PDA

View Full Version : AT Marketing Idea

dperry
10-16-2006, 23:56
Crossed the AT on expressways four times in the past two weeks: once on I-80 at DWG (while taking my honeybun up Mt. Tammany to pop her the question; see post in General forum), once on PA 33 at Wind Gap (coming home from same) and twice on the PA Turnpike at Appalachian Drive in Carlisle going back and forth from my aunt's funeral. :( Was thinking that if I wasn't a voracious student of the maps, I wouldn't have known that I was going across the trail at those points. Maybe it would be a good idea for the ATC to put up big signs at freeway crossing points, or else lobby the various state DOT's to do the same. So many people use those roads: it could be a great attention-gaining device.

Skidsteer
10-17-2006, 00:01
Crossed the AT on expressways four times in the past two weeks: once on I-80 at DWG (while taking my honeybun up Mt. Tammany to pop her the question; see post in General forum), once on PA 33 at Wind Gap (coming home from same) and twice on the PA Turnpike at Appalachian Drive in Carlisle going back and forth from my aunt's funeral. :( Was thinking that if I wasn't a voracious student of the maps, I wouldn't have known that I was going across the trail at those points. Maybe it would be a good idea for the ATC to put up big signs at freeway crossing points, or else lobby the various state DOT's to do the same. So many people use those roads: it could be a great attention-gaining device.

GA has signs already. Some specify the trail as the AT along with the hiker stick-figure; Some have the hiker stick-figure only.

RITBlake
10-17-2006, 01:02
The mass pike features a prominent "Appalachian Trail" sign on the footbridge that crosses the highway.

But does the AT REALLY need to be marketed?

I think it's cooler when it's unmarked. Kind of a shared secret among the hiking community.

Vi+
10-17-2006, 16:09
Many hikers believe there is a much higher incidence of people doing bad things to them at road crossings.

Why advertise the prey?

Sly
10-17-2006, 16:19
I have to wonder how many quickly passed "Appalachian Trail" signs were subliminal messages that took root later to check out the trail or thru-hike? No doubt a few...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-17-2006, 16:47
I have to wonder how many quickly passed "Appalachian Trail" signs were subliminal messages that took root later to check out the trail or thru-hike? No doubt a few...I guess that could happen (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/ATsign.gif)

Lone Wolf
10-17-2006, 16:49
I guess that could happen (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/ATsign.gif)

Where do you come up with this *****t?:D

Sly
10-17-2006, 16:50
I guess that could happen (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/ATsign.gif)

LOL.... You'll have to show me how you do that sometime!

Gray Blazer
10-17-2006, 16:56
You are too funny.:sun

DavidNH
10-17-2006, 16:57
the very last thing we need is MORE advertizing about the AT. Every even semi serious hiker knows about it, the internet is chalk full of information about the trail (try a quick google search!) and the trail in spring is seriously over crowded in the southern parts.

what would be more helpful would be away to spread out the crowds..perhaps some sort of reservation or permit system at shelters..but man I can just hear what a hornets nest that would stir up at the mere suggestion!. Or perhaps we could have more books about how hard the trail is and less romatisizing it or giving inaccurate descriptions (Bill Bryson).

David

Sly
10-17-2006, 17:10
Well there's no way 1500 thru-hikers are solely going to support the trail, especially now since the numbers are dwindling. Trying to keep it for oneselves isn't going to help the trail at all. As far as the crowded south, each and every northbounder perpetuates that in their sellfishness with the idea of attaching importance to an end to end hike. As it is, the ATC suggests starting at Harpers Ferry ot other places and flip flops.

Shelter reservations along the entire trail? Practically impossible and much too costly.

In order for the trail to survive and thrive new blood is needed.

StarLyte
10-17-2006, 17:32

THAT was great.

Sly
10-17-2006, 17:42
Nationwide tv/radio spots?

I don't think we have to go that far, the original post was about trail crossing signs, but in the past other National Parks have been advertised.

Jack Tarlin
10-18-2006, 13:32
Posting more Trail crossing signs could actually be beneficial to hikers, especially folks hitching to town from those crossings. In the eyes of many drivers, hitching near one of these signs would "legitimize" the hitcher in the driver's eyes, i.e., since so many folks have heard of the Trail, they wouldn't necessarily think the hiker was just a bum standing on the roadside with a backpack, but instead, they'd assume he was on the Trail, and might be more inclined to help them out.

Also, it amazes me that wherever I go on the Trail, I've met locals who are unaware that the A.T. was in their backyard. In many cases, they've never even heard of it! Trail crossing signs would let an awful lot of people know about the Trail, or it'd remind folks of the Trail's presence in their community, which means they might develop a better understanding of who the skinny bearded people are who annually shop in their markets, visit their libraries, sit outside their Post offices, and most important of all, frequently depend on locals for rides, etc.

Educating people about the Trail's presence in a community is, in my opinion, a positive thing, for both the Trail, and for hikers.

That being said, the signage should be placed by State or Federal officials, or perhaps, and this would be best of all, it could be done by local trail club volunteers, so neither state nor federal funds would have to be spent on this.
(Signage is more expensive than you think, and replacing stolen signs is time consuming as well as costly; there's NO WAY the ATC could cover the costs for this, considering the hundreds and hundreds of places where the Trail crosses a road).

MOWGLI
10-18-2006, 13:41

May I have permission to reuse this GIF for non-commercial purposes?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-18-2006, 14:02
May I have permission to reuse this GIF for non-commercial purposes?Absolutely. If there is a phrase or other emblem you would like me to add, let me know.

dperry
10-19-2006, 15:50
I know about the signs that are at crossings where one can actually access the Trail; there are quite a few other states besides Georgia that have those. I was thinking more specifically, however, of signs on expressways (although having more of the other kind of signs is a good idea too!), where it's often very difficult to tell that you're going over the Trail, particularly if you don't already know it's there to begin with. And I'm also talking about honkin' big, colorful signs, like these:

http://dipin.kent.edu/Watershed_Signs.htm

In response to the objections: on freeways, it's generally hard for bad guys to access the Trail directly. Not to mention, if the bad guys are local (which they usually are), they'll know where the Trail is anyway. And the need to keep hikers safe should be balanced against the need for hikers to find the Trail in the first place. I know, as a section hiker, I'm going to need to find a lot of crossings in the years to come. Signs would make that easier for me.

As far as not encouraging use: it strikes me that if you want to keep something to yourself, you ought to be willing to pay for it all by yourself. Right now, there are quite a few signs that the hiker community is not willing to take on that kind of commitment right now. Also, increasing awareness, particularly among locals (greatly needed, as Jack points out) might lessen support for building race tracks and resorts near the Trail, as people came to realize the fragility of the Trail and the importance and coolness:) of having it near them.

weary
10-19-2006, 16:57
....Also, it amazes me that wherever I go on the Trail, I've met locals who are unaware that the A.T. was in their backyard. In many cases, they've never even heard of it! Trail crossing signs would let an awful lot of people know about the Trail, or it'd remind folks of the Trail's presence in their community, which means they might develop a better understanding of who the skinny bearded people are who annually shop in their markets, visit their libraries, sit outside their Post offices, and most important of all, frequently depend on locals for rides, etc......
In '93 as I approached a hilltop in New Jersey I heard the roar of motors, and came upon a bunch of teenagers on off-road motor bikes.

I was a bit nervous, having heard tales about big city teens. Anyway one approached me and asked, "Where did you come from?"

"Georgia," I replied.

"How did you get here?"

"I followed the white blazes."

Puzzled, my questioner walked over and inspected a blaze. "Hmm." he said, "Someone must have painted them."

"Yup," I replied.

There ensued a lot of questions about the trail, campsites and stuff. before the kids zoomed off down hill with just one last observation.

"I'll bet you haven't been on a hill as high as this one."

Weary

STEVEM
10-19-2006, 17:09
In '93 as I approached a hilltop in New Jersey I heard the roar of motors, and came upon a bunch of teenagers on off-road motor bikes.

I was a bit nervous, having heard tales about big city teens. Anyway one approached me and asked, "Where did you come from?"

"Georgia," I replied.

"How did you get here?"

"I followed the white blazes."

Puzzled, my questioner walked over and inspected a blaze. "Hmm." he said, "Someone must have painted them."

"Yup," I replied.

There ensued a lot of questions about the trail, campsites and stuff. before the kids zoomed off down hill with just one last observation.

"I'll bet you haven't been on a hill as high as this one."

Weary

I'll have you know that we pay the highest property taxes in the nation to educate these fine youts. NJEA take note.

RAT
10-20-2006, 19:12
We have AT signs on most all major road crossings here in Tennessee. I agree that new blood is needed, but not for hiking the trail, there will always be plenty of people doing that, what is needed is more young people to help with trail maintenance and to replace so many of the old geezers that are slowly retiring and dying off. Trail work is hard and its all volunteer so it's hard to get people to volunteer to do it for any length of time and doing it long term is rough on a body. It is the best way I know to "give back" to the trail if only for one day.

RAT