PDA

View Full Version : Extra Hard over-night hikes near the Big Apple?

nutlub
10-21-2006, 17:14
Whats up Y'all...I live in NYC and I have a good friend comming to vist for an overnight. This dude is like part mountain goat and so I would like to go on an over-night hike that is as strenous as posible but still close to New Youk City....

are there any hard over-night hikes close to the Big Apple? :-?

nutlub
10-21-2006, 17:15
AArgh!! If only I could go back and fix my @#$#! mis-spellings!

trlhiker
10-21-2006, 19:18
Have him climb The Empire State Building using the stairs.

fiddlehead
10-21-2006, 19:31
Nothing too tough on the AT around there. The hardest, of course, would be to head up to NH or ME and hike in the whites or Bigelows.
Possibly go up to the Adirondacks (again not very close) and climb Mt. Marcy or something.
Harriman state park has some nice hiking near the Big Apple.
So does NJ from Del. water gap northbound. but not very strenous for the arduous hiker.
I think the Empire State bldg might be as strenous as you can find closeby.

MOWGLI
10-21-2006, 19:38
Whats up Y'all...I live in NYC and I have a good friend comming to vist for an overnight. This dude is like part mountain goat and so I would like to go on an over-night hike that is as strenous as posible but still close to New Youk City....

Go up to Nyack and hike from the Hudson River to the top of Hook Mountain. That's a pretty good hike.

http://www.hikeleader.com/uppernyack.htm

ARambler
10-21-2006, 19:52
Nothing too tough on the AT around there. ...I think the Empire State bldg might be as strenous as you can find closeby.
Look in the log book at Graymoor. You will see nothing but NOBO's whining about the rocks in Harriman Park. Of course, SOBO's don't complain so hike north. Chatterbox and I hiked from Wildcat to Dennytown road in two days with an overnight at Wildcat Shelter. I think Rt 17 to Bear Mt Bridge would be enough.
Rambler

refreeman
10-21-2006, 20:07
HI,

The closest mountain goat like challenge to NY, NY represents the Catskills in upstate NY. Hunter Mountain’s summit reaches over 4000’s ft at 4040 ft. The surrounding mountains, like Indian Head are just under 4000 ft, but challenging. Summit views provide very beautiful panoramic vistas. The trails are over all maintained relatively well, some are neglected. The trails have steep sections and typical New England rocky sections. Stay on the most popular and you will be fine. However, from the city it’s a LONG two hour drive, but well worth getting up early if you have clear skies.

Closer and easier but still a hearty hike if you just add distance, is Bear Mountain State Park, in NY. The drive should be about an hour. The trail is the AT! However, the summit of Bear Mountain is only 1,284 ft high. This would be the compromise if you don’t want the longer drive. Yes, the area is beautiful. The Views are great too.

Let me know what you wind up doing.

Refreeman

Blissful
10-21-2006, 20:16
HI,

The closest mountain goat like challenge to NY, NY represents the Catskills in upstate NY. Hunter Mountain’s summit reaches over 4000’s ft at 4040 ft. The surrounding mountains, like Indian Head are just under 4000 ft, but challenging. Summit views provide very beautiful panoramic vistas. The trails are over all maintained relatively well, some are neglected. The trails have steep sections and typical New England rocky sections. Stay on the most popular and you will be fine.
Refreeman

I agree. Catskills are good. Hunter Mtn can be real steep. Wittenburg-Cornell-Slide trail is also a good one.

Blissful
10-21-2006, 20:22
I agree. Catskills are good. Hunter Mtn can be real steep. Wittenburg-Cornell-Slide trail is also a good one.

http://www.outdoors.org/recreation/tripplanner/ideas/wittenberg-cornell-slide-trip.cfm

Kevin A. Boyce
10-21-2006, 21:02
I suggest the Devils Path in the Catskills... You can take the bus from NYC and be close to a few trailheads...

The DP is considered the hardest dayhike in the US, many people usually do it in a two marathon... It is 27miles, goes over 7 peaks, has about 19K worth of eleveation gain and loss. It is a true slug fest... Do some google searching on it, there is plenty of info out there...

STEVEM
10-21-2006, 21:57

I assume you will use (1) car, and therefore are looking for a loop trail. I suggest parking at Woodland Valley Campground and hiking The Burroughs Range Trail over Wittenberg, Cornell and Slide Mountains down to Route 47. Turn right on 47 then right on The Phoenicia-East Branch Trail back to Woodland Valley. Make a side trip to Giant Ledge and Panther Mtn. if you have the time.

Get a copy of the ADK Guide To Catskill Trails and the NYNJTC five map set.

I've seen snow and ice on Slide in mid-November. Be prepared for Winter conditions at least on the summits.

nutlub
10-21-2006, 22:54
Thanks for the great info fellas!

mrc237
10-22-2006, 10:06
The Suffern-Bear Mtn Trail is 24 miles and somewhat strenuous. Start at BM go south through rolling hills some hard climbs. Maps are available at the Trail Store on Palisades Pkwy right near the AT. There are two shelters on the trail. When you reach the S end there is a great Irish Pub, Ireland 32 just up the road. There is a Bus stop across the road that'll take you back to BM, or taxis are plentiful. Its a good hike and nearby. Great veiws of NYC. Enjoy!