PDA

View Full Version : Is this tent too heavy?

Boat Drinks
10-17-2006, 13:30
I already own the The North Face: Rock 22 Bx Tent. It weighs: 5 lbs. 14 oz. Is this stupid heavy? Can I make it thru with this tent? I like the size and the sturdy-ness. I have camped with it a few times, in the rain with no leaks. Do I need to start shoping or will this tent do?:confused:

Gaiter
10-17-2006, 13:34
its a matter of if you want to carry a tent that weighs that much, a guy hiked w/ a tuba, he did it because he wanted to. if you have the means and you would like something lighter it probably wouldn't be a bad investment.

Boat Drinks
10-17-2006, 13:38
Does 1.5-2 pounds reallymake that much difference? Many folks cary 3.5 pound tents. Can't one shave the pounds off elsewhere? Man, I am in the middle of so much information overlo ad!!! ARRRRRRRGHGGGGG!!!!!!!:eek:

Heater
10-17-2006, 13:38
I already own the The North Face: Rock 22 Bx Tent. It weighs: 5 lbs. 14 oz. Is this stupid heavy? Can I make it thru with this tent? I like the size and the sturdy-ness. I have camped with it a few times, in the rain with no leaks. Do I need to start shoping or will this tent do?:confused:

Yeah. I think it's too heavy. I can fastpack my 4.2 pound SD lightning but it still weighs 3 lbs for fly, footprint, poles and stuffsack. I might still do this though.

Probably wind up getting a single Rainbow.
http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html

Buckles
10-17-2006, 13:45
You could get a Double Rainbow that's about half that weight.

http://www.tarptent.com/doublerainbow.html

Boat Drinks
10-17-2006, 13:46
[quote=Austexs;257109]Yeah. I think it's too heavy. I can fastpack my 4.2 pound SD lightning but it still weighs 3 lbs for fly, footprint, poles and stuffsack. I might still do this though.

What does fast pack mean?

Boat Drinks
10-17-2006, 13:48
I keep seeing folks reffer to and talk good about these tarp tents. These are weather proof? Do you get them with floors? Are they everything they are cracked up to be?

Heater
10-17-2006, 13:48
Yeah. I think it's too heavy. I can fastpack my 4.2 pound SD lightning but it still weighs 3 lbs for fly, footprint, poles and stuffsack. I might still do this though.

Probably wind up getting a single Rainbow.
http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html

Maybe the contrail.

Heater
10-17-2006, 13:49
I keep seeing folks reffer to and talk good about these tarp tents. These are weather proof? Do you get them with floors? Are they everything they are cracked up to be?

You have to seam seal them and you can get them with a floor.

Boat Drinks
10-17-2006, 13:51
You have to seam seal them and you can get them with a floor.

Why don't the manufacturers just seam seal the tents? Is there anyone out there that asks for an un-sealed tent? Seems silly to me.

Buckles
10-17-2006, 13:53
I have a Squall2 and a Double Rainbow. Love them. You can order them with or without floors (both of mine have floors). For those concerned about "misting", you can order a clip-in liner for the Double Rainbow.

Seam sealing is strongly suggested, and easy.

Buckles
10-17-2006, 13:55
Why don't the manufacturers just seam seal the tents? Is there anyone out there that asks for an un-sealed tent? Seems silly to me.

Why pay for something you can do yourself? It lets you get to know your tent well, kind of like waxing your own car or skis.

Boat Drinks
10-17-2006, 13:58
Why pay for something you can do yourself? It lets you get to know your tent well, kind of like waxing your own car or skis.

Thank:banana you! I've been looking for a logical answer to this question!

Footslogger
10-17-2006, 14:03
[quote=coralrives;257101]I already own the The North Face: Rock 22 Bx Tent. It weighs: 5 lbs. 14 oz. Is this stupid heavy? Can I make it thru with this tent?
===========================================

No doubt you could make it through with the tent but the real question is do you want to lug a near 6lb shelter with you. How does that factor into your entire packload.

In honesty I would suggest that you look at some lighter weight alternatives.

'Slogger

max patch
10-17-2006, 14:06
If you start off with a 6 pound tent I can almost guarantee you will mail it home at some point because you bought something lighter along the way. Walasi Yi at Neels Gap has a booming business selling hikers lighter gear as they pass thru the store.

Boat Drinks
10-17-2006, 14:11
Rats, back to the gear review drawing board.... I have to make a decision soon, or I'll never get to the Trail head.....

khaynie
10-17-2006, 14:20
It's not stupid heavy. It may be slightly heavy; I guess it depends on how much you like sleeping in it. I carried a 4+ pound TNF Pebble tent the whole way with no regrets. There is nothing like being able to camp where ever you want and being protected from the bugs...

hopefulhiker
10-17-2006, 14:21
I like the Tarp tents, They do come with floors now and are a bug proof solution.. Check out Tarptent.com

Heater
10-17-2006, 14:30
[quote=Austexs;257109]Yeah. I think it's too heavy. I can fastpack my 4.2 pound SD lightning but it still weighs 3 lbs for fly, footprint, poles and stuffsack. I might still do this though.

What does fast pack mean?

Just using the fly, footprint, poles without the inner wall of the tent for setup. It saves about one pound on my tent.

Problem is, no bug protection and splash in heavy rains. With this tent. No problem in the winter really but later I would have to employ the inner tent anyway.

I might fastpack with this tent until after the smokies then switch to my hammock.

Decisions, decisions.

weary
10-17-2006, 14:31
Many have carried six pound tents on the AT -- including me. Mine was a Moss that I bought in 1991 when I was hiking 283 miles through Maine with a 9-year-old grandson. I figured two or three extra pounds made sense since Jon's mother, grandparents and great grand parents all thought mine was a foolish trip to take with such a young kid.

It proved such a sturdy, rain proof shelter that I didn't think twice about taking it to Georgia and walking north two years later. I did switch to a 3 pound $96 bivy when summer began in earnest.

Weary

Happy
10-17-2006, 14:38
Rats, back to the gear review drawing board.... I have to make a decision soon, or I'll never get to the Trail head.....

A good rule is to stay with a shelter that is 2lbs or less per person...you could use a tarptent with floor and bug netting, a tarp with the same or an appropriate hammock setup.

You will probably end up like most people staying in shelters, due to rain, convenience or being too tired to fool with your shelter in the event you are within reach of an established shelter with available space.

icemanat95
10-17-2006, 14:58
6 pound tents (or more) were not uncommon on the trail in the early 90's. I started with a relatively heavy Sierra Designs Meteor Light...there wasn't much that was light about it though. Almost 6 pounds on paper, over 7 in reality when the poles, stakes, stuff-bags and the like are taken into account. I shed it for a 3 pound 4 ounce Walrus Swift. Put it away and have only used it for car camping since... The Swift was a great tent, it pitches super taut and is weathertight.

Boat Drinks
You will probably end up like most people staying in shelters, due to rain, convenience or being too tired to fool with your shelter in the event you are within reach of an established shelter with available space.

I doubt it. My guess is that I will try to tent as much as I can. I don't like sleeping next to strangers, or some friends and family for that matter....:rolleyes: I like my own space. If shelters are empty then yes I would use them, stuffing myself in one with 10 others, I don't see it happening. I will hang out, talk with, entertain, and share with folks at the shelter; I'm not THAt anti-social, but I do like my own space....:jump

Frolicking Dinosaurs
The double Rainbow (http://www.tarptent.com/doublerainbow.html) with the clip in inner wall and a floor is comparable in size (DR-31.5, R 22 bx-30), but weights only 3# and 3 oz. If you are a solo hiker, you may want to look at the single Rainbow (http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html) (23 sq ft with one door / vestibule - weight with floor about 3#).

You might also want to look at the Six Moon Lunar solo (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36). Personally, I feel it is a more stable tent than the Tarptent Contrail. Six moon also offers the soon-to-be-released Lunar duo (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47). I saw a prototype at the ALDHA gathering and that tent is sweet - a huge amount of space inside for 3# 8 ozs and it just felt more stable to me than the double rainbow (Lunar duo requires two trekking poles to set up)

Grampie
10-17-2006, 17:50
When I started to get my gear together for my thru, I already had a Kelty two man backpacking tent. It weighed 5 1/2 lbs. I thought about replaceing it. I figured, why buy a new light tent when 9 out of 10 folks don't make it anyway. So I left Springer with the 5 1/2 lb. tent. When I finally felt that I had a chance to make it all the way I purchased a 2.4 lb. one.
Don't be obsessed with being "lite weight". It helps but it's not the goverening factor of having a sucessfull thru-hike.:sun

Programbo
10-17-2006, 18:59
Don't be obsessed with being "lite weight". It helps but it's not the goverening factor of having a sucessfull thru-hike.

I have to agree here....Way back when everybody carried a tent on the AT and still plenty of people completed successful thru`s....I might even be bold enough to say that back in the 80`s when people carried on average far more weight with supposedly less evolved gear the percentage of successful thru attempts was higher....The one thing I keep mentioning is not to skimp on weight on your pack...How well a pack carries and transfers the weight is more important than the weight of it....40 pounds in a well designed pack that allows you to carry the weight over your bodies center of gravity,transefer the load to your hips and walk in a natural manner will feel lighter and conserve more energy than 30 pounds in a lighter pack

weary
10-17-2006, 22:51
Does 1.5-2 pounds reallymake that much difference? Many folks cary 3.5 pound tents. Can't one shave the pounds off elsewhere? Man, I am in the middle of so much information overlo ad!!! ARRRRRRRGHGGGGG!!!!!!!:eek:
AS some argue, "count the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves. And it's at least partially true.

But also true if you count ounces, you can afford a pound or two of luxury. The difference between 22 pounds and 25 pounds is inaignificant -- especially if the 25 makes supper and breakfast easier and less of an harrassement less of a burden.

Alligator
10-17-2006, 23:16
It's very heavy. There are many tents, tarptents, tarps, bivy sacks, and hammocks that are significantly lighter.

1happyhiker
10-20-2006, 00:27
ive got so many tents cause ive lived everywhere and i run into good deals. my rei half dome, ive abused it so much, finally broke down and got a second gen last year. heavy yes, design for a 6'5 hiker that likes his space, perfect. picked up a hubba hubba, again great tent. as for the weight savings, couldn't really tell but still great design and enough room for me @ 5lbs or so. ive got a kelty from like four years ago that is around 3lbs, very tight for my size but tolerable. my north face 25 is almost four years old, i use in colorado is around 8.5lbs, lol. its kept me cozy (as you can be) at high elevations in white out conditions.

i dont like tarps, i dont like bugs feasting on my parts all nite. i like to be in a tent, and if that costs me 5lbs, so be it. i hauled around 50# packs in the army with gear that weighs three times what it should.

bottom line, try out different equipment. find a store that does rentals and go nuts. borrow a friends stuff and see what you like. haul around different weighted packs, etc. just me .02

-hh

Gaiter
10-20-2006, 01:57
Man, I am in the middle of so much information overlo ad!!! ARRRRRRRGHGGGGG!!!!!!!:eek:

There are so many different opinons its easy to go into infomation overload. Decide what you like:
-does the weight make that big of a difference (consider your pack like programbo said)
-do you like single-walled (like henry shire's tarptents) or double walled (a tent with a fly) A single walled tent will have more condensation issues, but if you can stand some condensation then thats fine.
-do bugs bother you alot, if they don't you could go w/ just a fly/tarp and footprint
-ever tried hammocking, alot of people are big fans of that on the AT because its not hard to find a great place to hang a hammock

take in all the information you can, decide what will work for you, what is a good idea but not quite for you (that may become very helpful information at some point) and what is just plain dumb in relation to you.

Sly
10-20-2006, 03:00
Anyone that thinks it's OK to carry a 6 lb tent or a 4lb tent when they can be carrying a 2 lb tent is old school and out to lunch. That's an extra 4 or 2 lbs carried 2175 miles needlessly when a lighter equally suitable shelter will do just as well.

khaynie
10-20-2006, 06:03
Anyone that thinks it's OK to carry a 6 lb tent or a 4lb tent when they can be carrying a 2 lb tent is old school and out to lunch. That's an extra 4 or 2 lbs carried 2175 miles needlessly when a lighter equally suitable shelter will do just as well.

What 2 lb TENT on the market is free standing, fully sewn in, and can hold up in the wind, rain, snow or doesn't condensate like the inside of a parked buick at a drive in season after season? Please advise.

The Solemates
10-20-2006, 08:39
What 2 lb TENT on the market is free standing, fully sewn in, and can hold up in the wind, rain, snow or doesn't condensate like the inside of a parked buick at a drive in season after season? Please advise.

There isn't a TENT, strictly speaking, but many other shelter options that meet this criteria. There are tents at the 3LB mark that meet this, however.

khaynie
10-20-2006, 08:56
My wife and I prefer to tent, thus being our most viable option. Not a fan of "fast pitching" nor do we like hanging between trees. I am aware of the 3lb mark...just not ready to give up my 4 pounder at this moment...too many memories to let go of.

Boat Drinks
10-20-2006, 10:56
:cool: Thanks guys for the input and patients with a Noob! with all of your help and particularly that of Buckles spending over an hour on the phone with me the other night, I decided on a Tarptent double rainbow with the clip-in liner thingy. I called and spoke with the Traptent proprietor and he was very helpful as well and took time to talk with me. :D

I gotta tell you, how cool is it that a guy who doesn't know me from Adam gives out his phone number invites a call and spends an hour + with me, neglecting his girl friend, just to help me out with my info-overload issues! And then YOU guys, taking time to respond to my posts with my questions that most likely you have read and answered hundreds of times before! This community is cool. Reminds me of a community much like sailors, or private pilots or Harley owners have. It's inherently tight and caring and accepting. I'm overwhelmed with kindness and haven't even started a hike yet!!!!!

THANKS Y'ALL!!! :sun :sun

Grampie
10-20-2006, 11:05
[QUOTE=
This community is cool. Reminds me of a community much like sailors, or private pilots or Harley owners have. It's inherently tight and caring and accepting. I'm overwhelmed with kindness and haven't even started a hike yet!!!!!

THANKS Y'ALL!!! :[/QUOTE]

That's what makes WhiteBlaze great. One big happy family..Most of the time.:sun :sun :sun

Sly
10-20-2006, 11:20

I really don't see the advantages of free standing tents, they still need to be staked down, unless you want them to blow away, and condensations issues with single walled tents are over blown. There's a few designs, Tarptent and Six Moons Designs that will keep you covered and dry. Even tarps will protect you from the elements.

Think of as carrying a 4lb brick from Springer to Katahdin. Who would do that willingly?

khaynie
10-20-2006, 12:02
I really don't see the advantages of free standing tents, they still need to be staked down, unless you want them to blow away, and condensations issues with single walled tents are over blown. There's a few designs, Tarptent and Six Moons Designs that will keep you covered and dry. Even tarps will protect you from the elements.

Think of as carrying a 4lb brick from Springer to Katahdin. Who would do that willingly?

Perhaps the advantages of free standing tents are small, but for me at least, being able to set up on surfaces that you can't stake into, being able to p/u and shake out debris, no ropes, etc. are worth it.

In regards to tarps, I like fully sewn in tents...after the mosqitoes and fly's my wife and I experienced last year on our SOBO, we would have needed a blood transfusion otherwise.

I'm having a hard time understanding the 4lb brick analogy for two reasons:

That brick wouldn't have protected us from the elements
We hiked from Katahdin to SpringerAll kidding aside, IMO, 4lbs isn't that heavy for a solid shelter. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Coralrives, I am glad you found a shelter you are happy with. Good luck on your thru!

The Solemates
10-20-2006, 12:11

I understand your logic, and agree, especially for use on the AT. I have, however, been winter camping several times when I wished (to the point of survival) that I had a more apt, free-standing tent.

Programbo
10-25-2006, 21:55

I will second this request..I sold backpacking equipment for a living for 11 years and can`t think of anything weighing 2 pounds I`d consider as functional as a larger free standing 4 pound tent....Maybe some of the one man micro tents might be that light..But if you wish to actually comfortably live in the thing a day or two and be able to move around and sit up etc......I`d rather just get a pack that allowed me to carry weight so it actually felt lighter and conserved my energy more or just get in better shape to carry what will allow me to live comfortably on the trail then not have what I need or have to live like a hobo because either I or my pack can`t handle the weight.Or because I have the need to race up the trail racking up 30 mile days so I levae half the stuff I`ll need at home...So carry that 4 pound tent!..It`ll be worth it..Especially in 2007 when there are 65 people crowded around the shelter areas and you want to wander off to a more private local

peanuts
10-25-2006, 23:51
AMEN for HAMMOCKS! :)

namehere
10-26-2006, 00:07
arrrgggghhh!! i'm suffering the same info-overload coral had before. i want that 2 lb 'bombproof' tent that is roomy, useable in hot and cold weather, smallish footprint, easy to set up, and possibly freestanding. are the hilleberg tents a bad idea for an AT thru? which of henry's tarptents is considered the most stable? i fear the idea that my tent will fail me in high-wind/snowy/rainy conditions. if you had to choose one and only one tent that you had to use for the next three seasons of hiking, which would you choose? (under all conditions, under 4 lbs). (sorry, these questions come from me being a newbie)

Panzer1
10-26-2006, 00:08
If a ton weights 2000 pounds and there is about 2000 miles to katahdin then carrying 1 pound to katahdin is like carrying a ton 1 mile.

So the impact on your body of carrying a 6 pound tent to katahdin is like carrying a 6 ton tent one mile.

You don't need a 6 ton tent.

Panzer

Heater
10-26-2006, 03:30
i want that 2 lb 'bombproof' tent that is roomy, useable in hot and cold weather, smallish footprint, easy to set up, and possibly freestanding. are the hilleberg tents a bad idea for an AT thru?

I really like the looks of the Hilleburg Unna but its over 4 lbs. The Rainbow is of a comparable size but not as "bombproof" or as warm as the Unna would be.

Lotsa good words on the Akto too but I am too claustrophobiac for that.

Thor
10-26-2006, 09:48
I carried my 4lb 10oz Kelty Teton 2 the entire way and wouldn't have traded it for the world, even if the world was lighter.

Granted, being of above-average size, I don't actually FIT in smaller, lighter, tents, so I didn't have a whole lot of choice. As anyone who hiked with me this year will attest, my view on weight issues is a bit skewed anyway. I lost a lot more weight than my pack weighed, so I tended to think of it as "I put my pack on and weight thirty pounds lighter!"

joedannajr
10-26-2006, 17:08
Heavy is on the back of the beholder. I want room in my tent so I can move about confortably and have my backpack in with me and out of the elements. So NO it's not too heavy.