PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone connections on the BMT

generoll
10-14-2006, 09:32
This may sound a bit frivolous, but I am serious. Can I expect to reliably hit a cell on a daily (10 miles/day) basis on the BMT from Smokemont to Davenport Gap?

My cousin, who was supposed to hike that section with me, rollerbladed herself into the back end of a parked church bus and broke her tibia. About 20 years ago I crewed a small sailboat back from Bermuda and when my wife got nervous she started calling the Coast Guard and ran up about $100.00 in long distance charges as well as I am sure driving the Coasties absolutely crazy. Last night she informed me that if I hiked the section from Smokemont to Davenport Gap alone and didn't check in daily she was going to repeat the same stunt, only this time with the park service.

It's too late for homicide or a quick divorce and I'm uncertain about the cell connections past Smokemont. Does anyone know whether or not there are connections? When I hiked the section from Fontana to Bryson City I could hit a cell every day at some point or aother, but I had a clear shot across the lake at some point daily.

SGT Rock
10-14-2006, 09:59
My experience with my Cingular service is I cannot get a signal in that area along the roads, I doubt it would work in the mountains. I reckon it depends on your service.

generoll
10-14-2006, 13:00
thanks for the information. i may have to adjust my plans accordingly.

generoll
12-16-2007, 00:35
Just an update here. Verizon worked at Mount Sterling tower both for voice, data, and picture transmission. Ypu can find place along the Mount Sterling Ridge trail where Verizon works. I was able to talk and text from Cosby Knob shelter.

SGT Rock
12-16-2007, 02:18
Good to Know. I have checked my US Cellular on the BMT at Hwy 68 near Martin's Dixie Depot and at Thunder Rock Campground and had both digital and voice (on Verizon towers). At Deals Gap I once got very bad voice service - but only when I walked a little ways into Tennessee. When I was at the Motorcycle hotel I got nothing at all.

Sly
12-16-2007, 05:55
Whn n dout tri txt!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-16-2007, 06:13
I've had fairly good luck with Verizon in that general area, but I haven't been out on the trails in the eastern GSMNP yet to test it. I did not have service there with Cingular or with US Cellular in the past.

As for no time for a homicide - unless you enjoy hiking on Brushy Mountain, I wouldn't recommend it :p ;) :D

SGT Rock
12-16-2007, 10:05
My experience with US Cellular is they apparently use the same systems because in places where I cannot get US Cellular I can roam with Verizon and still get the same level of digital and voice. So I agree Verizon probably has the best coverage, but with US Cellular my experience is I get the benefit of the Verizon and US Cellular infrastructure.

generoll
12-16-2007, 10:35
I got voice and data connections from the Mt. Sterling Ridge Trail and of course the Mount Sterling firetower. I also got good connections from the Cosby Knob shelter, although that is not on the BMT. Verizon. I've gotten service on top of Big Frog, but it's been quite awhile since I verified that.

generoll
12-16-2007, 10:37
hmmm, guess i repeated myself. musta been typing in my sleep last night.

docdb
12-20-2008, 11:51
I get reception along the Hemp Top Trail using Verizon.
Don