PDA

View Full Version : Jacket Recommendations

hammock engineer
10-19-2006, 21:09
I am looking to replace my 100 wt fleece at 12.5 oz and my soft shell jacket at around 20 oz with an insulated jacket. I carried them both on my last trip and only needed them both in the mornings.

What insulated jackets do you use?

Right now I am looking at the Patagonia Micro Puff pullover at over 12.5 oz or the MEC northern lite jacket weight unknown. I would rather have a full zip, even though it will add a few ozs.

Blissful
10-19-2006, 21:25
Since I'm starting March 1st, I have a S.D. down jacket to wear. But I am on the look-out for a micro puff medium for later on. I tend to get chilly at camp, esp after a long day hiking.

aroth87
10-19-2006, 21:25
Anyone know how much shipping and handling from MEC averages? I assume its fairly high since its an 'international' shipment. I like the looks of the Northern Lite, but don't want to pay a lot to have it shipped, especially since its such a good price. By the way hammock engineer, sorry for the moderate thread jack.

Adam

hammock engineer
10-19-2006, 21:33
That's fine. I was looking at the price and it is only in the 60's US. It seems like a hard deal to beat. STP has the pullover for 80 something in 2 sizes. The XXL that I need is listed as pumpkin/wine colored. I can't find that anywhere else and wondered if it looks like a drunken jack-o-lantern.

The Will
10-19-2006, 21:35
I have enjoyed my Montbell Thermawrap. I have the older edition before they started putting pockets in them and it weighs 8 oz. for size medium.

I don't know that it will be quite as warm as the other options you are considers but it will be warmer than the fleece it is replacing and is well worth a look.

hammock engineer
10-19-2006, 21:38
Since I'm starting March 1st, I have a S.D. down jacket to wear. But I am on the look-out for a micro puff medium for later on. I tend to get chilly at camp, esp after a long day hiking.

I am trying to stay away from for my jacket. To me it has a lot more chance of getting wet, even under my raincoat. I am very confident with a down sleeping bag, just not a down coat.

bigcranky
10-19-2006, 21:56
I use a down jacket, or a down vest. They are only for camp or rest breaks -- I don't hike in them, so they aren't going to get wet from perspiration or precipitation. For the weight and packability, down is much warmer than fleece or synthetic insulations.

The jacket is a heavier Sierra Designs model, about 24 ounces, but very warm. The vest is a Montbell UL Down Inner pullover, <6 ounces and surprisingly warm for something that feels like it should float away. I'm considering the Montbell jacket, which weighs about 9 ounces, which in combination wih the vest would be pretty toasty.

If you want a very light (and expensive) synthetic, the BMW Coccoon is 9 ounces of Polarguard and Pertex Quantum for $200. (Ouch)

http://tinyurl.com/bvoks

Alligator
10-19-2006, 22:47
Anyone know how much shipping and handling from MEC averages? I assume its fairly high since its an 'international' shipment. I like the looks of the Northern Lite, but don't want to pay a lot to have it shipped, especially since its such a good price. By the way hammock engineer, sorry for the moderate thread jack.

AdamUsed to be $15 Candian.

map man
10-19-2006, 23:11
I've had good luck with my Patagonia micropuff pullover. A lot of warmth for the weight. I wondered if I would find a "pullover" instead of a full zip to be a hassle, but I haven't. I also stuff it in the stuff sack for my sleeping bag and use it as a pillow at night. I got mine for half price through Patagonia's web site about a year ago -- I got a color they were discontinuing. I see them on sale for half price like this from time to time, which is fortunate since the regular price is around $150.

Blissful
10-19-2006, 23:53
I am trying to stay away from for my jacket. To me it has a lot more chance of getting wet, even under my raincoat. I am very confident with a down sleeping bag, just not a down coat.

My precip jacket fits great over it, and since I've been in downpours with the precip, I'm okay with it. But like the other lister said, the down jacket is only for camp. I've also got silk undies and a terramar poly pullover as well.

For me early on - with the cold and weather, a down sleeping bag makes me nervous, ha ha. Gotta have my sleep! But I may switch to one when I get mid way and then go back to synthetic at the Whites.

Philip Jones
10-20-2006, 00:33
The Northern Lite is a great jacket for hiking and also everyday use. I got mine based on recommendations from other WB threads. Shipping in March 2005 was $19 Canadian. On AT sections in midwinter, I layered it with a down jacket in the evening. It's on clearance on the MEC website right now, but only in a few sizes and colors. I don't know whether that means they're just low on stock, or that it's being discontinued.

MedicineMan
10-20-2006, 07:00
is the Montbell Thermawrap Parka....warm even when wet, pockets and a hood, more insulation/warmth than their jacket but still a minimalists dream...the only downside is the cost but it is of durable construction....if you couple it with the Thermawrap Vest then you can see the 20s with little problem esp. if you put a shell on top. Get the pants too and use a lighter weight sleeping bag or quilt.

Buckles
10-20-2006, 07:57
I have the Patagonia Micro Puff Vests, both the pullover and the new zip-up.

I like both, but I recently bought the zip-up ($110) because I'm a warmer person and it's easier to regulate the body temp with a zip-up versus the pullover's choice of either Off or On.

Both are lightweight and fold up small into their own pocket.

Keeps me nice and toasty.

Trundle
10-20-2006, 08:06
I have 2 of them. I got my first one when I went on the AT in 2003. My wife replaced the zipper on it this summer. I wore it most of the winter up here in the Canadian midwest I bought one of the clearance ones and it has double the fill material the first one has. I shouldn't be needing my down-filled parka this year.

Great value for your money.

hammock engineer
10-20-2006, 11:16
DOes anyone have the weight of the Northern Lite Jackets?

hammock engineer
10-20-2006, 11:29
Answered my own question. The medium weighs in at 15.7 oz.

nchiker467
10-20-2006, 23:15
military issue jacket liner works good, around 7 oz

Big Dawg
10-21-2006, 06:52
Love my micro puff. Comfy and warm. Thought I'd not like the half zip, but it's fine. It replaced my bulky 1 & 1/2 lb 100wt fleece. I got my XXL black micro puff for $99 at altrec.com

hammock engineer
10-21-2006, 09:55
Thanks for all the inputs, I think I am going to get the Northern Lite Jacket. In the end I want the full zip option. It should only add a couple oz over the puff, and still be lighter and warmer than the fleeces I was using.

robb
10-21-2006, 16:42
I find I get a lot of mileage out of my Marmot Pre-cip or Essence jacket and a synthetic Montbell UL thermawrap jacket.

The Essence weighs in at roughly 7oz, and stuffs very small. The Montbell weighs in at 8.5 oz and again stuffs really small. I persoanlly prefer to mix a puffy jacket and shell for variable conditions, wearing both when conditions require it. For ultra cold, I can add my Montbell Vest at 5.5 oz and stuffs down to softball size.

Add a lightweight cap and gloves and I'm good down to the freezing mark.

twinkles
10-21-2006, 20:52
First of all I have virtually no experience. But after studing jackets for some time, I finally splurged and got a Nunatak Shuka. 9.5 ounces in a size large including 5 ounces of fill. I really like it. Packs down to nothing and is really fluffy and full when you let it out. No frills. Although I did have them make it with a detachable hood. http://www.nunatakusa.com/down_sweater_skaha.html

bobgessner57
10-21-2006, 22:39
About 2-3 weeks ago I tried to order a Northern Lights jacket in men's medium and was told there weren't any and the line was being discontinued.
Some other sizes may still be available.
The sales rep said they thought it was redundant to carry the MEC product when Patagonia also had similar products such as the micro puff. I told him the northern light price was a better deal than the Patagonia, especially for something I plan to abuse in the back country.