PDA

View Full Version : Baxter to Bangor?

Buckles
10-22-2006, 10:10
Assuming the successful completion of a NOBO, can anyone suggest what sort of transportation is available from Baxter State Park to the City of Bangor? Would I need to get a hitch or shuttle to Millinocket, first? Let's assume that family and friends are not coming to get me and I need to get to the airport in Bangor. I've consulted the Companion, but I didn't get a good feel for this subject matter.

Thanks!

Peaks
10-22-2006, 18:01
It's real easy to get to back to "civilization" if you follow the suggestions in Wingfoot's Handbook. It worked just fine for me, all the way to Beantown.

TJ aka Teej
10-22-2006, 18:59
Hi Buckles,
I write that part of the Companion, I'll look it over and see if I can do better. Don't fret too much about getting back to civilization after you summit Baxter Peak. Almost every car leaving Baxter will be heading for at least Millinocket, and the bus to Bangor won't leave from Medway 'til the next morning. Most AT hikers seem to 'hook up' with other ATers or hikers for rides south. When I was up there two weeks ago No Pain found a ride to Bangor, and Miyagi and Blue found one all the way to Portland.

Buckles
10-22-2006, 19:10
Hi Buckles,
I write that part of the Companion, I'll look it over and see if I can do better. Don't fret too much about getting back to civilization after you summit Baxter Peak. Almost every car leaving Baxter will be heading for at least Millinocket, and the bus to Bangor won't leave from Medway 'til the next morning. Most AT hikers seem to 'hook up' with other ATers or hikers for rides south. When I was up there two weeks ago No Pain found a ride to Bangor, and Miyagi and Blue found one all the way to Portland.

Teej,

Thanks for the advice. It's good to know it won't be an issue. I didn't think it necessarily would, but I was looking for information on public forms of transport other than those employed through use of "the thumb." If hitching is best, that's not a problem. However, I would rather hear it from the Companion than from a handbook author who deletes the use of the word "companion" when threads are posted on his website.

Keep up the good work.