PDA

View Full Version : Wind and Rain

maxNcathy
10-17-2006, 11:52
What do you think a guy or gal should do to ease the pain of rain on the way to Maine?

I have some questions:

Are Marmot PreCip jackets waterproof?
How do ponchos fit while carrying a pack?
How does one hike with poles and use an umbrella?
Do you know of a hat that works well in wind and rain?
Is windproof fleece effective in the wind and rain and is it very breathable?

Please advise as I am having trouble deciding what to use for hiking north from Ga. March 19. or thereabouts.

Almost There
10-17-2006, 13:08
What do you think a guy or gal should do to ease the pain of rain on the way to Maine?

I have some questions:

Please advise as I am having trouble deciding what to use for hiking north from Ga. March 19. or thereabouts.

Rain sucks! Period! However, to answer your questions.

Marmot PreCip Jackets are waterproof, they won't let water in...or out for that matter, so if you sweat...you will be wet, however with insulators it will help to keep you warm.

Ponchos and packs...never used a poncho with a pack.

One does not hike with an umbrella while using hiking poles...you're gonna get wet...just learn to deal with it.

I believe Marmot makes a precip hat, personally, I hike witha widebrim quickdrying hat most of the time and switch to a wool winter hat when it gets cold.

Windproof fleece??? Go with wind resistant! I have yet to find a fleece that compeletly kept that cold out, that being I have other gear that takes car of this very minor problem.

khaynie
10-17-2006, 13:31
Are Marmot PreCip jackets waterproof? It keeps the rain off and the sweat in. Answer: Not really.

How do ponchos fit while carrying a pack? didn't/don't use one; you would probably overheat...not to mention it getting caught on everything

How does one hike with poles and use an umbrella? Learn to juggle...nah, leave one or the other at the house - if it were me, i'd leave the umbrella

Do you know of a hat that works well in wind and rain? Seattle Sombrero by OR

Is windproof fleece effective in the wind and rain and is it very breathable? Fleece works well; however, I couldn't imagine hiking in it unless the temps were below freezing. If that's the case you'll proably be hiking through a blizzard if there is precip around...

Conslusion:

Just know that there is no way around getting wet on your through hike. I would suggest finding a solution that makes you the most comfortable with staying nasty and wet on your thru.

Here is what worked for me on dealing with the rain:

LINE PACK WITH LAWN AND LEAF BAG OR TRASH COMPACTOR BAG
Hike daily in the same clothes - the first 60 seconds of putting them on is the worst part - if it's cold, put your socks, drawers, shirt, etc under your sleeping pad
Have dry camp clothes to put on when the day's hike is over I hoped this helped your planning.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-17-2006, 13:44
Precip is waterproof - doesn't breathe all that well from what I've heard (no personal experience)

Backpacking ponchos (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=9996340&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1) have extra material that covers the pack. Ponchos get in the way when climbing and tend to blow around in windy rain (I tie a piece of my tarp cord loosely around my waist to keep it down). I also use arm gaiters in cold rain to keep sleeves dry.

Some people figure out ways to anchor an umbrella in the pack or straps - they are only useful for light to moderate rain with low wind. I carry one in warm, rainy seasons and love it. It fits down in a side pocket next to my water bottle.

Creek Dancer
10-17-2006, 14:05
Precip works best if you put a layer between your skin and the precip fabric. Otherwise, you will just sweat.

-MYST-
10-17-2006, 15:03
Inevitably you'll get wet no matter what you wear. The important thing is to wear something that will stop the wind and cold from getting to you when you are wet from rain or sweat. Also as pointed out earlier always keep a set of clothes dry for at camp/shelter along with your sleeping bag. Keeping these items in a waterproof stuff sac and wrapped in a garbage bag, then placing them in the deepest/driest part of your pack. So you will always have a warm dry place to retreat to and the end of the day. You will find out, clothes will not dry out overnight. Sometimes the best place to put your wet clothes is under your sleeping pad, where the weight, body heat and absorbent qualities of the shelter floor will dry them out better than hanging them up. In the morning put your wet clothes back on (it will sure help wake you up :)) and put your dry items back away to protect them for the next night. I can remember quite a few times where I actually enjoyed the rain during the days hiking (during the mid summers heat in the middle states). I learned that gore-tex is totally over rated and even hate it in my shoes or boots. It will keep your feet constantly wet. It's breathability is negligable if at all. I found that items that will get wet quicker also dry out alot quicker and 85% that is a real big plus. Learn to pick the items that will keep you warm, dry is virtually impossible. Totally waterproof covers are for your dry gear and backpack, they don't sweat.

The Solemates
10-17-2006, 15:24
What do you think a guy or gal should do to ease the pain of rain on the way to Maine? Do your best to stay dry, but prepare to get wet. For me, that is the Marmot precip jacket and pants, and a pack cover. Bottomline though...no pain, no rain, no Maine.

I have some questions:

Are Marmot PreCip jackets waterproof? Nothing is waterproof. There are, however, varying levels of water resistance.
How do ponchos fit while carrying a pack? Not very well, although the Packa looks like it works better than the cheap plastic poncho. (but Ive never used it).
How does one hike with poles and use an umbrella? By rigging it to your pack above your head. But hiking with an umbrella is ridiculous.
Do you know of a hat that works well in wind and rain? Marmot precip makes a hat, or the OR sombrero type hats look good (but hot!)
Is windproof fleece effective in the wind and rain and is it very breathable? It is windproof, and does a pretty good job at it, but only slightly water resistant.

See comments in bold.

Blissful
10-17-2006, 15:33
[quote=Almost There;257098]
I believe Marmot makes a precip hat, personally, I hike witha widebrim quickdrying hat most of the time and switch to a wool winter hat when it gets cold.
quote]

Am getting one of those waterproof Marmot Precip baseball caps from Campmor (hopefully should come today in time to try it out as it's raining). I think the hoods on the jackets makes you hot but I need a brim for my glasses.

I have a precip jacket, North face rain pants, and a homemade sil nylon pack cover. I hear though that lining your pack with a compactor / garbage bag is wise.

Kerosene
10-17-2006, 15:49
Are Marmot PreCip jackets waterproof? From what I've heard they are. However all of the mass market solutions are less than optimal across the range of conditions you're likely to encounter on the AT outside of winter. eVENT is a "next generation" laminate that works much better, but it is still very, very expensive. See http://www.integraldesigns.com/product.cfm?id=24&CFID=7378347&CFTOKEN=43005992&mainproducttypeid=1 (http://www.integraldesigns.com/product.cfm?id=24&CFID=7378347&CFTOKEN=43005992&mainproducttypeid=1). I have the Rain Jacket but probably should have gotten the Thru Hiker Jacket despite its extra weight to keep my butt drier. The jacket is definitely more comfortable than the mass market laminates, but you can still work up a sweat in one on a big climb.

How do ponchos fit while carrying a pack? Okay, but I'd go with The Packa (http://www.thepacka.com/) to get pack coverage and more controlled ventilation. One of these days I'll have to special order one in eVENT!

How does one hike with poles and use an umbrella? You don't. The closest solution I've seen to this is the LuxuryLite Trail Umbrella (http://www.luxurylite.com/umbrellaindex.html) which you can insert into their external frame pack and poles. Frankly I see this being more of a hassle than it's worth.

Do you know of a hat that works well in wind and rain? I just use a plastic-brimmed nylon ballcap from Mountain Hardwear, but the Seattle Sombrero looks like it would do a good job if you're not wearing a hood.

Is windproof fleece effective in the wind and rain and is it very breathable? These garments are DWR (durable water repellency) treated and will shed a moderate rain. They will eventually soak through, especially given the duration and intensity of rain you're likely to see on the AT in the Spring and Summer. While breathable, such a solution would give you fewer options for layering than a windproof eVENT shell.

Blissful
10-17-2006, 18:41
Update - used my precip baseball cap in the pouring rain tonight. Felt cooler on my head and no spotty glasses. I'm sold!

maxNcathy
10-18-2006, 07:49
Thank-You very much for your advice.

Another question, please:

Would any of You bring along both a PreCip jacket and Frog Toggs type jacket or would either one be good enough?

Thanks,
Sandalwood

Peaks
10-18-2006, 08:42
Thank-You very much for your advice.

Another question, please:

Would any of You bring along both a PreCip jacket and Frog Toggs type jacket or would either one be good enough?

Thanks,
Sandalwood

NO. One rain jacket is more than enough.

Many choose Frogg Toggs because they are cheap and light. However, durability is an issue. Myself, I carry a PreCip jacket and Frogg Togg pants.

Johnny Swank
10-18-2006, 09:11
You only need one jacket - either the Frogg Togg (if you're a little careful) or the Precip would be fine.

I didn't buy into the Seattle Sombero cult for the longest time. I hate wearing hoods, and most of the time would just get my head wet. Before we went down the Mississippi River last year, I bought one after being badgered by one of my friends. Turns out we had 19 straight days of rain to start off with. I'm sold - those things are awesome. Wouldn't carry one during the summer, but for spring/fall trips mines coming with me.

Bottom line is, your going to get wet, or at least really damp. Make sure your sleeping bag and a change of clothes is alway dry (line you pack with a compactor bag, put bag and clothes in waterproof stuff sacks) and you're good to go.

Kerosene
10-18-2006, 09:23
One jacket is more than enough. Strive to have each piece of gear serve dual purposes, or at least give you increased flexibility.

highway
10-18-2006, 11:48

I have some questions:

Yes. Those who sweat in them wear to many clothes under them. If you begin to sweat, take off layers and you want sweat. I am amazed why so many dont. I have used one for 2 1/2 years and I carry it stuffed inside my gearskin pack. Works great. I use it only when it is colder.

Depends on the type. In a little warmer weather I use an Integral Design silponcho:
http://www.integraldesigns.com/product.cfm?id=6&CFID=7378347&CFTOKEN=43005992&mainproducttypeid=1
Sides snap, its a little tricky throwing it over your head and get it over the pack too, but you learn how. You dont need a pack cover, either. It sucks on narow mountain ledges going uphill as the tendency is to step on a dangling edge so you have to gather it up like a skirt at times. It does keep you quite dry, its more airy.

Dont know as I have not done so yet. But I dont use poles but a single staff. I have and am going to give this a try, as I have their staff :
http://www.luxurylite.com/umbrellaindex.html

I go with a visor for 3-season, a duckbill one and cover my head with the hood of the raingear if I use it or mountain shirt. If I get cold, i put the silk scarf on my head too. I dont like a hat because if it is warm I sweat too much with one but want the bill for shade over my eyes, hence just a visor suffices beautifully. Plus it is lighter. If its cold, I use a silk scarf tied around my head, then the visor on top of that.

It depends on the type. This is an older concept of mountain wear first espoused by the Europeans, but I believe originated by the British. Marmot dri-clime wind shirt comes to mind as a successful knock-off of the concept, inner lightweight fleece for wicking but a very highly breathable outer shell which is only water resistant, so dryness is obtained with motion and heat. If the outer were more water resistant it would be less breathable (gore-tex and sundry others, for instance.) It goes against all that we have learned to do, which is to rely heavily on some outer completely waterproof surface (less breathable) on the outer clothing to keep us dry. The European (Really British, I believe) concept eliminates the outer shell and it seems to work, and quite well, really, especially in colder weather. Here are some sources for the concept and some applicable clothing choices:
http://www.rrv-bsa.com/Resources/Ultralight%20Clothing.htm
http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Buffalo_41.html
http://www.needlesports.com/gearreviews/buffalo.htm
http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/ls1.htm
http://www.paramo.co.uk/UK/p500winners.html
The last entry look for their mountain shirt which works quite well, plus it is hooded so you dont need a separate hat.

Good luck!

Boat Drinks
10-20-2006, 12:03
Is Fleece works well; however, I couldn't imagine hiking in it unless the temps were below freezing.

Please explain why? I love fleece, it is warm and breaths well IMO. Are you saying it's too warm?

Footslogger
10-20-2006, 12:11
Please explain why? I love fleece, it is warm and breaths well IMO. Are you saying it's too warm?
======================================

Fleece is heavy and bulky. Those are the main reasons hikers opt to trade them in for down or primaloft jackets/pullovers. Fleece works great and I have several pieces that I wear around town at home but I would not consider carrying it on a distance hike, where space and weight are at a premium

'Slogger

Johnny Swank
10-20-2006, 12:18
I agree with the move from fleece. Carryed an R3 jacket from Patagonia on my hike, and would have killed to have had the Mountain Hardware Phantom Jacket I'm using now. Lighter, much warmer, and more compressable.

FWIW - Expedition wgt fleece (polartec 100) is virtually the same weight as a midweight Capilene piece. After learned that, my midweight stuff hasn't been in my pack on any trip. I like the lightweight stuff for hiking in, and the expedtion stuff if it's cold enough to justify it.

Boat Drinks
10-20-2006, 17:01
would have killed to have had the Mountain Hardware Phantom Jacket I'm using now. Lighter, much warmer, and more compressible.

http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/18565/ Is this the one? This looks like a huge winter puffy coat. This is more compressible than a fleece? Do we need this much coat on a thru hike?

Boat Drinks
10-20-2006, 17:02
FWIW - Expedition wgt fleece (polartec 100) is virtually the same weight as a midweight Capilene piece. After learned that, my midweight stuff hasn't been in my pack on any trip. I like the lightweight stuff for hiking in, and the expedtion stuff if it's cold enough to justify it.

You lost me here, (not hard to do). Please expound on this point a bit if you would. :o

Boat Drinks
10-20-2006, 17:12
http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/10563#photo This is what I have and was thinking of using. It's a tad heavy at 21 oz, but I can roll it down to a pretty small size. So besides the weight, whats wrong with this?

RockyTrail
10-20-2006, 17:40
I second the remarks on the Seattle Sombrero. I use a hooded jacket similar to the Precip, but rarely use the hood. The SS is like having a porch around your head, you can breathe and the rain drops off far enough away to not be a problem. I resisted buying one for a long time and then they had them on deep sale at REI once and it was a good choice (except for the sometimes funky colors). I use Frogg Togg rain pants when its cold wet or winter enough, but they are not used all that often.

fiddlehead
10-20-2006, 19:57
most hikers hole up somewhere when it rains. I don't mind the rain. It is a good time to be in the woods. The animals don't mind it either.
Frogg toggs are the best thing that's happened to backpacking. No need to get wet anymore. Just slow down and enjoy being the only one on the trail when the rain gets heavy.
As for a hat: the Froggy's hood and slight visor work good enough. Maybe a baseball hat underneath but i don't use one.
keep the essentials dry (sleeping bag, socks, sleeping clothes, lighter)
don't forget the shelters will most likely be very full when it rains. in the far south, you won't find room to even stand during the rains. Just walk.

Turtle2
10-21-2006, 22:08
I really like using a foam visor to deflect rain from my face either as the only piece of rain gear (above 50 degrees) or with my Precip jacket over shorts and Hind shirt. Any other layers under the Precip caused me to be too warm. I used my Marmot Dri Clime jacket for every evening of my thru. It blocked the wind and was warm enough most evenings. Layered with the Precip it kept me warm enough while moving around in the evening. After supper if cold, it was sleeping bag time.

The only time I used my rain pants was above treeline in the Whites with a 30-50 mph wind and 40-50 degrees. I preferred to keep them dry for camp clothes.

Johnny Swank
10-22-2006, 09:27
+1 on the Driclime. I picked up one in Manchester Center and wore it everyday till Springer. Awesome tempature range, dries fast, and would be fine with a down vest for pretty much everything I do from April - October. Great piece of gear.

I've sewn a 3 oz windshirt to wear over some Capilene that works well and is lighter, but man I still love my Driclime.

WhoAh
10-22-2006, 13:21
For those considering one of the Seattle Sombrero hats, there is an eBay auction on a couple of them - couple of bucks cheaper (even with shipping) than REI, Campmor, etc.

Johnny Swank
10-22-2006, 13:28
I've never actually weighed mine. Anyone have an accurate rate for a large. 4oz?

I'm probably going to make a silnylon jacket based on AYCE's windshirt plans in a honkin' big size and continue wearing the hat in cooler weather. I really, really hate hoods unless it's just miserably cold.

maxNcathy
01-08-2007, 20:47
I just ordered a Patagonia down shirt 9.5oz to help keep cozy around camp.I hope I like it in bright orange.Anyone have one?

Sandalwood

Spirit Walker
01-08-2007, 20:51
I used a Precip on the CDT this year - it was a total disaster. A previous jacket worked just fine.

Because I wear glasses, I like to have a hat under my hood, so my glasses are a bit protected. A cheap baseball hat will work fine.

I used Frogg Toggs on the PCT and they were great for normal rain but not so good in sleet.

If you are starting early (i.e. early March) you might start with a good Gore-tex type jacket and then switch to something lighter - either Frogg Toggs or a light nylon rainjacket -- in Virginia. Get back your good jacket in New Hampshire.

Bloodroot
01-08-2007, 21:17
I am the numero uno fan of a poncho. I started my 05' thru with Marmot Precip jacket and pants along with a REI pack cover. I found they were more of a hassle than useful. Most rains I encountered were short and hard rains. By the time I put on all the rain gear and covered my pack it had already stopped raining. I ended up switching to a poncho (not a plastic crappy one) in Hot Springs and realized it was the greatest gear switch I made in my thru. You grab that baby out drap it over you and your pack and you are set. Everything stays dry. Less hassle and believe it or not you get better air circulation. Poncho's all the way IMO.

rafe
01-08-2007, 21:32
I second the remarks on the Seattle Sombrero.

I third it, then. Any time of year, the sombrero is in my pack. What a great piece of gear. :)

Blissful
01-08-2007, 21:40
I picked up a Precip visor cap at Campmor for $10. Really like it as I find rain hoods confining and I need to keep the rain off my glasses.

maxNcathy
02-17-2007, 10:56
I picked up a Precip visor cap at Campmor for $10. Really like it as I find rain hoods confining and I need to keep the rain off my glasses.

Me too, Blissful. Glasses can be a pain.I thought of leaving them at home as my eyes are borderline poor. But I bought an OR( Outdoor Research) baseball type cap with lots of mesh on top and it is cool in warmer weather and protects some on top during cold or wet situations.

Sandalwood

oldfivetango
02-17-2007, 12:01
Be advised the LL Umbrella works on the pack and their
older series stick but not their new stick.I have asked Bruce
Warren to make me an adaptor for my new stick-if he does I will
post.
Cheers,
Oldfivetango