PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report: Norland Creek to Smokemont

generoll
10-17-2006, 18:09
For those who may be interested, I just finished this section and thought I'd post my impressions.

Day 1 was from the Norland Creek junction to campsite 61. This part of the trail is a walkers dream and kinda lulled my daughter and I into thinking that the whole thing would be as easy. It starts out about 1/4 mile towards town from the tunnel and crossed under the road and for about 1/2 the distance is a nice constant grade wide enough for the family sedan and has bridges to match. We met one trout fisherman who seemed very happy about the fishing there and was going back for seconds. Campsites #64 and #62 both have picnic tables and would be my choice if I ever do this section again. #61 is a rationed site because it is small. Nothing special about it other then being too small for large numbers of campers.

Day 2 from #61 to #52. Rocks, roots, and rain. All nicely coated with multihued freshly fallen leaves. Campsite #57 had picnic tables. When we got to the trail junction with Sunkota Ridge Trail from 57 my fast hiking daughter who did the 10 miles from Phantom Ranch to the south rim of the Grand Canyon in 4 hours took one look at the map and then said, "so that was only 1.5 miles!" Sunkota Ridge is a generally pleasant hiking trail and you only gain about 1500 feet in the stated 4.9 miles to #52. The water at #52 is a small pool about .1 mile down a steep trail off the campground which is on a ridge. Also known as Newton Bald, but if there is a bald there it was well hidden in the fog and rain.

Day 3 was 5.2 miles down Newton Bald trail to Smokemont. A fairly constant descent which I'd rather go down then up. #52 is posted at 5000 ft. and Smokemont appears to be at around 2200 ft.

When we got to Smokemont the barrier was up preventing automobile traffic north to Newfound Gap. Apparently the storms had caused numerous blowdowns and the trails were like hiking stream beds. It's hard to give an accurate appraisal of the trail since the weather made life generally miserable. I had plannned on going on to Davenport Gap alone on a different permit, but canceled those plans for a variety of reasons. When I got home I had a message on my answering machine asking me to reschedule my hike due to weather and trail conditions.

enjoy, HYOH, etc.

Skidsteer
10-17-2006, 18:23
White rabbit had a similar report (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18179)from the Rangers.

Thanks for the trip report Gene.

Ewker
10-17-2006, 19:51
I enjoy reading your trips reports. I haven't been in that section of the Smokies yet.