PDA

View Full Version : Are you a member of the ATC?

1Pint
10-22-2006, 11:52
To go with Sly's poll about ALDHA, I thought it'd be interesting to compare the numbers of ATC members/nonmembers. So, here's the poll.

Sly
10-22-2006, 11:57
I've been a member in the past and have paid dues directly to the ATC.

Although I'm not sure how it works since I haven't got any AT Jouney's, the last two years I've been a member by proxy, having a North Carolina AT auto plate.

Whenever I hike a trail or part of a trail that has a org, I join, atleast, for that year.

max patch
10-22-2006, 12:13
Whenever I hike a trail or part of a trail that has a org, I join, atleast, for that year.

Sly, thats one of the few things you and I agree on 100%.

highway
10-22-2006, 12:13
I hav been a member for about 3 years now and do get the magazine

Sly
10-22-2006, 12:29
Sly, thats one of the few things you and I agree on 100%.

LOL... well, I guess it's better than not agreeing at all! ;)

ShakeyLeggs
10-22-2006, 12:30
Been a life member since 2001

Lugnut
10-22-2006, 14:38
Life member since '99. Sly, you're not missing anything by not getting the magazine! :D

Sly
10-22-2006, 14:57
Life member since '99. Sly, you're not missing anything by not getting the magazine! :D

Yeah,I heard. :)

I wonder if my discount is still good at the Ultimate Store? Anyway, I'll be joining again in earnest when I move from NC to GA, keeping my plate to hang on the wall.

weary
10-22-2006, 15:07
BUT ATC is missing your dues money. The trail as we know it would quickly cease to exist without ATC. Support is critical for those of us who want the trail to continue as mostly a volunteer phenomenon.

Weary

Lone Wolf
10-22-2006, 15:22
I'm not a member.

Sly
10-22-2006, 16:05
BUT ATC is missing your dues money. The trail as we know it would quickly cease to exist without ATC. Support is critical for those of us who want the trail to continue as mostly a volunteer phenomenon.

Weary

Whose dues money, mine? I give when I can. :o Lugnut is a lifetime member, he can't be expected to pay yearly dues also.

I also give to the PCTA, when I can. As far as I'm concerned, no one trail is more important than another.

Pokey2006
10-22-2006, 16:12
I can't afford to be a member. I spent all my money hiking the trail...

orangebug
10-22-2006, 17:24
Life Member since I can't remember when. Believe me, they aren't missing any dues.

ed bell
10-22-2006, 17:44
As far as I'm concerned, no one trail is more important than another.I'll agree with that. I've traveled plenty of trails that continue to exist despite the fact that trail maintanence on them has been spotty at best. Hikers need trails and trails need hikers.:sun

TJ aka Teej
10-22-2006, 17:57
ATC, MATC, AHS, and ALDHA. No AMC for me.

weary
10-22-2006, 18:05
Life Member since I can't remember when. Believe me, they aren't missing any dues.
ATC has been missing my dues since it made me an honorary member last year. Now instead of $35 a year for a membership, I feel obligated to send a $100 donation. :)

mdionne
10-22-2006, 19:15
kinda miffed with them right now, oh wait it's just bluejay...

yeah, i'm a member.:)

Butch Cassidy
10-22-2006, 19:22
Yes I am a member and believe that the best way to effect change is to be a part of the group and voice opinions. Butch:cool:

Lugnut
10-23-2006, 00:27
ATC has been missing my dues since it made me an honorary member last year. Now instead of $35 a year for a membership, I feel obligated to send a $100 donation. :)

Boy. you really made out on that apointment! :D I have not earned (and never will) any honorary memberships to anything. I do, however, still support the ATC monetarily even though I don't have to. I have not signed over my children's inheritance yet, although I know they would like for me to. It's important to support the trail in what ever way suits your mood, be it cheer leading, trail maintenance,donations, etc. I know that you have done more than your share Weary and I, for one, appreciate your efforts. If we all worked as hard as you the trail would be secure for generations. Thanks! :)

The General
10-23-2006, 01:25
I am a Member of the ATC, I hiked the Trail in 2004. I live in England and so I dont get to hike on the AT on a regular basis but intend to cross the Pond as and when time and the wife allows me too. I will next hit the Trail again in 2008 if of course I can shake off the bout of Springer Fever I know is coming up around March as I am getting early syptoms now.

my point is I pay my dues dispite knowing that I can't savoir the delights of the Trail communtiy that gave me so much in 2004. In some small way if my dues help pay for a small piece of the work that goes into keeping the AT alive and well then it is a small price to pay. Don't worry I hope to be popping over every now and again to see that my money is being well spent I figure after meeting EZ1 on the trail in 2004 that I have a few more years yet to keep checking on my investment. To all involved with the AT and those folks who support hikers on it. Many thanks

Krewzer
10-23-2006, 07:09
I am a Member of the ATC, I hiked the Trail in 2004. I live in England and so I dont get to hike on the AT on a regular basis but intend to cross the Pond as and when time and the wife allows me too. I will next hit the Trail again in 2008 if of course I can shake off the bout of Springer Fever I know is coming up around March as I am getting early syptoms now.

my point is I pay my dues dispite knowing that I can't savoir the delights of the Trail communtiy that gave me so much in 2004. In some small way if my dues help pay for a small piece of the work that goes into keeping the AT alive and well then it is a small price to pay. Don't worry I hope to be popping over every now and again to see that my money is being well spent I figure after meeting EZ1 on the trail in 2004 that I have a few more years yet to keep checking on my investment. To all involved with the AT and those folks who support hikers on it. Many thanks

....and thank you.

"Sometimes it is not enough to our best; we must do what is required."
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That old bird would of have been a thru-hiker.

Kerosene
10-23-2006, 09:45
Life member since 2001, which I think really only means that I get hit up to support all of the new fund-raising initiatives (I'm only being a little facetious). I'm looking forward to joining a trail crew for a few weeks once I finish the AT in 2013.