PDA

View Full Version : How to find a gal on the trail?

Sly
10-22-2006, 13:16
No, I'm not talking about *pink blazing* but, with all the talk, it's getting to the point where men will be afraid to even say "hi" to one. :mad:

Granted, not everyone is out there to hook up, but there are alot of singles and yes, some of the men and women are looking. What better companion than one that likes long distance hiking? :)

How do you tell the difference without asking? :o

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-22-2006, 13:22
Sly, I would suggest meeting them at gatherings, rucks, and such and getting to know them a bit before taking a long hike with them. You may also meet some ladies on sites like this one that you may want to get to know better.

StarLyte
10-22-2006, 13:27
No, I'm not talking about *pink blazing* but, with all the talk, it's getting to the point where men will be afraid to even say "hi" to one. :mad:

Granted, not everyone is out there to hook up, but there are alot of singles and yes, some of the men and women are looking. What better companion than one that likes long distance hiking? :)

Why thank you Sly, very good point.

How do you tell.

Obviously Sly and I are single :D

Johnny Swank
10-22-2006, 13:31
Get your gameface on, wipe the noodles out of your beard, and say "Howdy - my name's _______. Nice day ain't it?"

I think the vast majority of folks out on the trail are just folks and are fine with shooting the breeze about anything.

Sly
10-22-2006, 13:33
Sly, I would suggest meeting them at gatherings, rucks, and such and getting to know them a bit before taking a long hike with them. You may also meet some ladies on sites like this one that you may want to get to know better.

Oh I know that, but I'm talking about being single beforehand and meeting a person on the trail.

Before meeting her in person, I met Cheryl on AOL's Backpacker chat, but she's gone now. :( It'll be a bit before I'm ready for another relationship.

Ewker
10-22-2006, 13:34

when you find out please pass that info on :cool:

Sly
10-22-2006, 13:36
Get your gameface on, wipe the noodles out of your beard, and say "Howdy - my name's _______. Nice day ain't it?"

Maybe that's the problem, I don't have a mirrior! :D

Johnny Swank
10-22-2006, 13:38
Maybe that could be part of your scktick.

"Excuse me Ma'm, could you help me get these damn noodles out of my beard?"

If she says yes AND eats them, then you've got a keeper.

Programbo
10-22-2006, 13:44
Maybe one of the moderators could add a personals section to White Blaze?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-22-2006, 14:32
Oh I know that, but I'm talking about being single beforehand and meeting a person on the trail.

Before meeting her in person, I met Cheryl on AOL's Backpacker chat, but she's gone now. :( It'll be a bit before I'm ready for another relationship.Big hug to you. I'm glad to hear you are waiting a bit Sly. It really is a bit too soon. While I'm a happy mated-for-life dino, I lubs me some Sly. If I was single and younger, I'd have to give chase ;).

Pokey2006
10-22-2006, 16:21
How do you know without asking? Simple -- just ask. It's so much easier to deal straight up with people. I actually really respected the guys I met who were clear that they were looking, some who actually came out and SAID they were looking for that special someone. I would imagine being bold and honest would also get you to your goal much faster, rather than wasting time on a gal who just wants you to get lost.

Sly
10-22-2006, 16:30
How do you know without asking? Simple -- just ask.

Hmmm... Busy? ;)

Pokey2006
10-22-2006, 17:02
Good one! LOL

Twofiddy
10-22-2006, 20:28
:banana You guys probably wont like my opinion on this subject, but I saw it first hand in 2003 on my Hike.

Goto top of Springer Mountain in March. Sit at top with something that all sexy hiking chicks will want, like candy, or a brick of dope, diamond rings, a million dollars, or what ever you think that it takes.

Wait for the right girl to come along, and then start hiking with her.

Saw one particular person who I met 9 miles up the trail in 03 do that... he hiked with her, and alot of other shennanagins, for over 500 miles.

Or your could just use Leap Years technique of dropping "THE BOMB" (question on a lady hiker) I swear that would never work till I witnessed it once too.

Conventional means of courting a lady hiker on the trail never worked that I could see.

Gaiter
10-22-2006, 20:28
be yourself

Topcat
10-22-2006, 20:33
:banana You guys probably wont like my opinion on this subject, but I saw it first hand in 2003 on my Hike.

Goto top of Springer Mountain in March. Sit at top with something that all sexy hiking chicks will want, like candy, or a brick of dope, diamond rings, a million dollars, or what ever you think that it takes.

Wait for the right girl to come along, and then start hiking with her.

Saw one particular person who I met 9 miles up the trail in 03 do that... he hiked with her, and alot of other shennanagins, for over 500 miles.

Or your could just use Leap Years technique of dropping "THE BOMB" (question on a lady hiker) I swear that would never work till I witnessed it once too.

Conventional means of courting a lady hiker on the trail never worked that I could see.

What is the "bomb" ?

VictoriaM
10-22-2006, 20:34
What Pokey said. Really, guys, women are just regular people, especially outdoorsy women. We're not nearly as mysterious or over-sensitive as you think. Tell us you're looking, and we'll tell you if we want to be looked for/at. As long as you let it drop when we say we're not interested, there's no problem.

Hammock Hanger
10-22-2006, 22:16
What Pokey said. Really, guys, women are just regular people, especially outdoorsy women. We're not nearly as mysterious or over-sensitive as you think. Tell us you're looking, and we'll tell you if we want to be looked for/at. As long as you let it drop when we say we're not interested, there's no problem.

Couldn't have said that better me self!!! -- I did have a guy put out the question. I said no, we became great friends and he never put me in an umcomfotable place the rest of the hike.

Pokey2006
10-22-2006, 22:45
Feel bad for the poor gal who had some guy following her for 500 miles back in 03! Though if he had a million dollars...hmmm....

Pokey2006
10-22-2006, 22:46
PS: I'm curious about "the bomb" as well.

MedicineMan
10-22-2006, 22:49
still believing in the chemical events of encounter saying a thousand words without saying a thing.

Sly
10-22-2006, 23:08
PS: I'm curious about "the bomb" as well.

No doubt it's, "Hey babe, wanna get laid?" :eek::o I'm more of the courting type. :)

hacksaw
10-22-2006, 23:34
How to find a gal on the trail? Easy! Stop looking. If she's out there in the first place she'll find you. What's more, she'll know in the first two minutes of finding you whether you're a "keeper" or a "throw it back...QUICK"!

Pokey2006
10-22-2006, 23:34
Well, if that's the Bomb, and I do love that theory, then there is indeed a time and a place for that. Sometimes it does work. There's also a time and a place for courting.

Then -- and this will be a huge shock -- there is a time and a place for HIKING.

Sometimes, it just happens. Why not go for a hike, enjoy the hike, and if you meet a girl along the way, great. If not, well, at least you had a nice hike.

Dancer
10-22-2006, 23:43
the best 'relationships' start out as friendships so just act normal and be friendly. If there is chemistry it will develop. No 'chasing' has to be involved. It's like meeting people anywhere else, just be yourself and see what happens.

Lugnut
10-23-2006, 00:03
I'm not so sure you're on the right website. Only three subjects down on the WB front page is the subject on how to get rid of a guy on the AT. Us singles may be prospecting at the wrong mine. :eek:

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 00:10
Naw. Two different subjects. More different then seems at first glance. Take if from someone who's yakked away too much on BOTH threads...

Sly
10-23-2006, 00:10
I'm not so sure you're on the right website. Only three subjects down on the WB front page is the subject on how to get rid of a guy on the AT. Us singles may be prospecting at the wrong mine. :eek:

LOL... I know with all the "pink blazing" "how to lose a guy threads" I wasn't sure if anyone could get "lucky" on the trail! Seems like some of the gals aren't totally agin' it! :D

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 00:15
There is a huge difference between looking to meet someone and stalking someone. No one's out to get you guys or tell you not to talk to or look at or try to get to know girls on the trail. Just don't keep following us for 500 miles after we've made it clear we don't really like you.

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 00:18
And might I add, I'm all for love on the trail. Or sex. I think it's pretty darn cool when two hikers get together. And if I didn't have someone waiting for me at home, I probably would have been on the prowl, too.

Mountain Maiden
10-23-2006, 00:21
No doubt it's, "Hey babe, wanna get laid?" :eek::o I'm more of the courting type. :)

HURRAY for COURTING!!!

And, Yes--I am like Sly, Starlyte and countless others on WB----Single!!

Sunny aka Sunrise:sun

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 00:24
Gee, maybe there should be a personals section here on WB....I mean, there's plenty of folks here expressing an interesting in meeting hikers of the opposite sex...

fiddlehead
10-23-2006, 00:51
MMmmm. met a girl on my first thru in '77. (ended up marrying her) we got along much better on the trail than in the crazy world and the marriage lasted less than the hike.
Met a girl on my next thru in '89 and hiked with her (long story)
Met and hiked with a girl on my PCT hike in 96 (great year)
Never met one on the CDT though. (never saw one)
Not single anymore!
But sure there's lots of hookin up goin on out there. why not? it's a much better place to be and meet someone you have things in common with than your average bar,church, dance, political rally, etc.

Sly
10-23-2006, 01:43
Never met one on the CDT though. (never saw one)Oh come on, there were atleast 10, maybe 12 out there in 2002! ;) But I agree, a CDT hiker gal would be a rare find. Think, I'll go back! :D

SGT Rock
10-23-2006, 01:59
Maybe that could be part of your scktick.

"Excuse me Ma'm, could you help me get these damn noodles out of my beard?"

If she says yes AND eats them, then you've got a keeper.

Does this remind anyone other than me of the M&M hiker joke?

Ask a woman to help you get the noodles out of your beard. If she looks at you like you are insane, then she is a day hiker.

If she helps you, then she is a section hiker.

If she helps you and offers to do it again later, she is a thru-hiker.

Anyway, I can't offer advice on how to pick up women, not even in a bar. I haven't played the game so long I done forgot how.

Sly
10-23-2006, 02:00
Hey! Now that i think of it, the gal (swiss miss) behind me in my avatar (taken in the backpacker hostel, e glacier), had a trail romance with my partner. Shortly after, they got married and had a child! ;) A couple times I had to talk him into continuing (he was only going to hike nm). Now they have two kids and are doing great (i think!), living in Switerland.

Wait a minute, another bud from the AT in '98 has two kids with a gal he met on the trail.

Haha.. just call me uncle Sly!

Sly
10-23-2006, 02:11
Rock, I know all about bars, the easiest way to pick up a woman in a bar is to own it or work there. Otherwise, you may as well be pink blazing! ;)

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 02:28
So, if that theory be true (I will say, there is some truth there), then the easiest way to find a gal on the AT is to either own it, or work there. Hmmm. Food for thought there, boys.

Sly
10-23-2006, 02:33
Yeah, you can't just be a hiker, you have to be a maintainer too! Any gals out there wanna see my shovel?

SGT Rock
10-23-2006, 02:34
"Hi, I am SGT Rock, and I own the AT."

Naw, somehow I don't think it would work.

On the other hand. Picture me doing trail maintenance on the trail and a nice hiker woman comes by all sweaty and tired trying to get up the mountain and I say "Hi. would you like to take a break? I've been working on this here trail all day and was about to go back down to my truck for some beer and a big ol' dinner and I have way more than I can eat by myself"

Now that might get me introduced real quick. But after that I wouldn't know what to say next :D

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 02:40
Once you get introduced, just invite her to a monster truck show...

Oh, wait, getting my threads confused!

Sly
10-23-2006, 02:45
Oh, wait, getting my threads confused!

It's easy to do around here, like a club with a bunch of different rooms.

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 02:49
Ya, and only three of us in the club at 3 in the morning...

SGT Rock
10-23-2006, 03:01
3 AM, hell it is 10:00 here and I am getting ready for a long work day - patrol around half of Baghdad. Too much fun.

Sly
10-23-2006, 03:06
3 AM, hell it is 10:00 here and I am getting ready for a long work day - patrol around half of Baghdad. Too much fun.

Probably be nice until different circumstances. No need saying but stay safe bro.

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 03:08
Ya, sounds like a blast. Be careful.

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 03:09
So, that leaves me and you, Sly, as being real big fat losers. Rock has an excuse for being onling at this hour. What's ours???

Just a little tip: you ain't gonna meet no gals on the trail at 3 a.m.

Sly
10-23-2006, 03:12
So, that leaves me and you, Sly, as being real big fat losers. Rock has an excuse for being onling at this hour. What's ours???

Just a little tip: you ain't gonna meet no gals on the trail at 3 a.m.

LOL... my only excuse is I'm on vacation and I used to work in bar. Born night owl, 3AM is like happy hour!

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 03:14
And I suppose I could say I used to patron the bar...so, ya, this is a perfectly normal hour!

So you worked in a bar once and are now looking for gals on the AT? Didn't you get enough of them at the bar? Bet at least they smelled better at the bar.

blackbishop351
10-23-2006, 03:17
Yeah so...I'm not single and I'm not gonna thru for another few years at least, but I'm in the loser club! :D I don't sleep....

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 03:20
We should start a "loser thread," just for people online after 3 a.m.

Sly
10-23-2006, 03:28
And I suppose I could say I used to patron the bar...so, ya, this is a perfectly normal hour!

So you worked in a bar once and are now looking for gals on the AT? Didn't you get enough of them at the bar? Bet at least they smelled better at the bar.

Thankfully I escaped the bar days intact. It was the best or times and the worst of times. Upon stumbling into the idea that you could actually do it, hiking the AT was a step in my healing process. One trail wasn't enough though, I'm on the 12 step program!

Sly
10-23-2006, 03:36
Yeah so...I'm not single and I'm not gonna thru for another few years at least, but I'm in the loser club! :D I don't sleep....

Could be worse. You could be single and not thru-hiking ! Thru-hiking takes stamina, so does staying awake til 3:35 in the morning!

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 03:53
Being single takes stamina, too. Save your energy for the hiking.

neo
10-23-2006, 04:55
:D dont even think about it
:cool: neo

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-23-2006, 05:26
T..... One trail wasn't enough though, I'm on the 12 step program!Shouldn't that be 12 million step program? May you live the phrase from AA - the joy is in the journey.

Hammock Hanger
10-23-2006, 08:20
I just noticed what time you all wer posting. I either have a broken clock that needds to be fix or you guys need to get some sleep!!

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 08:39
Nothing wrong with your clock.

Nean
10-23-2006, 08:45
I always had better luck on the trail than the man made world.:-?

My secret? Well......, when I noticed Heidi tryin to keep up, I slowed down.;)
Little did I realize I was about to come to a complete halt!:eek:

We hope to do a few months next year though.:)

Lugnut
10-23-2006, 08:47
"Hi, I am SGT Rock, and I own the AT."

Naw, somehow I don't think it would work.

On the other hand. Picture me doing trail maintenance on the trail and a nice hiker woman comes by all sweaty and tired trying to get up the mountain and I say "Hi. would you like to take a break? I've been working on this here trail all day and was about to go back down to my truck for some beer and a big ol' dinner and I have way more than I can eat by myself"

Now that might get me introduced real quick. But after that I wouldn't know what to say next :D

How about " I sure hope Dixie Critter doesn't find out about this!". :banana

Hammock Hanger
10-23-2006, 08:50

Dixie, I was thinking the same thing!!!:eek:

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 09:05
I hear all the beautiful people will be hiking the Benton MacKaye Trail between Springer & Davenport Gap in '07. :sun

Footslogger
10-23-2006, 09:09
Well ...I didn't meet my wife ON the trail but one thing we did/do have in common when we met was backpacking. Our first "date" was a one week hike at Big Bend in southwest Texas. That was a challenging experience for both of us and it brought out some of the best (and WORST) aspects of each of our personalities. That experience convinced both of us that we had "what it would take" to establish a solid friendship and move forward.

Truthfully though ...I can't fathom actually going out on the trail specifically to meet someone. I saw a lot of hormonal behavior in 2003 and most of it was wasted effort. Personally I think that may be one of the best ways to sabotage your distance hike, as well as that of another hiker.

If a single person goes out there and ends up meeting their soulmate it's fanastic but I wouldn't suggest that anyone go out there looking for that to happen.

'Slogger

Hammock Hanger
10-23-2006, 09:11
I hear all the beautiful people will be hiking the Benton MacKaye Trail between Springer & Davenport Gap in '07. :sun
Good morning Mr. Mowgli!!:sun

I do not know who all the beautiful people are... but I was suppose to finish up that section in May 07. However, I have another trail to be on at that time so I am not sure how it will workout. If I am hiking the GET alone I will still take the time to do the BMT. If I have a partner I will probably have to wait until the GET hike is over. Not stressing over that too much just yet. I will finish up that section before the BMT Get Together in Nov 07.

Almost There
10-23-2006, 09:16

I am currently contemplating a thru-hike of the BMT next year, never been called beautiful:-? .....ruggedly handsome is what my wife says:D ....but she has to say that because of what my parents paid her to marry me!:eek:

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 09:29
Good morning Mr. Mowgli!!:sun

I do not know who all the beautiful people are... but I was suppose to finish up that section in May 07. However, I have another trail to be on at that time so I am not sure how it will workout. If I am hiking the GET alone I will still take the time to do the BMT. If I have a partner I will probably have to wait until the GET hike is over. Not stressing over that too much just yet. I will finish up that section before the BMT Get Together in Nov 07.

You definitely fall into that category! I'll walk a week or so of the Great Eastern Trail with you - for sure. And maybe the remnant of the BMT too! :banana I still have north of the Ocoee River to hike, with the exception being the Lakeshore Trail in the Smokies. What do you have left to do of the BMT?

PS: The GET maintaining clubs are having a conference call in November, and one of our agenda items will be supporting our first thru-hiker. :welcome

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 09:33
Almost There found the solution: get in with the parents, then make them PAY you to marry the gal. None of this playing around on the trail.

Footslogger said "solid friendship." Don't go out there looking for it, and it may just come to you. It happens when you least expect it.

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 09:33
Oh, wait, HIS parents paid HER to marry HIM! That tosses all my theories right out the window!

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 09:40
Oh, wait, HIS parents paid HER to marry HIM! That tosses all my theories right out the window!

Three goats and a milk cow. That's what I heard anyway. :rolleyes: Adds new perspective to the words "say cheese", spoken during the wedding photos.

Hammock Hanger
10-23-2006, 09:42
You definitely fall into that category!. :p Thanks

I'll walk a week or so of the Great Eastern Trail with you - for sure. I am looking forward to it.

And maybe the remnant of the BMT too! I still have north of the Ocoee River to hike, with the exception being the Lakeshore Trail in the Smokies. What do you have left to do of the BMT? That would be nice. We finished last year near Fontana at the 20-mile Ranger Station, so I need to go from there to Davenport Gap.

PS: The GET maintaining clubs are having a conference call in November, and one of our agenda items will be supporting our first thru-hiker. That has a nice ring to it!! I am honored and promise to be a good Guinea Pig, I mean Poster Child for the various clubs involved. :sun My husband is even excited...:banana

As I am typing this I can hear the call and shriek of a hawk over the pond outside my back window......

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 09:46
I heard she got three cows and one goat. Big difference there, dude.

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 09:49
I heard she got three cows and one goat. Big difference there, dude.

You obviously haven't seen the price of goat cheese/yogurt/milk these days. Or maybe you haven't seen Almost There. He's not worth three cows IMO.

Almost There
10-23-2006, 09:55
Three goats and a milk cow. That's what I heard anyway. :rolleyes: Adds new perspective to the words "say cheese", spoken during the wedding photos.

No, actually, has anyone ever seen the "Bozo" show, it was a "Brand New $50 Bill!!!":banana 7.5 years later and she's still with me!

The truth is we knew each other back in high school, I wrestled with her brother and her dad and mine helped run the junior wrestling program together, she was two years behind me in school, and I was the first guy she ever went out on a date with in high school....It was the only date we went on in high school....ouch!:datz Didn't see her, except once in passing for 6 years. I was working a second job in retail and she walked in and asked me out. She had heard that I had been engaged and it pissed her off...then she heard I wasn't engaged anymore and decided she had to run into me somehow. When we went out because we had known each other in the past our relationship was easy and natural. Saw each other every day after that until we were married.

Point is...like anywhere...if you go looking for it, you probably aren't gonna find it, and if you do, it won't be what you are "really" looking for. It's just gotta find you when you least expect it. That's how it has ended up happening with every woman(3) I've ever been "in Love" with.

SGT Rock
10-23-2006, 09:58

Dixie, I was thinking the same thing!!!:eek:

LOL I hope she knows I am just kidding.

Really dear, I swear! :eek:

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 09:59
That's a real sweet story.

And another lesson for you guys. If your parents don't have three cows, or three goats, or whatever, just wrestle with her brother and her father, and you'll be all set.

No, seriously, it is a sweet story. My prayers are with her.

SGT Rock
10-23-2006, 10:04
I am currently contemplating a thru-hike of the BMT next year, never been called beautiful:-? .....ruggedly handsome is what my wife says:D ....but she has to say that because of what my parents paid her to marry me!:eek:

I'm thru-hiking the BMT in '08, according to my wife "He cleans up nice" which I think means that if she dresses me up and makes me wash, then I am passable.

max patch
10-23-2006, 10:13
The GET maintaining clubs are having a conference call in November, and one of our agenda items will be supporting our first thru-hiker. :welcome

Serious question -- as I know nothing about the GET.

Why does the first thru hiker need to be "supported"? Why can't someone -- or a bunch of someones -- just decide to do it on thier own?

Thanks.

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 10:18
Serious question -- as I know nothing about the GET.

Why does the first thru hiker need to be "supported"? Why can't someone -- or a bunch of someones -- just decide to do it on thier own?

Thanks.

Good question! Because the trail is not yet complete and no trail guide exists. The first thru-hiker will be finding their way in some places, and will need some help from the locals to stay safe and un-lost. So.. by support, we're not talking about the kind of support that has become synonymous with an AT hike. This is more about route finding, although resupply will be an issue in some places, because we don't have the data together like ATC does. Yet.

Almost There
10-23-2006, 10:19
I'm thru-hiking the BMT in '08, according to my wife "He cleans up nice" which I think means that if she dresses me up and makes me wash, then I am passable.

LOL, I used to be the classic city boy, metrosexual...my wife was the old hippie/deadhead. It took moving from Chicago to Georgia for me to begin a transformation that would see me from metrosexual to blue blazin' hiker trash. I let my beard grow on a hike last year...and now she "won't" let me shave it off. The south has corrupted me!!!:eek:

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 10:21
The south has corrupted me!!!:eek:

What are you saying? You've wrestled with her mother too? ;)

neo
10-23-2006, 10:23
:D give it up,it anit gonna happen:cool: neo

Pokey2006
10-23-2006, 10:24
More likely to meet a gal as "blue-blazing hiker trash" than as a metrosexual from Chicago. Congrats for finally finding your way.

Almost There
10-23-2006, 10:25
What are you saying? You've wrestled with her mother too? ;)

Naw...her mother is still a yankee living in the north....I'm the damn yankee settled in Georgia. When I hear banjo music now, instead of running I start tapping my toe!:D

max patch
10-23-2006, 10:29
Good question! Because the trail is not yet complete and no trail guide exists. The first thru-hiker will be finding their way in some places, and will need some help from the locals to stay safe and un-lost. So.. by support, we're not talking about the kind of support that has become synonymous with an AT hike. This is more about route finding, although resupply will be an issue in some places, because we don't have the data together like ATC does. Yet.

That makes sense now. Thanks for the info.

weary
10-23-2006, 10:36
......, when I noticed Heidi tryin to keep up, I slowed down.;) ....
Something like that happened to me in 1993, though it was a pretty platonic relationship. Her companion had quit the trail and she was a bit nervous about hiking alone. I sensed she thought I was safe. I was never quite sure whether that was a compliment or not.

Weary

Almost There
10-23-2006, 10:42
More likely to meet a gal as "blue-blazing hiker trash" than as a metrosexual from Chicago. Congrats for finally finding your way.

Pokey,

I completely agree, although it took me till about 30 to figure myself out, I tell my brother who is still single to go after a more down to earth girl, and to quit valuing worthless things...but he still has his sights set on a high maintenance gal. BTW, the only way I would ever get my brother out on the trail is if I drugged him, tied him up, and carried him out there. My wife loves him to death but her greatest fear is that he'll end up marrying some "twiggy b*tch", as she puts it, that she won't get along with. Almost already happened once.

Now for me...blue blazing is a way of life...don't take things so serious, laugh at just about everything..and simply go with the flow, life is too short to be stressed out all the time.

If a person is meant to be with someone, they'll come along, and if not....then the person will be happier alone than with the wrong person!

Sly
10-23-2006, 10:43
Good morning beautiful people!

Hey I'm thinking of doing the (west) GET next year, the Grand Enchanment Trail. Check it out, the website is loaded.

http://www.simblissity.net/grand_enchantment.shtml

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 10:46

Hey I'm thinking of doing the (west) GET next year, the Grand Enchanment Trail. Check it out, the website is loaded.

Go east young man!

We're planning on a re-design of the Great Eastern Trail website. Hopefully it'll be done before '07.

Almost There
10-23-2006, 10:47
Looks like it would be a great trail to do Sly, wish I could hike more than just the summer.

Hammock Hanger
10-23-2006, 10:49
Go east young man!

We're planning on a re-design of the Great Eastern Trail website. Hopefully it'll be done before '07.

You get to do the west GET - I get to do the east GET... We are just GETTY's... Okay, I'm sick. I'm just recovering from knowing i'm going to be lost and starving out on my GET hike....:eek:

Footslogger
10-23-2006, 10:50

============================================

Sly ...you gonna hike it east or westbound ?? ...and when during the year are you planning on going ?? Some gorgeous looking scenery.

'Slogger

Sly
10-23-2006, 10:55
Looks like it would be a great trail to do Sly, wish I could hike more than just the summer.

Yeah the best time to do the west GET is spring or fall. I hope to do it next fall after a few spring and summer hikes. Brett (the creator) is out there now. He's done an unbelievable job lining up the trail data, water sources, resupplies, MAPS and he puts it all on a CD. This is his second or third trip.

FHT, BMT/AT to TD, CT, JMT/HST, GET, about 2000 miles total.

Sly
10-23-2006, 11:00
Flogger, I wanted to hike east, but in fall the suggested direction is west.

Footslogger
10-23-2006, 11:09
Flogger, I wanted to hike east, but in fall the suggested direction is west.
==================================

How long do you figure it will take you ?? I'm guessing between 3 and 4 weeks.

'Slogger

lobster
10-23-2006, 11:17
That Grand Enchantment Trail seems like a tremendous addition to the the numerous trails in the US.

Ewker
10-23-2006, 11:22
The trail has lots of 20-30 yr olds women. Trying to find a woman in her late 40's,50's or early 60's is harder. Those in that age range seem to be married or have changed their outlook on hiking or backpacking.

Some of the ones I have met over time think hiking is walking from the cabin to the car, then driving to the waterfall, walking up the paved path to see it then head back to the cabin to get in the hot tub (not that there is anything wrong with that :D )

Sly
10-23-2006, 11:23
==================================

How long do you figure it will take you ?? I'm guessing between 3 and 4 weeks.

'Slogger

Probably closer to 6 or 7 weeks, it's 700 miles. I'm hoping I can start around the 1st week of Oct and still get it in.

StarLyte
10-23-2006, 11:50
You get to do the west GET - I get to do the east GET... We are just GETTY's... Okay, I'm sick. I'm just recovering from knowing i'm going to be lost and starving out on my GET hike....:eek:

HA! HH I print out your TJs and read them before I go to sleep. Thank you. (your TJs link is not working). I have Liteshoe's entire TJ printed out. Suppose I better have her sign it before she becomes famous---again :D

Sly - this trail is awesome. I love the breakdown of trails on the website. This is very doable for me. I love your Pacific Northwest Trail ideas, but I love the SW better.

Mowgli-who would ever guess what would become of the eastern trails--what a concept, trail. I am just amazed anymore. Makes me so proud to be part of all of this.

I am looking out of my window at snow falling.......

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 11:53
I am looking out of my window at snow falling.......

It was snowing in Iowa yesterday when I was there! I miss snow!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-23-2006, 12:01
You get to do the west GET - I get to do the east GET... We are just GETTY's... Okay, I'm sick. I'm just recovering from knowing i'm going to be lost and starving out on my GET hike....:eek:This must be why the next ALDHA meeting will be in Gettysburg....

Hammock Hanger
10-23-2006, 12:17
[quote=StarLyte;259806]HA! HH I print out your TJs and read them before I go to sleep. Thank you. (your TJs link is not working). quote]

I hope I don't give you nightmares.:eek: I just posted a long one in my Foothills TJ. I know I'm working on the direct link thing. I gave the guys at TJ's the wrong name for the trail and I haven't gotten it fixed yet. -- Glad you are enjoying my journals. You are always welcome to hike a bit with me, just let me know. :welcome Sue/HH

Sly
10-23-2006, 12:21
This must be why the next ALDHA meeting will be in Gettysburg....

I just realized, I'll probably be missing that one! :(

Hammock Hanger
10-23-2006, 12:26
This must be why the next ALDHA meeting will be in Gettysburg....

:D :D :D :D too funny! My sickness must be contagious.

dixicritter
10-23-2006, 12:41
LOL I hope she knows I am just kidding.

Really dear, I swear! :eek:

You can't get away with anything it looks like... folks around here have my back... ;)

Besides you're all talk.... LMAO.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-23-2006, 12:47
I just realized, I'll probably be missing that one! :(We will hunt you down like a dirty dog and drag you to Gettysburg.... what are families for...

Sly
10-23-2006, 12:48

Best of luck GET 'er done! (sad pun) :D

1Pint
10-23-2006, 16:30
Yeah, you can't just be a hiker, you have to be a maintainer too! Any gals out there wanna see my shovel?

No, but I'm laughing my head off.