PDA

View Full Version : Campsites between Palmerton and Wind Gap? (PA)

Walessp
10-17-2006, 07:35
Are there any good campsites we should look for along the ridge line between Palmerton and Wind Gap (PA) ? I was looking specifically at the area between Delps Trail and Smith Gap. None show on my ATC map and I don't think I can do a one day hike all the way to LeRoy Smith Shelter.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sky Rider

(walessp)

saimyoji
10-17-2006, 12:30
If you are hammocking, there are some nice places between Lehigh and Little Gaps. If you are tenting, cross little gap into the woods and stealth there. Don't pitch your tent on the tall grass please. :rolleyes:

greyowl
10-17-2006, 16:12
Little Gap is not too cool a place to camp. The ski resort has been gearing up for the ski season. Smith Gap is a better bet and there is a near water source at the Gap. I have camped in the area several times.

Bob

Pokey2006
10-18-2006, 01:12
There was a little campsite with a HUGE firepit and a real nice overlook over the valley, perfect for a sunrise, about 12 miles before Wind Gap, so right in the middle. Look for a side trail on the east side of the AT. I don't recall that it's marked, but it might be.

I recall another campsite or two in that same area, so finding a place to tent shouldn't be a problem. However, water is a real issue on that stretch. Make sure you bring what you need from town. Water sources are way off the trail, if the springs are even running.