PDA

View Full Version : Water!! Advice??

BananaDan
10-18-2006, 20:40
Hi, I need some advice on the water situation heading south from Dick's Creek Gap to Blood Mountain Shelter. I'm hiking with the crazy old man who thinks that a 20 mile hike on the AT is half a day worth of hiking. If I have a prayer of keeping up with this ole codger I'm going to need some water. I'm also open to moderate suggestions for packing light (I don't plan on using a scale or anything). Any advice offered would be very much appreciated. My crazy old hiking partner did reluctantly agree to stop at 20 miles/day. BananaDan

general
10-18-2006, 20:50
water is great right now, been raining for a couple of days before today. it'll go down fast however, the water table is still low. take a tarp for the light hike.

greentick
10-18-2006, 21:02
Hi, I need some advice on the water situation heading south from Dick's Creek Gap to Blood Mountain Shelter. I'm hiking with the crazy old man who thinks that a 20 mile hike on the AT is half a day worth of hiking. If I have a prayer of keeping up with this ole codger I'm going to need some water. I'm also open to moderate suggestions for packing light (I don't plan on using a scale or anything). Any advice offered would be very much appreciated. My crazy old hiking partner did reluctantly agree to stop at 20 miles/day. BananaDan

vvvhiippppp!!!!!!!!!!!!! The sound of Banana Dan getting sucked into the the whiteblaze net :banana

Took you long enough bro :welcome

Skidsteer
10-18-2006, 21:02
That stretch has 21 possible water sources in 38.5 miles. No worries.

Lots of places to drown an old man and make it look like an accident.

briarpatch
10-18-2006, 21:25
water is great right now, been raining for a couple of days before today. it'll go down fast however, the water table is still low. take a tarp for the light hike.

I talked to the Big Stick, the fall Ridgerunner late last week. He said that water is flowing well for a few days after a rain. If it hasn't rained in a few days creeks are still pretty reliable while other sources are about a 50/50 chance.

As a side note, emails to the GATC have started their summer switch from asking about water sources to asking about hunting season. Hunting season info can be found on our website at http://www.georgia-atclub.org/hunting.html . Time to break out the blaze orange. Be careful out there!