PDA

View Full Version : double the sleeping bag

chknfngrs
10-18-2006, 21:34
odd question: how much more warmth could I expect if I used two 30 degree sleeping bags together? Not zipped together or coupled, but one on top of the other quilt style. I am trying to save money and not have to buy another bag and am interested in knowing how cold I could reasonably expect warmth and/or what my options are.

Without being to vague, I have a winter trip is in my future where temps range from 0 to 20.

Johnny Swank
10-18-2006, 21:44
I think you're going to want to have the bag you're in zipped up with the other tossed on top. How thick are those bags? Western Mountaineering's Versalite is a 10 degree bag that's an honest 6" thick.

You might be able to get away with it, assuming a good pad underneght and some other clothes to sleep in. If you're in 20 degree weather in tent I think you'd be fine. 0 degrees would probably be another story. It would for me at least.

tjvol1
10-19-2006, 09:37
2 bags mean more weight as well...would look to maybe sell off one of the bags and make the investment. You can pick up a good 20 degree bag for under $100 now. The North Face Aleutian is a great one. If you are not going to be in 0 degree that often, that will work fine, extra clothes and a good pad can make the difference.

max patch
10-19-2006, 09:46
I did that car camping once with my 20 degree bag and an old rectangular synthetic and it worked, but for backpacking the weight (and especially) the bulk would be a deal breaker. If it was me I'd spring for a new bag.

Gaiter
10-19-2006, 10:15
i wouldn't carry two 30* but get a silk liner or something like that. then when it starts to warm up, send home the liner, and when it gets even hotter, send home the 30* and get the liner sent to you. and when it gets colder switch out the two again, ya get the idea...

Kerosene
10-19-2006, 11:37
A silk liner is only going to add 5 degrees to your setup, if that. They're really more intended to keep your bag clean (it's easier to wash a liner than the bag), although I do find them useful in keeping drafts out when you it's too warm to zip up the entire bag. A fleece liner will be warmer, but they tend to be pretty bulky and heavy for the purpose.

If your bag is big enough (meaning not cut too tight) you could increase the effective rating my wearing more clothes to bed. If it's a tight fit you run the risk of compressing the loft of the bag and actually reducing its effectiveness.