PDA

View Full Version : I found the perfect hiking panty.

1Pint
10-21-2006, 20:37
Okay, some of you may not find this exciting at all, but I see this as a major accomplishment. I tried Terramar, Duofold, Moving Comfort, etc and after spending $6 to $16 per pair, was very disappointed at how they performed. All weighed more than I wished (okay, I like to pack 6 pairs and so it can really add up.) And my "high performance" Duofold, in particular, took forever to dry in normal conditions.

So on my recent 25 day trip, I tried out Hanes' new line of what they call their "perfect panty" and sure enough, it was. The chiffon ones are light as air, dry in seconds (okay, maybe a couple of hours max), and unlike a lot of synthetics, don't feel like they trap any heat in. Downside is they seem fragile. Kinda like with nylons, you have to watch out for snags, but I could care less about that when the performance is there. A slightly tougher panty in the same line is their "perfect panty - textured". Because of the weave and slightly heavier material these seemed slightly less susceptible to snags. They were still pretty lightweight and still dried quickly after handwashing. Neither type seemed to retain odor the way some wicking shirts can.

Today I returned to the WalMart where I'd bought my test ones to buy up the rest in my size. They only had 2 packs, so I bought those (pack of 2 is $6.87) and drove to the other WalMart and bought up the 6 packs they had. Okay, I'm a nut, but when you find equipment that works - and functional, comfortable underwear is just as important as a good pack for us women - you have to go for it.

Bottom line (sorry about the pun) - if you've got some underwear you like, great. If not, you might want to try these.

mindi
10-21-2006, 23:27
Thanks for the tip! I've been wondering about panties myself. I thought of just going without on the trail, but I would kind of like some kind of a 'buffer'.

Pokey2006
10-22-2006, 05:59
Yes, I agree, thanks for the tip. I love that you bought them at Wal-Mart! I'm all about finding cheap "equipment" at Wal-Mart! I'll see if I can find a package to try them out for myself.

I always buy my underwear at Wa-Mart, including several pairs that I was happy with on the trail (forget $20 a pair, though I can't remember the brand names of the ones I've tried). I like ones that are nylon-ish -- quick drying -- but with a cotton crotch, to keep down odor and stuff. Weight's not a concern for me: I only carry a couple pairs, washing the dirty one in the morning and hanging it on the pack to dry during the day's hike.

Rock on, Wal-Mart shoppers!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-22-2006, 07:22
Years ago there was a brand called LovePats that worked for hiking. The brand is still around, but what they sell is not the same. I will give the new Hanes panties a try. Currently, I use a seamless brief from the men's dept. at Target - Merona microfiber. They work OK, but they just aren't shaped quite right for us girls.

Mouse
10-22-2006, 07:32
Have you tried Ex Officio? Comfortable and practically indestructable.

Hammock Hanger
10-22-2006, 08:28
Have you tried Ex Officio? Comfortable and practically indestructible.

I have a pair of these and a bra. I love the driVent. If, I should wear anything underneath these are the ones I would wear. Very expensive, but I have had them for over 6 years and they still look and feel great.

I will check out the Hanes ones at Walmart. You say they dry fast... I used the LovePats years ago and found them to stay soggy for days.

I have also tried the men's longer legged microfiber briefs from Target and Walmart. They help when chaffing is a problem. (I cut a slit in them so I can still pee with my pack on).

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-22-2006, 09:58
... I used the LovePats years ago and found them to stay soggy for days.

I have also tried the men's longer legged microfiber briefs from Target and Walmart. They help when chaffing is a problem. (I cut a slit in them so I can still pee with my pack on).Hammock Hanger, you are genius - a slit - why didn't I think of that?

As for the soggy LovePats - when they first came out (late 1960s I think), they were made of knitted textured nylon and spandex. As time went on, the company added other fabrics to the mix (including cotton) and they did stay soggy forever. That's why I wouldn't recommend them to anyone today.

peanuts
10-22-2006, 10:43
When I wear panites while bpkng I wear the EXOfiicio, but must of the time I leave them at home.

Dancer
10-23-2006, 17:52
thanks for the tip 1pint! I'm going to go to walmart and check it out. Hope they have pretty colors. I'm not planning on anybody on the trail seeing them but I love pretty underwear and like you didn't want to spend $20 a pair.

Hammock Hanger
10-23-2006, 18:07
I just went to the Hanes Perfect Panty webpage. Did you know that they also make a microfiber type. These come in cool colors both hipster and bikini. They are 84% Nylon and 16% Spandex.

The Perfect Panty comes in white/black and beige and is 89 % nylon and 11% Spandex.

These may be worth checking out. The ExOfficio are: 94% Nylon and 6% Spandex.

1Pint
10-23-2006, 21:10
I just went to the Hanes Perfect Panty webpage. Did you know that they also make a microfiber type. These come in cool colors both hipster and bikini. They are 84% Nylon and 16% Spandex.

The Perfect Panty comes in white/black and beige and is 89 % nylon and 11% Spandex.

These may be worth checking out. The ExOfficio are: 94% Nylon and 6% Spandex.

Yeah, the microfiber are the ones I was referring to. I didn't even think of checking out their webpage. Thanks HH.

The labels on the chiffon ones list at 83% nylon/17% spandex. While the textured ones list at the 89/11 you found. I like the chiffon better 'cause they're lighter and dry quicker but I like the textured ones for their slightly greater resistance to snags.

The chiffon bikini or "modern brief" cuts come in several colors. Looking at the loot I picked up the other day, I've got aquaish blue, bright red, lavender, and the standard black. Of the textured ones, I've got deep purple and teal. And the boy shorts ones are in some bright, fun stripes.

Happy shopping!

Dancer
10-25-2006, 20:29
I love the boy shorts panties! They don't ride up! Good coverage but not granny panties and you don't get wedgies. Also they have a wider gusset and the leg opening binding doesn't rub or bind. I've have been considering them for my thru.

Another thought on the coverage issue, they are more modest for times when you might need to change clothes in a less than private situation.

BOY SHORT PANTIES RULE!!!

Hammock Hanger
10-25-2006, 22:41
ibought a pair of the micro-fiber Hanes. gave them the wash test. They were completely dry in 2 hours.

Swass
10-31-2006, 14:17
I have a pair that sound just like the Hanes ones you are describing, but I think they are Jockey (they are tagless and the brand has long since disappeared). The breakdown is "82% nylon, 18& spandex except 12% cotton added to crotch".

They do remind me of pantyhose (i guess cuz of the nylon) in that they are tiny looking but actually do stretch out to cover everything up. And I like that they don't shift or bunch.

I got them at Marshalls for $1.99.

dharmabum86
10-31-2006, 16:04
I read all the responses and I'm very excited to buy underwear this weekend...TEEHEEHEE! But, I wanted to tell you what I typically wear on the trail. I have found that the running shorts with the built in underwear are best for me. They're lightweight, dry quickly, most have the wicking feature and I can take several pair since they pack down so small! I stopped wearing "hiking shorts" simply because I couldn't find underwear that were comfortable with the shorts. Also the running shorts are great for peeing with your pack on...just pull'em to the side :p I can't believe I just shared that!!!
Happy Hiking....
OJ