PDA

View Full Version : Another food option w/variety

Michele
10-19-2006, 13:24
Hey everyone,

I've been eating these things for lunch at work, and realized that they are perfect for hiking as well. They just require heating, no water, etc. I think a plus is the ability to get some protein and some veggies in your diet w/these.

http://www.hormel.com/brands/brandview3.asp?id=104&catitemid=3

I took some beef stew out on a hike last weekend and found it took very little fuel to just heat it up in my cooking pot (very little meaning I probably could have gotten away with less than 1/2 oz in my catfood can alcohol stove).

You can find them where all the rest of the Hormel and Dinty Moore products are in your grocery store.

jlb2012
10-19-2006, 13:26
how are they if you eat them cold?

Seeker
10-19-2006, 13:32
i'll bet they're just like an unheated MRE main course... which means tasty but heavy... also, when it's really cold, you get a layer of congealed grease on top that some might find less than appetizing... still, if you won't eat it, you're not hungry enough. looks like a good variety there though.

Michele
10-19-2006, 13:33
how are they if you eat them cold?

Well, seeing they are fully hydrated, spiced, etc., it would probably be fine, just cold. I just finished the meatloaf and mashed potatos meal and am quite full (I eat a lot too!), so I think if you can handle cold meals that would normally be heated up, then you'd be fine.

khaynie
10-19-2006, 13:33
What's the calorie, protein, and sodium count? Also, how much do these weigh?

Michele
10-19-2006, 13:34
i'll bet they're just like an unheated MRE main course... which means tasty but heavy... also, when it's really cold, you get a layer of congealed grease on top that some might find less than appetizing... still, if you won't eat it, you're not hungry enough. looks like a good variety there though.

They DEFINITELY taste better than MRE's...unless you're talking about the "Ham Slice" that is! :D

Michele
10-19-2006, 13:40
What's the calorie, protein, and sodium count? Also, how much do these weigh?

I just went and dug the paper out of the trashcan and got caught!...hee hee. For the "Meatloaf w/Potatoes & Gravy" here's the nutritional breakdown:

Serving is 1 bowl:

Calories--310
Total Fat--10 g (5 of which are saturated fat)
Cholesterol--35 mg
Sodium--1430 mg (YIKES!)
Total Carbs--36g
Dietary Fiber--4g
Sugars--3g
Protein--18g

I know this may not be totally accurate (because I didn't weigh it on my scale), but the pacakge states Net Wt 10 oz. You can tear the cardboard off and just carry the plastic container.

I know they would be heavier than dehydrated Liptons, but I think having a few of these each week would really help break up the monotony, and I think they taste good too, which is always a plus.

Michele
10-19-2006, 13:45
I don't understand why people always say that liptons are monotous and boring. With the rice, pasta, and asian varities, there must be at least 15-20 different flavors..yes some of them may not be as tasty to you..but..

It's a texture thing with me.....don't know about anyone else.

khaynie
10-19-2006, 13:52
Looks like a lot of excess and unecessary packaging..

True. But I could see this as a cheap weekend warrior meal. I can envision doucing one of these dinners down with 1/2 a qt of Franks followed by a baker's dozen of double stuff Oreo's. Cheap and easy.

Gaiter
10-19-2006, 15:43
is this something that could be opened and put in a plastic baggie so you don't have that plastic container to deal with, or is it best left in the container?

Peaks
10-19-2006, 17:24
I just went and dug the paper out of the trashcan and got caught!...hee hee. For the "Meatloaf w/Potatoes & Gravy" here's the nutritional breakdown:

Serving is 1 bowl:

Calories--310
Total Fat--10 g (5 of which are saturated fat)
Cholesterol--35 mg
Sodium--1430 mg (YIKES!)
Total Carbs--36g
Dietary Fiber--4g
Sugars--3g
Protein--18g

I know this may not be totally accurate (because I didn't weigh it on my scale), but the pacakge states Net Wt 10 oz. You can tear the cardboard off and just carry the plastic container.

I know they would be heavier than dehydrated Liptons, but I think having a few of these each week would really help break up the monotony, and I think they taste good too, which is always a plus.

31 calories per ounce. Not a good ratio for backpacking.

Just Jeff
10-19-2006, 17:47
But that doesn't matter much if you're just out for a weekend. I often purposely don't eat as many calories for weekend trips - maybe I'll lose some gut.

I might agree for anything longer than a weekend, though. Unless I was just carrying one for variety or something.

sarbar
10-19-2006, 18:33
is this something that could be opened and put in a plastic baggie so you don't have that plastic container to deal with, or is it best left in the container?
They are basically aseptically packed, so last forever sealed. Once opened you'd want to consume in a couple hours. I wouldn't suggest repacking.

On a note about the nutrition: while the sodium count seems high (and it is! One package is a day's worth of sodium), compare it to a full package of Lipton's or a freeze dried meal and you will go *wow*. Lipton's are not easy on the sodium.

ShakeyLeggs
10-20-2006, 00:57
I always think as though I am doing a thru when I look over gear and anything that goes in my pack. I have bought and eaten these a few times and they are good though a wee bit on the skimpy side for my apetite(sp). The only other thing I can say as far as using them for backpacking long distances is oouch my aching back.

wet=weight
remove water=less weight