PDA

View Full Version : winter hiking

josh litt
10-17-2006, 16:06
As a college student I don't have an opportunity to choose when i hike. So for my winter break, I will be attempting to solo the virginia part of the trail... I know the dangers of going solo but what i want to know are what are the dangers of doing it in the winter. It doesn't seem to be a popular time to hike the trail, but i love winter camping and its the only time I have.

-Josh

jlb2012
10-17-2006, 16:13
solo in the winter or other hypothermia possible weather always has the possibility that one may get hypo and not realize it whereas with a group each can watch out for the other getting the umbles and help the hypo person to make good decisions / get warm

Wolf - 23000
10-17-2006, 16:34
I've done the state of VA several times in the winter solo. Yes there is a danger of hypothermia if you really don't know what your doing. Cold rain at 33 can be a problem but if you know what your doing it not much of one. The biggist problem is closing of stores or hostel for the winter. Some stores down completely shut down for the winter. WF book tell you which ones but just be warn.

Wolf

josh litt
10-17-2006, 17:39
I have done some nols moutaineering courses and am in great shape. To me the idea of backpacking with a 40 lb back is a luxury rather than lugging around all my moutaineering gear. WIll i need to bring snowshoes? im so new to the AT that i dont know much about it. I know of the dangers like hypothermia, and frostbite, im just curious does hiking the at alone put me at risk for some unknown problems.

hammock engineer
10-17-2006, 17:50
One thing to think about to is the amount of daylight. It is going to get light around 7 or 8 am and get dark around 5 or 6pm. I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of night hiking in the cold.

Ramble~On
10-17-2006, 18:17
Josh,
You mention that you love winter camping so I'd guess you have some experience. There's a lot of trail in Virginia and I don't know how much time you have to hike but as mentioned above in winter the days are shorter.
I enjoy solo winter hiking and camping and have found that there are a lot of other people who don't mind the cold...I doubt you'll be alone.
Are you planning to hike all of Virginia ?
How long is your break ?

josh litt
10-17-2006, 19:11
I plan to hike all of it, i think i will have about 33 days to complete the 550 mile journey... it comes out to about 16 a day which isnt too bad im just worried about the days that im gonna need to get resupplied . Im probably gonna need to get resupplied every week so that means 3 resupplies which will probably kill my distance. I figure ill get 30 days of good hiking in. I dont stop for lunch and I eat breakfast in the dark. That should leave me with enough daylight to set up camp and get a meal in the twilight.

bigcranky
10-17-2006, 19:22
I love hiking in the winter, and in Virginia and Tennessee in particular. I suppose you'll have about 4 weeks for this trek? Here are some things that I would think about before such a trip:

1. Daylight. Not much of it. It'll be dark by 5 or 5:30, and light enough to hike by around 8am. This limits how many hours one can hike during the day. Also, once the sun goes down it gets...

2. Cold. December is cold in Virginia. Not cold like Alaska, maybe, but still pretty cold. I've gotten everything from single-digits at night, to 33-F and raining, to mid-50's and sunny. The freezing rain is the worst, because everything gets soaked and it's hard to dry out. Generally speaking, I figure on upper teens at night and mid-30s during the day, but it can vary a lot.

3. Hunting. Wear some blaze orange, for there will be many hunters out near the trail. It's rifle season for deer, among other things.

Other than that, if you have some good winter experience, have fun. Be very careful about getting wet, and make sure you eat enough, and bring extra headlamp batteries and something to read.

Just a Hiker
10-17-2006, 19:34
Josh, I have spent most of the past 2 winters on the AT, and my insight is that unless Virginia gets some huge freak snow storm, you'll be just fine and won't need a bunch of extra stuff. Like the others have said, you'll need to watch your daylight and watch for those 30 and 40 degree rainy days. Also bring a book or radio because you will have some long dark nights in your sleeping bag. Other than that....have fun and have a good hike. Take care, Just Jim

1happyhiker
10-18-2006, 00:27
Cant specifically say what its like in Va in winter, ive been there for a brief visit and it sleeted, a lot.

being in great shape is well and good, great but ive seen guys in was in the army with go down faster than others. i finally found there is an advantage of a little extra poundage, lol. how good is your equipment? bag rated for cold weather? tent/footprint in good shape? prepared to pack some extra clothing and the associated weight?

layer and be smart about it. good brands that work, a must is a water repellent or waterproof jacket with larger vents, large zip pulls, elastic around head and cuffs. gloves, hat, etc.

90% of my hiking is alone, being aware is key. ive been hiking the ozarks and the ouachitas for a long time, in winter and summer. being aware of your surrounds, multiply that by 50% and your close. when you add icy moss covered rocks or stream crossings that are 30* water... im not sure what level hiker you are but i would suggest some warm up hikes alone or with a buddy is fine. ill say one thing, the woods are more dark and more quiet in the winter when your alone. if your secure with solitude you will be fine.

this one may sounds silly. tree limbs that are 10' off the ground or lower CAN come down and ruin your day. i got a call in jan two years ago to sar for a guy. he had hung some clothes on a limb to air out and when he pulled the rope the icy limb broke, broke his leg in two places. in jan and in the ozarks.

being smarter than the average bear will go a long way if your mentally prepared for cold weather hikes.

-hh

josh litt
10-18-2006, 03:27
IM usally not a scared individual but im sure its going to take some a while getting use to be alone in the dark during winter... thats why i want to wear my self out during the hike so i can just pass out in my bag.. In terms of gear i have a zero degree bag and all the top notch gear.... Its just there is so much more thought and preparation that has to go into a trip like this sinceit is solo and it is in the dead of winter i was hoping that i could discuss these things with an individual who has done these things so i can pick their brain a bit. I appreciate all the advice everyone has given thus far and have clued me in on some things i wasn't prepared for. -josh

wilderness bob
10-18-2006, 08:05
A series of suggestions:

Use the acronym COLD, C-stay clean, O-don't over-heat, L-dress in layers and D-stay dry. Hard to do when hiking with a winter back-pack, that is for sure. Be sure to stay hydrated and, be prepared to sleep with your water (choose a good water tight bottle). Also choose a good layer system of clothing, shed off when you walk and add on when you stop. Sleep in dry clothing and with your hiking clothes inside of your sleeping bag. Tuck your boots under your knees at night (outside of your bag and on top of your insulated ground pad with the soles facing outward). This will help keep them both from freezing and may be a bit warmer to put on in the morning.

Finally: 16 miles a day is doable but, why? Just to say you did the entire state? Noteworthy indeed however, I have learned that a tight schedule puts a damper on a hike. Choose two or three closer ending points. This way you are not pushing yourself. The trail may not let you do big miles and the fact is, 16 a day in bad weather is big no matter what state you are in (or what time of year you hike it). Choosing closer end points give you the freedom to take a few zero days, rest and recover, stop in to town to get warm and, enjoy the pulse of the trail. After all it isn't just the miles done, it's the hike itself. Good luck and enjoy.

MOWGLI
10-18-2006, 08:11
I plan to hike all of it, i think i will have about 33 days to complete the 550 mile journey...

If you're young and strong - piece of cake! I did it in 33 days when I was 38 and not in the best shape. Have fun! I suggest you leave an itinerary with someone, so that your friends or family have some basic understanding where you'll be - within a a couple of days.

Johnny Swank
10-18-2006, 09:22
I'm not sure about this, but I'm guessing most/all of the waysides in Shenedoahs would be closed. Just make sure you have a good supply to make it all the way though to Front Royal from Waynesboro and you're good.

Alot of those things were closing down when I went through in early November in 2000. I'd hiked it before during the summer around 1994 and really enjoyed being able to wash clothes/shower and grab a burger almost daily if I wanted to.

Don't dismiss the Highlands around Mt Rogers either. Every year hikers have to be pulled out of there because they weren't prepared for the weather.

vipahman
10-18-2006, 10:28
As a college student I don't have an opportunity to choose when i hike. So for my winter break, I will be attempting to solo the virginia part of the trail... I know the dangers of going solo but what i want to know are what are the dangers of doing it in the winter. It doesn't seem to be a popular time to hike the trail, but i love winter camping and its the only time I have.
Winter is beautiful. No bugs. Few hikers. Do a winter day trip first and find your level of comfort, gear requirements, etc. Progress to an overnighter and before you know it, you will have amassed all the skills needed for a winter section hike. Keep

vipahman
Winter is beautiful. No bugs. Few hikers. Do a winter day trip first and find your level of comfort, gear requirements, etc. Progress to an overnighter and before you know it, you will have amassed all the skills needed for a winter section hike. Keep in mind that snow on the ground

vipahman
Winter is beautiful. No bugs. Few hikers. Do a winter day trip first and find your level of comfort, gear requirements, etc. Progress to an overnighter and before you know it, you will have amassed all the skills needed for a winter section hike. Keep in mind that snow on the ground in excess

vipahman
10-18-2006, 10:30
Winter is beautiful. No bugs. Few hikers. Do a winter day trip first and find your level of comfort, gear requirements, etc. Progress to an overnighter and before you know it, you will have amassed all the skills needed for a winter section hike. Keep in mind that snow on the ground in excess of 6" can reduce your daily distance dramatically. But that should not be an issue in VA. I'd be more concerned about spills on ice.

Long feet
10-18-2006, 13:56
I have been wanting to do some winter hiking as well. Speaking of ice, but not to steal your thread just to add to it, has anyone used those yaktrak things for ice? I'm from California, and the only ice I know is in the refigerator.

1happyhiker
10-18-2006, 15:18
the yaktrax are interesting idea based on a crampon. the stuff that ive done in colorado, you needed a the spikes. on the AT, the higher elevation stuff would be my guess, heard people talk about using them in Tn. to be honest i dont know how well the yax would work.

for 25$ for a pair im thinking of ordering them, at least see if the 14+ size stretches to fit my 15 boot. what im thinking is if you an aggressive hiker and the rubber or what ever the "stretchy" part is, if that blows out you sol. in the ice, rain, cold...seems like a bad time for a trail fix.

seems the main factors would be $25 vs $125, plastic vs steel, not sure on weights but 5.5 oz (yax) would be around 155 grams give or take vs crampon 190 oz. to me its not much weight to give up for the durability of real crampons. just my .02

-hh

Alligator
10-18-2006, 15:28
I think you are a bit on the optimistic side mileagewise considering you plan on a full winter pack (40+ lbs) and carrying a week's worth of food. Also, do you have any winter backpacking experience?

the_iceman
10-18-2006, 19:33
I live and hike in new England and the CT - > MA section through Sage's Ravine in early March and there was a lot of ice. I only wished I had a pair of Yaktraks because the people that did swore by them. Meanwile I took a spill and got a nice cut to the knee. The are light and grip well. I am thinking of getting a pair if I start my thru early.

iceman

josh litt
10-18-2006, 20:10
yeah winter moutaineering experience with 70 lbs bags and thats without rope, in snowshoes breaking trail.... so im confident in my endurance just unsure of the treail itself.... this would be my first time on the trail. I have no experience about caches or where to mail them or even how to pick them up. I was going to get a appalachian trail guide book that comes in a plastic bag with some maps but wwanted to hold off first to see what everyone else on the board thought of those. What would be a good book for a beginner to read and get use to trail?

Alligator
10-18-2006, 21:51
On the home page on the left side is a section called Appalachian Trail Articles. There's a whole section on AT resupply. That ought to get you started. It covers resupplying and mail drops.

If you have winter experience making/breaking camp, getting water and keeping it from freezing, cooking, and keeping your body fueled, the rest is just walking. I'd say the dangers are less severe than what you are used to but similar such as hypothermia, becoming incapacitated, maybe a whiteout. You might get lost, but that's hard to do. I haven't run into much snow in VA. Something to handle a little bit of ice would be good, either Yaktrax or a real light pair of crampons (4 or 6 pt.) It would be very rare that you would need crampons.

I strongly recommend the maps in case you need to bail. I buy the sets with the guidebooks because they are only a couple of extra bucks.

bigcranky
10-19-2006, 07:45
The maps are good, but the guidebook(s) that come with the maps have way too much of the wrong details. They make a nice read for the history and geology of a particular section, and they give the trail data in excruciating detail, but there's not much in the way of 'big picture' items that a long distance hiker needs. Find the ALDHA Companion book, or download the pages you need from the ALDHA web site. The companion has all the info you need on trail towns, resupply options, and post offices, along with some useful trail data and history. Along with the Companion, find the ATC Data Book, which provides mile-by-mile trail data, including water, shelters, road crossings, etc.

fiddlehead
10-19-2006, 08:57
I did the AT southbound in the winter of 2001/2002. we were supported with a van though. The trail in VA was beautiful: no trees, no people, many things closed, very quiet, no snow except a few inches here and there, no problems finding the route, etc.
The only problem i forsee is boredom during the long nights. Take a book, and maybe extra batteries. Yes, things are closed, even the Skyline drive was closed during bear season. That made for very easy walking along the road a few times. Hotels are closed, parks are closed, hostels are closed. It's about as true a "wilderness experience" you can find on the AT
As for the crampon type things, we just carried pan head sheet metal screws along and had predrilled holes in our running shoes to screw them into. Didn't need them in Va though. We spent new years eve in Lynchburg Va so that should tell you about when we were there (southbounded and did it fast ending at springer on feb 10.) Have fun