PDA

View Full Version : Expander panels for sleeping bags

saimyoji
10-17-2006, 20:18
Does anyone have experience with adding expander panels to widen the bag? I got what I thought was a great deal on a MH X-country PG3D bag a while back, and am finding that I could use a little more shoulder room, so I'm looking at the expander panel which adds about 8-9 inches.

Campmor has the NF expander at $25 as opposed to the MH which goes for $50 from REI. The zipper is the same (YKK#8), but length is slightly different.

Will the NF expander be compatible with my MH bag? Anyone have direct experience? Anyone work in an outfitter and could test it for me?

Thanks.

Just Jeff
10-17-2006, 20:46
I can't tell you about those products specifically, but I've used a similar setup where the zipper lengths didn't quite match. One side just stuck out a bit further than the other one, but it didn't affect function at all...the slider stops at end of the shortest zipper anyway.

If it's an issue, you could always add a zipper stop, then cut off the excess fabric/zipper and put a simple seam in the end. Depends on what that $25 is worth to you, I guess.

But hopefully someone on here will be able to test those exact products for you.

hikerjohnd
10-17-2006, 21:04
Wish I had seen these before... I might have kept my NF bag with a few extra inches in the shoulder.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-17-2006, 22:41
The NF adds 9" to the girth of the bag - here's a pic: http://www.campmor.com/images/sleeping/larger/47617_l.jpg

Just Jeff
10-17-2006, 22:53
It adds width. It doesn't add length. Unless you're talking about a different product.

saimyoji
10-17-2006, 23:05
I think Boston means that it adds room "up" above you as you lay down, rather than to the sides. If this is the case, since the bag is circular, its all the same thing. It adds room where you need it: up, or to the side.

hikerjohnd
10-17-2006, 23:25
Just thinking about how these expaneder would work, I don't think they would give you much more shoulder room...I think they are primarily deisgned for "big-boned" people so as to give a bit more height to the bag, rather than width..

Think about it..all the expander does is add a few inches between the current zipper..so the bag gets "taller" rather than "wider"..get it?

Right - and for those of us who roll around at night, a few more inches of girth in the bag makes a big difference.

saimyoji
10-21-2006, 11:41
bump. Still hoping someone can answer my original question: Will TNF expander panel work with my MH X-Country?

Just Jeff
10-21-2006, 15:23
Sounds like you may just have to buy it and return it if it doesn't work. Unless someone here has one they'd be willing to lend you for a try-out.

hopefulhiker
10-22-2006, 06:12
The feathered friends site has a good article on the importance of girth in a sleeping bag. They say that you should be able to put your arms straight out while holding your elbows to your chest...

Toolshed
10-22-2006, 20:09
Campmor has the NF expander at $25 as opposed to the MH which goes for $50 from REI. The zipper is the same (YKK#8), but length is slightly different.

Will the NF expander be compatible with my MH bag? Anyone have direct experience? Anyone work in an outfitter and could test it for me?

Thanks.

Saimjoya, I stopped at Campmor a few months ago on my way home from work and posed that same question with my EMS bag (brought along) and a YKK #8 Zipper.
The Campmor staff said it wouldn't work because even though EMS used a YKK#8, the zipper is in reverse from the NF and Campmor bags, meaning the panel would be have to be zipped on inside out, but still wouldn't zip because now the zipper teeth are now facing the wrong way.
I ended up trying it myself with my bag because I was sure I knew a thing or 2 more than the guy who helped. me (mea culpa). He was right on the money. So I would place a call right to Campmor and ask them specifically. They will know!!!

saimyoji
10-22-2006, 20:25
So I would place a call right to Campmor and ask them specifically. They will know!!!

Great idea. I did this before posting my original question here. The answer: No one had ever asked that kind of question before, so no one at the store knew the answer; I should just go ahead and order it, if it doens't work just send it back.

I read your experience on a different thread, noting that your's is an EMS bag, I was hopeful that my MH would be okay. I'm still waiting for someone who's tried this with a MH bag. I've tried contacting both TNF and MH directly, neither would give me a straight response. I will be going to NY in about 5 weeks, but I'd like the expander for a trip before then. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and order it, return it when (I mean if :rolleyes: ) it doesn't work.

saimyoji
10-24-2006, 20:09
Okay. I called campmor customer service and asked for the sleeping bag experts. Then I asked if they would be compatible. Guess what they did? They went and opened one each of TNF expander and my MH bag, and put them together. Was that great or what?!?!:p

So I ordered it. Now, hopefully, and this is the cynic in me, they weren't just putting me on, and it will actually work. I should know by Friday for Saturday hike.

Johnny Swank
10-24-2006, 21:51
On a related note, my sweetie and I use a Sweetie Pie Coupler all the time (bought it at the REI yardsale for $10!) It's a synthetic version, and I'd prefer down, but that thing gets scads of use each year. Great product.

saimyoji
10-26-2006, 17:50
Okay, good news. THe expander panel came today, fits briliantly. Its a little short at the top, but I'm very happy with it. I'll be testing it out tonight, along with "double bagging" it with my other 40* bag. Temps should be mid 30s tonite. Hope it all works out.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13605&c=701

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13604&c=701

Toolshed
10-26-2006, 19:28
Saimyoji,
Glad it worked out right!!
Rick

saimyoji
10-27-2006, 07:53
Thanks Toolshed.

I camped out last night in my 3-season Eureka Timberlite2. Temps dropped a little lower than I had expected: it got down to about 28 outside, but stayed a balmy 35-40 inside my tent. I was snug inside my newly expanded MH X-country PG3D bag, wrapped in a Thermolite Extreme 40* bag. I only had on my thermals and a light fleece top, could have used a pair of socks to start, but I get claustrophobic sleeping with head/foot-wear on. I fell asleep listening to George Noory :eek: , and woke up to condensation dripping down on me, :o even though I had opened the vents somewhat.

So all is well with my sleeping bag. Thanks for caring, you can get back to your regularly scheduled lives now.

For people who search on this topic in the future: TNF expander panel is compatible with MH X-country sleeping bags.

Toolshed
10-29-2006, 15:44
Hey Saimyoji -
I used a Timberlite from 1991 to 2001 before I sold it. I loved that littel tent. I always wished I had bought another one (used to get pro-deals years ago).
I was out last night with my clip flashlight and stayed at Nelson Overlook by Kirridge shelter. What a wicked night. the 50 MPH gusts kept me up all night long. I finally packed it in around 4 AM and headed back tot he car because I couldn't take the constant flapping and cotinual near collapse of the tent.
It was cold out, but I was very warm. Just incredibly windy and rainy.

saimyoji
10-29-2006, 15:58
Hey Saimyoji -
I used a Timberlite from 1991 to 2001 before I sold it. I loved that littel tent. I always wished I had bought another one (used to get pro-deals years ago).
I was out last night with my clip flashlight and stayed at Nelson Overlook by Kirridge shelter. What a wicked night. the 50 MPH gusts kept me up all night long. I finally packed it in around 4 AM and headed back tot he car because I couldn't take the constant flapping and cotinual near collapse of the tent.
It was cold out, but I was very warm. Just incredibly windy and rainy.

I was out on Friday night just south of Bake Oven Knob and was pummelled by the wind and rain. I found out the hard wa my fly had delaminated in some spots, as well as some spots in the floor of the tent. As a result the fly sagged and seaped onto the upper portion of the tent, soaking through, and water came in through the floor also. I had puddles inside my tent. I was safe above the water on my Thermarest (full length, wide) so my bag didn't get soaked and I slept comfortably. Not too cold, no lower than 35 or so inside. Fortunately I garbage bag everything, so none of my gear got too wet. Now I have to make a decision to re-waterproof the tent, or buy a new one. I have a bottle of tent sealant, but its gonna be a big job. I may just make a hammock.... :-?

But that would mean turning to the dark side. :eek:

Toolshed
10-29-2006, 21:20
Hammock Shammock. I don't think I would like one (sorry Neo).
Having owned a number of Eureka products over the years, I would say forget the bottle of seal, write the tent off and get a new one. It is probably hard to let it go, but I did mine as well. It was getting old and having a few problems.

Pummeled is exactly the word. I don't recall being in that kind of punishing wind in a long long time, if ever. Especially on an open unprotected ridge. I had thought about setting up in a more protected spot near the woods, but with the fallen limbs and such, I didn't want to take a risk.
My Buddy was flying (Pilot) and said the gusts were just over 50 out of ABE last night. With constant winds 25-35 knots - So the tent can take it - But can I???