of these forums the web site background colors changed. In the Straight Forward (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=108) it changes to a very much lighter green and in the Female Hiking forums (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=408) it changes to a marron color. This lets you know that these are different forums and they need consideration.

Gray Blazer
10-16-2006, 14:04
Female Hiking forums[/B] (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=408) it changes to a marron color. This lets you know that these are different forums and they need consideration.
Should that read moron color? (How 'bout maroon?)

Outlaw
10-16-2006, 15:12
Should that read moron color? (How 'bout maroon?)

Could that have been a Freudian slip, as in, any male that posts in the Female Forum is a moron? :rolleyes:

:D Sorry guys, I just couldn't resist!:D And yes, I was just kidding!!!;)

Heater
10-16-2006, 15:26
I gave you guys a forum - it is called the humor forum. :p

Well, geeee... thanks Rock. :o

I am glad you find my posts humorous. :p

:rolleyes:

Jaybird
10-16-2006, 15:52
Well, geeee... thanks Rock. :o

I am glad you find my posts humorous. :p

:rolleyes:

Hey isnt (Sgt) Rock supposed to be fightin' a War somewhere?:D

Heater
10-16-2006, 16:08
Hey isnt (Sgt) Rock supposed to be fightin' a War somewhere?:D

Yes he is... and is.

I rock. :D

Ewker
10-16-2006, 16:44
Women complain that men don't understand them. Now we have a chance to learn a few things in the Women's Forum about them and now they want us out. :D

Just Jeff
10-16-2006, 18:10
I rock. :D

You drive a Camaro?

Heater
10-16-2006, 19:20
You drive a Camaro?

I used to. '69 SS. It was my first car.

I Rock was more of a play on Sgt. Rocks trailname.

Just Jeff
10-17-2006, 00:40
Hehe - I caught that. But if Rock drove one, and it talked like Kit, it would say, "I, Rock's IROC in Iraq."

Boat Drinks
10-18-2006, 14:35
I have to admit; I wandered into the women's Forum out of curiosity. I was curious as to how chicks handled the less glamourous aspects of the trail. I'm not sure why I was curious about this. But I surely enjoyed the leg/pit shaving thread immensley! :eek: ROFLMAO.

Jack Tarlin
10-18-2006, 16:29
I also think it's perfectly OK to have a Forum just for women.

Likewise, in the interest of absolute fairness, I also advocate separate but equal posting facilities for Rastafarians; Albinos; Bassoon Players; Obsessive-Compulsive Shriners; Left-Handed Eskimos; Bi-Polar Vegans; Transgendered Lutherans; Bald-Headed Philatelists; Morbidly Obese Belgians; oh, and any and ALL Southbounders.

This is America, and every voice must be heard!! United we Stand, but DIVIDED we Conquer! :D

Oh. In all seriousness, there's nothing at all wrong with a women's Forum.

Anyone who feels unfairly left out of it has insecurity issues.

Dharma
10-19-2006, 23:03
If the men are in the women's forum it is because they want them there. It can't be any other way.

Hammock Hanger
10-20-2006, 08:33
I don't think that too many of the women get upset that they guys like to sneak into the "Ladies Room". Just get into a stall squat up on the toilet, so your big feet don't show and listen quietly. No giggling or snickering allowed!

:) :) :)

Rain Man
10-20-2006, 11:27
Anyone who feels unfairly left out of it has insecurity issues.

DUH ... and AMEN, Brothers and Sisters!