PDA

View Full Version : Supplex as tarp fabric?

brian
05-07-2003, 17:50
I have seen clothing made out of Supplex, supposedly waterproof and breathable...and i can get it for about $2 a yard. But is it waterproof enough for use in tarps? ANd does anyone know how much it weighs?

Brian

Peaks
05-08-2003, 07:47
I thought that Supplex was preferred for clothing because it had a cotton like feal to it. i was not aware that it was waterproof. If you want a light waterproof tarp, then I suggest sil nylong. Campmor carries a few sizes.

brian
05-08-2003, 14:31
Yes, i have used sil nylon before for a pack cover i made. Its just that i can get it for $2 a yard, instead of $6. Im not into buying the gear...its making it that is the fun part.

Anyone else? Or does anyone have a supplex waterproofed garment they could test? To see how water proof it is....

Brian

DebW
05-08-2003, 17:06
To my knowledge, you can't get coated supplex. It's somewhat water repellant, but definitely not waterproof. I wouldn't use it for a tarp. But tell me where you can get get supplex for $2. I just paid $5/yd for some.

stranger
05-12-2003, 02:34
Supplex is NOT waterproof...not even close. Supplex is a very fine and tight weave that is naturally water repellant, maybe windproof but never waterproof. Great material for clothing though.

brian
05-12-2003, 07:02
what about slerping bags? Im thinking about getting 5 yards and making a blanket w\ primaloft.
Brian