PDA

View Full Version : gigapower or pocket rocket?

copythat
10-18-2006, 13:08
any preferences?
stability?
durability?
performance?
esthetics? (tee hee)

Footslogger
10-18-2006, 13:13
Got em both and prefer the Giga, at least when I'm using cannister fuel.

Giga is smaller and lower to the ground, especially when you use the little Giga fuel cannisters.

They both get the job done so in the end it's all about personal preference.

'Slogger

Phreak
10-18-2006, 13:20
I agree with Footslogger,
I've owned both and would definitely choose the Giga Power over the Pocket Rocket.

Tudor
10-18-2006, 13:25
I had the same debate during March of this year. I went with the Giga, b/c of Snow Peaks reputation, and was I glad. It was small, light, had the auto igniter, didn't have to clean it after 1.5 months on trail, cooking at least 3 meals a day with it. Of course, I'd probably sing the praises of the Pocket Rocket if I had purchased it. :sun

John B
10-18-2006, 13:25
A rough estimate on how many minutes a small (3.88 net ounces) of Snowpeak fuel will last?

The MSR 8-ounce cannister says an average burn time of 1-2 hours. That's quite a variation.

Is it reasonable to assume the small Snowpeak cannister will have an average burn of 25-55 minutes?

Thanks for any info

Footslogger
10-18-2006, 13:30
A rough estimate on how many minutes a small (3.88 net ounces) of Snowpeak fuel will last?

The MSR 8-ounce cannister says an average burn time of 1-2 hours. That's quite a variation.

Is it reasonable to assume the small Snowpeak cannister will have an average burn of 25-55 minutes?

Thanks for any info
=========================================

Carried the Giga and small Giga cannisters on our section hike (Rangeley to Gorham) this past July. Boiled water for coffee in the morning and again for dinner. Probably a total of 10 minutes of total usage per day. I went 5 days on a single cannister so I guess that equates to about 50 minutes of burn time. I ran the stove about half wide open, if that makes any difference. After 5 days there was still a little fuel left in the cannister but we hit our re-supply box and decided to swap out cannisters at that point.

'Slogger

copythat
10-18-2006, 14:11
I had the same debate during March of this year. I went with the Giga, b/c of Snow Peaks reputation, and was I glad. It was small, light, had the auto igniter, didn't have to clean it after 1.5 months on trail, cooking at least 3 meals a day with it. Of course, I'd probably sing the praises of the Pocket Rocket if I had purchased it. :sun

i borrowed a primus stove (classic trail) and micron lamp, both with igniters that did not work.

does the snow peak igniter work well? is it worth the extra $10? (i think they say it's 0.6 oz.)

and does the automatic stove still fit in the 700 pot, like the manual does? (i want to be able to nest a fuel canister and the stove in the same pot.)

meantime ... thank you all for your votes and input.

John B
10-18-2006, 14:41
I have the Snowpeak titanium with the automatic lighter. I've found it to work well -- first time everytime. I liked the auto lighter because it gives me one less thing to lose/misplace.

The small cannister and the auto stove itself fits within the Snowpeak cookpot. I think it's the 700 series. That said, the Snowpeak website will also give this info.

The user "Chris" on Whiteblaze has something of a review of Snowpeak. You might do a search for his comments, too, although I believe that the Snowpeak was his choice.

Kerosene
10-18-2006, 15:07
I also have the Snow Peak GigaPower titanium with piezo ignition. It's worked the first time every time until my recent trip, when I left it near the entrance to the shelter on a drippy, foggy night. It worked fine the next day after drying out.

The GigaPower stove and 110g isobutane canister fits into the Snow Peak 700 pot if you turn the "handle" half-way (just remember to turn it off before you screw it onto the canister!).

As for burn time, a 110g canister lasts me 15-20 burns, with a burn consisting of bringing 2-3 cups of water to a boil under a moderate flame (it does make a difference in fuel usage) and minimal wind conditions. That would cover about 90 minutes the way I use it.

bulldog49
10-18-2006, 16:43

Thanks for any info

I've used both cannisters with my Giga and get a few more burns from the Snowpeak.

jasonklass
10-18-2006, 23:08
I've had both and would go with the Gigapower. Longer burn, lighter, and cooler!

Blissful
10-19-2006, 10:11
I have the pocket rocket. i dig it. It boils me water without shooting flames in my eyes and stuff.

I've gotten 21 days out of one 12oz red msr fuel canister. [12oz net weight, 8oz fuel wieght]

Is that just boiling water once a day for one person?

Wondering on consumption of the pocket rocket for three people in a liter and a half pot to boil water and cook stuff like Liptons, etc. We also have a cozy to use. We thought it would be better than alcohol when there's three of us. So far I like it a lot but just curious how long the canister will last us. (if we can make it to towns every five days)

chicote
10-19-2006, 10:29
With three of you, I bet it wouldn't hurt to carry two cannisters.

neo
10-19-2006, 10:31
:D jetboil rules:cool: neo

Blissful
10-19-2006, 19:45
With three of you, I bet it wouldn't hurt to carry two cannisters.

Yeah, I was thinking that too.

Thanks!

Trundle
10-20-2006, 08:13
I have a Primus Techno Trail and an MSR WindPro. I like the idea of a remote canister because of the lower center of gravity of the cook pot and better potential for using a windscreen.

In my opinion, the WindPro is a highly overlooked product.

My other stoves are alky burners.

saimyoji
10-20-2006, 23:44
Went on a short hike this afternoon. Took along my GP stove to make hot beverage if I wanted. It was windy as all hell, I sat down to boil some water without the windscreen. It took easily 10 min. even with me trying to block the wind with various objects. Later in the hike I pulled out the windscreen, set it up in the wind and had boiling water in the usuall 3 min.

Lesson: Always use a windscreen.

laniamore
10-31-2006, 23:50
are either good for thru-hiking, or should i get something bigger?

Rain Man
11-01-2006, 11:05
... Took along my GP stove to make hot beverage if I wanted. It was windy as all hell... I pulled out the windscreen, set it up in the wind and had boiling water in the usuall 3 min. Lesson: Always use a windscreen.

???? I thought it was dangerous to use a windscreen with a canister of compressed gas, which can overheat inside the windscreen!!!! Not counting the MSR Wind-Pro, with which the canister sets off to the side, that is.

So, how do you use a windscreen with a Pocket Rocket or a Giga-Power???

Rain:sunMan

John B
11-01-2006, 11:12
Snowpeak sells what they call a wind screen -- it's kind of a flat, circular thing that sits over the pot stand. It costs about $8. I bought one but didn't carry it because the benefit seemed questionable given its weight (2 ounces).

saimyoji
11-01-2006, 12:20
???? I thought it was dangerous to use a windscreen with a canister of compressed gas, which can overheat inside the windscreen!!!! Not counting the MSR Wind-Pro, with which the canister sets off to the side, that is.

So, how do you use a windscreen with a Pocket Rocket or a Giga-Power???

Very carefully!!

No, what I use is a segment of aluminm foil that I fold loosely under the stove element and above the cannister. This protects the cannister from getting hot. Keep in mind that the warning to not use a windscreen is to keep the cannister from exploding. In 30* weather, the cannister getting cool on its own, the risk of explosion is very low. Use caution and you'll be fine.

What I really end up doing is moving the windscreen around as the wind blows, so it requires constant attention. Cannister stoves boil very quickly as it is, so its really no trouble. I mostly do freezer bag cooking.

Kerosene
11-01-2006, 13:50
Not surprisingly, the manufacturer's windscreens are designed to be safe. No heat is directed down toward the canister, avoiding the potential to overheat and explode. Homemade (typically foil) windscreens sometimes redirect the flame or don't leave enough airflow around the canister.

superflatz
11-03-2006, 11:15
:-? Are the fuel canisters for the giga and MSR equally easy to buy - location wise? Are they interechangeable?

John B
11-03-2006, 11:23
They're interchangeable. And easy to buy while hiking.

superflatz
11-03-2006, 11:39
Thanks, John

longshank
11-04-2006, 09:20

Thanks for any info
I'd say one cannister of msr fuel will last 15 days or so, if used frugally. Pocketrocket all the way!

longshank
11-04-2006, 09:23
are either good for thru-hiking, or should i get something bigger?
Smaller and lighter, the beter.

longshank
11-04-2006, 09:24
I'd say one cannister of msr fuel will last 15 days or so, if used frugally. Pocketrocket all the way!
Thats using it to boil water twice a day.

TJ aka Teej
11-04-2006, 10:26
Try this with each of the next few new cannisters of fuel: Cook meals, heat water for coffee, etc marking the cannister with a scratch or sharpie for each use. Try one mark for short burns and two for long burns. You can even do this at home while you're practice cooking and trying out new meals. This way you find out for yourself how long a can will last.

I've owned both, and like the Pocket Rocket. If you already own one or the other, it's not reallty worth the money to switch to the other one, imo. YMMV!

Rain Man
11-04-2006, 12:40
I recently got a Pocket Rocket and have taken it on two short AT section hikes. Frankly, I am concerned about its instability as it is sooo tall with such a narrow base.

Isn't the Giga-Power shorter??? (and thus somewhat more stable)

Also, doesn't the Giga-Power come with a piezo-electric spark self-starter? (which appeals to me)

Right now I intend to return my Pocket Rocket to REI.

gumball
11-04-2006, 13:38
I've not owned a Giga Power, but have done quite a few miles with my Pocket Rocket. My husband and I each have one, they work well for us. gum

Footslogger
11-04-2006, 21:53
[quote=Rain Man;266163]I recently got a Pocket Rocket and have taken it on two short AT section hikes. Frankly, I am concerned about its instability as it is sooo tall with such a narrow base.

Isn't the Giga-Power shorter??? (and thus somewhat more stable)

Also, doesn't the Giga-Power come with a piezo-electric spark self-starter? (which appeals to me)

Right now I intend to return my Pocket Rocket to REI.

=======================================

Yes ...the Giga is shorter and if you use the smaller fuel canisters it sits much closer to the ground.

I have the Giga model that does come with the piezo starter but I believe it is available with or without the starter.

'Slogger

JimM
11-05-2006, 00:55
Which brand of fuel works best in winter? I have the Giga model. MSR and Coleman cannisters are available here.
Jim

Footslogger
11-05-2006, 14:12
Which brand of fuel works best in winter? I have the Giga model. MSR and Coleman cannisters are available here.
Jim
=====================================

I've used them all and haven't experienced any noticeable advantage. The key is to keep the cannister out of the cold so that the fuel vaporizes readily when you're ready to cook. For that reason, I like carrying the smallest cannister(s). While I am setting up camp I stick one in my pocket and the heat from my body warms the cannister. At night I throw one into my sleeping bag.

'Slogger

saimyoji
11-05-2006, 15:52
A week or so ago I camped in the driving rain (got totally soaked, thru and thru) but my SPGiga worked fine. One thing that was weird: I started a new cannister, was quite cold (~35*?) and the first time I lit it up, it shot an orange flame about a foot into the air. I shut it down, fired it up again and it worked as normal.

Any thoughts?

tarbender
11-06-2006, 02:17
Neither buy a Coleman F-1 ultralight.

floyd242
11-06-2006, 11:20
Neither buy a Coleman F-1 ultralight.

Any reason why?

Rain Man
11-06-2006, 12:31
... driving rain (got totally soaked, thru and thru) but my SPGiga worked fine. One thing that was weird: I started a new cannister, was quite cold (~35*?) and the first time I lit it up, it shot an orange flame about a foot into the air. I shut it down, fired it up again and it worked as normal. Any thoughts?

A wild-ass guess is that some water mixed with the gas and flame and instantly turned to steam?

Lanthar Mandragoran
11-06-2006, 18:56
Snowpeak sells what they call a wind screen -- it's kind of a flat, circular thing that sits over the pot stand. It costs about $8. I bought one but didn't carry it because the benefit seemed questionable given its weight (2 ounces).

Or you can make a Homemade Ti (Snowpeak) Windscreen (http://picasaweb.google.com/jdmitch/HomemadeTiSnowpeakWindscreen) from a 12$ bowl. It really does help keep the flame stable in wind.

Lanthar Mandragoran
11-06-2006, 18:57
Any reason why?

A Bit lighter.