PDA

View Full Version : Cant miss spots in VA, NC, SC, TN

1happyhiker
10-18-2006, 00:09
im in the triad but im not afraid to drive to see things/hike. so what are the end all to be all's of the surrounding areas. ive been going to the smokies since i was a kid, kinda my "cave" if you will. ive done the whole cade's, gburg and that thing. ive been driving around as much as i can, new to work, area, etc. watching the leaves turn around here.

so what spots do i put on my say top 10 list of things to see in the next 6 mos. they dont have to be hiking specific but thats always a plus. things within a 5-6 hour drive of the triad is a good start.

post away, stories, pics, etc.

thx

-hh

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-18-2006, 01:02
Grayson Highlands State Park in VA (http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/graysonh.htm) - wild ponies, near the AT and Mt Rogers, has a waterfall hike. Combine with 18 mile bike ride down to Damascus (http://www.adventuredamascus.com/Bike.htm).

Hammock Beach State Park, NC (http://ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/habe/home.html) - primitive camping right on the beach. This is a wildlife preserve so special rules apply (the only one you need to know ahead of time is to bring a red covering for lantern or flashlight). A loggerhead sea turtle nested maybe 30 ft from my tent last time I was there. If you canoe or kayak, there are water trails just for this activity. Fantastic wildlife.

Gaiter
10-18-2006, 01:33
also roan mtn/ carvers gap to 19e going over jane bald, round bald, stay at overmountain shelter, then little hump mtn, hump mtn (also balds) and watch out for the longhorns on the houston ridge. see my website below for pics and longhorn story. and if you can stay one more night, or stay there a night when you go up, stay at mountain harbor b&b/hostel, you can park your car and they will shuttle you up to carvers gap.

hanna

Furlough
10-18-2006, 03:06
Even though it is off of the AT, Old Rag still remains one of my favorite day hikes in Viriginia. http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Old_Rag_Mt_0000.asp
Just try to go during the week not on a week end. This trail gets a lot of traffic. If you like waterfalls another favorite of mine (and in the same basic area as Old Rag) is the White Oak Canyon Cedar Run Loop. http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/WhiteOakCanyon_CedarRun_0000.asp

Furlough

Kerosene
10-18-2006, 09:43
The AT around Roanoke provides easy access to Dragon's Tooth (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=1751&c=665&userid=3) and McAfee Knob (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=1930&c=665&userid=3). Tinkers Cliffs (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=1748&c=665&userid=3) is a long day hike from Daleville, with views to Catawba Mountain.

Blissful
10-18-2006, 11:18
Do something different. Backpack in and camp by the ocean at False Cape State Park, VA.

The Solemates
10-18-2006, 11:46
for the best of SC: do the foothills trail
for the best of TN: hike the AT through it
for the best of NC: spend some time at the outerbanks
for the best of VA: do a bunch of different loop hikes in SW VA

neo
10-18-2006, 11:56
:) hobbs cabin at savage gulf in tn.:cool: neo

http://www.friendsofscsra.org/hiking.htm

BlackCloud
10-18-2006, 12:13
McAfee's Knob is the single greatest spot in the state of VA.

As for NC, the Blue Ridge Pkwy is just phenominal, with it's pleasant driving, endless overlooks, and countless short hikes - an oh - you can visit Mt. Mitchell too, which is super cool (anytime of year)

1happyhiker
10-18-2006, 15:31
thx to everyone for the replies. i try to hike at least twice a month, even thru the cold months. i dont get much time off so i try to maximize it and have some type direction.

also, i hear so many different takes on the weather here. in general what has it been like in this area? one of my 80 y/o patients said this area is due for a big snow storm. i tend to believe him over paid meteorologist.

thx again for the help.

-hh

Blissful
10-18-2006, 22:51
thx to everyone for the replies. i try to hike at least twice a month, even thru the cold months. i dont get much time off so i try to maximize it and have some type direction.

also, i hear so many different takes on the weather here. in general what has it been like in this area? one of my 80 y/o patients said this area is due for a big snow storm. i tend to believe him over paid meteorologist.

thx again for the help.

-hh

True we are due for a big snow in VA but the forecasts were calling for a mild winter. Wetter on the coast but not as much precipitation inland.

VA is known to have its cold and warm spells. I've seen it fifties for Christmas. I've seen six inch snow falls that melt in a day. I've also seen some bad sleet storms. Rarely does it dip to zero. Maybe we get one cold blast like that a season where it drops to single digits. Most days are at least above freezing. But honestly, there is no way to predict it.

Best bet is to plan and see what happens. We did a tour of the Civil War sites in VA last Feb - it was chilly, in the forties but the weather was fine (just a little rain).

1happyhiker
10-19-2006, 01:14
that is what they are saying here as well. im a little torn, i signed a contract on a home today. a lot of me hopes for 80s thru march so they can bust a move and get it built. a little of me would like to see a little of the white stuff. they should get concrete poured in the next week and a half. dunno, first home jitters. thanks for the info, really want to get out and explore the east cost more than i have.

-hh

Gaiter
10-19-2006, 02:13
old farmers almanac says that it will be a bad winter.

Lone Wolf
10-19-2006, 05:45
Me and Belew are doing an overnighter/loop in Mt. Rogers/Grayson this Saturday. Anybody wanna come? Gonna park at Elk Garden and go from there.

Belew
10-19-2006, 07:08
It'll be great to get back to the Highlands Wolf. One food purchase, 2 days of work, a live show and I'll be ready!

1happyhiker,

There are some good places very close to the Triad to hike when you can only get out for the day. Last weekend I made it to Stone Mountain on Saturday and Hanging Rock State Park on Sunday. Stone Mountain is around a hour drive and Hanging rock even less.

Furlough
10-19-2006, 07:15
Me and Belew are doing an overnighter/loop in Mt. Rogers/Grayson this Saturday. Anybody wanna come? Gonna park at Elk Garden and go from there.
Hey LW,
Make that offer in July or August of 07 after I get back from Iraq and I'll take you up on it. Have a good hike.

Furlough

1happyhiker
10-19-2006, 20:49

sry, thx for the offer. going to linville gorge on sat/sun. feel free to pm me any time if there's a trip.

-hh

Lone Wolf
10-19-2006, 21:31
sry, thx for the offer. going to linville gorge on sat/sun. feel free to pm me any time if there's a trip.

-hh

will do. most certainly.

Lone Wolf
10-19-2006, 21:35
Hey LW,
Make that offer in July or August of 07 after I get back from Iraq and I'll take you up on it. Have a good hike.

Furlough

We'll make a point to get with you next August. Stay safe, watch your ass, your brothers asses, and get home. God bless.

1happyhiker
10-20-2006, 00:01
Hey LW,

Furlough

what branch? i was army from (92-04), spent time in iraq and afghanistan. keep your head down and come home safe. brews are on me when you get back.

-hh

trlhiker
10-22-2006, 13:00
Off of route 56 in Va there's Crabtree Falls, from there you can hike all the way up to The Priest. Spyrock is an awesome 360 view near this area. Where the AT crosses 56 there is a swinging bridge across the Tye river. You can hike up to the Priest from here, 3000ft gain in 5 miles. Where Route 664 crosses the Blue Ridge Parkway there is Reeds Gap, the AT crosses here and you can hike south up to the top of Three Ridges.

RockyTrail
10-22-2006, 15:16

thx again for the help.

-hh

HH:
I lived for many years in Guilford County, the most I ever saw was a whopper 13" snowfall in about 1978(?). Usually it only snowed about 3-4 times a year, maybe 1"-3" deep, lasting only 2-3 days at most before melting. Not a big deal, just enough to have fun with snow...enjoy!
regards,
Rocky

Furlough
10-23-2006, 03:26
HH,
Army - 21 years and counting. Hope to retire summer/fall of 08. Brews appreciated and always accepted. I'll buy the second round.

LW - thanks for the sentiments, and good hiking to you.

Furlough

Settlers Museum
05-11-2008, 16:08
Although, I'm biased, for stops in Southwest Virginia, The Settlers Museum of Southwest Virginia is great. We are located right next to the A.T.
Nature and history tied together....does it get any better!?
Stop by and see us!
Dylan
Director,
Settlers Museum of Southwest Virginia
www.settlersmuseum.com

Tennessee Viking
05-12-2008, 01:13
im in the triad but im not afraid to drive to see things/hike. so what are the end all to be all's of the surrounding areas. ive been going to the smokies since i was a kid, kinda my "cave" if you will. ive done the whole cade's, gburg and that thing. ive been driving around as much as i can, new to work, area, etc. watching the leaves turn around here.

so what spots do i put on my say top 10 list of things to see in the next 6 mos. they dont have to be hiking specific but thats always a plus. things within a 5-6 hour drive of the triad is a good start.

post away, stories, pics, etc.

thx

-hh
AT-wise:
McAfee
Graysons
Laurel Fork (on and off AT)
Roan Highlands
Unaka/Beauty Spot (+ nearby forest trails)
Big Bald
Camp Creek/Bald Mtn trek
Max Patch

TN
Cumberland Trail
Cumberland Gap Park
Falls Creek Falls Park
Cherohola Skyway

NC
BRP
MST from Linville Gorge to Beacon Heights (waterfall/creekside heaven)
Cold Mountain
Craggy & Mt Mitchell
Pilot Mtn
Mt Pisgah

SC
Foothills Trail
Caesars Head
Jones Gap
Table Rock

VA
Jefferson Forest Clinch District
Hanging Rock/Little Stoney Creek Gorge
High Knob (before the tower burnt down)

Lilred
05-12-2008, 09:03
One of my favorite areas so far is Carver's Gap to 19E. Hit the balds and the humps and the longhorn steers. Excellent hiking if the weather is good. Could be a ***ch if it's raining.

Settlers Museum
05-23-2008, 18:31
Did I mention the Museum is FREE to hikers! Just another great reason to stop by and visit. And don't forget to stop by the 1890's schoolhouse where we leave water and in-season fresh veggies! A great chance to learn a little history about the area you are hiking in.
Happy trails,
Dylan
Director

Blissful
05-27-2008, 14:07
Did I mention the Museum is FREE to hikers! Just another great reason to stop by and visit. And don't forget to stop by the 1890's schoolhouse where we leave water and in-season fresh veggies! A great chance to learn a little history about the area you are hiking in.
Happy trails,
Dylan
Director

Ditto on the Settler museum. Paul Bunyan and I had our own tour there last year (PB spent two hours there, actually, and saw everything). Great place, great people.

DavidNH
05-27-2008, 14:44
Given good weather you absolutely should NOT miss:

Clingman's Dome!!!! Unparallelled views

Paul's Bunion (not sure if name is write.. but the bunion has great views!)
Roan Highlands.. one of the highlights of southern states I think that Humback is the highest point here and is an exposed bald. 360 degree views
Grayson Highlands. Foggy when I went through... but seems like it would be real nice.

If you go nowwhere else.. Get to the top of Cligman's Dome with Sunny weather!

David