PDA

View Full Version : Millinocket hostel/shuttle situation?

Auntie Mame
10-15-2006, 21:24
What's the latest info on hiker friendly private lodging (not motels) and shuttle services in Millinocket? Any experiences this season to share with others? Thanks.

Miss Janet
10-18-2006, 20:45
I don't know if they are taking hikers and helping with shuttles right now.... but I have heard that there will be a changing of the guard there next year. Some great people will be taking over there and it will be a very hiker friendly place with great services for sure.

TJ aka Teej
10-18-2006, 21:16
Hi Wilder,
The AT Lodge is still open, they put up Dogwood in Earl Shaffer's old room the other day. I too heard the place was sold, but here's still a for-sale-by-owner sign up near the door. The only local shuttle is Minuteman Taxi, dependable and knowledgable. Phone #s, etc at: http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm

Heater
10-19-2006, 10:36
Hi Wilder,
The AT Lodge is still open, they put up Dogwood in Earl Shaffer's old room the other day. I too heard the place was sold, but here's still a for-sale-by-owner sign up near the door. The only local shuttle is Minuteman Taxi, dependable and knowledgable. Phone #s, etc at: http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm

Didn't MS catch a bus to Gorham? If so, How often does the bus come through?

veteran
10-19-2006, 11:08
The Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket has a website (http://appalachiantraillodge.com/).

Heater
10-19-2006, 11:30
Didn't MS catch a bus to Gorham? If so, How often does the bus come through?

Nevermind. I found the info. Taxi to Medway and bus from there, once a day it looks like, to Bangor.

Thor
10-25-2006, 10:53
Hi Wilder,
The AT Lodge is still open, they put up Dogwood in Earl Shaffer's old room the other day. I too heard the place was sold, but here's still a for-sale-by-owner sign up near the door.

I stayed in the ATL when I finished up on the 6th. The owner said that the sale is 'almost guaranteed'. It's not a sure thing yet, but he has no doubts that the sale will go through. He also said that the buyers are buying with the intent to keep running it as an AT hostel, so things shouldn't be changing too much.

The only local shuttle is Minuteman Taxi, dependable and knowledgable. Phone #s, etc at: http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm

The taxi, apparently, will also run errands for you. Danger called them from the Blue Ox and had them bring him cigarettes. :D

10-25-2006, 22:26
The couple who help us every Spring (Paul and Jamie) have the contract on the Lodge. The financing has been approved and the closing is supposed to be May 1 when the current owners return from thier wintering in Florida.
Paul and Jamie have been a great help to us and will do a great job with their own place.

Pokey2006
10-25-2006, 22:44
Is that Paul, as in Old Man? I recall he was a New England native, but didn't think he's want to leave Georgia to return to our chilly corner of the world.

anneandbenhike
10-26-2006, 22:35
I met Paul and Jamie at the Hike Inn at Fontana about two weeks ago the night before I started my Smokies Hike. They are buying it in partnership with their son and daughter (in-law maybe) and plan to operate the inn and the restaurant. They were busy learning all they could from Jeff and Nancy at Hike Inn. They will take posession of the place on May 1, 2007.

Pokey2006
10-26-2006, 22:38
Again, is Paul in fact Old Man, does anyone know? Don't know him well, but he did give me my trail name and he is a Mass. native (if I remember right), so, well, I guess I just plain like the guy and wish him well on this, if I'm thinking of the same person.

MOWGLI
10-26-2006, 22:47
Again, is Paul in fact Old Man, does anyone know?

Yes, in fact. He is.

Pokey2006
10-26-2006, 22:53
Awesome! He's a wealth of knowledge. SOBOs will benefit from having him up there at the start of their hikes.

Fly By Mike
10-26-2006, 23:12
What a great move! Millinocket needs some new energy and I hope the town will welcome Paul and Jamie. I will.

Butch Cassidy
10-27-2006, 01:41
Great news We look forward to staying there the first week in Aug. when we finish our Thru. We also look forward to those beers on top of White Cap, Strong work on signing our Guest book Mr. FlybyMike. See Ya on White Cap, Butch:) :)

Fly By Mike
10-27-2006, 22:16
Yes Butch, I'll be following you in your journal and looking for ya around the last week of July.