PDA

View Full Version : Got Job At Outfitter

undergroundnathan
10-20-2006, 13:43
Ive been bugging the local outfitter for a year about working there and finnaly they said yes.I know alot about gear and clothes,not that I can aford it ,but I know my stuff after three years of hiking the A.T.Plus I get a big discont on gear because ill be working there.dont know if they will et me take six weeks to hike the A.T.next year.Ill talk to them someday once I get some time In. ONCE A HIKER ALWAYS A HIKER, GOOD BY ALL SEE YOU LATTER. sincerly underground.

Lone Wolf
10-20-2006, 13:46
good for you, bro!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-20-2006, 14:00
Congrats !!!

ShakeyLeggs
10-20-2006, 14:06
Sweet. good job on getting the job. See perseverance does pay off. :clap

Nean
10-20-2006, 18:16
Thats great underground! I always thought it would be cool to work at an outfitters- and it was. Last years experience was a real eye opener. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Programbo
10-20-2006, 18:19
Congrats...I sold backpacking/camping equipment 6 days a week for almost 11 years..It`s a great job and gives you a chance to help a lot of people.....Luckily I worked for an independent family run place that was huge and had been in business since 1946 so we sold EVERYTHING..Too much as a matter of fact..We sold like 200 different tents and that didn`t include the 100`s of old models and discontinued things on the shelves and in the warehouse going back 40 years....Same with sleeping bags and packs...We had an entire floor of the building as a tent display room with 35 tents set up running from 1 man ultra-lights up to 10'x20' 2 room canvas tents

Topcat
10-20-2006, 18:29
Programbo, was that store in Baltimore?

Programbo
10-20-2006, 23:00
Programbo, was that store in Baltimore?

Yes..Actually it`s still there but it`s changed a bit since it`s peak..The original owner passed away and his remaining family members don`t have his obsession with pack-ratting everything like he did

A-Train
10-21-2006, 11:19
Congrats! I've been working at a shop full time since I graduated college (2 days after!) and have generally enjoyed it. But, it is retail, and it is a job (and I work in NY) so it's not as glamorous as I once thought. The job can be fun, you get to meet a lot of cool people/hikers/travelers, but the pay is low, and like I said, it's retail, so there are a lot of boring/ugly/monotonous sides to it. I guess it depends who you're working for and who you work with. Good luck!

Skidsteer
10-21-2006, 13:44
Sounds like a good fit for you, U.G. Good luck! :)

ScottP
10-22-2006, 03:58
Where in Baltimore is that store? I just moved to balimore

Topcat
10-22-2006, 08:36
There is H & H outdoors which is down town. There is a REI and EMS in hunt valley up York road and Sunny's are everywhere you look.

There is also a Hudson River Outfitters in Towson which is a nice place to browse and a Bass Pro Shops not far from Baltimore in Arundel Mills Mall.

The most fun place to go is just an hour and a half or so from baltimore. Drive to Harpers Ferry and go to the outfitters there. Great place and great people.

TinAbbey
10-22-2006, 14:23
'In the real world he's nobody, on the trail...he's underground.'

wilderness bob
10-22-2006, 15:02
He is also a STRONG hiker, I know, we have hiked with each other.
Hey Underground. Good to see you still have a pulse. See you up the trail. Your friend, WB

Toolshed
10-22-2006, 20:00
Congratulations - Good luck and enjoy the Pro-Deals!!!

Programbo
10-22-2006, 20:32
Where in Baltimore is that store? I just moved to balimore

The store I worked at is H&H which is on the corner of Franklin and Eutaw Sts near downtown Baltimore..It`s like 10 blocks north of the stadiums....I might try and sneak back in there next week and see if it`s still as stuffed as it once was...Why do I have to sneak back in?....Well there was once an episode of The Simpsons where Homer left his job at the Power Plant and started trying to be an inventor. Marge said,"Well if this doesn`t work out you can always go back to work at the plant." To which Homer replied, "Not the way I quit!"...That kind of sums it up :p