PDA

View Full Version : Veteran's Weekend Nov. 10, 11, 12, 2006

Cuffs
10-13-2006, 19:51
Its another 3-day weekend! Where we going to this time?

I was thinking... The BMT from Springer to (where can we get in 3 days?)

If we can arrange a shuttle between ourselves, we can hike in from FS42. Its 18 miles to Hwy 60, and 23 miles to Skeenah Gap Rd.

Who's up for this one?

Mountain Man
10-13-2006, 21:29
I'm up for it. It's one of my favorite hikes.

Ewker
10-13-2006, 22:13
I wish I could but I have to work that Monday.

RockyTrail
10-13-2006, 22:29
You'll get to cross the swinging bridge, an engineering marvel...enjoy!

Egads
10-13-2006, 23:02
I get Saturday & Sunday off from work too. Come on down Ewker. We can hike Friday night thru Sunday.

Egads

Skidsteer
10-13-2006, 23:16
I don't know yet if I get Monday off but my arm is twistable for Sat. and Sun.

As usual, family plans will come first but I'll keep you posted.

Ewker
10-13-2006, 23:36
Egads, if I was to come down I wouldn't get to the park until 11:00 PM. I have no clue where FS42 is or how to get there. Are cars safe at FS42?

Ewker
10-13-2006, 23:36
that would be 11:00pm Friday night

Egads
10-13-2006, 23:49
Ewker,

FS42 is the gravel road that runs from State HW60 all the way ~16-20 mi to Springer's parking lot 0.9 mi from the summit. I've left my car there several times. I have not heard of any vandalism in this lot. The another lot is ~0.5 mi from the suspension bridge and is ok too.

I understand that 11:00 is late. I do not like driving late at night on strange mountain roads either. Let us know if you can make it work either Friday or Saturday AM.

Egads

jlb2012
10-14-2006, 08:20
I'm going to the Sipsey on that weekend 11/10-11/12 with some TTers

to get to FS42 the easiest way from Ellijay - as you are headed toward AFSP look for a sign "BIG CREEK" not too far out of Ellijay and hang a left onto that road - go a good ways (10-20 miles I think) then at the top of a rise look for a right turn onto FS42 marked with a sign for Springer Mtn. - go up FS42 about 6-7 miles and look for parking area/sign board on the left, park car and then look at your map and decide which way you want to go on the AT to reach the BMT - either way will get you there.

MisterSweetie
10-15-2006, 11:55
I'll throw my hat in the ring here... I have Friday off and will probably take Monday as well. My bud and I are planning on a Pinhoti hike, probably in the Northern section. If that could coincide with any of the plans being made here, I'd be happy to invite you! Between travel and hiking, we'd rather be hiking, so going to GA is probably out for us...

peanuts
10-15-2006, 11:58
I might be able to swing this one......just keeping my fingers crossed!

Cuffs
10-16-2006, 19:06
Just some FYI... this is a goofball year. The actual Veteran's Day is on Saturday, the 11th. The federal government calendar is "observing" the holiday on Friday, the 10th.

Not sure how this might translate to days off the the working world, but there it is...

Survivor Dave
10-25-2006, 18:49
Hello Gal,
I'm up for it. I talked to Mountain Man today and said he was going. I am a fairly novice hiker, but have been in hiker training for the last few months. I hike at least 4 days a week now. I've been doing the steps at Amicalola with Mountain man from the Lodge to the Visitors Center and back. Have lost a pile of weight and ready for 2007.
Looking forward to breaking out some gear and testing it out.

Are you up for maybe a serious culinary throw down one night? You know, to remind us of what we dream of between towns. Let me know.

As far as shuttling, I can help out, but not near FS42 or roads like that. Old Mercedes Diesel, not really a 4x4 or SUV.

Please e-mail at [email protected] and is probably the best. I don't really check my PM's here very much.

LATER

drdewrag
10-25-2006, 19:34
Sounds great, but I will be finishing up Fontana to Hot Springs on the 10th. Hopefully next time...

Ewker
10-25-2006, 19:57
I am still thinking about this one. If I do come down it will be late Friday night. I got the directions to FS42 so I can drive up to Springer. How hard is the road to drive at night?

Egads
10-25-2006, 20:08
Ewker,

FS42 is mostly straight w/o switchbacks. It's a little rough in spots, but my VW wagon has managed well. The drive will be easier than the 9/10 mi hike to Springer in the dark.

It looks like children's events are popping up like mushrooms after a summer rainstorm during this weekend, so I will miss this trip.

I'd like to make the Foothills Trail hike from Friday thru Sunday after Thanksgiving. ALHikerGal, can you guesstimate where the goup will be on Friday night?

Egads

Mountain Man
10-25-2006, 20:26
Yeah Ewker, Like Egads said it's not bad. If you had rather drive to Amicalola and stay there Friday night I can pick you up there and you can ride up to Springer with me Saturday morning and I'll bring you back after the hike. Not really sure the plan but I'll have to do it on Saturday and Sunday the way it's looking. Maybe from Springer over to Hwy. 60. If you want to do that let me know. I can get 6 in my truck plus gear so there's plenty of room.

Ewker
10-25-2006, 21:02
MM, let me think about it. I am checking to see if Eman wants to go also

Skidsteer
10-25-2006, 21:15
Yeah Ewker, Like Egads said it's not bad. If you had rather drive to Amicalola and stay there Friday night I can pick you up there and you can ride up to Springer with me Saturday morning and I'll bring you back after the hike. Not really sure the plan but I'll have to do it on Saturday and Sunday the way it's looking. Maybe from Springer over to Hwy. 60. If you want to do that let me know. I can get 6 in my truck plus gear so there's plenty of room.

MM, let me think about it. I am checking to see if Eman wants to go also

Six and gear, huh?

Let me think about it too.:D

Ewker
10-25-2006, 21:18
Mountain Man Express loading at the Arch :D

Mountain Man
10-25-2006, 21:27
Plenty of room Skids. I have had more Hikers "and" Trail Maintainers in there than that but some rode in the back. I might of broke them from wanting to ride in the back on them FS roads though.:D

peanuts
10-25-2006, 23:47
I really do need to think about trying to make this one???

Mountain Man
10-26-2006, 08:40
I really do need to think about trying to make this one???

Yeah you really do.:D Hope you can make it. It will be a lot of fun.:banana Maybe we can camp down on the river by the swinging bridge which is a great place.

Cuffs
10-26-2006, 09:30
This is looking REALLY good!

Mtn Man! Thanks for helping out with your ride offer, it looks like more will be able to come because of your generosity!

I will still be there,but "my" hike dates are changing. I will probably get to Springer on Thursday from FS42; day hike the area on Friday; and hike out with everyone on Saturday morning. I will have to be back to work on Monday morning (yuck!) but thats what happens being self-employed...

Where can we get to by Sunday evening? We need to see about getting a shuttle from that location back to Springer and to Mtn Mans truck...

See you all at the top!
ALH

Ewker
10-26-2006, 10:14
I need to be driving home Sunday evening. I would if possible like to leave the park no later than 4:00 or 5:00 PM. I know I am not the only one with a long drive home

W6FO
10-26-2006, 15:01
Ewker is buggin me to join in. This sounds like fun and I'll be there if I can get some gear put together by then. I need to at least come up with a quilt, pad, and a tarp for the trip. I am terribly out of shape so I'll be the one leading the back most likely.

- JT

Jack Tarlin
10-26-2006, 15:12
Some good ideas so far on how to enjoy the long holiday weekend.

May I add one more:

Don't forget what the holiday is all about. During the course of enjoying yourself that weekend, make sure if you see or talk to one, that you thank a veteran. If you live near a V.A. Hospital or Residence, consider getting in touch with them and see if they have any special events planned for patients/residents. If possible, help them out with this, either with your time or perhaps with a small donation.

Fly a flag. And if your old one is torn and tattered, replace it.

Register to vote.

Remember the folks whose sacrifice resulted in, among other things, your right to have a holiday weekend.

For those of you lucky to be hiking that weekend, have a great time!!

Mountain Man
10-26-2006, 16:50
Thanks Jack, I agree 100%. I for sure will take take time to thank those who serve as I try to everyday. I'll take time here to say a big thanks to Rock and all the Veterans here on Whiteblaze and elsewhere.:sun

Alhikergal, the way I normaly do this trip is to hike from Three Forks on Saturday morning to the Toccoa river at the swinging bridge and camp there. It's about 8 1/2 miles. On Sunday morning it's 3 1/2 miles to hwy 60. Will be out to the cars before lunch and do the shuttle back around and by 1:00 everyone can be on the road headed home. We can do it every which way you want (add miles to it or less miles). Just a suggestion.

Ewker
10-26-2006, 16:51
that sounds good to me

Skidsteer
10-26-2006, 20:49
Si, muy bien. Or whatever else the group decides is all good.

Survivor Dave
10-26-2006, 21:14
Ewker, Skidsteer, you up for Mountain Mans plan. I'm game. Just let me know. I thought about doing the Thursday thing with Alhikergal, but I can't seem to get in touch for one reason or another. I live off exit 6 on Ga. 400 in Roswell. About an hour and 15 minutes away. Maybe carpool if anyone comes this way or caravan. Let me know.

Maguro

W6FO
10-26-2006, 21:32
I like the sounds of Mountain Man's plan but I don't have any gear and don't think I'll be able to get some together by then.. it's not that far away. I may have to sit this one out.

- JT

hikernutt
10-27-2006, 12:18
Hikernutt here,

If my husband doesn't have plans for that weekend we would love to join in for FRIDAY, Saturday and out on sunday. It would be a fun trip with this great group of people. I will keep everyone posted.

Cuffs
10-27-2006, 14:56
the way I normaly do this trip is to hike from Three Forks on Saturday morning to the Toccoa river at the swinging bridge and camp there. It's about 8 1/2 miles. On Sunday morning it's 3 1/2 miles to hwy 60.

Is anyone else besides me and possibly BigMaguro arriving Thursday?

Looking at maps/profiles and trying to do some scheduling...

Arriving Thursday evening on Springer
Hiking the 5.9 miles to Three Forks on Friday (predominantly downhill)
Meet up with Saturday morning arrivals
Hike the 8.3 miles to Toccoa River Bridge and camp for the night.
Sunday, hike the remaining 3.1 miles to Hwy 60.

Now, for shuttling/parking... Is leaving a car at the FS42 area at Springer fairly safe? I wont be leaving any valuables (duh!) so they can have the car!

Maguro and I will need a ride back to Springer from Hwy 60. :rolleyes:

If Mtn Man drives the remaining crew to Three Forks, who's leaving a vehicle large enough for all of us at Hwy 60?!:eek:

peanuts
10-27-2006, 15:00
If I can make this trip, my van shoud have enough room. Parking at Springer is safe, but i don't recall at Hwy 60. Anyone knows??

Skidsteer
10-27-2006, 15:38
If Mtn Man drives the remaining crew to Three Forks, who's leaving a vehicle large enough for all of us at Hwy 60?!:eek:

If I can make this trip, my van shoud have enough room. Parking at Springer is safe, but i don't recall at Hwy 60. Anyone knows??

That's the fly in the ointment at this point.

I have no clue if parking is 'safe' at Hwy. 60 or not, but I do seem to recall there's not much of it.

Mountain Man prolly knows.

Lone Wolf
10-27-2006, 15:41
Plenty of parking at Hwy.60 - Woody Gap. Big lot there.

khaynie
10-27-2006, 16:00
I've left my vehicle plenty of times at Woody Gap; never expereinced any problems. Seemed safe to me and there are parking lots on both sides of GA 60 at Woody Gap.

Mountain Man
10-27-2006, 16:18
It's not Woody Gap but where the BMT crosses HWY. 60. A good ways north of Suches. My hiking partners and myself have left cars at Hwy 60 with no problem. Not really a parking lot just a place to pull off on the side or up a FS RD. I asked the Lady that runs the store about a 1/4 mile up the road and she didn't want hikers to park at the store because of space but she has never heard of any problems with hikers parking there. I don't mind leaving mine there but unless Peanuts is going and driving her Van we might have to park 2 there or make a couple of trips.

MOWGLI
10-27-2006, 17:25
Plenty of parking at Hwy.60 - Woody Gap. Big lot there.

You could always contact Profile & Almanac @ Hikerhostel.com (http://www.hikerhostel.com) and ask them to shuttle you. They might allow you to leave a vehicle at their place if you let them shuttle you.

Personally, I hate to leave my car at a trailhead. Peace of mind is an important aspect of any hike for me.

Cuffs
10-27-2006, 18:03
You could always contact Profile & Almanac @ Hikerhostel.com (http://www.hikerhostel.com) and ask them to shuttle you. They might allow you to leave a vehicle at their place if you let them shuttle you.

Personally, I hate to leave my car at a trailhead. Peace of mind is an important aspect of any hike for me.

Hey Hey Hey! Thats a good idea! Im on it (so they wont get 16 requests for a shuttle!) I'll post any info back here!

Cuffs
10-28-2006, 21:54
Ive email'd Josh & Leigh at HikerHostel, awaiting their response.

Can we get a head count (even if still tentative) on who's hiking this weekend?

IM IN!

Mountain Man
10-28-2006, 22:13
Yeah I'm still in.

Skidsteer
10-28-2006, 22:18
Aye.

So far, so good.

Survivor Dave
10-29-2006, 07:37
Still got my hat in! Well....balaclava.

Let me know about the shuttle. How much is it per person?

Ewker
10-30-2006, 13:34
I am still in

W6FO
10-30-2006, 14:22
I'm in if someone has extra gear I can borrow/use on the trip. I'm so broke for the next couple months it's not funny. I have a suitable pack but no shelter or sleeping gear.

- JT

EMAN
10-30-2006, 19:38
Riding with Ewker

EMAN
10-30-2006, 19:40
Crap...posted this once. Just not sure what I did with it. Regardless, riding with Ewker. Any idea on route yet?

EMAN
10-30-2006, 19:42
BTW...W6FO..I have a Half Dome you are welcome to borry. Got some extra bags too but I don't know about weight on those things. Older bags.

Mountain Man
10-30-2006, 22:32
I'm in if someone has extra gear I can borrow/use on the trip. I'm so broke for the next couple months it's not funny. I have a suitable pack but no shelter or sleeping gear.

- JT

I've got a Thermarest Pad you can use.

Survivor Dave
10-31-2006, 08:16
If you want, you can borrow my alcohol stove and a pot. Let me know. I will be there on Thursday the 9th with Alhikergal, but will meet up with the rest on Friday night or Saturday morning.

generoll
10-31-2006, 09:29
I'd like to join in also. Are we getting a shuttle back to FS 42 at Springer? Is that the plan? Where are the shuttlers taking us and who are they? I'm with Mowgli about leaving cars at most trailheads. For some reason FS 42 at Springer doesn't trouble me as much, but I dunno about Hwy 60 in Suches.

Cuffs
10-31-2006, 10:34
Yea! Bunches of us for this trip! That's great!

As a recap:

Big Maguro & I will be arriving and parking at Springer/FS42 on Thursday (probably late afternoon) everyone else that can make this date/time is welcome.

We will hike to Three Forks (5.9 mi) on Friday and camp there.

Meet up with those arriving Saturday morning at Three Forks.

Hike out of Three Forks and arrive at Toccoa River Bridge (8.3 mi) and camp there Saturday night.

Sunday morning, hike out to GA Hwy 60 (3.1 mi)

I have been in email contact with the HikerHostel (Profile & Almanac AKA Josh & Leigh Saint) about a shuttle. I will have a price in a day or 2 and will post it here. I am getting pricing on getting back to Three Forks and back to FS42/Springer.

See you all on the trail!

markellag
10-31-2006, 14:01
Yea! Bunches of us for this trip! That's great!
As a recap:

I have been in email contact with the HikerHostel (Profile & Almanac AKA Josh & Leigh Saint) about a shuttle. ......
See you all on the trail!

Hikerhostel has very comfortable beds and very plush accomadations for backpackers. Josh & Leigh are very nice folks.

RockyTrail
10-31-2006, 15:39
I have left vehicles at the GA60-BMT crossing and not had a problem (yet). It may the store that keeps it OK...

There is a store that's a couple hundred yards down the road to the east. I asked them about parking there once, they said maybe across the road (depending on various things) but I would have to ask them the very day I needed it and then they would tell me. I told them they could make some extra bucks easy but they didn't really understand. The store is worth a visit, they have big yellow signs in all caps posted everywhere inside and outside warning that you are being recorded on camera (among other things!) I had the impression they were afraid of their customers.:D
But they do serve hot food at a counter, not bad.

W6FO
10-31-2006, 18:40
Who all is planning to hike on Saturday? I just got the thumbs-up approval from my better half (the girlfriend) and a few kind souls are offering to help me with gear. However, I haven't been on the trail in a long time and want to be able to hike with someone but I can't arrive @ FS42 until early Saturday morning at sun-up.

- JT

Egads
10-31-2006, 19:25
Another option is to park some cars @ the lot 1/2 mi from the suspension bridge (4 mi drive from hwy 60). You can hike to hwy 60 & back on Sunday (6.2 mi) or drive out.

Ewker
10-31-2006, 19:46
W6FO, it looks like Mountain Man is going to pick us up Sat morning at the park and drive up. If you drive up to to Springer Sat morning chances are you will beat us

W6FO
10-31-2006, 19:56
W6FO, it looks like Mountain Man is going to pick us up Sat morning at the park and drive up. If you drive up to to Springer Sat morning chances are you will beat us
Maybe I should just meet ya'll at the park and ride with Mountain Man. Mountain Man, is this cool with you? Where at the park do we all want to meet?

I'm going to be trying Hammock Camping for the first time. Generoll is loaning me his HH Explorer to use on the trip. I'm excited. :banana

- JT

Mountain Man
10-31-2006, 22:03
Maybe I should just meet ya'll at the park and ride with Mountain Man. Mountain Man, is this cool with you? Where at the park do we all want to meet?

I'm going to be trying Hammock Camping for the first time. Generoll is loaning me his HH Explorer to use on the trip. I'm excited. :banana

- JT

I can haul 6 counting myself. I had already told Ewker and those coming with him also Skidsteer that they could ride. So I'm not sure how many that is. How about Ewker how many are coming with you? Anyway if they are room your more than welcome to ride with us.

Ewker
10-31-2006, 22:32
only one other person

Mountain Man
10-31-2006, 22:49
Thanks Ewker
So W6FO there will be plenty of room for you to ride with us.

neo
10-31-2006, 23:05
Its another 3-day weekend! Where we going to this time?

I was thinking... The BMT from Springer to (where can we get in 3 days?)

If we can arrange a shuttle between ourselves, we can hike in from FS42. Its 18 miles to Hwy 60, and 23 miles to Skeenah Gap Rd.

Who's up for this one?

hope you have a great hike:cool: neo

us navy 78-82

generoll
10-31-2006, 23:08
Neo, the only people that get a 3 day weekend out of this are government employees and bankers. If I get Friday off it's because I requested a vacation day. It's business as usual for most people.

US Army 66-68

neo
10-31-2006, 23:13
Neo, the only people that get a 3 day weekend out of this are government employees and bankers. If I get Friday off it's because I requested a vacation day. It's business as usual for most people.

US Army 66-68

i dont get veterans day off,but if i did i still would want to honor our vets
i will go to the VA hospital and visit some vets after work,my sister works at the VA here in nashville:cool: neo

Ewker
11-01-2006, 00:13
I don't get 3 days off. I will be driving down Friday after work and driving back Sunday evening.

W6FO
11-01-2006, 09:58
Anyone happen to have a spare quilt or light sleeping bag I could use on this trip?

Thanks

- JT

Cuffs
11-01-2006, 10:13
yeah another 3 day weekend for most people,all i here is were people here are going to hike,not many care about the real meaning of veterans day
it saddens my heart:cool: neo

us navy 78-82

My dad served in Viet Nam, Mom, Dad, Step dad AND Bro in law all work for the Federal Gov't, best friend is currently in Iraq (second tour BTW), And I have had a flag flying at my home since BEFORE 9/11.

The reference to Veteran's Weekend is just so that one can easily look at a calendar and notate the days. It is NOT just to exploit the use of a 3-day weekend.

Ewker
11-01-2006, 10:29
And if you had happend to show up on this hike, you would have seen that I have brought mini US flags for us all to carry on our packs.

what no Confederate Flags :eek: ;)

http://www.scv.org/

W6FO
11-01-2006, 11:01
Big Maguro & I will hike to Three Forks (5.9 mi) on Friday and camp there.
I am thinking I may come out early Friday morning and hike with you two. I don't think I can handle the longer hike, Springer to the Bridge, that everyone will be doing on Saturday.

How early do you think you two will start hiking on Friday? I know ya'll are meeting on Thursday late in the day but I only live an hour from Springer.

- JT

Cuffs
11-01-2006, 11:17
I am thinking I may come out early Friday morning and hike with you two. I don't think I can handle the longer hike, Springer to the Bridge, that everyone will be doing on Saturday.

How early do you think you two will start hiking on Friday? I know ya'll are meeting on Thursday late in the day but I only live an hour from Springer.

- JT

Only speaking for myself... Im a slow mover in the morning.
Breakfast, coffee, pack up... :sunSun's coming up real early now with the time change (0630 in CST, so thats 0530 (YIKES!) in EST)

If we know you'll be there, we'll sure wait for you! But the sun does set earlier now too, so it would need to be fairly early. I think we should be on the trail by 9am, worst case...
Hope you can make it!

W6FO
11-01-2006, 11:27
If we know you'll be there, we'll sure wait for you!
Will you two be camping in the parking area on Thursday night? I can be there by 7am easily.

- JT

Cuffs
11-01-2006, 11:50
Will you two be camping in the parking area on Thursday night? I can be there by 7am easily.

- JT

No, not camping at the parking area. Its a 9/10 mile hike to the Springer Shelter & camping area. So plan on a 30 minute walk into the area...

W6FO
11-01-2006, 11:50
W6FO, it looks like Mountain Man is going to pick us up Sat morning at the park and drive up.
Drive to where Springer/FS 42 parking area or to Three Forks? Sorry, I'm a bit confused as to where everyone is going to be and when.
- JT

Cuffs
11-01-2006, 12:01
Drive to where Springer/FS 42 parking area

dont worry about the confusion, just want to make sure we all get where we need to be!

We will be parking at Springer/FS42, and hiking to the Shelter area Thursday afternoon.

RockyTrail
11-01-2006, 12:13
Excuse the interruption, trying to help out W6FO:

Springer shelter is 0.9 mile south of the FS42/Springer parking lot.
Friday morning, they will be hiking north from the Springer shelter and should pass right through the Springer parking lot on the way to Three Forks. So if you just wait at the FS42/Springer parking lot they should walk by some 20 minutes after they leave the shelter.

Hope this helps, have a fine hike!

W6FO
11-01-2006, 12:17
dont worry about the confusion, just want to make sure we all get where we need to be! We will be parking at Springer/FS42, and hiking to the Shelter area Thursday afternoon.
Yup, I know where you will be. Not confused with your plans. Mountain Man is meeting Ewker and Co. at Amicalola Falls SP parking and driving to ... where? I presume driving to Three Forks and hiking to the bridge from there or are they driving up to park at Springer/FS42 and hiking to Three Forks and then the bridge all in one day? I know Three Forks to the Bridge is about 8.1 miles. I don't think I'd be able to hike more than this in one day.

How are we coming along with the shuttle plans?

Thanks

- JT

neo
11-01-2006, 12:26
If you are going to use my post go get your bit**ing done, I think youd better know who you are using before you do that again...

My dad served in Viet Nam, Mom, Dad, Step dad AND Bro in law all work for the Federal Gov't, best friend is currently in Iraq (second tour BTW), And I have had a flag flying at my home since BEFORE 9/11.

And if you had happend to show up on this hike, you would have seen that I have brought mini US flags for us all to carry on our packs.

The reference to Veteran's Weekend is just so that one can easily look at a calendar and notate the days. It is NOT just to exploit the use of a 3-day weekend.

Get a grip Neo.

i am sorry wendy i guess i get real touchy on 3 day weekends like memorial day and veterans days and 4 th of july,i sorry i used jumped on your post:cool: neo

Dances with Mice
11-01-2006, 12:30
I so wanted to join in this hike but I'm going to be towing a U-Haul full of furniture to Richmond VA to stock the oldest daughters' new house and watch her do a little running (http://www.richmondmarathon.com/).

There are all kinds of campsites around 3 Forks north of the road crossing.

When you turn onto the Benton Mac / Duncan Ridge Trails you'll soon climb up to a wildlife clearing - a large pasture planted to attract wildlife. This is not the place to walk in quietly and inconspicuously. Be loud and be showing bright orange. From the middle of the pasture (the trail bisects it) you can see Springer if you have a map & compass to know where to look. There's a steep drop down from that summit then the hardest climb of that day's hike up a washed-out trail, no switchbacks. After that you'll just be rolling along the ridge and the trail will bypass the summits of the the tallest mountains. Bryson Gap is a nice stop, check out the campsite there on the opposite side of the spring for future consideration.

RockyTrail
11-01-2006, 14:25
Another bit of trivia: That beautiful "pasture" is also maintained as a practice LZ (landing zone) for Army choppers out of Mosby field...but that's not usually a problem unless you camp there (not recommended) or your tent may get wrinkled at 3 am when they alight:D

generoll
11-01-2006, 17:34
sorry to hear that you can't make it, Dances. I was looking forward to seeing you again.

does anyone have anything like a common meeting/camping spot for Saturday night? any intention of all being together or are we just going to pick different spots along the BMT and enjoy each other in passing.

i'm not suggesting that we should or should not all camp together, i just wondered if i'd missed something in passing.

Mountain Man
11-01-2006, 18:16
sorry to hear that you can't make it, Dances. I was looking forward to seeing you again.

does anyone have anything like a common meeting/camping spot for Saturday night? any intention of all being together or are we just going to pick different spots along the BMT and enjoy each other in passing.

i'm not suggesting that we should or should not all camp together, i just wondered if i'd missed something in passing.

Generoll, I think the plan is to meet at Three Forks on Saturday morning. ALhikergal and a couple of others are hiking the BMT over to Three Forks on Friday the rest will meet them there on Saturday morning. I haven't heard Alhikergal say a time but I would think it would be best to try to leave out hiking by 9:00 am. It would give us plenty of time to get there and set up and cook before dark. We can camp right by the river and there are plenty of good camping for everyone.

Alhikergal if you have other plans let us know. It really don't matter to me just however yall want to do it.

Mountain Man
11-01-2006, 18:21
I so wanted to join in this hike but I'm going to be towing a U-Haul full of furniture to Richmond VA to stock the oldest daughters' new house and watch her do a little running (http://www.richmondmarathon.com/).

There are all kinds of campsites around 3 Forks north of the road crossing.

When you turn onto the Benton Mac / Duncan Ridge Trails you'll soon climb up to a wildlife clearing - a large pasture planted to attract wildlife. This is not the place to walk in quietly and inconspicuously. Be loud and be showing bright orange. From the middle of the pasture (the trail bisects it) you can see Springer if you have a map & compass to know where to look. There's a steep drop down from that summit then the hardest climb of that day's hike up a washed-out trail, no switchbacks. After that you'll just be rolling along the ridge and the trail will bypass the summits of the the tallest mountains. Bryson Gap is a nice stop, check out the campsite there on the opposite side of the spring for future consideration.

Yeah DWM, Bryson Gap is a nice place to camp but when I was there in July it seems that the ATV's have found it and they kind of like it too.:(

Mountain Man
11-01-2006, 18:25
Excuse the interruption, trying to help out W6FO:

Springer shelter is 0.9 mile south of the FS42/Springer parking lot.
Friday morning, they will be hiking north from the Springer shelter and should pass right through the Springer parking lot on the way to Three Forks. So if you just wait at the FS42/Springer parking lot they should walk by some 20 minutes after they leave the shelter.

Hope this helps, have a fine hike!

Not positive but I thought Alhikergal said they were doing the BMT to three Forks. If so they won't be coming back through the Springer parking lot on Friday morning.

RockyTrail
11-01-2006, 18:32
Duh! My bad...I should stay out of this, was trying to help W6FO and I still get it fouled up!:(

Yes indeed, post #1 says "BMT" not "AT" , Mountain Man is correct. The two trails intertwine somewhat, I apologize...I'm over and OUT!
Have a great hike!:sun

Mountain Man
11-01-2006, 19:01
Duh! My bad...I should stay out of this, was trying to help W6FO and I still get it fouled up!:(

Yes indeed, post #1 says "BMT" not "AT" , Mountain Man is correct. The two trails intertwine somewhat, I apologize...I'm over and OUT!
Have a great hike!:sun

Ain't no thang. Come out and join us if you can.

W6FO
11-01-2006, 19:26
I haven't heard Alhikergal say a time but I would think it would be best to try to leave out hiking by 9:00 am.
The earlier we can get on the trail the better, IMO. Again, I haven't been on the trail in quite awhile and don't want to hold up the group. We need to maximize daylight. It's 6:30 here now in Canton, GA not very far from the trail.

- JT

W6FO
11-01-2006, 20:00
More babble from me..

What is the trail like between Three Forks and the bridge?

- JT

Mountain Man
11-01-2006, 20:12
More babble from me..

- JT

Dances with Mice decribed it pretty well in the above post.

Mountain Man
11-01-2006, 20:26
More babble from me..

- JT

If your wanting to know about how difficult the hike is, well I don't think it's to hard at all, but it ain't flat thats for sure. Maybe moderate. On the other hand if your not used to hiking it might be considered difficult. Whats easy to one can be difficult to another.

Cuffs
11-02-2006, 12:34
Just some quick info on the shuttle... Based on 7 people being picked up at Hwy 60 & the BMT and being driven back to (group A=to Three Forks) and (group B=to Springer/FS42) would come to about $14pp.

As long as there are 7 being shuttled, that price will stay the same. If the number drops, the p.p. price will increase slightly...

So far I count:
ALHikerGal
Ewker
Eman
Mtn Man
Generoll
Skids
Big Maguro

Ewker
11-02-2006, 12:56
ok maybe I am missing something. I thought Mountain Man was taking us back to the parking lot at the park. I also thought a shuttle would be done with the people who had already driven to Springer/FS42 Thurs/Friday/Sat

Cuffs
11-02-2006, 12:59
OHHHHH soooo much confusion!!! (not you Ewk!)

Im parking at FS42/Springer.

Thought Mtn Man was meeting you and eman and whomever at AFSP and driving you to the Three Forks meeting site.

We still need a ride back from Hwy 60 once we get there Sunday.

(thats my take on the situation anyways)

Ewker
11-02-2006, 13:33
that is fine. I doesn't matter which way we do it. I just rarely carry money on a trip. I use a card instead.

Mountain Man
11-02-2006, 13:49
ok maybe I am missing something. I thought Mountain Man was taking us back to the parking lot at the park. I also thought a shuttle would be done with the people who had already driven to Springer/FS42 Thurs/Friday/Sat

Yeah Ewker, I'll take yall back to the park. And as Alhikergal said we just need a shuttle from hwy. 60. back to Three Forks and Springer or we could probably make room to get those with cars parked at Springer and drop them off on the way. Either way works for me.

generoll
11-02-2006, 16:48
my daughter and son in law may be with me, in which case it would be two more. we are considering parking at three forks either late Friday night or Saturday morning. anyone know anything about that place as far as parking? is the shuttle vehicle large enough to handle a couple more?

Cuffs
11-02-2006, 16:54
my daughter and son in law may be with me, in which case it would be two more. we are considering parking at three forks either late Friday night or Saturday morning. anyone know anything about that place as far as parking? is the shuttle vehicle large enough to handle a couple more?

All the HikerHostel needs to know is 'how many.' (thats all they asked for anyways...) and in my initial emails to them, I stated anywhere from 3 -10 hikers and they never said 'no.'

Hope your family can make it GR!

peanuts
11-02-2006, 17:01
Hi, ALHG if I can get my heater core replaced b4 next Fri I will make the trip and I can leave my van at 60.

Cuffs
11-02-2006, 17:16
Hi, ALHG if I can get my heater core replaced b4 next Fri I will make the trip and I can leave my van at 60.

Yea Peanuts! Now, how do we get you from Hwy 60 back to Three Forks to hike on Saturday?

Mountain Man
11-02-2006, 17:23
Yea Peanuts! Now, how do we get you from Hwy 60 back to Three Forks to hike on Saturday?

When I leave the Park with the others I can swing around that way and pick her up, and then on to Three Forks.

Cuffs
11-02-2006, 17:26
WOO HOO! Sounds like the plan is coming together. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for Peanuts to get her van in order!

Mountain Man
11-02-2006, 17:50

Generoll, They are room for maybe 8 to 10 cars if no one if no one is already parking there. Some of parking is just wide spot on Forest service rd. Also take note that FS 58 is closed between Three Forks and Doublehead Gap Rd. or at least it was in July and has been since last winter due to wash out. I'll try to go by and check again to make sure and get back with yall.

peanuts
11-02-2006, 18:16
? I was looking at my map of the NGa mtns and I don't see a parking spot on 60 at the BMT crossing???? I know there is down by woody gap
so anybody knows????

Mountain Man
11-02-2006, 21:40
? I was looking at my map of the NGa mtns and I don't see a parking spot on 60 at the BMT crossing???? I know there is down by woody gap
so anybody knows????

Peanuts, It's just a wide spot there on the right going north to pull over. About a 1/4 of a mile or less pass the store. I've left my truck there over night several times with no problem. You could ask them about leaving it at the store, but they wasn't too interested in letting me park there.

W6FO
11-04-2006, 15:12
I won't be able to attend this trip as I am having difficulties securing gear for the trip. The hammock Generoll sent me will not support my weight. I'm a pretty big guy at 6'3" tall and 265 pounds. The hammock is rated to only 250 pounds and Hennesy does not recommend I sleep in it.

I'll get back out there one of these days.

- JT

Cuffs
11-06-2006, 14:03
Time is drawing near for this hike! Need to finalize some plans...

Peanut, not trying to shut you out, but dont want to pressure you to get your van work done either! I would like to go ahead and confirm with HikerHostel a pickup for us.

Headcount (per thread)
AlHikerGal
Mtn Man
Big Maguro
Skids
Ewker
Eman
Generoll (+2)
Peanuts
Hikernutt (+1)

WOW! Thats 12!
Im going to give HH that count. If we get to the BMT & Hwy 60 w/ 12, that will only be $11 each.

If anyones hiking plans change, please post or PM me ASAP!!! so I can let HH know.

As a recap:

ALHiker & Big Maguro arriving Springer Thursday, hiking Springer to Three Forks on Friday, camping there.
"everyone else" arriving Three Forks w/ Mtn Man on Saturday, hiking to Toccoa Bridge and camping there Satuday eve.
Hiking to Hwy 60 on Sunday morning.

See you all on the trail!!!

Mountain Man
11-06-2006, 14:11
Sounds good Alhikergal, Is 9:00 good for you to start hiking Saturday morning or do you want to start earlier? Just wandering so I can those what time that I'm picking them up at Amicalola.

Cuffs
11-06-2006, 16:28
Sounds good Alhikergal, Is 9:00 good for you to start hiking Saturday morning or do you want to start earlier? Just wandering so I can those what time that I'm picking them up at Amicalola.

The sun comes up so early now-a-days, I think 0900 would be a great time. (I should be up and moving by then!!!)

Sad news... we've lost Peanuts...she wont be able to make this hike. We'll be thinking of you Peanuts!

Chris_Asheville
11-06-2006, 17:18
We're (Triadhikers) doing Max Patch to Hot Springs this weekend!! Are ya interested??

Cuffs
11-06-2006, 17:27
We're (Triadhikers) doing Max Patch to Hot Springs this weekend!! Are ya interested??

Thanks, but it looks like we've already got our plans made...

Chris_Asheville
11-06-2006, 17:32
Didn't realize how many posts preceded mine! Have phun, woud love to check out that part sometime soon.

Frosty
11-06-2006, 17:34

US Army 66-68If they really wanted to honor veteran's they should give only veterans the day off, and make sure ALL veterans got it off.

generoll
11-06-2006, 18:08
hikergal, at the moment i am planning on arriving at three forks friday night and hiking in a short distance to camp. my son in law, who is from Ellijay says that there is good camping within a mile or less of three forks so we will probably look for a spot there. therefore we will not need a pickup on saturday morning (thanks mtnman if you were planning on toting us up to three forks.).

RockyTrail
11-06-2006, 18:25
There's many campsites at Three Forks right next to the road. It's a FS road, not much traffic, no need to hike a mile...have fun

peanuts
11-06-2006, 20:24
Yeah I had to pull out. Need to stay with my mom (alzheimers), but could join you guys on sunday for meal, b4 everyone hits the road....

Cuffs
11-06-2006, 22:06
The weather is looking GREAT for this weekend! I just looked up my weatherbug for a forecast... high around 70 and low in 40's each night! Satuday will have 20% chance rain, but at least the big stuff will have passed (its sitting on Birmingham as I type this...)

Survivor Dave
11-06-2006, 22:23
Hello all Veteran's Day BMT Hikers!

I just PM'd Alhikergal and Mountain Man as far as Supper with Peanuts. We are in. Do you all have the time to have a meal? I think it might be a great way to unwind and have some hiker fellowship. Peanuts, I know EXACTLY where you're at. My Mom had Alzheimers and other health stuff and I know how much you want to be with us this weekend.

Y'all let me know and I will find a nice place close to somewhere around Ga. 400 and Hwy. 136? Any suggestions? If not I will press on and find something.

Big Maguro

Skidsteer
11-06-2006, 22:28
Lin's Chinese buffet. But I'm not sure a weekend hike merits an AYCE. :rolleyes:

Survivor Dave
11-06-2006, 22:39
Is that located on Hwy 53 and 400 Skids? What do you all think? Any more requests. I don't have a problem with AYCE, anyone else? I am up for a major throwdown.

Yeah, Alhiker, the forecast looks better than it did a few days ago. It was calling for at least 60 percent on 3 of the 4 days.

Rock On!!!

Skidsteer
11-06-2006, 22:44
Yep. 53 and 400 roughly across the highway from Home Depot.

Survivor Dave
11-06-2006, 22:53
I like Chinese pretty much or anything. Please let me know what y'all like to eat and we can come up with something. I think lunch buffet at Lin's Chinese is around $7-$8 and Dinner is around $10-$11.

Don't be shy! Let me know.

Maguro

Cuffs
11-07-2006, 09:25
Chinese Buffet works for me! Any word from Peanuts? Is that going to be ok with her?

Survivor Dave
11-07-2006, 16:34
OK y'all,

Before it gets too crazy, looks like Dahlonega. I am still waiting for a few folks to see if they are able to go(the ones from far, far away).

Maguro

peanuts
11-07-2006, 16:38
No problem for me......I like FOOD....just let me know the final plans. so I'll know when to leave :)

Ewker
11-07-2006, 16:48
Before it gets too crazy, looks like Dahlonega. I am still waiting for a few folks to see if they are able to go(the ones from far, far away).

Maguro

where is Dahlonega...I need to head towards Dalton not the opposite way

Survivor Dave
11-07-2006, 17:25
Ewker,
Dahlonega is located at the end of Ga. 400 Northbound . You make a left at Hwy 60 and go about 6-7 miles right into the square.

Mountain Man is this accurate? :-?

Maguro

Ewker
11-07-2006, 17:36
do we pass this town on the way back to the park? that is where mine or Eman's car will be.

RockyTrail
11-07-2006, 17:53
Yes. The BMT hits Hwy 60 near the place marked "Sugar Hill" on this map, NW of Dahlonega:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=&city=Dahlonega&state=GA&zipcode=

You travel south on 60 to Dahlonega, a cute little town with a square.
If you have time check out the gold mining museum in the brick courthouse in the square. In the 1840s this is where the phrase "There's gold in them thar hills" was first proclaimed by the mayor(?) when he was trying to convince the local gold miners not to flee to California in the rush of '49 (which they promptly did).

Then you can go out Hwy 52 to Amicalola where the park is, that is an easy ride of 7-8 miles (not mountainous). Then you can head out to Ellijay and over to I-75 to get back to TN.

Survivor Dave
11-07-2006, 18:08
In my e-mail, yahoo, there were 3 new messages. When I went to WB they did NOT show up. Could you re send PM's again.:eek:

Thanks

Skidsteer
11-07-2006, 19:07
Big Maguro,

I doubt I'll make it for the dinner myself. Post-hike I must race home and pack for another work week on the road. It's about all I can manage just to make the hike.

I suppose if we get off the trail early enough on Sunday that I could be persuaded....

Cuffs
11-07-2006, 19:13
Big Maguro,

I suppose if we get off the trail early enough on Sunday that I could be persuaded....

I figure if we are hiking by 0900, we should be at Hwy 60 by 1100, its only 3 miles...

Hope that helps you decide you can make it!!! We'll twist that arm a little more if you need it!

Survivor Dave
11-07-2006, 19:16
Skids,
Not sure when we will finish. Sorry you have to book on out. That's cool, another time maybe.

And nothing left to persuade. I spent it all on gear!!!!

Maguro

peanuts
11-07-2006, 19:21
When do you expect the hostel to pick you guys up?

Cuffs
11-07-2006, 19:38
Ive initially given them 1200 noon, but told them I would call via cell phone (pending service availability, yea, right!) that we would coordinate a more specific time.

Mountain Man
11-07-2006, 21:26
Ewker,E-man and Skids,
I'll pick yall up at Amicalola Visitors center Saturday morning at 7:30 if thats good with yall. It's about an hour drive around to Three Forks. If yall want to leave earlier or later just let me know.

Skidsteer
11-07-2006, 21:39
Ewker,E-man and Skids,
I'll pick yall up at Amicalola Visitors center Saturday morning at 7:30 if thats good with yall. It's about an hour drive around to Three Forks. If yall want to leave earlier or later just let me know.

7:30 suits me fine.

Ewker
11-08-2006, 13:42
Looks like I am out of this trip :mad: . You guys have fun.

Not sure what Eman's status is now since we were riding together

EMAN
11-08-2006, 13:46
AHG-
Ewker cannot make this trip. I wouldn't mind making the trip anyway myself. I am also owed a day off by the shop here. I was curious to know how bad it would sccrew up all the well laid plans if I came down a day earlier and perhaps hiked to 3 Forks with you and Big Maguro or if you were even OK with that possibility.

Cuffs
11-08-2006, 14:06
Come on man!

We can take turns again bringin up the rear of the pack!

quote=EMAN;268372]AHG-
Ewker cannot make this trip. I wouldn't mind making the trip anyway myself. I am also owed a day off by the shop here. I was curious to know how bad it would sccrew up all the well laid plans if I came down a day earlier and perhaps hiked to 3 Forks with you and Big Maguro or if you were even OK with that possibility.[/quote]

EMAN
11-08-2006, 23:39
Thanks. I have a PM in to Mountain Man for directions, etc. You guys are going to be at the Springer Shelter Thursday evening? And do I need to let you know if/when I'm coming or shall we just leave it at, "if he's here..."?

Cuffs
11-08-2006, 23:51
Thanks. I have a PM in to Mountain Man for directions, etc. You guys are going to be at the Springer Shelter Thursday evening? And do I need to let you know if/when I'm coming or shall we just leave it at, "if he's here..."?

We'll be in the "area of" Springer Shelter. Most likely back in the sites as the previous hike...;)

We'll be there til Friday morning... see you when you get there! It will be a short days hike (5mi) so we may not get too early a start...

Just get packing! Im STILL at work trying to wrap up a case so I can get outta here! I'm going to be up sooo late finishing up packing.... Gonna be alonnnnnngggggg day tomorrow! Have java ready Maguro!!

hikernutt
11-09-2006, 09:30
Hikernutt here replying from work, when I did the Springer to Three Forks hike on Labor Day I made it in about 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hours. I left the Springer parking area at 8:30 Saturday morning and was at Three Forks around 10:00 that morning that was via the AT.

If I can get things together I will be there Friday evenig hopefully to camp at ThreeForks with you guys, not sure what time I will leave home Friday.

ALHG what time are you planning on being at FS42 Friday and what route are you taking. Wanted to give you an invite to xome by my house in GA and we could ride together. Let me know if this is a possibility, it would be a tug for me to leave eariler Friday.

ALHG you can reply to me here at work [email protected] if you like.
See you guys this weekend, I'm really looking forward to another fun hike.

Later Hikernutt.

Cuffs
11-09-2006, 13:45
ALHG what time are you planning on being at FS42 Friday and what route are you taking. Wanted to give you an invite to xome by my house in GA and we could ride together. Let me know if this is a possibility, it would be a tug for me to leave eariler Friday.

ALHG you can reply to me here at work [email protected] if you like.
See you guys this weekend, I'm really looking forward to another fun hike.

Later Hikernutt.

HN, we'll be at Springer Thursday evening (leaving ATL in about an hour, after I pick up B Maguro)
We'll be at Three Forks Friday evening. Hiking strictly the BMT (cept that one part off Springer!)

Hope to see you there!

Egads
11-11-2006, 12:43
The WB community wants pics & stories.

Skidsteer
11-12-2006, 18:51
The WB community wants pics & stories.

I'm sure they'll be trickling in over the next few days.

I don't usually go in much for group hikes and will always prefer to hike by myself but this bunch are some fine people. We had some good hiking and a bunch of fun. We missed you Egads.

Survivor Dave
11-12-2006, 21:12
Thanks Skids!

It was great meeting all of you. Through wet wood, cold, and wind, all survived in fine fashion.
The diner was a cool place as well. Good chow, good service, friendly folk.
Hope to do it again pretty soon.

Skids, would you mind PMing me your e-mail address. Thanks

Again, Great job y'all.

Peanuts it was nice to meet you, maybe another time, just keep watching!

Maguro :dance

Ewker
11-12-2006, 21:23
glad ya'll had a good time. Maybe next time I can make it

Skidsteer
11-12-2006, 21:55
glad ya'll had a good time. Maybe next time I can make it

Wish you had been there too, Ewker. It was a good time.

generoll
11-12-2006, 21:55
a good bunch and a fine time around the campfire each evening. While I do enjoy hiking on my own, it's always nice to share a campsite and a campfire with compatible people. Nice to put some faces to the names here on WB and I hope that we get to do it again.

hikernutt
11-12-2006, 21:59
Hikernutt here, yes it was a great weekend. Lots of fun and a great group of people. I'm glad I got to meet Big Maguro and Gene and his family. Hope to make it on the next trip when ever it may be. Later Hikernutt

hikernutt
11-12-2006, 22:01
And sorrrry you were not there Ewker, hope you can make it next time.

Mountain Man
11-12-2006, 22:01
Same here, had a great time and was good to see everyone again and meet some new WB'ers.

peanuts
11-12-2006, 22:05
Hello everyone! It was nice to finally put faces to the names here. Meeting you guys for early dinner was great. I hope at some point I could make a trip with you guys.

Ewker
11-13-2006, 12:02
ok enough time has passed. We need a trip report and pics so I can see what I missed :eek:

Cuffs
11-13-2006, 13:04
Thanks to everyone who came out to brave the cold, wet, windy weather! Good to see those we knew and to add names, to faces of more WB'ers!

Photos coming up, hopefully this afternoon, I have to pick up the four-legged kid out of storage this morning! (priorities, I miss my baby!)

Full report to follow also!
ALHG

Survivor Dave
11-13-2006, 13:49
Hey Ewker,

I posted some of the V-Day BMT pics last night. I know ALHikergal has a bunch of really great shots coming as well as a few others.
As far as a full report, well, what goes on on the Trail stays on the Trail.:cool: LOL

Sorry you couldn't make it, maybe next time. Mountain Man was talking about doing some really cold camping:eek: .

Maguro

Skidsteer
11-13-2006, 21:55
Here's a few pics from the campfire:

'The cremation of Sam Mcgee I' (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13861&catid=favorites) and 'Sam Mcgee II (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13860&catid=favorites) :D

'Big Maguro in deep concentration' (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13862&catid=favorites)

AlHikerGal, Mountain Man, Tim(Hikernutt's husband), and Hikernutt enjoying the campfire. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13863&catid=favorites)

AlHikerGal with her trusty camera. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13864&catid=favorites)

Something tells me I'll regret posting these pics.......:o

generoll
11-13-2006, 22:08
Good that everyone got a look at my laundry. I knew I shoulda taken those pants down sooner. From the clothes line I mean.

generoll
11-14-2006, 09:08
after hearing Mountain Mans stories around the campfire I will never look at a pickup with a dog box without doing a double take.

EMAN
11-14-2006, 09:14
This was a great trail. I posted some pics at Webshots (not sure yet how to post them here) under "kareengas".
Sorry Tim, I think I listed you in there somewhere as "Mr. HikerNutt".

Ewker
11-14-2006, 10:48
link to Eman's pics http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/555544922GrIkGO

Cuffs
11-14-2006, 12:25
Here's the first set of photos Ive uploaded. More (& better!) to come! http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/555559117nlfSmC

hikernutt
11-14-2006, 12:57
Great photos everyone. Eman it is okay to list Tim as Mr. Hikernutt and ALHIKERGAL I love the photo of the snail.

See you all soon I hope. Hikernutt:sun

Cuffs
11-14-2006, 13:34
Second set of photos just added to the above link!

Ewker
11-14-2006, 13:42
nice pics by everyone

Cuffs
11-14-2006, 13:50
A MUST SEE photo.... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13865&c=659

Egads
11-14-2006, 19:19
Good Pics,

Thanks for posting.

The campfire pic is cool.

BTW, where does one register newly discovered species? That SkidElk is one of a kind.

Skidsteer
11-14-2006, 19:23
The truth is out.

Hiking makes me horny. :D

hikernutt
11-27-2006, 00:09
I have uploaded a BMT group photo tonight, but don't know how to get it to this thread. go under photos it will be under BMT Sec 1.

Skidsteer
11-27-2006, 07:12
Here you go, Hikernutt.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13994&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

peanuts
11-27-2006, 13:25
great picture!

Ewker
11-27-2006, 13:26
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/0/3/8/2/BMTSec1.JPG