PDA

View Full Version : My Hennessy was COLD last night

jessearl
10-15-2006, 19:00
I'm in Florida and was backpacking in the Ocala National Forest from Friday till this afternoon.

Had a great time and really enjoyed the trails the the spring-fed ponds that cover the area around Juniper Springs Recreation Area in the forest.

This was my second trip using my Hennessy. The first time was about 7 weeks ago on an overnight just the test the hammock out which was brand new then. It was about the high 70's during the night and I loved every minute of it and slept like a baby.

Because of my first experience with the Hennessy some number of weeks before, I didn't think I would need a pad underneath me this weekend. I thought the temperature would still be high enough that the sleeping bag would be sufficient. Hey, I'm in Florida, right? So even though it was packed initially, I left it home to save on weight. I'm new to backpacking and tried to keep my pack as light as I could. I was at 25 lbs. this weekend and that was reasonable.

But Friday night low was in the high 50's and I was very cold during the night. I woke up about 4-5 times shivering. But I at least slept through the whole night. I just used the sleeping bag unzipped as a blanket.

Saturday night's low was in the high 40's and I was frigid. I went to bed about 10 and woke up around 12:30. I could tell it was going to be cold that night so with much wiggling and tugging and sliding, I was able to get inside the bag and have both underneath and over me. I couldn't get it zipped up so it was more like I was inside a taco than a sleeping bag.

It wasn't enough.

By 2:30 I had had enough and got out of my hammock. I couldn't take any more of the cold and it was futile to continue to try and get warm.

I went and restarted our camp fire and kept it aflame until daybreak. It was my only hope for staying warm last night.

I never thought the conversations about needing a underquilt or sleeping pad in cold weather applied to me. But I learned something important about my hammock and no harm was done.

And I still love sleeping in my Hennessy much more than a tent.

Hangman
10-15-2006, 19:16
Jessearl, I use somthing under me anytime the temp will fall below 68 to 70. i used to use a pad now i have an underquilt which works great. at times when temps are between 55 and 70 i drap my sleeping bag over the ridge line or i would be to hot inside but still need the nest under the hammock. i use my sleeping bag as a quilt.

FanaticFringer
10-15-2006, 19:45
I used both my JRB Nest and a 3/8 pad last night in the North Georgia Mountains. Temps were around 35. Cozy warm. You might look at getting you a Speer SPE or making one yourself.

Just Jeff
10-15-2006, 20:08
Glad you had a safe trip...a campfire is a safe enough bailout plan...haha! Bet you were tired on the hike out, though! Good to hear you're gonna stick with the hammock, too...it's really not hard to stay warm in a hammock, just requires a different set of skills and equipment. But it's so comfy it's worth it, no?

Check here for some tips on staying warm. I'm just changing some stuff around to make it look slicker, so let me know if something doesn't look right on your browser. The info should all be there, though.
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html

Skidsteer
10-15-2006, 20:12
I used both my JRB Nest and a 3/8 pad last night in the North Georgia Mountains. Temps were around 35. Cozy warm. You might look at getting you a Speer SPE or making one yourself.

Dude. Where in the North Georgia Mountains?

I recorded 28 F. at my home(less than 1500' AMSL) last night. It may have been colder than you thought. :eek:

FanaticFringer
10-15-2006, 21:36
Blood Mountain. Slaughter Creek Trail. Elevation pushing 4000'
Temp reading at 7:30 was 40 degrees. Could have been in the low 30's but did'nt check. Wind was crazy up there. Probably 30-40 mph gusts.

SuperTroll
10-16-2006, 10:24
getting into the bag is not really hard, TRY THIS:

Pull the bag from the hammock and step into in standing up (Like putting on your pants)...Zip it up to just under your armpits....Sit back inside the hammock as usual and drawn in your feet...

with a little trial and error you will find this works well. Use a plastic bag for a clean surface just below the hammock opening as it helps keep the bag clean and debris out of the hammock.

I use a partially deflated Ultralight Hiker Thermarest mattress in the hammock as well on cold nights, just push the foot end to the right or left depending on which side you place your feet when you are in the hammock; then when you enter the hammock, your feet will swing in over the foot end and into the position you sleep in....less struggle to get onto the pad and into your bag...

DareN
10-16-2006, 10:28
Hey Jessearl,

I bought a Hennessy, used it a couple of times, and actually gave up on hammocking. I think I'm too much of a sleeping bag and ground sleeper. That's good you're sticking with it though. Follow Just Jeff's advice, and I think you're going to have to go the underquilt/overquilt route. It might be Florida, but it can still get cold overnight there in Ocala. I go to Withlacochee State Forest alot, and it got down to the mid 40's Saturday night. I'm somewhat new to backpacking also.

peter_pan
10-16-2006, 13:04
I regularly hang at Big Cypress Seminole Reservation in January an use under and top quilts.... florida can get chilly even down on alligator alley...

Pan

Jaybird
10-16-2006, 13:33
I'm in Florida and was backpacking in the Ocala National Forest from Friday till this afternoon............yada,yada,yada,.............. ................ blah,blah,blah,....
.. my Hennessy....... Hey, I'm in Florida, right? .................very cold during the night. .

Why dont you download one of those NEW HAMMOCK HANGER avatars & slap a few icicles on it....hehehehehehehehe:D

Seeker
10-16-2006, 16:28
hey! i'm actually north of somebody!

jessearl
10-16-2006, 19:08
Hey Jessearl,

I bought a Hennessy, used it a couple of times, and actually gave up on hammocking. I think I'm too much of a sleeping bag and ground sleeper. That's good you're sticking with it though. Follow Just Jeff's advice, and I think you're going to have to go the underquilt/overquilt route. It might be Florida, but it can still get cold overnight there in Ocala. I go to Withlacochee State Forest alot, and it got down to the mid 40's Saturday night. I'm somewhat new to backpacking also.

The Withlacochee Forest is about 300 yards from my house.

Where in the forest did you go this weekend?