PDA

View Full Version : Some reasons for and against hiking SOBO?

1Pint
10-18-2006, 15:13
I'm looking at pushing back my March/April NOBO start. But, I don't want to hike the AT with a feeling of a deadline hanging over my head (need to summit K before it's closed.) A friend who knows nothing about hiking suggested I go SOBO. Which got me to thinking.... yeah, why not? So, could you help me out?

I know there are fewer people SOBO. Beyond that, are there really any major things I should think about before changing from NOBO to SOBO?

Thanks for any input,
Laura

Sly
10-18-2006, 15:21
Four quick reasons I can think of against. Black flies, it's colder, the sun being in your eyes and Katahdin being the ultimate finish.

Cuffs
10-18-2006, 15:37
1Pint,

Im in the same situation and have the same thoughts on finishing "in time."
I'll be watching this thread, thanks for getting it started!

Jack Tarlin
10-18-2006, 15:38
Advantages to a Southbound hike:

*More solitude, fewer hikers. Less crowded shelters, campsites, hostels.

*You won't be doing the mid-Atlantic and Southern New England at the
height of summertime heat and humidity

*You'll miss out on the bad weather frequently found in Georgia and
North Carolina in the early Spring.

*Southbounders tend to make fewer friends, but the bonds between them are
very strong.

*The early fall is very pleasant in the South

*Your trip can last til quite late into the fall or even winter if you need the
extra time; Northbounders pretty much MUST be done by mid-October.

Dis-Advantages to a SOBO hike:

*Horrible early insect season in Northern New England.

*Risk of horrible weather in parts of Maine and New Hampshire.

*You entirely miss the southern Spring; in fact you miss almost all of Spring.

*You miss the fall in Northern New England, which is a great time to hike.

*You'll be hiking well into the fall, or even into early winter; you'll see a lot
of cold, wet, miserable weather, especially in North Carolina and Georgia.

*Many good lodging places, such as hostels, will be closed when you arrive.

*You miss most of the continual cameraderie; most of the year's hiker
special events, gatherings, parties, etc.

*In all likelihood, you won't be home for Thanksgiving, and maybe not even
Christmas.

*You finish on Springer, which is a pretty unclimactic mountain compared to
Katahdin.

weary
10-18-2006, 15:49
Four quick reasons I can think of against. Black flies, it's colder, the sun being in your eyes and Katahdin being the ultimate finish.
I would add that water tends to be scarce during the heat of the southern summer as streams and springs start to dry up, though the growth of trail magic in recent years tends to alleviate the problem a bit, people tell me.

Creek Dancer
10-18-2006, 15:52
:D The good thing is that you would be going downhill the whole way south.

fiddlehead
10-18-2006, 16:35
Most hikers probably do a SOBO because they can't get started in early spring. A later start is necessary.
Sly beat me to it as the big reason i can think of AGAINST a SOBO is that the Sun is in your eyes (the 2 % of the time you can see it)
In other words: southbound is the way i would prefer simply because of the numbers of people NOBO. I hike to get away from crowds, and be in tune with nature. that is almost impossible on the AT although a SOBO can be rewarding. Western trails are more for me, or a winter SOBO AT Hike.

1Pint
10-18-2006, 17:06
Are the blackflies likely to be done with their season by July 1st? or around then?

Hmmm... never thought I'd be hiking into the sun. Okay... forgive my complete ignorance... sun rises in the east and sets in the west, with a slight southern angle.... is that angle enough to be an issue?

If I'm missing the best of the seasons (walking with spring and a New England fall color display)... is it worth doing a SOBO? I guess I'm really asking if there's enough beauty hiking SOBO to compensate?

Thanks!
Laura

Sly
10-18-2006, 17:20
If you can start by mid April and just keep a steady pace, without taking too many days off, you should be able to reach Katahdin before October 15th. Also by leaving a little later, you'll miss the crunch down south as most are starting earlier.

You can even start out slow, adding a couple miles each week and still be fine. If need be flip-flop.

Another reason I wouldn't particularlly like to go SoBo is that it's harder in the 1st 450 mile break in period.

Phreak
10-18-2006, 17:27
Are the blackflies likely to be done with their season by July 1st? or around then?

From the hikers I've talked to, the flies are still a pain in the arse through most of July. I was going to start my SOBO on July 4th, but pushed it back to August 4th to avoid the flies.

Any input on the flies is greatly appreciated!

Dancer
10-18-2006, 18:11
after seeing the sheer volume of people planning to NOBO I wouldn't think of going that way. I'm not 'antisocial' or 'out of it' but I just get tired of traffic and dealing with idiots at home. I don't want to do the same on the trail. Anywhere there are lots of people there will be jerks and idiots.

I have my own reasons for going SOBO but mainly because I'm a southern girl and I don't want to face the New England fall. I'm more comfortable being near home when it starts to get chilly. Also want to start on my birthday and I know if I can make it through New England the rest will be no sweat. I kind of think that hiking into the sun thing sounds fishy, all the southbound trail journals didn't mention that.

Cuffs
10-18-2006, 18:24
Looks like theres going to be a small group of gals going SOBO next year! See you all there!

Sly
10-18-2006, 18:34
I kind of think that hiking into the sun thing sounds fishy, all the southbound trail journals didn't mention that.

I doubt you'll find many of the NoBo journals telling how they hiked with the sun mostly at their back either.

Johnny Swank
10-18-2006, 18:37
Good responses. Jack hit most of the highlights. I started on July 1, after the worst of the blackflies. Those that started June 1 sounded like they got ate up. There's still enought of a "crowd" for company if you start mid June-early July, IMO. Not the full-blown social scene that a NOBO experience is, but different strokes for different folks. Finishing on Katadin would be cool, but starting up there was pretty cool as well. An ass-kicker for the first few hundred miles, but the rest of the trail seems "easier" by comparison.

A mid-June start gets you home around Thanksgiving if you're remotely consistant in hiking. I finished January 11th but I'm a total slacker. Damn cold in those southern mountains!

PM if you have any questions.

weary
10-18-2006, 18:43
southbound is the way i would prefer simply because of the numbers of people NOBO. I hike to get away from crowds, and be in tune with nature. that is almost impossible on the AT . .....
Not really, things can get a little hectic in the late winter/spring in the south. But if you camp away from the shelters. you can easily escape crowds on the AT.

The crowds thin quickly, even in the south. A third quit in the first few hundred miles. The rest are scattered over several hundred miles. By Harpers Ferry half have quit and even the shelters are rarely filled.

Thru hiker wanna be numbers are declining towards decade old numbers. In '93 I rarely met more than an occasional hiker on the trail. The crowds were at the shelters and popular camping spots. Avoid those and you are approaching the western "crowd" numbers -- at least the numbers I have seen on the western trails I have hiked.

Weary

RITBlake
10-18-2006, 18:57
I thru hiked SOBO in 05 and I would happily recomend it to anyone. Sure you miss out on hiker feeds, crowds of smelly hikers, competing for hostel/shelter space but other then that it's great :)

A SOBO hike has unqiue challenges and obstacles as does a NOBO hike. SOBO's generally begin hiking in the heat of summer while NOBO's begin hiking during the winter, or the very early spring.

From a social perspective the SOBO's I hiked with weren't weird or antisocial as someone commented, but rather a very upbeat and positive group. So many of the NOBO's in Maine and New Hampshire had this dull stare and were just ready to be done. They were no longer having fun. The group of SOBOs (10 of us) that we hiked on and off with never got to that point. And by the way, 9-10 of those SOBO's finished.

SOBO's also tend to be generally a younger group. Most of sobos we met were college aged kids who had just finished school, were about to finish school, or had gotten out of school a year or two before.

The trail will be an emptier place but for me (and many others) this is nice. During the day I enjoyed the quiet solitude the trail offered and at night I would roll in to camp and see my friends.

On the downside I think Baltimore Jack covered it pretty well.

If bugs and flies bother you don't hike SOBO. The first couple weeks are bad, it's no lie. But if you can suck it up for a few weeks then you'll be good to go.

You do miss Spring but you do get to hike with fall down South which is very nice.

You can hit snow and ice but its no different then the snow and ice NOBOs get at the begining of their trips and you just get it at the end.

I do disagree with Jack about 'many' hostels and lodging places being closed. We found this very rare and I can only think of 2 or 3 places that were closed by the time we got there. It was never a problem

The point is....

Either way, nobo or sobo it's an amazing journey.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/misc/progress.gif

1Pint
10-18-2006, 22:10
I'm glad WB has this subgroup. You have all given me stuff to think about. I'll try to check out some trail journals and maybe that will help too.

All the rough calculations I've done make it a 6 month journey for me. I like to plod along, slow and steady. To finish before 2007 becomes 2008, I'd have to start July 1st. But that puts black flies in attack-mode and helicopter-sized mosquitoes in my face and elsewhere.

To ask an indelicate question.... does going to the bathroom become a major issue? Especially for women who expose more just to pee than men?

weary
10-18-2006, 22:43
I'm glad WB has this subgroup. You have all given me stuff to think about. I'll try to check out some trail journals and maybe that will help too.

All the rough calculations I've done make it a 6 month journey for me. I like to plod along, slow and steady. To finish before 2007 becomes 2008, I'd have to start July 1st. But that puts black flies in attack-mode and helicopter-sized mosquitoes in my face and elsewhere.
Most years the worst of the black flies are over with by early July. May and June are the serious attack months.

As for peeing, I haven't noticed either sex having much difficulty finding an out of the way spot. I think you will find it's a non problem.

Weary

Heater
10-18-2006, 23:29
The water at the hostels flushes in a counterclockwise motion when you hike soutbound.

Nean
10-18-2006, 23:51

Hmmm... never thought I'd be hiking into the sun. Okay... forgive my complete ignorance... sun rises in the east and sets in the west, with a slight southern angle.... is that angle enough to be an issue?

If I'm missing the best of the seasons (walking with spring and a New England fall color display)... is it worth doing a SOBO? I guess I'm really asking if there's enough beauty hiking SOBO to compensate?

Thanks!
Laura

Yes -it is possible that the blackflies will be gone.:)

Hiking into the sun? Never crossed my mind.:eek: I think Fh is joking!

Never trust the pros and cons of a northbouder!!!:D

I've done it both ways, and honestly, sobo is an incredible, wonderful, never to be regreted way to do the trail.;)

Sly
10-19-2006, 00:09
Hiking into the sun? Never crossed my mind.:eek: I think Fh is joking!LOL... why is hiking south into the sun such a hard concept to understand?

Granted, for the most part, you're in the Long Green Tunnel but it's there, shinning in your face.

Remember to bring shades! :sun

highway
10-19-2006, 08:14
LOL... why is hiking south into the sun such a hard concept to understand? ...you're in the Long Green Tunnel but it's there, shinning in your face.

Remember to bring shades! :sun

Maybe most dont realize the AT is north of the Tropic of Cancer:D

fiddlehead
10-19-2006, 08:30
Yes, i was joking (sort of) On the AT, the sun is a moot point. The leaves rarely let you see the sun and yes, it is mostly southwest bound so even if the AT were devoid of trees, it would be an issue in the afternoon. Also, east coast weather makes the sun a thing to be longed for.
But on the PCT or CDT it would most definitely be an issue. The sun in your face all the time would be something I would consider on those trails.
But the AT, I'm saying it is one very slight reason to find a problem with a SOBO hike. (probably the only one) go for it.

hopefulhiker
10-19-2006, 08:41
One other option is to flip flop hike, Last year I wanted to take more time through Maine. I could have pushed through and finished a NOBO hike but I decided to flip from Gorham NH. I took a bus up to ME and then hiked back to Gorham..This gave me more time to do some of the side trails in Maine and just take my time.. I finished October 23 of last year..

Old Hillwalker
10-19-2006, 08:53
The Black Fly season in NH begins just before Mother's Day with variations linked to the daytime temperatures. Earlier in the southern parts of the state, and later up north. It usually ends in two to three weeks, or whenever we get a week long stretch of days with temperatures over 80 degrees. Up in the mountains, the fly season actually keeps on until mid-August or later since the warm temperatures required for their cessation often don't occur on the summits. In the great state of Maine I believe the same mostly holds true. As you go up into the Maritime Provinces, the black fly season seems to run much longer. Again temperature related. I know that in Labrador, it's more brutal in August, than in July. There is not much more annoying than sitting on a summit and getting eaten by black flies, when down below they have been gone for weeks. And when they are really hungry, and need that protein to lay eggs DEET don't do Diddly. Since they seem to be solar powered one way to avoid them is to hike during dusk and dawn or at night. Of course then there are the Eastern Equine Encephalitis and Avian Flu carrying mosquitos to contend with then. Oh, don't forget the Ticks.

But for me after spending two years in the jungles of Viet Nam contending with incredible numbers of hungry leeches and malarial gifting mosquitoes, these little annoyances are pretty small potatoes:o

khaynie
10-19-2006, 09:13
Clearly RITBlake and Mr. Tarlin covered this subject very well; however, they left out one item of notable mention... You can swim almost along the whole way going SOBO. For me at least, there was nothing like coming across a sweet place to take a dip and cool/wash off. It's liberating. Oh, and hiking through the GRAYSON HIGHLANDS/ROANS/SMOKIES/NANTAHALA'S/GA in the fall is magnificent, too!

1Pint
10-19-2006, 10:18
... You can swim almost along the whole way going SOBO.

But then wouldn't it be a thru-swim instead of a thru-hike?

1Pint
10-19-2006, 10:21
I love the idea of being able to get into the water (without frostbite) along much of the route and that's a serious plus for me. Nothing restores my stamina more than a good dip.

Based on everything you've all said, looks like I've got a bunch of reading to do this weekend to see if SOBO is my new orientation.
Thanks!
Laura

Sly
10-19-2006, 10:32
Another idea, and one that the ATC suggests, is to go north from Harpers Ferry to Katahdin and then south to Springer from HF. One big advantage of this, I see, is it's much easier to get your trail legs through the mid-Atlantic. By June, most of the northbound starters will have dropped out, so it's not nearly as crowded. You also get to "finish" with southbounders.

Of course, you wont have that end-to-end thing going.

khaynie
10-19-2006, 10:43
I love the idea of being able to get into the water (without frostbite) along much of the route and that's a serious plus for me. Nothing restores my stamina more than a good dip.

Based on everything you've all said, looks like I've got a bunch of reading to do this weekend to see if SOBO is my new orientation.
Thanks!
Laura

Good luck on your decision and w/ your planning.

Johnny Swank
10-19-2006, 10:50
Good point about the swimming thing. I had forgotten about that. The blackflies in Maine didn't get you as long as you were underwater!

The Solemates
10-19-2006, 13:01
We found that the black flies in New England were not nearly as bad as everyone said they were going to be. For us, it was really a non-issue. We were in Maine in June.

Nean
10-19-2006, 16:50
More important than any direction will be your attitude.;) For example: To me, there are only pros for going north and, or, and/or, south.:D Every year/hike is different and different is always good (at least for me!)- on the trail.:-?

Serious Fh, ALL I've ever noticed about the sun as to direction is that in the morning it's on one side............ and in the afternoon it's on the other..........:eek:

Phreak
10-19-2006, 16:54
The water at the hostels flushes in a counterclockwise motion when you hike soutbound.
Good one... lol. :D

Johnny Swank
10-19-2006, 17:34
I know I'm not the only one that does this. Whenever I plan a trip now I almost always go southbound. It just seems right to watch the sunset to my left.

I need help.

the goat
10-19-2006, 17:40
I know I'm not the only one that does this. Whenever I plan a trip now I almost always go southbound. It just seems right to watch the sunset to my left.

I need help.

if you're heading south, the sun is setting on your right.

Just Jeff
10-19-2006, 17:45
He's walking backwards to save his knees on the downhills.

emerald
10-19-2006, 20:04
Hypothetically speaking... (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16116) by mtnbums2000 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=8437) started 07-12-2006, 19:39.

Click on the thread title above to view a thread which may be helpful to those wishing to consider their full range of options. ATC's alternative thru-hikes page is linked in a post by Ridge.

Johnny Swank
10-19-2006, 20:06
if you're heading south, the sun is setting on your right.

I gotta quite working so damn much.:eek: You're absolutely right. I even thought about that for a second. Time to go home.

Skidsteer
10-19-2006, 20:11
Hypothetically speaking... (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16116) by mtnbums2000 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=8437) started 07-12-2006, 19:39.

Click on the thread title above to view a thread which may be helpful to those wishing to consider their full range of options. ATC's alternative thru-hikes page is linked in a post by Ridge.

Er..You forgot to insert your link. :)

Nevermind. You caught it.

Sly
10-19-2006, 20:45

you mean this one?

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.848729/k.6FA1/Alternative_Itineraries.htm

emerald
10-19-2006, 21:34
you mean this one?

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.848729/k.6FA1/Alternative_Itineraries.htm

I was recalling the page name from memory and didn't have time when I posted it to check the page's name or add its link. It also occurred to me there may be some helpful discussion in the thread I referenced itself.

Some of these alternative itineraries offer some interesting benefits although they are a bit more complex logistically and likely more expensive at least from the standpoint of transportation to and from the A.T.

Another idea, and one that the ATC suggests, is to go north from Harpers Ferry to Katahdin and then south to Springer from HF. One big advantage of this, I see, is it's much easier to get your trail legs through the mid-Atlantic. By June, most of the northbound starters will have dropped out, so it's not nearly as crowded. You also get to "finish" with southbounders.

Of course, you wont have that end-to-end thing going.

Laura, you might consider what Sly suggested earlier. I wanted to call that to your attention, post it and let others discuss the idea as I don't have much time to throw after it tonight.

Consider hiking north from Harpers Ferry about May 15. Take some time off at home after summitting Katahdin and then hike south from Harpers Ferry leaving by August 30. This is essentially the Head-start: May thru-hike itinerary from ATC's page above.

This hike may offer the best of what both a northbound and a southbound hike have to offer. It would put you at Harper's Ferry at about the same time as an early start from Springer Mountain, you'd connect with some earlier and faster NOBOs for your northbound leg on which you would meet southbounders you'll later rejoin for the southbound leg. You'll still be hiking with spring, you should get considerable relief from the heat in July and August, by the time you reach northern New England the blackflies should no longer be an issue and you get to hike south with fall too!

Of course, if you want to hike the southern leg northbound ending at Harpers Ferry, that's also an option and you then will have hiked the entire A.T. northbound, should that be more appealing to you.

rickb
10-20-2006, 06:44
Some advantages of going SOBO:

1. Southbounders will enjoy a series of real accomplishments from their first day on the Trail. On day one, you climb Katahdin, and have reason to be proud. Over the next week or so you will pass though the 100-mile wilderness, and in the first month you knock off Mahosuck Notch and a really cool state. You discover you are real hiker quickly. To my way of thinking, these accomplishments/milestones can help give a hiker the confidence to know he or she can get to GA. The kinds of milestones a southbounder ticks off are way different than reaching yet another well-regarded hostel. This beginning can impact the way one looks at the Trail-- for better or worse.

2. You will see plenty of people but it, but it won't be a Mob scene. You are less likely to get caught up in a pack mentality. You will be more likely to hike your own hike-- possibly.

3. The Trail is beautiful down south, too. Plenty to look forward to even though Katahdin is behind you.

4. Its fun reading the northbounder registers. Especially when you hear them complaining about steep climbs, rocks in PA and the like.

5. Raptor migration on the ridges

Disadvantages

1. Bugs, but Southbounders are a tougher breed and smart enough to use deet and buy a head net

2. Dry springs. You may find youself asking about the water situation at shelters before you get to them, and even planning accordingly by humping a bit of extra water for a couple miles

3. The days get shorter at a point when your legs are conditioned to hike much longer.

4. The nights get longer at a point when you don't need all that sleep

5. There is the prospect of snow in the Smokies. On this score my imagination regading snow was far worse than the reality, but for us control freaks, the unkown can be somewhat of a burdon regardless of the realities.

6. No spring warblers

Either way its all good. Except for the parts that suck, but they are good too.

1Pint
10-20-2006, 09:46
Either way its all good. Except for the parts that suck, but they are good too.

Still laughing about that comment.... I think you've captured what a lot have been telling me... can't go wrong with a NOBO, SOBO, or flip. As long as I'm out there hiking, it'll be good.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm now planning a SOBO hike. The biggest difference for me is that the extra 3 months before starting gives me time to fit in some other hiking that I wouldn't be able to do if I stuck to leaving mid-March. And, given the realities of the workplace, it's just so much easier to stretch a 6-month unemployment into a 9-month unemployment as compared to trying to coordinate another 3-month gap in my work life with a new (after AT) employer.

I look forward to meeting you all on the trail,
Laura

PS and yes, I'm especially glad there are some other women out there going in the same direction. Many of my friends and family keep trying to convince me that it's too dangerous for a woman to solo hike and I love telling them that I know of others doing the same thing. It helps my cause. ;-)

Monster
10-20-2006, 12:28
To ask an indelicate question.... does going to the bathroom become a major issue? Especially for women who expose more just to pee than men?[/quote]

I think you're referring to peeing in buggy situations? It's true that hiking in New England/Mid Atlantica during the summer months will put you in contact with mosquitos - not in swarms so much, but enough to need repellent. Such is the case that you will, indeed, carry a few itchy bumps on your bum and the backs and inside of your thighs. I've never been bitten in a truly "delicate" area, 'tho! Good luck! Referr to peeing in the woods topic in the women's forum for excellent tips.

Dancer
10-20-2006, 14:04
PS and yes, I'm especially glad there are some other women out there going in the same direction. Many of my friends and family keep trying to convince me that it's too dangerous for a woman to solo hike and I love telling them that I know of others doing the same thing. It helps my cause. ;-)[/quote]

tell them the Amazonwoman is going south too! At almost 6ft tall and 'big boned' nobody gives me crap, we girls have to stick together.:)

1Pint
10-21-2006, 09:53
I think you're referring to peeing in buggy situations? It's true that hiking in New England/Mid Atlantica during the summer months will put you in contact with mosquitos - not in swarms so much, but enough to need repellent. Such is the case that you will, indeed, carry a few itchy bumps on your bum and the backs and inside of your thighs. I've never been bitten in a truly "delicate" area, 'tho! Good luck! Referr to peeing in the woods topic in the women's forum for excellent tips.

Yes, that's what I was referring to. If those tiny monsters are swarming everywhere, a headnet isn't going to do me a bit of good when I've got to pee. I can see myself limiting my liquids so I don't have to go as often but that would be dumb because then I'm risking dehydration just so I don't get bit on me bum. But, when those little buggers are driving me crazy, nothing matters except getting away and not exposing more than necessary to them. I'll check out the women's forum discussions. Thanks.

NotYet
10-21-2006, 22:31
Southbound makes for a fantastic trip! My husband has hiked both directions, and he says that his SOBO trip was the most enjoyable.

We started southbound on July 18, 2000 to avoid the black flies beacuse they completely tear me up whenever they get the chance. I only had 1 black fly bite the entire trip (it was on day 3); so our plan worked!

The snows in the fall in the south are usually "fluffier" than the slushy spring snows down here. They are usually a joy to walk in. While you might have similar temperatures in spring and fall, you're more likely to stay dry in fall!

I think that the "sun issue" is actually real. The sun hangs lower in the sky by November and December, and there is often no leaf-cover left. The trail isn't just going south (in fact I think you travel farther west than you do south). The low-hanging sun is in your face most of the day when you're traveling SOBO in November and December...not a problem, but it is good to have shades!

The springs down south are a little drier in the fall...but the guide books tell you exactly where they are... if there's no water, just walk down the drainage a little farther and you'll find it.

If I get the chance to go again, I'll probably choose SOBO again.

Have a great trip!

bobgessner57
10-21-2006, 23:41
I think that the "sun issue" is actually real. The sun hangs lower in the sky by November and December, and there is often no leaf-cover left. The trail isn't just going south (in fact I think you travel farther west than you do south). The low-hanging sun is in your face most of the day when you're traveling SOBO in November and December...not a problem, but it is good to have shades!

A hat with a brim helps with the low sun angle. I use a jeep cap (like Radar on M.A.S.H.) or a nice synthetic cap OR makes with Elmer Fudd ear flaps that can be pulled up or down as needed. Either cap has enough bill to block the sun most of the day except at sunrise and sunset. When the afternoon sun starts bothering me it is time to be looking for a campsite anyway.

Nean
10-22-2006, 06:30

A hat with a brim helps with the low sun angle. I use a jeep cap (like Radar on M.A.S.H.) or a nice synthetic cap OR makes with Elmer Fudd ear flaps that can be pulled up or down as needed. Either cap has enough bill to block the sun most of the day except at sunrise and sunset. When the afternoon sun starts bothering me it is time to be looking for a campsite anyway.

Maybe that is why I never was bothered by the sun. Always have a hat and shades most of the time.:D

Great choice btw.;) :welcome to the SoBo Nation.:banana

Topcat
10-22-2006, 09:28
HMmmm...i think the only real solution is.......

Do both, I think a yoyo trip is called for.

fiddlehead
10-22-2006, 11:13
The only real dilemna here is: When does your life's schedule allow you to start. and: how many people are you comfortable hiking around
The rest is pretty much moot because hiking is hiking and you take what you get and have fun in that environment. to change a hiking direction because of some sun in your eyes for the final month in the afternoons or because you don't know how to handle a few bugs, well, that's all part of the experience you get from being a thru. IF you can't handle those things now, you'll learn them on your next trail. Just hike! and enjoy

1Pint
10-22-2006, 11:18
Great choice btw.;) :welcome to the SoBo Nation.:banana

Thanks Nean. And I'm starting to hear that SOBO also lends itself to hammocking (due to the conditions in the north when starting), so who knows.... I might even become a tree hanger. Aack! What will my parents say?

Thor
10-26-2006, 09:27
The trail isn't just going south (in fact I think you travel farther west than you do south). .

If that were the case, you'd be fording the Mississippi at some point during the hike ;)

Just Jeff
10-26-2006, 10:30
Katahdin is about 68W and Springer is about 84W. If you start at Katahdin and walk to Springer (since this is a SOBO thread), you're traveling west to Georgia. Or southwest, at least.

Marta
10-27-2006, 14:02
Re: bugs on SOBO vs. NOBO

I started July 3d and didn't have much bug trouble. Nothing that couldn't be dealt with by DEET, head net, and sleeping in a tent in Maine.

I will note that a number of NOBOs had Lyme disease this year. I have not heard of any SOBOs becoming infected. I think we avoid the peak tick season.

Johnny Swank
10-27-2006, 14:11
If that were the case, you'd be fording the Mississippi at some point during the hike ;)

15 feet wide and 18" deep at the source in Minnesota, 1-2 miles wide and 200' deep in Louisiana. Your choice.:D

spittinpigeon
10-30-2006, 13:56
I've haven't had much trouble with the sun at all. I started June 28th, the mosquitos were insane, no black flies though. I only used DEET once after Monson. And to reiterate Marta's comment about ticks, to me that's a HUGE plus.

Pokey2006
10-31-2006, 01:31
Good for you, 1pint, for deciding to go SOBO. Sounds like a good fit for you. I hope it works out.

Black fly season is a short window -- you can time it right to avoid the worst of it if you do some research just on that topic.

Peeing in the woods? Not a problem! I went NOBO, starting at the peak of hiking season, and was mostly able to pee without being stumbled upon, so it's not really a big problem at all. However, I did have to steal moments to clean myself or empty my Diva Cup, because finding THAT much privacy was rare indeed.

I actually envy you, doing a SOBO hike. I didn't have the confidence to do that before, but I would certainly make that decision now. Good luck!

lock&bolt
10-31-2006, 03:03
One thing I was wondering about was whether anyone had their hike affected by or took any extra precautions due to the southern deer hunting season? I believe that in most states it goes from Sept. through January.

Johnny Swank
10-31-2006, 06:03
I just strapped on a blaze-orange vest and kept on truckin'. No real problems for me. If anything, it was sort of nice knowing that a few other folks were running around in the woods as I was WAY alone for the last few months.

Marta
11-01-2006, 06:25
One thing I was wondering about was whether anyone had their hike affected by or took any extra precautions due to the southern deer hunting season? I believe that in most states it goes from Sept. through January.

I've got a blaze orange hat and a blaze orange pack cover, and on Saturdays especially I avoid walking in low-light conditions. So far, so good.

khaynie
11-01-2006, 07:01

Good advice above. Definitley wear a lot or make sure there is plenty of orange on your pack.

One other word of advice...don't befriend, feed, or try and help any hunting dogs no matter how miserable they look. Do whatever you have to do to convince the dog not to hike with you. Use your imagination.

Case and point: We knew a guy who only tried to help a hunting dog by giving it some water which in turn caused the dog to hike with him. This guy didn't have a cell and was a few road crossing later that he was going to be able to call the owner. Unfortunatley, at the road crossing he was planning on doing so, the owner (who was with a group of other hunters) was already there. The situation turned ugly as they wound up harrassing our buddy. He was by himself and was pretty rattled; however, the harrassment didn't stop here. The hunters kept meeting our buddy at other road crossings which really made him uncomfortable ~ to the point of hitching about 15 miles down the trail to get away from these crazy bastards.

While I realize this was proabably an unfortuante and rare instance, it's something I consider when I'm faced with a similiar scenario.

lock&bolt
11-02-2006, 23:04
That is good advice.
In addition, I'm considering whether it might not be a bad idea to keep tabs on when the rifle portion of the season starts in a given state and make that day or following weekend off time. It's almost inevitable that there are a good portion of hunters in the woods around then who are handling their rifle for the first time since last season -if not the first time period. I've met a few people who've flat out admitted that to me without any embarassment.

That advice about stray dogs is worth keeping in mind, though it sounds almost like your friend ran into a group that was looking for any reason to make trouble more than anything else. The incident would seem to fall under the general rules of being on guard around strangers and not giving a jerk any excuse to get his hooks into you.

KirkMcquest
11-03-2006, 08:41

I was under the impression that hunters had to stay a certain distance from the trail. Obviously, people don't always follow the rules, but, for the most part this should provide a measure of safety. Does anyone know the law regarding hunting near the trail???:-?

Marta
11-03-2006, 10:31
I was under the impression that hunters had to stay a certain distance from the trail. Obviously, people don't always follow the rules, but, for the most part this should provide a measure of safety. Does anyone know the law regarding hunting near the trail???:-?

There is not a uniform law for the whole Trail. The only places where there is no hunting going on at all is in the State and National Parks. Other than than, the big plots of wooded land are used by hunters as well as hikers. Much, possibly most, of the Trail in Pennsylvania, for example, runs through State Game Lands. There are enigmatic white paint blobs on trees marking the border of the PA Game Lands, which is often the same as the AT. In some states where the Trail runs through public hunting lands, there are posted signs stating that hunters walking along the Trail must have their guns unloaded, etc. There are also sometimes signs deliniating "safety zones" around shelters and springs. That said, it is not unusual to see deer blinds and platforms up in trees not very far from the Trail. And to see hunters sitting around with their guns, waiting.

Some of the AT maps have information about hunting on them. The AT clubs in Pennsylvania have also put up helpful posters at bulletin boards giving the dates for various seasons.

It's pretty hard to keep track of what's going in as you hike from state to state. When I'm in town, I often ask the clerk at the Post Office. They talk to lots of people all day long and usually know what's happening in their area.

1Pint
11-03-2006, 12:46
I just received the best reason to hike SOBO... my best friends are having a baby in June! I'll be able to hang out until after the baby's born and then start my hike. Yippee!!

Okay, I HATE the dancing banana, but I'm soooo happy for them.

tarbender
12-06-2006, 12:46
The big issue is that a southbound offers a different start date window that lasts from about mid June until about mid august for most folks. Another consideration is that you will not encounter as many people along the trail as a nobo would. You also condition in rough terrain as a sobo which if done correctly is no problem. I experienced no lack of "trail magic" during my sobo. I met and formed good friendships with a total of about eight other sobos and at least met many other sobos at some point. I also took a very long hike at just over six months which may have had something to do with me meeting so many thrus both nobo and sobo. Summer and Fall seem to stretch on forever during a sobo with no spring and a little bit of winter for good measure. Blackflies ain't nothing most years by late June even in the hundred mile, but mosquitos were another story. In summation, you have decided to thru-hike so you should. If start date or social aspects guide your direction of travel let them. Insects and weather will likely plague you at some point regardless of your point of origin. I think the only real difference is that you end up seeing fewer people as a sobo especially at the end.

-jeff aka frankenfeet

English Stu
01-09-2007, 11:30
I went from near Daleville VA to Springer in Sept /Oct 2005 the weather was great apart from the ends of two hurricanes.Socially great and space in shelters and campsite .I plan to hike the rest in two sections one south again and then finish northbound to approach Kathadin as finish.My point is to flip flop to get best of the seasons and avoid the flies and cold.

ryan207
04-14-2007, 18:35
From the hikers I've talked to, the flies are still a pain in the arse through most of July. I was going to start my SOBO on July 4th, but pushed it back to August 4th to avoid the flies.

Any input on the flies is greatly appreciated!

Most southbound hikers I've talked to say the 100 mile wilderness is bad but gets a lot better afterwards. From my personal experience I think it just depends, each year varies in intensity.

jmcdonou
05-18-2007, 20:03
My personal reason for SOBO.

I was born in Massoftwosh**s and moved to Georgia when I was 8. I’m heading up to Boston to meet up with some old friends and then getting a ride to Katahdin.
My training for the hike has been removing driftwood out of my cove on Lake Lanier (about ½ and hour from Springer).
There is a 6 foot high bonfire pile, a bottle of Jack, my keg tap, my girlfriend, my dog, and a 100 degree hot tub waiting for me helping me walk home.

I don’t want to hike for 6 months and then have to sit on a plane for 3 hours waiting to get back to Atlanta.

applejack
05-18-2007, 20:48
what's massoftwosh s? haven't heard that one before. i'm just a curious qualified, certified massh**e

jlb2012
05-19-2007, 08:36
what's massoftwosh s? haven't heard that one before. i'm just a curious qualified, certified massh**e

the mass of two shts is about a kilogram

neighbor dave
05-19-2007, 08:48
:-? sun's always in yer eyes:-?

TIGGER
05-19-2007, 08:52
What the hell please is nobo and sobo?

Heater
05-19-2007, 09:41

NOrthBOund and SOuthBOund.

minnesotasmith
05-19-2007, 09:42

NOBO = Northbound, hiking either overall or completely in the direction of GA towards Maine.

SOBO = the opposite.

Note that an overall NOBO may well be hiking for a day or even longer SOBO (or vice versa). This is most likely for a slackpack, but can be part of a flipflop as well. I did my thruhike last year as a NOBO, going GA - Kent CT, Hanover NH - Katahdin, and Hanover - Kent. I identified myself as a NOBO even when doing the 281 miles SOBO from Hanover - Kent, as that was what I was overall.

Another issue with going SOBO: Maine is loaded with unbridged streams hard or impossible to rockhop/fallen-tree walk over if the water is at all high. While in Maine, I read multiple horror stories in shelter registers of people earlier in the season going through absolute Hades to cross streams that I (in Sept/Oct) found no big deal, even rockhopping at times. We're talking in some cases where they took over an hour to cross, had to do it in groups with human chains, lost multiple pieces of equipment in the process, you name it. At least in the South they understand that more than every third river needs a bridge. ;)

applejack
05-19-2007, 10:26
aw, got it now. wasn t separating the letters into words and syllables right. im like, what s mass soft woshes?

mudhead
05-19-2007, 10:37
Just water. Drains to the ocean eventually. You ought to see what the williwags are like...

Where bugs are bugs, and men are scared.

TIGGER
05-20-2007, 13:22
NEWBIE?? Ya Got that Right!!!!!
I have had my nose to the grindstone for 30 years as a Navy Doc.
I will get ot hike it more someday... Someday...
Right Now We have Tigger's Tree HOuse.
Thanks for the info!!
T

SunnyWalker
05-27-2007, 01:08
So what's bad about the 100 mile wilderness?? (mentioned earlier). I am thinking more and more about SOBO.

-SunnyWalker

Marta
05-27-2007, 07:05
So what's bad about the 100 mile wilderness?? (mentioned earlier). -SunnyWalker

It's not "bad," it's challenging.

1) I don't know what percentage of NOBOs have the pack sorting at Neel's Gap, but it's quite a lot, and they send home several tons of stuff every year. If those same poor souls had gone SOBO, instead of carrying their too-heavy loads for 33 miles, they would have had to carry it for 116 miles.

2) If you've got boots or shoes that are torturing you, you are stuck with them for that same 116 miles.

3) You also need to have food for 8-10 days with you, which is a heavy load for a greenhorn hiker who's coming from couch to Trail.

4) There are not many fellow travellers along, so there's less party atmosphere to buoy you along that initial scary "What have I gotten myself into?!" few days.

5) Katahdin is a hard way to start and quite a few people hurt themselves, especially their knees...though I don't know that it's a larger percentage than NOBOs who injure themselves out of the game right off the bat.

It's not impossible, or even close to that, but it is fairly hard for novices and out-of-shape people. You just need to assess yourself and decide if you are stubborn enough to go against the crowd. If so...welcome to the tribe!

SOBO Pride!

Marta/Five-Leaf

rafe
05-27-2007, 10:33
So what's bad about the 100 mile wilderness?? (mentioned earlier). I am thinking more and more about SOBO.

What Marta said (as usual.)

There's nothing wrong with it, but you need to be a bit better prepared and more self-reliant than the typical nobo. From Abol Bridge, you'll have to carry a week's worth of food, maybe a bit more, for safety. Nobos can get away with shorter resupply intervals.

IMO, Maine is the most beautiful state on the A.T., so in that sense you're doing things a bit backwards -- having dessert before dinner, so to speak.

fiddlehead
05-27-2007, 10:39
In regards to hunting season, I did a SOBO in 2001/2002 starting in Oct and walked through deer hunting season in 9 states. Didn't have any problems with the hunters and wore some orange ribbons tied to the front and back of my pack and an orange hat. Took the day off for the 1st day of deer in PA which is the most hunters in one day in the states from what i understand. But most SOBO'ers are past hunting season as it starts in late Oct in Maine and Dec in NC/TN, GA.
We had the hunters often ask if we had seen deer, we always told them yeah, about as far as you could possibly get from a road. They rarely wanted to walk any further than they had to. They littler more than hikers but are ok. Anyone who spends time in the woods is usually ok people by me.
Another good thing about a SOBO is that the leaves are gone from the trees which really opens up the views. and no people is really nice! We saw only 3 other thru-hikers except for the first and last two weeks as we finished in Feb at Springer. We'd see a few day hikers on weekends but really had the AT to ourselves. If and when i hike it again, it'll be a SOBO again. (i've tried NOBO too and it gets too crowded for sure)
Besides, i was never one to go with the flow.

ryan207
05-28-2007, 11:30
Advantages to a Southbound hike:

*More solitude, fewer hikers. Less crowded shelters, campsites, hostels.

*You won't be doing the mid-Atlantic and Southern New England at the
height of summertime heat and humidity

*You'll miss out on the bad weather frequently found in Georgia and
North Carolina in the early Spring.

*Southbounders tend to make fewer friends, but the bonds between them are
very strong.

*The early fall is very pleasant in the South

*Your trip can last til quite late into the fall or even winter if you need the
extra time; Northbounders pretty much MUST be done by mid-October.

Dis-Advantages to a SOBO hike:

*Horrible early insect season in Northern New England.

*Risk of horrible weather in parts of Maine and New Hampshire.

*You entirely miss the southern Spring; in fact you miss almost all of Spring.

*You miss the fall in Northern New England, which is a great time to hike.

*You'll be hiking well into the fall, or even into early winter; you'll see a lot
of cold, wet, miserable weather, especially in North Carolina and Georgia.

*Many good lodging places, such as hostels, will be closed when you arrive.

*You miss most of the continual cameraderie; most of the year's hiker
special events, gatherings, parties, etc.

*In all likelihood, you won't be home for Thanksgiving, and maybe not even
Christmas.

*You finish on Springer, which is a pretty unclimactic mountain compared to
Katahdin.

You know, to me it sounds like it doesn't matter which way you go weather wise, you always run the risk of inclement weather anywhere, anytime on the AT. As far as insects go, you've got it right. Terrible in maine.

Heater
05-28-2007, 14:51
You know, to me it sounds like it doesn't matter which way you go weather wise, you always run the risk of inclement weather anywhere, anytime on the AT. As far as insects go, you've got it right. Terrible in maine.

Seems to me that hiking SOBO you would have a lot more cooler/cold weather along the way if you were to leave in late June or in July. NOBO's deal with hot days of Summer in Northern VA. thru MA. Summer in New England (heat wise) 'aint no big deal.

Of course, being from Texas, I am acclimated to it so your take on it might be different.

rafe
05-28-2007, 15:03
Summer in New England (heat wise) 'aint no big deal.

So you say. Have you tried it? I've had at least one or two summertime section hikes that were miserable because of heat. One in Vermont, in mid-August, another in NY/CT/MA, in late June.

emerald
05-28-2007, 15:05
Most SOBOs hike through The Green Diamond when raptor migration peaks. If that's of no interest to you, then don't go here (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=367056#post367056) for more information.

SunnyWalker
06-02-2007, 11:54
Shades: thanks, that is very intersting as i am a beginner bird watcher. I have gone several times to Big Bend to watch raptors (Peregine Falcon). I want two questions though: SOBO you start in June so you hike (June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov)-you do not miss a "heat wave" do you? You are out there in June-Aug. Where would one might be during those mths, and is it really hot then? (must be). Second, I have read some comments on water. Will water be difficult to find (springs and such). Thanks. SOBO thinking, -SunnyWalker

mountain squid
06-02-2007, 12:35
Yes, it will be hothttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy032.gif. Personally, though, heat alone is 'usually' bearable. It becomes unbearable when there is 100% humidityhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/gen158.gif to go with 90F. Humidity just seems to zap your energy (or at least mine)...

Yes, you will probably have water problems. One advantage you have is the ability to ask the NOBO's where the dry spots are. Anotate in your Companion/Wingfoot and be prepared before you get there...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

emerald
06-02-2007, 14:34
SOBO you start in June so you hike (June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov)-you do not miss a "heat wave" do you? You are out there in June-Aug. Where might one be during those months, and is it really hot then? (must be). Second, I have read some comments on water. Will water be difficult to find (springs and such). Thanks. SOBO thinking, -SunnyWalker

On a thruhike from one terminous to the other, you'll deal with extremes of both heat and cold to some extent regardless of when or where you begin. There are ways of dealing with these extremes and how much they will impact upon your plans, however.

I'm a firm believer in unidirectional thruhikes of a shorter duration with later starts for those who insist upon a unidirectional hike and can reasonably expect to pull off a 4 to 5-month hike. Others should consider alternative itineraries, but many look only at whether they should hike NOBO or SOBO and which terminous at which to begin. There is also nothing second-rate about what is often called section-hiking.

Unless you begin earlier or later than typical, you'll end up right in the middle at lower elevations when the heat peaks. Hiking in the summer need not be unbearable or unpleasant. Summer days are long and hiking can be done in the morning and evening hours. You won't find wildlife active in the middle of the day. If you're hiking smart, you won't be either.

Maintaining proper hydration can be challenging at times, but it's an issue you can work around. As the previous poster noted, hikers travelling in the opposite direction can be a valuable source of information.

SunnyWalker
12-21-2007, 14:56
Go read some sobo journals. When i read some of them the liesurely pace they all seemed to have is what has attrackted me to sobo. sorry for the spelling, this computer is going and my time is up. -SunnyWalker

HYOH
03-27-2008, 12:50
No Belay and I are starting SOBO from Damascus in Feb 2009 and hiking to Springer. That way we can blue blaze GSNP and miss the Spring Break stampede. We're hoping to get to Springer several days before Trail Daze. We'll flip back to Damascus, enjoy Trail Daze, then NOBO from there after a few days of trail and site rehab/rebuilding. We'll NOBO blue blazing to our hearts content and try to get behind the departing crowd from Damascus. When we hear the Baxter BlackFly fighter/attack sqaudron has subsided. We'll then flip to Maine and SOBO until we connect with our flip point. We hope to take our time SOBO long enough to enjoy the New England fall.We have considered doing part of the LT just to use up some of our time until fall catches up. This plan involves allot of off trail travel but we're leaving my rig at Amicalola to get back to Damascus. We'll walk into spring and hopefully chase fall south. We'll still get to know the NOBOs that made it to Damascus and maybe a few of the SOBOs that are getting a late start from Baxter. We have allot more time and funds than most thru hikers so this is a great plan for us.

abramy
03-28-2008, 11:32
After reading every post in this thread, my decision of hiking either NOBO or SOBO, if anything, has been complicated. HA. I have always been one for dramatic finishes and easing into things. But at the same time, to nip anything 'unpleasant' in the bud, Hiking SOBO seems overall less physically and mentally demanding. (IMO ofcourse)

Time will tell.

My enslistment is up in June, so chances are I'll probably decide to go SOBO anyway.

We shall see. still have 2 years to decide :P

clured
03-28-2008, 13:27
I honestly can't see how SOBO could really be better than NOBO. Aesthetically, Springer to Glencliff (1800+ miles) is really not that interesting; Glencliff to Katahdin is beautiful. It would suck to go through the best scenery at the very beginning.

Also, the sheer sweetness of the finish on K can't be overstated; maybe I'm just shallow, but that grandeur at the end was really important to me. Watching Katahdin approach while in the 100, after thinking about it non stop for three months, was absolutely incredible. You can't even see Springer; you're just all the sudden on top of it.

rickb
03-28-2008, 18:46
Plenty of places more spectacular than Katahdin. Have you seen any?

If not, why not?

A finish on Springer is very cool.

Jack Tarlin
03-28-2008, 18:57
Please. I know people that have gone up Springer from the South and not even realized they were at the top of a mountain til they tripped on the plaque.

To compare climbing Springer to Katahdin is absurd.

If getting to the top of Springer is anyone's idea of doing something really cool, well they need to get out more.

Finishing the Trail is cool, no matter which way you go.

Going to the top of Springer from the south ain't all that.

rickb
03-28-2008, 19:08

You got that right.

Lone Wolf
03-28-2008, 20:03
Please. I know people that have gone up Springer from the South and not even realized they were at the top of a mountain til they tripped on the plaque.

To compare climbing Springer to Katahdin is absurd.

If getting to the top of Springer is anyone's idea of doing something really cool, well they need to get out more.

Finishing the Trail is cool, no matter which way you go.

you've obviously never walked 2000 miles and finished at springer as a SOBO. most NOBO that make it to katahdin don't give a **** about views. they were "done" in the whites

clured
03-28-2008, 21:49
you've obviously never walked 2000 miles and finished at springer as a SOBO. most NOBO that make it to katahdin don't give a **** about views. they were "done" in the whites

Disagree completely. You're right, after laboring through the west Maine woods I was done with scenery, and incredibly burned out with hiking and the outdoors in general; and then I stumbled out onto Abol bridge, looked to the left, and saw Katahdin, which instantly made me love the whole undertaking again. There's something about that mountain; yeah yeah the mountains out west are bigger and prettier - so are lots of mountains in Europe. But there's something mythical about Katahdin that's wasted on beginning through-hikers; however good it feels to finish on Springer, I feel like I'm almost positive that its more powerful by orders of magnitude to climb K at the end of a big hike.

fiddlehead
03-28-2008, 22:05
NOBO- sun's on your back
SOBO-wind's in your face

They are 2 different hikes (every ascent is different as well as downhills) so, if you did one and don't like hiking the same trail twice, you can do the other.
Most people who do this prefer SOBO. Main reason: people!

rickb
03-29-2008, 16:59
'm almost positive that its more powerful by orders of magnitude to climb K at the end of a big hike.

It is a magical mountain, on that we agree.

The most spectacular hike on Katahdin is over the Knife's Edge. Most NOBOs could care less, and skip it. After all, they just hiked the AT. Most SOBOS skip it too, but for an entirely different set of reasons.

emerald
03-29-2008, 22:52
It is a magical mountain, on that we agree.

The most spectacular hike on Katahdin is over the Knife's Edge. Most NOBOs could care less, and skip it. After all, they just hiked the AT. Most SOBOS skip it too, but for an entirely different set of reasons.

Did you skip it? I didn't.:)

SunnyWalker
05-29-2008, 12:59
When one hikes a SOBO do you have more time to complete your thru hike? I have this idea that if you hike NOBO you have to really keep at it, and a SOBO is more relaxed. Is this a accurate perception? I like the idea of hiking Kata at the end. But like the idea of having a more "relaxed" hike.

emerald
05-29-2008, 13:38
I think the answer to your question depends upon how much cold you are willing to tolerate. There can be cold to be dealt with at the beginning and end of a long NOBO and there can be cold at the end of a long SOBO too.

To lengthen the window of opportunity for a NOBO hike, you must start earlier. Such a hike need not necessarily end by October 15, but after that most hikers would need time, funds, patience enough to wait and transportation.

The window of opportunity for a SOBO depends upon when the trails to Baxter Peak open and how much cold you are prepared to handle at the other end.

Someone else with more time can likely provide you with quantative information.

Mags
05-29-2008, 13:40
I feel like I'm almost positive that its more powerful by orders of magnitude to climb K at the end of a big hike.

The Big K was the most dramatic and beautiful finish I've had among the trails I've hiked.

Though, I suspect finishing at Mt. Robson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Robson) on the Great Divide Trail would be pretty damn sweet.

The *worse* place I can imagine finishing a trail (among the one's I've hiked anyway) would be Waterton Canyon on the Colorado Trail. Waterton Canyon itself is pretty. But the end of the trail is a parking lot, across from Lockheed Martin, at a high use park in the suburbs of Denver. Talk bout anticlimactic!

Ultimately, for any thru-hike, it is about the journey itself. Katahdin? Spriner? Campo? Waterton? Whatever? Just bookends for an these wonderful journeys we are all fortunate to take.

rafe
05-29-2008, 15:46
When one hikes a SOBO do you have more time to complete your thru hike? I have this idea that if you hike NOBO you have to really keep at it, and a SOBO is more relaxed. Is this a accurate perception? I like the idea of hiking Kata at the end. But like the idea of having a more "relaxed" hike.

On a SOBO thru-hike you're almost certain to do some hiking in winter weather. But you don't have the artificial deadline of October 15 for summiting Katahdin.

I've done about 1/2 the trail NOBO and 1/2 SOBO. It's all good. After the first month or two, a SOBO thru-hiker will have lots of solitude. That's a good thing, IMO.

bloodmountainman
05-29-2008, 16:36
I've been on Springer Mountain in the fall and have met a few Southbounders who have made the comment that "this place is anti-climatic after 2000 plus miles!":cool:

rafe
05-29-2008, 16:40
I've been on Springer Mountain in the fall and have met a few Southbounders who have made the comment that "this place is anti-climatic after 2000 plus miles!":cool:

Ain't nothing quite so anti-climactic as finishing the AT seventeen years late, at a place called "Rocky Gap." ;) The bullet holes in the sign were a nice touch, though.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/cpg143/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_0910_ann.jpg

rickb
05-29-2008, 18:18
I think SOBOs are lucky to get a series of confidence builders right from the start.

You climb Katahdin on the first day and immediately know you can handle any mountain on the AT. You walk through the 100 Mile Wilderness the first week, and learn that you really can be self-reliant. Neither challenges are all that tough, but who knows that before they start, right?

You have the added fortune of walking through a no-sniveling zone all the way to NH (are there any of those in Georgia?), and after 3 or 4 weeks on the Trail have proven things to yourself that might be harder to discover going NOBO. Just a theory.

In any event, I think the kind of positive feedback a SOBO gets right from the get go pays dividends for the rest of the trip. Again just a theory.

rickb
05-29-2008, 18:27

I am thinking that more thru hikers stress about miles and schedules than will admit it.

My stress cam from others telling me that there would be impassable snow in the Smokies by the time I got there. Lies! Damnable Lies! Don't listen to the lies!!!!!

rickb
05-29-2008, 18:28
Ain't nothing quite so anti-climactic as finishing the AT seventeen years late, at a place called "Rocky Gap." ;) The bullet holes in the sign were a nice touch, though.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/cpg143/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_0910_ann.jpg

No summit shot with you holding a stick above your head??

Mags
05-30-2008, 00:09
No summit shot with you holding a stick above your head??

I prefer watermelon myself.

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2270&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=894c968a5d4676f5c57d89d4d931c940

rickb
05-30-2008, 06:50
Great hero shot!

Hope it was seedless. No point in carrying that excess weight if you can avoid it.

Mags
05-30-2008, 08:49
Great hero shot!

Hope it was seedless. No point in carrying that excess weight if you can avoid it.

No reports of watermelon plants on Katahdin AFAIK.... :)

SunnyWalker
06-05-2008, 16:11
I am sure I will go SOBO after reading this lately. Thanks. What got me thinking about this was Marta's journal. Up until then I would not have contemplated a SOBO walk. I think I will keep section hiking NOBO until I am ready to do the thru. My son is in USAF and stationed in GA so it makes it easy to get over there and to the trail.

JAK
06-06-2008, 15:49
1. I would be hiking in the direction of stuff less familiar, driven by curiousity.
2. I live in the North, so I could start hiking sooner if I hiked SOBO.
3. My closet currently faces south already, another time saver.

Johnny Swank
06-06-2008, 19:41
3. My closet currently faces south already, another time saver.

I giggled.

I was walking home on my SOBO, and I'll likely do it again that direction sometime down the road.

SunnyWalker
10-16-2008, 22:14
Now, Katahdin is not open for hiking until June? Can't get up earlier to start a SOBO earlier? I suppose one COULD start earlier and then sort of flip back, do Katahdin, the return to where you were and continue. Eh?

rafe
10-16-2008, 22:19
Now, Katahdin is not open for hiking until June? Can't get up earlier to start a SOBO earlier? I suppose one COULD start earlier and then sort of flip back, do Katahdin, the return to where you were and continue. Eh?

There are other factors that set the "earliest" SOBO start date: snow, muddy trail, high water, and... lots and lots of annoying, biting insects.

TJ aka Teej
10-16-2008, 22:23
Now, Katahdin is not open for hiking until June? Can't get up earlier to start a SOBO earlier?
Hi Sunny,
The Hunt Trail (the AT) usually does not open until the end of May or early June. The trail has been open as early as May 1st, and has been closed until as late as the second weekend in June. For planning purposes, MEGAs shouldn't count on Katahdin being open in May. The trail south out of the Park is usually fine by mid-May, and many early southbounders choose to return to summit Katahdin later in the season.

emerald
10-16-2008, 22:23
One could start south from Daicey Pond on a clear day after getting a good look at Katahdin and summit the next year following a NOBO hike of the 100 miles preferably with a good friend.

Seems someone posted a little faster on one of his favorite topics.

Also, great to see a thread begun by a friend of AT with contributions from so many here given new life.