PDA

View Full Version : Attention, SGT Rock

The Old Fhart
10-18-2006, 14:23
We all know how much you would like to be home, and we all would really liked to have seen you at the Gathering in West Virginia. However, seeing you couldn't make it because of a previous commitment;) , Starlyte thought it would be nice to send a little of the Gathering to you to let you know that you were missed and we were thinking of you.

First, Starlyte made a greeting card for WhiteBlaze members to sign and a photo of that card is in the WhiteBlaze gallery and there is a thumbnail here as well. (click on image for full size view)
The following are the signatures on the poster:

WalkinHome
StarLyte
The Old Fhart
Hunter
Matthewski
Bag O'Tricks
Brew
Baltimore Jack
Packrat
Sly
Camo
The Goat
Wingfoot (obviously a joke)
Happy Trails couple
Tent-N-Kent
Hatman & Happy Feet
Panzer & Mrs. Panzer
Krewzer
Swallowtail
Medicine Man
JoJo
Rat Patrol
Roni from Israel
Weathercarrot
Legs
Tha Wookie
Wonderfoot
Frolicking Dinosaurs
Marta "Five Leafed Clover" ATSOBO'06
Alligator
Teatree
Jan "Liteshoe"
Pipesmoke
Mala
Phatt Chapp
Longfeet
Greenbriar

Please note that various members on that list have disagreed on almost everything under the sun and we probably have given you a few grey hairs with a number of our posts on WhiteBlaze that "may" have crossed the line. The one thing that we all agreed on 100% is our support and admiration for you and all you are doing for us. You have earned and deserve our respect-thank you!

Next, some of us posed for a photo to send you. Starlyte thought it would be a great idea and Walkin Home supplied the flag. I thought it would be important to let you know that the flag used in the photo is from Co C 3/16INF, or for us civilians, Charlie Company Third of the Sixteenth Infantry(Reserves Deactivated). Our thoughts were that you could use a good visual to remind you that we are thinking of you. Even though there was a short discussion on whether it was technically proper to salute you, The concensus was, hang the regulations, you deserve it! (click on image for full size view)
Damn editor doesn't like spaces so I've used "-" instead to keep every name of the people in the photo in place, sorry. The saluters are:

-------------------------------------------------------Panzer1
-----Alligator----------------------------Funky Monkey------Redneck Rye
Weathercarrot-----eArThworm-----Gypsy------------Jester--------(2) Frolicking Dinosaurs
Tha Wookie-Wonderfoot--Lone Wolf---Walkin Home------Baltimore Jack----Starlyte
-------------------Blister--------------------Bfitz----------The Old Fhart

Starlyte will be sending the greeting card and I will be sending a framed photo of the flag shot to your house for Dixicritter to hold for you until your return.

Stay safe and hurry home, SGT Rock!

Gray Blazer
10-18-2006, 14:30
Way to go, guys! Thanks, Starlyte. Be safe and God Bless You, Rock!

StarLyte
10-18-2006, 14:33
In other words.........you were in our thoughts this weekend!

We had a lot of fun doing this Sgt. Rock.

Thanks to everyone!

Mother Nature
10-18-2006, 14:38
Sgt,

I was at the Gathering and missed the opportunity to sign the card. Please consider a hug and a howdy from Mother Nature and Smokestack.

You were in my thoughts over the weekend. My son is over there with you rattling around Baghdad area somewhere. May each and everyone of you come home soon and safely.

Mother Nature

Creek Dancer
10-18-2006, 14:42
Wow, this is one special place to have so many people thinking about you. My brother is a veteran of the first Gulf war. We missed him terribly when he was gone so I know how much you are missed by those who know and love you. Hope to see you on the trail someday Rock.

SGT Rock
10-18-2006, 14:45
Damn,

I don't know where to start, but I'll try...

Thanks. From the bottom of my heart. Especially for the salute picture. Hell yes, as long as you salute with the right hand you are good.

I am looking forward to putting that up on the wall here in my hootch next to all my pictures of hiking, the mountains, my family, and Trail Days/Hardcore of the past.

I plan to be there next year. I also plan to shake a lot of hands and say a lot of "Thank You"s in person.

You guys are the best. You guys re-enforce my faith in the family of hikers on a regular basis.

Again, thank you.

johnny quest
10-18-2006, 14:46
oohrah to a mudpuppy! bring your men home safe. all else is gravy.

Jack Tarlin
10-18-2006, 14:51
No, Rock, for once you got it all wrong.

It is all of US who should be thanking YOU!

See you soon.

Sly
10-18-2006, 14:54
Right on Jack!

Damn, I missed the photo. At attention and saluting now...

ShakeyLeggs
10-18-2006, 14:56
HoooYaaa

Hurry Back Top.

There are alot of yellow ribbons around alot of trees for you guys.

You and the rest of the guys over there in harms way are in our thoughts and prayers for a quick and safe return.

And from one vet to another soon to be vet THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE

SGT Rock
10-18-2006, 15:03
I can't wait to get back. And I hope they start getting the troops out soon too.

Anyhow. I now have a new desktop on my computer here. I am trying to figure out who all the people in the picture are, some don't show up too well and others I really, honestly do not recognize. But there are some VERY familiar faces in there too.

Damn, I am still in awe of this. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Alligator
10-18-2006, 15:10
From Left, front
Kneeling, Blister Sister, Bfitz
Tha Wookie(plaid), Wonderfoot, LW, Walkin' Home, Jack, TOF, Starlyte
Weathercarrot, ?, Gypsy(?), Jester, FD (F), FD (M?)
Alligator(Right of Weathercarrot), Three men in back near flag?

Kerosene
10-18-2006, 15:11
Nice touch folks. I wish I could have been there. Thank you, Sarge.

BTW, did anyone else notice how straight everyone is standing instead of the usual stoop-shouldered pictures you see of hikers? They almost look civilized!

The Old Fhart
10-18-2006, 15:21
Damn editor doesn't like spaces so I've used "-" instead to keep every name of the people in the photo in place, sorry.

-------------------------------------------------------Panzer1
-----Alligator----------------------------Funky Monkey------Redneck Rye
Weathercarrot-----eArThworm-----Gypsy------------Jester--------(2) Frolicking Dinosaurs
Tha Wookie-Wonderfoot--Lone Wolf---Walkin Home------Baltimore Jack----Starlyte
-------------------Blister--------------------Bfitz----------The Old Fhart

SGT Rock
10-18-2006, 15:24
Thanks, that got it for me. Some new faces I know by user/trail names. I can't wait to get back and see these folks.

BTW, when is SORuck? Maybe I can be back in time.

Sly
10-18-2006, 15:26
SoRuck is MLK Weekend.... Jan 12-14

SGT Rock
10-18-2006, 15:28
Dang. No way I will make that. Probably the first event of the year I can make is Trail Days. Looks like I will be home around 10 March at the latest, around 17 Feb at the earliest.

Sly
10-18-2006, 15:34
Not to worry, we can still do something in March at Fontana Dam. No reservations needed.

Jack Tarlin
10-18-2006, 15:40
Cool!

Then we expect to see you at the Billville Winter Warmer at the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon in early March! If necessary, we'll postpone it!!

Sly
10-18-2006, 15:43
here you go Rock ... (courtesy of FD)

SGT Rock
10-18-2006, 15:45
When is the winter warmer planned Jack?

Jack Tarlin
10-18-2006, 15:45
Pretty nifty uniform, Sly, but you get demerits for being improperly dressed.

For one thing, where's the Hammer and Sickle? :D

Jack Tarlin
10-18-2006, 15:47
Right now, I think it's the first weekend in March, but it can certainly be pushed back if necessary. Will talk to Jester about this, or better yet, we won't set a definite date til we hear more from YOU.

In any case, your presence is not merely expected.

It is mandatory!

SGT Rock
10-18-2006, 15:52
OK, just so you know, plan to do some sort of feed in the week of 10 March to 18 March while the boys are out of school. But that would also be a good week to drive up to Duncannon and see everyone.

Sly
10-18-2006, 15:54
What, is that a Soviet uniform? FD, front and center!

SGT Rock
10-18-2006, 15:57
What, is that a Soviet uniform? FD, front and center!

It looks like Mr Rogers body. With his his sweater and all.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-18-2006, 15:58
It is supposed to be a WWII US veteran saluting. Sorry, couldn't find a suitable current character. Mea Culpa if it is a Soviet uniform.

Sly
10-18-2006, 16:00
That's OK FD. I like it even if Rock thinks I'm a pinko commie Mr Roger type!

TOW
10-18-2006, 16:05
I can't wait to get back. And I hope they start getting the troops out soon too.

Anyhow. I now have a new desktop on my computer here. I am trying to figure out who all the people in the picture are, some don't show up too well and others I really, honestly do not recognize. But there are some VERY familiar faces in there too.

i heard on the radio last night we have six months to get her done over there..........

SGT Rock
10-18-2006, 16:08
i heard on the radio last night we have six months to get her done over there..........

Really? I would like to see that. I figure we have about a year more - give or take. More likely give. I imagine we as a country are going to start putting our foot down and demand they get on with it by mid 2008.

Blister
10-18-2006, 16:14
You have been in the thoughts of hikers and whiteblazers throughout the country this year. I was proud to particpate in the photo opp. As for the Billville winter warmer, the dates are definatley diffrent this year, since both Jester and I are on the ALDHA board we have to make mandatory appearences at these meetings, of which this year falls on the normal warmer weekend. I will check with Jester and we'll make a final decision so ALL can attend.

SGT Rock
10-18-2006, 16:16
Well don't go too far out of your way for me. After all I am just another hiker.

leeki pole
10-18-2006, 16:30
Well don't go too far out of your way for me. After all I am just another hiker.

Pardon the interruption, but you're way, way more than just another hiker.
You're our Rock.

Keep safe, buddy. :sun

Jack Tarlin
10-18-2006, 16:37
"You're our Rock."

That has a nice ring to it.....I seem to recall Matthew 16:18, which says something about "and upon this Rock I will build my website" or something like that, it's been awhile since Bible school, so forgive the mis-translation.

Gotta take off and go work in the woodpile, so Rock, I'm glad you liked the surprises; big thanx to Marsha and O.F. for the card and photos, those were two really fine ideas.

TJ aka Teej
10-18-2006, 16:42
I get back from Katahdin and first thing I see in my emailbox is a link from Marsha to this wonderful thread! Thanks to all who thought of sending this salute to Rock, and Rock - thanks for everything you do for us. See you safe back here at home *soon*!

The Old Fhart
10-18-2006, 16:50
Baltimore Jack-".....I seem to recall Matthew 16:18, which says something about ...."Geez, I got so wrapped up in another thread that I thought you were quoting the gospel according to Matthewski!!:eek:

ShakeyLeggs
10-18-2006, 17:13

Top haven't you learned anything. You may think you are just a hiker. But your wrong. The WB community in not just a normal community it is more of a family. And your a big part of it. So your not just another hiker YOUR FAMILY.

StarLyte
10-18-2006, 17:19
Top haven't you learned anything. You may think you are just a hiker. But your wrong. The WB community in not just a normal community it is more of a family. And your a big part of it. So your not just another hiker YOUR FAMILY.

Well put Shakey Leggs.........exactly what I feel as well.

There is no doubt that the AT Community is my other family. I have a difficult time leave hiker events for this reason.

StarLyte
10-18-2006, 17:20
"You're our Rock."

That has a nice ring to it.....I seem to recall Matthew 16:18, which says something about "and upon this Rock I will build my website" or something like that, it's been awhile since Bible school, so forgive the mis-translation.

Gotta take off and go work in the woodpile, so Rock, I'm glad you liked the surprises; big thanx to Marsha and O.F. for the card and photos, those were two really fine ideas.

Jack......you ARE sentimental......

Sly
10-18-2006, 17:22
Jack......you ARE sentimental......

Yeah, he cries when departing friends almost as often as you do! ;)

Lone Wolf
10-18-2006, 19:30
He's just suckin azz so he doesn't get banned from the site.:)

Heater
10-18-2006, 19:39
He's just suckin azz so he doesn't get banned from the site.:)

And you were so nice yesterday... almost a kumbayah kinda warm and fuzzy type nice. So sweet it nearly made me sick! :eek:

What happened? :-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-18-2006, 19:42
What happened? :-?The complex and diverse spirits are what make this 'family' so special.

Lone Wolf
10-18-2006, 19:45
And you were so nice yesterday... almost a kumbayah kinda warm and fuzzy type nice. So sweet it nearly made me sick! :eek:

What happened? :-?

What post was that? And I'm just ***n with Jack.:D I'm all love brother.

Heater
10-18-2006, 19:46
The complex and diverse spirits are what make this 'family' so special.

190 proof complex and diverse spirits? :D

Heater
10-18-2006, 19:48
What post was that? And I'm just ***n with Jack.:D I'm all love brother.

I know, but I don't waana hijack tis thread. Have a nice day! :sun

xoxoxoxox :D

Heater
10-18-2006, 19:51
Come home safe, Rock. :sun

bfitz
10-18-2006, 22:03
Hell yes, as long as you salute with the right hand you are good.
Phew! Lucky break!

the goat
10-18-2006, 22:40
Damn, I missed the photo. At attention and saluting now...

ditto, signed the card, but missed the photo. no doubt was sleeping off a hangover in my tent. (damned L. Wolf:D )

thanks for everything, rock, stay safe & be well.

Ewker
10-18-2006, 22:55
Hey Rock, looking forward to meeting you when you get back to Tenn.

SGT Rock
10-19-2006, 00:23
Phew! Lucky break!

Well, according to an old platoon sergeant I had, back in the Vietnam era one of the ways the war protesters would show disrespect to the military was a left handed salute.

SGT Rock
10-19-2006, 00:25
Hey Rock, looking forward to meeting you when you get back to Tenn.

Sounds like a plan. I am sure I'll post a couple of notices of hikes in the area. You never know who you will meet on the trail.

SGT Rock
10-19-2006, 00:33
Ohhh, and just for your general knowledge, LWolf is the only one, that I can tell, that gave a regulation salute. Marine training still shows.

TIDE-HSV
10-19-2006, 00:35
hang tight...

bfitz
10-19-2006, 00:39
Well, according to an old platoon sergeant I had, back in the Vietnam era one of the ways the war protesters would show disrespect to the military was a left handed salute.

I didn't know that.

greentick
10-19-2006, 00:45

ugh! as a young infantryman dropped in the middle of the army's medical center full of newly minted officers we would render a left hander hander and watch that moment of confusion flit thru their newly minted officer pea brains. That and the greeting of "Sniper-check sir!" were favorites. Cheap fun.

God Bless you Rock.

Lone Wolf
10-19-2006, 04:59
Ohhh, and just for your general knowledge, LWolf is the only one, that I can tell, that gave a regulation salute. Marine training still shows.

I knew you'd be the only one to notice.:)

Lone Wolf
10-19-2006, 05:35

In the photo: Tha Wookie,Weathercarrot,Alligator, Wonderfoot, Earthworm, L. Wolf, Gypsy, Walkinhome, Blister, Bfitz,Old Fhart, Funkee, Jester, Redneckrye, Baltimore Jack, Starlyte, Frolicking Dinosaurs. The only person I can't identify is in the back behind Rye and Funkee.

The Old Fhart
10-19-2006, 06:39
Lone Wolf-"I knew you'd be the only one to notice.:)Actually I pointed it out to Walkin Home when we were checking out the photos at the Doyle on the way home. I'm sure Ray would have got it right also if he hadn't been holding the flag. The boy scout salutes in the photo are a little different as well. It was the thought that counts.

Oh, Wolf, you did miss that the names of all the people in the photo were added yesterday right after Rock said he would like to know the names. You could get giged for that oversight!;)

StarLyte
10-19-2006, 06:47
In the photo: Tha Wookie,Weathercarrot,Alligator, Wonderfoot, Earthworm, L. Wolf, Gypsy, Walkinhome, Blister, Bfitz,Old Fhart, Funkee, Jester, Redneckrye, Baltimore Jack, Starlyte, Frolicking Dinosaurs. The only person I can't identify is in the back behind Rye and Funkee.

It's Panzer.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-19-2006, 10:14
Group photo with people labeled (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/ALDHAsalute.jpg)

The Old Fhart
10-19-2006, 10:18
Group photo with people labeled.....but you spelled my name wrong

StarLyte
10-19-2006, 10:28
Very nice FD!

Correct spelling for my Billvillian friend......

"FUNKEE MONKEY"

spandau
10-19-2006, 10:52
Sgt. Rock, I am coming late to this party, but I wanted to say 'thank you' for both WB and your other website. I have learned so much from them both, and now I am addicted to building alcohol stoves. :)

Stay safe, and come home soon.

Sly
10-19-2006, 10:54
Is that Billvillian or Billvillain?

StarLyte
10-19-2006, 11:02
Is that Billvillian or Billvillain?

Hey luv it's Billvill-i-a-n

it's relating to, so you would add -ian.

However, the Funkee Monkey (http://gallery.backcountry.net/Trail-Days-2006/HPIM3959) is definitely a villain :D

Sly
10-19-2006, 11:17
Ah, a Billvillian villain! Say that three time fast!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-19-2006, 11:41
However, the Funkee Monkey (http://gallery.backcountry.net/Trail-Days-2006/HPIM3959) is definitely a villain :DThe evidence (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/FunkyMonkey.jpg)

BTW, Funkee Monkey and Old Fhart's names have been corrected in the photo.

Sly
10-19-2006, 11:44
The evidence (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/FunkyMonkey.jpg)

That's Bag O'Tricks. He's also a villian villain

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-19-2006, 11:52
Whoops - the female dino needs new contact lens.

dixicritter
10-19-2006, 13:29
Y'all are just awesome!! And StarLyte.... I kept the secret. Y'all have no idea how tough it was not to tell him this was coming! I'm just happy I got to watch him read the thread yesterday. :D

bfitz
10-19-2006, 13:43
Is that Billvillian or Billvillain?It's an interchangeable term.

Krewzer
10-19-2006, 14:18
\\\ | ///
>snap!< Joyce Kilmer/Slick Rock ready for inspection 1st SARGENT!!!
/// | \\\
Hate I missed the photo Rock. Be glad when you are home.

SGT Rock
10-19-2006, 15:36
Speaking of that. Anyone walked the Slickrock area of the BMT since that big storm in the Smokies? I was wondering if there was any NEW blow downs after HOI did all that work on it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-19-2006, 15:39
The male dino and I are planning to go over next week to check out the section. I'm fairly sure I can hike Ike's Branch, but I doubt I can do the water crossings on Slickrock Creek.

SGT Rock
10-19-2006, 15:48
It really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. My 8 YO crossed it solo in August.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/PICT0015.JPG

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-19-2006, 15:55
The crossing above Wildcat Falls and the swift water / knee-deep crossing near where Stiff Knee intersects Slickrock are the two that I'm worried about. I could do the crossing in the pic without any problem.

SGT Rock
10-19-2006, 15:58
That crossing is the one on the BMT. It is the Slickrock creek crossing that you do about 0.1 miles after you get off Ike Branch Trail.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-19-2006, 16:02
In that case, we'll plan on hiking as far as we can up the BMT and doing whatever we can to clean it up and clear it. I bought a roll of contractor trash bags for this trip :D We probably aren't up to removing large blowdowns given my leg problems and the male dinos recovering hands.

SGT Rock
10-19-2006, 16:07
Hey, once you make it over Ike Branch, the walking is pretty easy until you get to a short climb twords the end of Stiff Knee near Farr Gap. It is a great hike. If you are looking for a good campsite, there is a great one at the interesection of Stiff Knee and Slickrick - just don't camp by the creek, go up the hill.

mweinstone
10-19-2006, 16:17
good times were had by all. hope you love the card. and in the group photo( witch i missed cause im a dumbass and drank too much loneshine.)lone wolf is the only one saluting correctly.nice hand stiffness wolf.thats how i like to see em. seper fi sargent.

SGT Rock
10-19-2006, 16:50
good times were had by all. hope you love the card. and in the group photo( witch i missed cause im a dumbass and drank too much loneshine.)lone wolf is the only one saluting correctly.nice hand stiffness wolf.thats how i like to see em. seper fi sargent.

Inshalla...

Sly
10-19-2006, 17:35
Inshalla...

LOL... Time to come home Rock or atleast move to northern Iraq or Afghanistan. ;)

Alligator
10-19-2006, 22:41
Inshalla...
I think it's namaste.

Sly
10-19-2006, 23:05
I think it's namaste.

Namaste (hindu/buddhism) would be similar to As-Salamu Alaykum (muslim) or a greeting/salutation translated as "peace be with you."

Inshallah would be "If God (Allah) wills" or "God willing"

Alligator
10-19-2006, 23:10
Namaste (hindu/buddhism) would be similar to As-Salamu Alaykum (muslim) or a greeting/salutation translated as "peace be with you."

Inshallah would be "If God (Allah) wills" or "God willing"Ok, but he was talking to Mathewski, isn't he a Vishnu:sun .

Heater
10-19-2006, 23:11

Inshallah would be "If God (Allah) wills" or "God willing"

Uh oh. Are the fatwas fixing to start a flyin'... :eek:

Sly
10-19-2006, 23:17
Uh oh. Are the fatwas fixing to start a flyin'... :eek:

Nah, most Muslims are cool, friendly and hospitable, believe it or not. Just the wackos reading a passage out the Koran the wrong way with guns, bombs and explosives giving the others a bad name.

bfitz
10-20-2006, 00:32
Alot are nice, but misled and misguided into supporting what goes on, kind of like those nice polite townsfolk who happen to members of the KKK.

Sly
10-20-2006, 02:37
Alot are nice, but misled and misguided into supporting what goes on, kind of like those nice polite townsfolk who happen to members of the KKK.

Sounds about right, minus the explosives....

SGT Rock
10-20-2006, 02:45
In usage, Inshalla can also come after something happened to explain that it must have been God's will.

Yes, most Muslims are some of the most hospitable people you will ever meet.

skeeterfeeder
10-20-2006, 02:58
Group photo with people labeled (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/ALDHAsalute.jpg)

The photo was a very nice touch.

Sgt. Rock, we've never met, but one vet to another, BE SAFE and hurry home. Thanks for your service. I hope we meet out on the trail someday.