PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Forest Service destruction of recreation sites.

Vi+
10-13-2006, 17:14
The following is my reduction of an article in “New West, Travel & Outdoors,” dated 10-1-06. I apologize in advance for its length. The article citation seems to occasionally “go away.” I saved the article and if anyone requests by Personal Message, I will forward it. The citation appears at the end of this post.

“Retired Forest Planner Blasts Secret Forest Service Project

Dick Artley retired from the Forest Service (FS) ... For the last 12 years of his career, he worked as a forest planner ...

Artley sharply criticizes the Recreation Site Facility Master Planning (RSFMP) project currently underway within the FS. ... claim(ing) it will result in the closing or privatizing of thousands of recreation sites.

‘This policy (RSFMP) was cooked up in secret by the Forest Service in 2002 with absolutely no public involvement or congressional review. By law, every RSFMP project must go through the National Environmental Policy Act process and have a public input period, but the Forest Service has chosen to ignore NEPA.’

(He) contact(ed) the FS Washington D.C. office to express concerns over the RSFMP process. He provided factual information about how certain sites in on four Colorado national forests were already being illegally bulldozed as a result of the process, despite severe local opposition. ... (H)e concluded that his efforts to contact the agency ... were a "waste of time." So, he went public.

... RSFMP orders every national forest to inventory all developed recreation sites and rank them compared to a national standard. Sites not measuring up will be closed or decommissioned (a.k.a. obliterated).

‘This inventory is being taken on every national forest in America ... The closures will affect mainly simple, remote facilities favored by local residents, hunters, fishermen, and others who prefer dispersed and minimally developed recreation sites. ... These simple, remote facilities have very few improvements and are easy to maintain and are maintained at minimal cost.’

(T)he FS will analyze more developed sites such as campgrounds and determine how much it costs to maintain each site. ... The FS will compare these costs to ‘the drastically reduced funding’ each national forest receives for recreation. ‘If there isn't enough money in the budget to operate the developed recreation site to standards, then it will either be converted to a fee site and still be managed by the Forest Service, be obliterated, or be turned over to a private concessionaire who will also charge a fee.’

(No) ... national forest ever publicly released their RSFMP Plan.

(T)he FS actually has a lot more appropriated money for recreation management than it admits. ‘The Forest Service Washington D.C. Office withholds 85% of the recreation budget appropriated by Congress and does not tell the national forest supervisors ...’

(E)ach national forest should have around $1 million for maintenance of recreation facilities. ... (T)he Deschutes National Forest’s RSFMP 5-Year Plan claims to only have $149,000 in Congressionally appropriated funds to manage its 212 developed recreation sites. The Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forest's RSFMP 5-Year Plan claims to only have $138,000 to manage its 138 developed recreation sites. ... These are the same national forests ... in the process of bulldozing recreation sites.

‘There are two things that the Forest Service is sure of ... President Bush personally ordered RSFMP, so it must be done, and the only way to pull off RSFMP is to maintain its secrecy.’

... He encourages people to contact the FS and ask about RSTMP so the agency understands that "the cat is out of the bag ... Once the secrecy is gone, the Forest Service will finally realize that they cannot continue to lie to the public about the motivation and specifics of RSFMP.’

... RSFMP represents ‘the next big step in the ongoing effort to privatize and commercialize recreational opportunities on America's public lands.’ ... it involves closing down and decommissioning of perhaps thousands of recreation sites, conversion of free recreation sites into pay sites, ‘concessioning-out’ recreation facilities and eventually ‘transferring management control of public recreation area to special interest groups’ in the name of sustainability.”

The citation: http://www.newwest.net/index.php/topic/article/retired_forest_planner_blasts_secret_forest_servic e_project/C41/L41/

warren doyle
10-13-2006, 17:29
Thanks for the 'heads-up'.
LNT is minor league to LIF - LEAVE IT FREE!

Gaiter
10-13-2006, 17:34
Every single thing I hear about or from DICTATOR Bush makes me hate the OIL-F$%KER even more. I was giving blood the other day when bush was having his rose garden news conference, every single person in there was pissed off at him, where are they getting these polls that anyone still supports him.

Chip
10-13-2006, 18:19
Every single thing I hear about or from DICTATOR Bush makes me hate the OIL-F$%KER even more. I was giving blood the other day when bush was having his rose garden news conference, every single person in there was pissed off at him, where are they getting these polls that anyone still supports him.

This November the people can take the first step and vote some of these turkeys out of office. Maybe with more Democrats back in office (or Independents that might be running for office) Bush will be a LAME DUCK during his last years in office !! Know doubt this administration has done alot of damage to this country and it will be a long time before we can recover.
:(

JJB
10-13-2006, 19:16
The sad thing is that it doesn't suprise me in the least.

Gaiter
10-13-2006, 20:48
This November the people can take the first step and vote some of these turkeys out of office. Maybe with more Democrats back in office (or Independents that might be running for office) Bush will be a LAME DUCK during his last years in office !! Know doubt this administration has done alot of damage to this country and it will be a long time before we can recover.
:(
Don't worry I AM VOTING! Wouldn't miss it for a million bucks.

The sad thing is that it doesn't suprise me in the least.

I think its to a point where no one is suprised.

Hanna

Blissful
10-13-2006, 21:31
And I think this thread is already to a point that we agreed in an earlier thread on WB that heated political type rhetoric should go to the other forum. Because not everyone agrees and it takes away from the real purpose.

Yeah - people don't do things that are right, whether in government or otherwise. I mean we could go into things both sides of the aisle have done wrong. There's plenty enough to share. Let us know if you're perfect though and you get to cast the first stone.

Chip
10-14-2006, 08:59
And I think this thread is already to a point that we agreed in an earlier thread on WB that heated political type rhetoric should go to the other forum. Because not everyone agrees and it takes away from the real purpose.

Yeah - people don't do things that are right, whether in government or otherwise. I mean we could go into things both sides of the aisle have done wrong. There's plenty enough to share. Let us know if you're perfect though and you get to cast the first stone.

No stones thrown, just opinions. This web site is for advice, opinions, ideas and communication. True, not everyone may not agree. Everyone has a voice and a right to vote. In this case Vi+ brought attention to the RSFMP.
I did not know anything about this until now and hope to learn more about it. I would guess that other members of Whiteblaze did not know of this RSFMP either. My hope is that more people will get out and vote this November. In the recent AARP Bullentin there are 7 reasons listed as to why people should VOTE . Social Security, Medicare, Long Term Care, Economic Security, Health Care, Integrity in Government and Presidential Power and Congressional Oversight.:-?

Anyhow the posting in this thread are responses to Vi+'s subject on the RSFMP. Why move these post to another thread (or start another?)

If we are off base I am sure the Whiteblaze administrator will let us know and if we need to post elsewhere I think the folks that have posted here would gladly do the right thing and post per the administrator's instructions.
:)

Wanderingson
10-14-2006, 09:42
Before anyone gets their feather ruffled or misunderstands my message, let me state that I appreciate everyone's ability to speak freely on just about any topic--I spent 26 years serving our Nation so that we can continue to do so.

I do not see this thread as a place to bitch and moan about the current State of our Union. This would be like the passengers of the Titanic bitching about the Captian hitting the freaking iceberg and watching the ship sink. Now I know none of us would ever do that.

We have an opportunity to thow out a life boat to see what we can save.

Use Dick Artley's letter as a starting point for your own campain to the National Headquarters and Congress to demand answers (naturally I wouldn't DEMAND in my correspondence). Here are a couple of links provided for your use:

http://www.fs.fed.us/contactus/

http://www.fs.fed.us/contactus/oc.shtml

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Each of us has congressional representatives (whether we feel they are worthy or not). We will never be able to resolve any significant issues such as this in this forum, but we can encorage each other to begin grass roots efforts to demand answers on issues like this. Maybe even dropping afew of the commerically sponsored national outdoor publications could be written to get them on board.

I learned many moons ago that I may get emotional about certain issues, but if I fail to address these issues to the agencies or people who make decisions or policies, I am just spinning myself up for nothing. At least when I take the time to address these issues accordingly.

Ok, after presenting a possible solution, I can now let each of you know there are things that get my blood boiling and I too get emotional to the point of slamming the system. I personally can only do this after I have done my part.

Newb
10-14-2006, 09:49
I'm in the odd position of disliking many Bush policies but, being rather conservative, can't imagine putting some "cut and run" weak kneed liberal in office. I don't understand why the Republicans want to rape our natural resources.

Wanderingson
10-14-2006, 09:58
I don't understand why the Republicans want to rape our natural resources.

Because far too many of us remain silent and let them.

rickb
10-14-2006, 20:27
Anyone know what Forest Service recreational facilities along the AT might be closed or become fee-based so as to become self supporting? If any?

Blissful
10-14-2006, 21:44
Anyhow the posting in this thread are responses to Vi+'s subject on the RSFMP. Why move these post to another thread (or start another?)

:)

I agree the thread itself is important. My beef is when people take a thread like this to begin political bashing and cursing of the government or who is president instead of talking about what we can do as citizens. We do need to protect our God-given resources, indeed. But also forget about how rotten the government for a moment - for once I'd love to see ordinary citizens stop trashing their own country. Makes me sick to see the garbage strewn along the stretches of country roads, not to mention the trail.

Got off on that. :) But at any rate, the November polling booth is where you can make your voice heard the loudest if you really hate who's in office.

Chip
10-14-2006, 22:09
I agree the thread itself is important. My beef is when people take a thread like this to begin political bashing and cursing of the government or who is president instead of talking about what we can do as citizens. We do need to protect our God-given resources, indeed. But also forget about how rotten the government for a moment - for once I'd love to see ordinary citizens stop trashing their own country. Makes me sick to see the garbage strewn along the stretches of country roads, not to mention the trail.

Got off on that. :) But at any rate, the November polling booth is where you can make your voice heard the loudest if you really hate who's in office.

I don't think it is about who hates the politician but rather the programs and laws they put forth to govern this country.;)

snowhoe
10-15-2006, 19:32
I cant wait until a slack jawed democrap gets into office and we will just see how fast all the bashing starts. Dont like the pres move to Iraq they will welcome you there, oh and then kill you!!