PDA

View Full Version : Foothills Trail Nov 18-25 2006

Cuffs
10-21-2006, 19:47
This was originally billed as a "chicks only" trip, but since all the other gals have neither confirmed or have made other plans, I am opening this hike up to anyone who wants to join!

Where: Foothills Trail (NC/SC)

When: Thanksgiving week Nov. 18 to 25 or 26

Direction: West to east, Oconee to Tablerock

Just list here your intentions to join.

Hope to plan a food stash about 1/2 way, so dont plan on carrying a weeks worth of food. If there's enough participation, we can arrange a shuttle between ourselves and not have to impose on FHT members for a ride.

Any other input is greatly appreciated!

Hammock Hanger
10-21-2006, 20:09
I did this hike the week before the Gathering, only we hiked from Table Rock to Oconee. It is beautiful. ENJOY!!

1Pint
10-21-2006, 20:11
This was originally billed as a "chicks only" trip, but since all the other gals have neither confirmed or have made other plans, I am opening this hike up to anyone who wants to join!

Chicks Only or not, I'm in. Thanks for making this happen.

Happy to work out a carpool if anyone else is going from NE Ohio.
Laura

Egads
11-04-2006, 18:20
AHG,

Is this trip still happening? I can't make the BMT next weekend, but this looks pretty good on the schedule. I can meet up with the group on Friday. Do you have Thursday & Friday night's campsites worked out?

Egads

Cuffs
11-04-2006, 21:29
no exact plans yet, but im hiking for sure!

Frosty
11-04-2006, 22:34
no exact plans yet, but im hiking for sure!Please keep us informed. I've always wanted to do the Foothills Trail.

aspen
11-06-2006, 08:44
I would enjoy a two day hike. Unfortunately, my time constraints don't allow the one for November.

How about one in December?

Aspen

:banana :banana :banana :banana

Cuffs
11-06-2006, 13:47
I would enjoy a two day hike. Unfortunately, my time constraints don't allow the one for November.

How about one in December?

Aspen

:banana :banana :banana :banana

I am going in November. If you like, put something together and post it under "hooking up" and see whos interested!

1Pint
11-13-2006, 22:35
Just wanted to say I can't go. My 13 year old dog (Half-Pint) is having medical issues and I can't ask my dogsitter to give him liquid medicine twice a day and baby him while I go off to hike. I'd really been looking forward to getting out for a great hike and meeting some of you in person, but it'll have to wait.

I'm jealous 'cause I know you will have a great time.

Happy hiking,
Laura

Mountain Maiden
11-13-2006, 22:58

Where: Foothills Trail (NC/SC)

When: Thanksgiving week Nov. 18 to 25 or 26

Direction: West to east, Oconee to Tablerock

Just list here your intentions to join.

Hope to plan a food stash about 1/2 way, so dont plan on carrying a weeks worth of food. If there's enough participation, we can arrange a shuttle between ourselves and not have to impose on FHT members for a ride.

Any other input is greatly appreciated!

This sounds like a great plan for a great hike! You'll be in my backyard that I am so homesick for right now. It really brings back memories--one of my first hikes in SC was on the FHT at Thanksgiving! As we walked up Horsepasture road, there was such a wonderful fragrance--muscadines! You'll love the waterfalls, too!

Wish I was there to join you. Pls feel free to get good water from the spigot at Laurel Valley Road--near the rock wall--under the can.....

ENJOY!! ENJOY!! ENJOY!!!

Sunrise :sun

stickat04
11-13-2006, 23:25
Best I could do would be the 19th, I would be coming from MI.

Egads
11-16-2006, 08:10
AHG,

http://www.foothillstrail.org/permanent/trailmap7.htm

Have you planned your itinerary? I am hoping that you plan hiking from West to East. I'd like to meet up with the WB group Friday AM & hike the A4 to A8 section (~40 mi) Friday thru Sunday.:banana

Egads

MOWGLI
11-16-2006, 08:20
I'm really glad to see all this interest in the Foothills Trail. When I first joined WB, if you mentioned the FHT people would say :confused: .

Happy hiking to all!

Hammock Hanger
11-16-2006, 09:11
I'm really glad to see all this interest in the Foothills Trail. When I first joined WB, if you mentioned the FHT people would say :confused: .

Happy hiking to all!

Maybe that is because YOU hiked it and brought it to our attention!! I thru-hiked it just before The Gathering and it was just beautiful.

BTW, are there any maps of the trails that make up the GET that are worth my getting??? I can't wait!:banana

MOWGLI
11-16-2006, 09:21
BTW, are there any maps of the trails that make up the GET that are worth my getting??? I can't wait!:banana

I have a call with all the stakeholders next week. I'll be in touch after Thanksgiving. Promise.

I'm getting the fever to do some hiking! Maybe the Bartram of the FT in St. Marks NWR. I can't help myself!

Nightwalker
11-16-2006, 23:03
I have a call with all the stakeholders next week. I'll be in touch after Thanksgiving. Promise.

I'm getting the fever to do some hiking! Maybe the Bartram of the FHT in St. Marks NWR. I can't help myself!

We discussed this long ago, but there was never any decision as to what's what. Since then, I've checked it out closer. The Bartram Trail really does start in SC! Here's a picture, inside Oconee State Park, ~1.5 miles from the trailhead of the FHT. There are ~13 miles of Bartram in SC. ~8 miles into the FHT, the Bartram and Chatooga trails split from the FHT and go towards GA, following the Chatooga river.

Cool, eh? That brings the total length to ~135 miles. A very nice little walk. :)

I'm leaving around 3 this morning to go do 5 days on the FHT, then thruhiking it with Sly, Frosty, Li'l Bear (different one) and who knows who starting next Friday night.

I've got 1000+* miles on this trail. It's my favorite, and I can leave spur-of-the-moment anytime I need a hike!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/6/4/1/1stBartramSign.jpg

*Quite a bit plus, in fact. I've done the Jocassee Gorges section over 20 times, and it's 30 miles just by itself. I've done the whole trail 3 times this year, with at least one more thru coming up. Ridiculous, right?

Sly
11-16-2006, 23:33
I'm looking forward to the hike. It's been awhile and I really need it.

Frank, do you have a .doc with all the trail data? It's probably too late to order a guidebook. If not, I supose I could go to REI, I think I read where they have them.

MOWGLI
11-16-2006, 23:54
We discussed this long ago, but there was never any decision as to what's what. Since then, I've checked it out closer. The Bartram Trail really does start in SC! Here's a picture, inside Oconee State Park, ~1.5 miles from the trailhead of the FHT. There are ~13 miles of Bartram in SC. ~8 miles into the FHT, the Bartram and Chatooga trails split from the FHT and go towards GA, following the Chatooga river.

Cool, eh? That brings the total length to ~135 miles. A very nice little walk. :)

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/6/4/1/1stBartramSign.jpg

Thanks Frank. I remember seeing that old sign when I walked past it with Youngblood. I've been talking about hiking the Bartram Trail for almost 3 years now. One of these days I'll stop aiming and fire.

Enjoy the hike!

Frank, do you have a .doc with all the trail data? It's probably too late to order a guidebook. If not, I supose I could go to REI, I think I read where they have them.

Sly, be aware that the guide is not setup for the thru-hiker. It can be frustrating. If you buy it, you'll want to pour over it a bit before you start the hike. The map is excelent.

Nightwalker
11-16-2006, 23:59

I may have the book somewhere. I haven't used it in awhile. I'll try to find it. You really don't need it, though. The map might be better if you're only gonna buy one thing, but you really don't need it either. Truthfully, I can give you ten times more info than is in the book, but that doesn't help you if you're wanting to read up on it ahead of time, I'm afraid. :)

Here (http://www.foothillstrail.org/permanent/guide.htm) is a link to the stores that carry the guide and map.

If I get back in time, I'll put you together a digital map and email it to you. You can print it out and use it.

Nightwalker
11-17-2006, 00:01
Thanks Frank. I remember seeing that old sign when I walked past it with Youngblood. I've been talking about hiking the Bartram Trail for almost 3 years now. One of these days I'll stop aiming and fire.

Let me know when, if you want company. I'm pretty much spur-o-de-moment available to hike, anytime. :)

Sly
11-17-2006, 00:05
If I get back in time, I'll put you together a digital map and email it to you. You can print it out and use it.

That's probably all I'll need, smething to look at.

MOWGLI
11-17-2006, 00:19
Sly, one of the great things about the trail is that its short enough (76 miles) to carry all your food, it's reasonablly well marked, and water is generally abundant.

Have fun.

Sly
11-17-2006, 00:21
Sly, one of the great things about the trail is that its short enough (76 miles) to carry all your food, it's reasonablly well marked, and water is generally abundant.

Have fun.

Yeah, I figured that. I just like looking at maps and reading guidebooks. I suppose I could bring the ones I need for my next trail... ;)