PDA

View Full Version : Clothes to bring

Boat Drinks
10-19-2006, 21:55
Hey gang. I have read a ton, and looked at many gear list on trailjournals and am still having a hard time figuring out what clothes to pack for a NOBO Thru-hike starting in march. I don't get cold easily, but like to be dry, or as dry as one can be. Can I get some ideas from you pros on what type of clothing to pack and how much of each? I understand about layering and synthetics and NO COTTON. I have many synthetic Tee shirts and a few pair of convertible pants, and many Fleece pull-overs, and zip up fleece jackets. Is this a good start? Thanks for your time and experience!

Spock
10-19-2006, 23:29
One opinion for moderate cold weather grear:
W/B rain suit to serve as windbreaker and raingear
fleece helmet cap
fleece balaclava
light fleece or wool gloves
poly insulated vest or pull-over
mid-weight long sleeve top for layering
light T base layer
Smartwool boxer briefs
silk top and bottom for sleep wear
sleep socks
Whatever hiking clothing you prefer such as long shirt, long pants, hiking socks, hat. The other stuff goes on or under as needed. This works for a tropical boy down to the middle 20s - while hiking and some in camp. When it gets really cold at camp, the quilt gets used Indian style.

1happyhiker
10-20-2006, 00:06
........Smartwool boxer briefs

commando. one less layer to get wet. :D

-hh

The Solemates
10-20-2006, 08:41
Hey gang. I have read a ton, and looked at many gear list on trailjournals and am still having a hard time figuring out what clothes to pack for a NOBO Thru-hike starting in march. I don't get cold easily, but like to be dry, or as dry as one can be. Can I get some ideas from you pros on what type of clothing to pack and how much of each? I understand about layering and synthetics and NO COTTON. I have many synthetic Tee shirts and a few pair of convertible pants, and many Fleece pull-overs, and zip up fleece jackets. Is this a good start? Thanks for your time and experience!

do a search on whiteblaze for gear/clothing lists for a march nobo start. there are literally hundreds of threads on the topic.

Boat Drinks
10-20-2006, 11:15
do a search on whiteblaze for gear/clothing lists for a march nobo start. there are literally hundreds of threads on the topic.

Roger That!

Ewker
10-20-2006, 11:29
look under the articles section. I think Sgt Rock did a really nice list on that

fiddlehead
10-20-2006, 13:40
If you have many fleece jackets/ pants, as i do (i sell them) I like to weigh the different ones and base my decision on which one is lighter weight while still being thick enough to keep me warm.
Fleece is a middle layer fabric and an insulator. You need the air spaces that fleece provides, hence: the thicker the better
But you still need that wicking "base"layer of polypro or some synthetic alternative. there are so many out there.
On top of it all, you need frogg toggs. You mention that you like to stay dry. IMO Frogg Toggs are the only thing out there that keep you dry. Gore-tex is definitely not a good option. it keeps you wet, not dry.
Anyway, good luck and have fun.