PDA

View Full Version : Vargo Titanium Kettle, 0.9 L

highway
10-19-2006, 09:26
I have been looking for another pot/cooking. I have used an MSR .85L titanium kettle for years, with a diameter of 4.25". When I cook with it, the flames always like up around the sides and those precious BTU's are wasted, heating up the surrounding air. Now my wife has a stainless mixing bowl that would be perfect-flat on bottom with a gentle upcurve to the wider top. But it has no lid.

Surfing the net I found the above. It has a diameter of 5.75", much wider, but does not curve out & upwards, but whatever. Is anyone familiar with it? It is non stick, which I have never used hiking.

Just curious if anyone has found any drawbacks to it and especially anyone's thoughts if it would help the heating & cooking any:-?

highway
10-19-2006, 09:28
I have been looking for another pot/cooking. I have used an MSR .85L titanium kettle for years, with a diameter of 4.25". When I cook with it, the flames always like up around the sides and those precious BTU's are wasted, heating up the surrounding air. Now my wife has a stainless mixing bowl that would be perfect-flat on bottom with a gentle upcurve to the wider top. But it has no lid.

Surfing the net I found the above. It has a diameter of 5.75", much wider, but does not curve out & upwards, but whatever. Is anyone familiar with it? It is non stick, which I have never used hiking.

Just curious if anyone has found any drawbacks to it and especially anyone's thoughts if it would help the heating & cooking any:-?

darn! I forgot the link!

http://moontrail.com/vargo-ti-lite-nonstick-kettle.php

I have just got to make a donation soon so I can edit my quite-often mistakes and omissions:D

Ewker
10-19-2006, 10:21
I have that pot. I only use it to boil water but it does have a non-stick surface. I like it no complaints at all. I bought mine at Trail Days last yr. If you can hold out till then you will get it cheaper

Footslogger
10-19-2006, 10:41
Compare it against the Evernew 0.9Liter before you jump.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
10-19-2006, 11:15
Vargo:
non-stick 0.9L pot, no handle
Weight - 4.0 oz without grabber, 5.6 with grabber
Cost - $48.00

Evernew:
Nonstick 0.9L pot with built in handles
Weight - 4.93 oz
Cost - $48.95
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47920364&parent_category_rn=6525426&vcat=REI_SEARCH

Evernew:
uncoated 0.9L pot with built in handles
Weight - 4.01 oz
Cost - $38.95
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=6188525&parent_category_rn=5760756&vcat=REI_SEARCH

I like the third option.

Phreak
10-19-2006, 12:03
I use the Vargo nonstick 1.3 and it's worked great so far - no complaints.

Heater
10-19-2006, 12:18
Evernew 1.3 litre is good too! 6.25 dia. No spills. I am sloppy.

I also like the handle attached.

http://www.rei.com/product/6188524.htm

khaynie
10-19-2006, 14:36
I think that titanium pots are overrated, overpriced, and not a very good $/oz ratio for saving weight.

What's your reason behind this opinion? Have you had a bad experience?

I carried my .9 evernew last year the whole way, and it held up like an old bodark fence post. My coffee cup, stove, and spoon all fit nice inside the pot which could usually be stored in my food bag. I feel like I got a fair return on my investment...

Heater
10-19-2006, 19:35
What's your reason behind this opinion? Have you had a bad experience?

I carried my .9 evernew last year the whole way, and it held up like an old bodark fence post. My coffee cup, stove, and spoon all fit nice inside the pot which could usually be stored in my food bag. I feel like I got a fair return on my investment...

I think they are tougher than the aluminum pots in the same weight/size range. Not much difference otherwise.

Kerosene
10-20-2006, 12:53
While I purchased an expensive titanium pot (Snow Peak 700ml), I could have certainly gotten by with a less expensive, less durable aluminum pot. In fact, I'd prefer it if it were lighter, as it would be very difficult to abuse a pot enough during a hike to make it unusable.

khaynie
10-20-2006, 13:06
While I purchased an expensive titanium pot (Snow Peak 700ml), I could have certainly gotten by with a less expensive, less durable aluminum pot. In fact, I'd prefer it if it were lighter, as it would be very difficult to abuse a pot enough during a hike to make it unusable.

I agree it's hard to abuse a pot; however, my last trip I've got a buddy that would tend to disagree.

The last trip I went on with thim he had a stove that would burn as hot as an acetylene torch. He forgot to turn the flames down (not sure if he was using oxygen:-? ) but wound up burning the dang pot into. So, be careful with your pot and flame selection ~ no pun intended.

Johnny_Swank
10-24-2006, 19:10
I torched an aluminum pot on a Whisperlight in my young and dumb days. Not a real problem with an alcohol stove.

Lanthar Mandragoran
10-24-2006, 19:26
I agree it's hard to abuse a pot; however, my last trip I've got a buddy that would tend to disagree.

The last trip I went on with thim he had a stove that would burn as hot as an acetylene torch. He forgot to turn the flames down (not sure if he was using oxygen:-? ) but wound up burning the dang pot into. So, be careful with your pot and flame selection ~ no pun intended.

and I have photographic that you can't do this to a SP600 with a canister stove, even with the pot empty...

Tinker
10-24-2006, 22:34
When I'm not using my little Esbit beer can stove I use my ages-old Evernew 1.3 liter ti pot with lid. I bought it for $16.93 at an REI attic clearance sale. One of the handles was broken off. I broke the other one off and use a bandanna for a "handle". The wide, flat bottom provides a good barrier to prevent the flames from an alcohol stove from shooting up the sides of the pot before they transfer heat to the contents inside. When people comment on how much space it takes up in my pack I simply tell them how much I can put inside the pot. What wasted space????