PDA

View Full Version : AT Journeys mag

mdionne
10-19-2006, 20:08
I'm just getting back home from the field and got the chance to pour over the AT Journeys magazine.

Is it just me or has it changed a lot in the past year?

Lots more advertising and less information. people posing "l.l. bean" style on the back cover.

i know corporate sponsers have probably played a huge part in keeping ATC afloat. but for some reason i feel like my contribution is less important now. i sometimes wonder if the trail will come under corporate ownership. in the future, are my purchases at l.l. bean going to be more necessary to keep the trail going than my donation?

anyone get that feeling?

bigcranky
10-19-2006, 20:35
Whenever an issue of the old ATN landed in my mailbox, it was a great day. I've been sitting here trying to figure out how to put into words the way I felt about it. Something of a cross between a very small town newspaper and a 20-year-old broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion. Like I was among friends and family.

The new AT Journeys leaves me feeling all cold and dead inside. Slimed, like I need to take a shower. Or a hike, I guess. It's just slick and corporate and oh-so-PC. Putting a riding horse on the cover, for Pete's sake! Sheesh, next time let's out some ATV's on the cover. I see them on the Trail, too. Maybe I can buy the Official ATC ATV, with the little logo and everything.

No, it's not just you.

Sly
10-19-2006, 20:36
anyone get that feeling?

I think lots of people feel that way. As long as the maintaining clubs stay as they are and orgs such as ALDHA come to the forefront I think the trail will be safe from corporatism. I believe the ATC's job now is to buy the existing private land the trail crosses and expand the corridor.

Of course, the NP's could go corporate, especially if the present political climate stays the same.

Lone Wolf
10-19-2006, 21:26
I was turned totally off when one of the first issues was about horsepacking in my beloved Mt. Rogers area.Got front cover exposure. *** does that have to do with BACKPACKING the AT? Can you say, BIG BUSINESS? I'm not an ATC member. Just ALDHA.

Peaks
10-20-2006, 09:07
I'm just getting back home from the field and got the chance to pour over the AT Journeys magazine.

Is it just me or has it changed a lot in the past year?

Lots more advertising and less information. people posing "l.l. bean" style on the back cover.

i know corporate sponsers have probably played a huge part in keeping ATC afloat. but for some reason i feel like my contribution is less important now. i sometimes wonder if the trail will come under corporate ownership. in the future, are my purchases at l.l. bean going to be more necessary to keep the trail going than my donation?

anyone get that feeling?

Advertizing is one way to raise money. I can remember back to when National Geographic was ad-free. And I can think of other magazines that gave way to advertizing. I think is some respects ATC held off too long before soliciting ads for their magazine. While we as readers may not like it, it does bring in money.

Krewzer
10-20-2006, 09:21
Is it just me or has it changed a lot in the past year?anyone get that feeling?

Yea, me too. Still a loyal member, but it's not the same. I'm afraid I'm guilty of just thumbing through this new mag. I used to make myself not read all the old one the first day. Like making the kids not eat all their halloween candy that night.

Didn't make any sense changing from the old Appalachian Trail Conference to conservancy either. I'm hoping it will grow on me.

Speer Carrier
10-20-2006, 09:30
I can remember reading National Geographic back in the 1940's and there were ads then. How far back do you go?

Lugnut
10-20-2006, 12:12
AT Journeys is a complete waste of paper! :mad:

Jack Tarlin
10-20-2006, 14:10
Anyone wishing to help improve the new ATC magazine is welcome to conribute to it.

The best way to elevate the content of a magazine or newspaper is to become a part of it.

I daresay the folks complaining about the magazine would temper their comments a bit if some of their own writing appeared between the covers.

I've worked on magazines before.

Anyone can complain about 'em, it's easy.

However, contributing something positive and good that makes the magazine a better thing takes a bit more effort.

There are some good writers here at Whiteblaze. I urge anyone who is TRULY interested in improving the ATC's magazine to look into contributing to it. Actions speak louder than words.

springerfever
10-20-2006, 18:15
I agree with Jack. The magazine is what we make it.

We all realize that in todays world, EVERYTHING is evolving and changing. The AT is something I think we would all give up our favorite piece of gear to see it remain the same. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

I feel the ATC is headed in the right direction to stop, or at least slow down, the encroachment into AT right-of-way, but its going to take alot of money and support by folks like us.

I, too, preferred the older ATC format and 'feel' but the times they are a changin', and the best way we can influence the AT's future is by contributing.

refreeman
10-20-2006, 18:28
AT Journeys magazine is junk written by people who never hiked the trail.

Blissful
10-20-2006, 19:17
I'm still waiting for mine, sniff. Sent in my membership a few weeks back. Guess it takes a while to kick in.

Lugnut
10-20-2006, 23:13
Anyone can complain about 'em, it's easy.

It sure is. They make it so. What's next? Mutual fund profit designations and an article on ATV's? They've lost their mission statement. I don't see how a trip to Lebanon helps our trail no matter how they spin it.

WalkinHome
10-21-2006, 20:30
Ah, the ATC, the organization that some love to hate. Well folks, I think we have a pretty darned good trail here and the stewardship of the ATC delegated out to the maintaining clubs is responsible for it. They took a hard look at themselves and decided to make some changes - yeah, there may be some mistakes in there but they are trying to improve the organization so that they can adapt to current, modern methods to stay viable and have more/better impact on the AT. Booooo, we HATE change! Suck it up folks-nothing stays the same. How about getting proactive and fill some positions in the local maintaining clubs or run for office in the ATC? Go to some ATC Regional Meetings maybe? It's not all fun playing in the woods you know-there is a hell of a lot of hard, mundane and time consuming activities that have to happen before a club can even think of doing trail work. Then there is funding. Don't get me started. It makes me proud when someone here on WB states that they are not a member of ATC or somesuch thing because of some silly magazine cover or complain about "useless" trips to Lebanon etc. Is the AT suffering because of this? Do you think government funding might have a little bit better light on it when it comes to a vote because of the outreach efforts of the ATC (voluntary I might add)? Sorry, rant over-sleep now.

Frosty
10-21-2006, 20:41
Ah, the ATC, the organization that some love to hate. Well folks, I think we have a pretty darned good trail here and the stewardship of the ATC delegated out to the maintaining clubs is responsible for it. They took a hard look at themselves and decided to make some changes - yeah, there may be some mistakes in there but they are trying to improve the organization so that they can adapt to current, modern methods to stay viable and have more/better impact on the AT. Booooo, we HATE change! Suck it up folks-nothing stays the same. How about getting proactive and fill some positions in the local maintaining clubs or run for office in the ATC? Go to some ATC Regional Meetings maybe? It's not all fun playing in the woods you know-there is a hell of a lot of hard, mundane and time consuming activities that have to happen before a club can even think of doing trail work. Then there is funding. Don't get me started. It makes me proud when someone here on WB states that they are not a member of ATC or somesuch thing because of some silly magazine cover or complain about "useless" trips to Lebanon etc. Is the AT suffering because of this? Do you think government funding might have a little bit better light on it when it comes to a vote because of the outreach efforts of the ATC (voluntary I might add)? Sorry, rant over-sleep now.
I agree that nothing stays the same, but that doesn't mean that every change is a good thing and should be supported. The current government is changing the way the feds protect our natural resources. So we should suck it up, as you say, and support environmental rape? I don't think so.

If something sucks, we should say it sucks. If a change is for the worse, we should say so.

Nothing stays the same, as you say, and one thing that is not staying the same is grass roots support of the ATC. Luckily they don't have to suck it up. They are already sucking the hind teat of corporate America.

My subscription expired and I am proud to say I did not renew it. Support ALDA, support you local trail clubs and trail maintainers. Screw the ATC.

I'd write an article for them but I doubt they'd run it.

Cookerhiker
10-21-2006, 20:56
I basically agree with Jack's observation. Keep in mind that this is the first year of the new Journeys and like anything new, it will likely be tweaked especially if we rank-and-file members speak up to the ATC instead of grousing among each other. Personally, I miss Reflections from the old magazine; the new one has a replacment column but it's limited to one full page and only one article per month. In fact, the previous issue omitted it which disappointed.

I believe the ATC is headed in the right direction regarding Trail issues and priorities by focusing and publicizing the threats to the Trail like housing developments, the North Shore Road, and the Reddington wind "factory."

1Pint
10-21-2006, 21:02
I'm still waiting for mine, sniff. Sent in my membership a few weeks back. Guess it takes a while to kick in.

My first issue came a month after the months on the front - like if it was the Feb/March issue, I received it in April. Called the office and explained I'd already read a friend's copy of that issue back in Feb, so they extended my membership expiration date. I thought that was good customer service.

Since then, I always seem to receive mine in the second month - e.g. April/May arrived in May. When I see other people on WB referring to the newest issue, I always know I'll be reading it a month later. Oh well.

WalkinHome
10-21-2006, 21:41
Screw the ATC and you screw the trail. Support ALDHA, local clubs and maintainers all you want but it ain't gonna get it done. Will the last hiker turn out the light on the trail when you are done?

Lugnut
10-21-2006, 23:58
It makes me proud when someone here on WB states that they are not a member of ATC or somesuch thing because of some silly magazine cover or complain about "useless" trips to Lebanon etc. .
My ATC Life Member card entitles me to complain. Hopefully I'm wrong about the ATC losing sight of their reason for being. Until the jury comes in, thank God for the local maintaining clubs.

Blue Jay
10-22-2006, 10:42
i know corporate sponsers have probably played a huge part in keeping ATC afloat. but for some reason i feel like my contribution is less important now. i sometimes wonder if the trail will come under corporate ownership.

Yes, soon it will be the MacMansion Trail. Why, this thread is a perfect example. A few support the ATC, many do not. What difference could it possibly matter what picture is on the cover of a mag. You don't like the direction of the ATC join them, not just send them money, and change it. The same goes for other trail organizations. Unless you have not noticed these organizations are all that's standing in the way of armys of developers who live to put MacMansions along the entire crest of the Blue Mountains and all the way up to Maine. Wake up before it's gone.

WalkinHome
10-22-2006, 11:33
Hi Lugnut, I totally agree with your post. Glad to see you are a part of the the solution.

mdionne
10-22-2006, 12:00
Yes, soon it will be the MacMansion Trail. Why, this thread is a perfect example. A few support the ATC, many do not. What difference could it possibly matter what picture is on the cover of a mag. You don't like the direction of the ATC join them, not just send them money, and change it. The same goes for other trail organizations. Unless you have not noticed these organizations are all that's standing in the way of armys of developers who live to put MacMansions along the entire crest of the Blue Mountains and all the way up to Maine. Wake up before it's gone.

i'll tell you what. i'll cancel my membership. thank you for clearing the air on how you (and apparently the ATC) really feels about their petty contributors.

Frosty
10-23-2006, 19:18
Screw the ATC and you screw the trail. Support ALDHA, local clubs and maintainers all you want but it ain't gonna get it done. Will the last hiker turn out the light on the trail when you are done?Don't be silly. No trail without the ATC? The PCT is still there without the ATC, and about a zillion other trails.

Screw the ATC and the trail will be fine. The ATC will be replaced by a better organization or it will get back to its mission, which is not horses on the trail and not the crap it is publishing in its mag.

Today I received a new mastercard. Since 1995 I have used an ATC-affiliated charge card, where a portion (probably tiny but better than nothing) of all my charges goes to the ATC. Thinking about what they are doing, and this thread, I canceled the card.

When the ATC becomes a trail organization again, I will re-apply for that card. In the meantime, I will find an organization to support whose goals support something besides LL Bean and horses.

ALDHA yes, ATC no.

The AT is much more than the ATC,no matter what they tell you. There will be a trail with or without the ATC. There are lots of trails. Only one ATC (Thank God).

WalkinHome
10-23-2006, 23:01
I think Weary said it best:

"ATC was created to organize maintaining clubs and to oversee the construction of the Appalachian Trail. It continues as the only group to set unified standards and to keep alive the volunteer nature of the trail.

Without ATC the trail as we know it would cease to exist, replaced by the chaos of 36 maintaining clubs all going in different directions. Eventually, bureaucrats from the National Park Service would take over with all the political machinations that would entail.

ALDHA is a great group. It provides communication among hikers and eases the difficulty of long distant AT hiking with its Companion, and its annual workshops. But its role is totally different from that of ATC, whose primary function is to keep the Appalachian TRail a volunteer maintained trail.

The trail would continue without ALDHA. It would quickly die without ATC -- at least as a unified National Trail dedicated to foot travel between Georgia and Maine."

Weary

I can see why you would think that as it must take much time to take care of all of the shelters, privies, bog bridges, rock water bars and the excellent trail markings I have heard exist on the PCT. The ATC is not the bad guy here, complacency is. The Army used to have a pretty catchy theme regarding the retention (key word there) of soldiers and it went something like this: They are yours to KEEP (caps mine). I feel that way about the trail-it is yours to KEEP.

Blue Jay
10-24-2006, 04:35
i'll tell you what. i'll cancel my membership. thank you for clearing the air on how you (and apparently the ATC) really feels about their petty contributors.

I don't speak for the ATC and you may want to take some reading lessons as nothing I said in any way indicated "petty contributors" were anything but extremely important. You've been hanging around with Fitz too much.

mdionne
10-24-2006, 08:07
You don't like the direction of the ATC join them, not just send them money, and change it.

i don't think there's anything wrong with my reading because you're writing sucks. read it again, it sure reads like petty contributors aren't doing enough for ya. are you saying that i should stop sending money then "join them" or send money and "join them"? i was under the impression that once i sent money, i "joined" the ATC by becoming a member. apparently you have some news for me. if you want people to read the meaning behind what you are saying (like the fitz comment or what "join" means to you) then give a little more detail. better yet, take some writing classes.;)

MOWGLI
10-24-2006, 08:12
i was under the impression that once i sent money, i "joined" the ATC by becoming a member. )

Mdionne, I know Blue Jay can inflame with his style, but he has a point - I think. Joining as a paying member, and actively joining (and participating) are two different things. Consider attending the ATC Biennial conference next July in Northern NJ (http://www.ramapo2007.org/). There will be hikes, workshops, displays, and an annual meeting. It's a great way to see the substance of ATC.

Newb
10-24-2006, 08:17
I can remember reading National Geographic back in the 1940's and there were ads then. How far back do you go?

My grandmother had a complete set of N.G.s back to 1929, including the 1928 and 1927 year books. All had ads.

mdionne
10-24-2006, 08:38
this thread was intended to open discussion on the new tone that the magazine has presented. it wasn't supposed to be about membership. my concern is the future of the trail. the ATC has obviously gone through some changes and there was a "rustic" feel to the old mag, in the new one it is lost.

to add for discussion, i wonder if this is a reflection of the new ventures of the ATC. i wonder if the "rustic" feel of the AT will (continue to) dwindle. for some reason:rolleyes: , i am seeing the future of the trail as being well advertised and busier. meaning more fontana hiltons, easier access to water and the trail. i guess this is inevitable.:(

MOWGLI
10-24-2006, 08:45
The biggest threat to the "rustic" feel of the AT is uncontrolled development. ATC is the organization to support if you are concerned about that issue. Most of the local clubs (excepting GATC, NYNJTC, PATC & AMC) are not aquiring land to protect the trail corridor. Then of course there is the group Weary is affiliated with - Maine AT Land Trust (http://www.matlt.org/).

If I lived in Maine my dollars and energy would be going to the MATLT. I send them a small contribution when I can as it is.

And I agree. The magazine has lost something, but I expect that it will come around as members express their opinions and contribute quality content.

mdionne
10-24-2006, 09:11
The biggest threat to the "rustic" feel of the AT is uncontrolled development. ATC is the organization to support if you are concerned about that issue. Most of the local clubs (excepting GATC, NYNJTC, PATC & AMC) are not aquiring land to protect the trail corridor. Then of course there is the group Weary is affiliated with - Maine AT Land Trust (http://www.matlt.org/).

If I lived in Maine my dollars and energy would be going to the MATLT. I send them a small contribution when I can as it is.

And I agree. The magazine has lost something, but I expect that it will come around as members express their opinions and contribute quality content.

thanks mowgli, i did look into matlt and they got my donation. i didn't cancel my ATC membership as i posted above, it was just the tone in which bluejay responded.;)