PDA

View Full Version : 0 degree bag or double bagging?

copythat
10-17-2006, 14:43
lots of talk about 20 degree bags, but i want to be able to overnight along conn and mass stretches of the a.t. this winter and i sleep cold and it gets into the teens and lower and i don't want to be held back by the weather and the lowest i've got is a 30 degree mountainsmith ...

so do i buy a bulky 0 degree bag, or would i get the same effect from my mountainsmith 30 with my kelty 45 shoved inside? worried about compressing the down and losing loft, but it would still weigh about 10 ounces less than the 0 degrees i can afford.

oh, i get so confused.

The Solemates
10-17-2006, 14:45
buy two bags. you will find it is much easier in the long run.

scope
10-18-2006, 12:35
I use two bags, 50 & 20 degree syn bags. I use the summer bag as the outside layer, but I believe you would do better using the down Kelty as your interior bag. I believe that this setup is better than a 0 degree bag, but can't say for sure not having a 0 bag to compare to. I would not be concerned with loft unless the 20 bag is smaller than the Kelty. Larger bag should be on the outside. If they're about the same then I believe it would be better to have the down next to you, but you might switch up some nights to see if that's true.

fiddlehead
10-20-2006, 20:13
you say you sleep cold and are going hiking in new england in the winter time. I would take a minus something bag. i sleep cold and loved my 0 deg. at the gathering when it was in the 20s.
I wouldn't mess around with 2 summer bags for winter new england hiking.
I'd buy a 0 or -5 or -10 deg. bag because you are probably going to be spending a lot of time in it. have fun.

LIhikers
10-23-2006, 15:56
As the fall night time temperatures get colder give your 2 bag idea a try. By the time winter gets here you'll know if the idea works before you get into a critical situation. I'd be interested to hear how the 2 bag idea works out as my wife is considering a zero degree bag.