PDA

View Full Version : Women specific backpacks.

The Will
10-22-2006, 15:17
Some questions for the ladies (or anyone else in the know), as I look for a good 3 to 4 day pack for my girlfriend.

Do you find there to be a difference in fit of those packs with hipbelt and shoulder strap designs that are specifically for women?

Does anyone have any experience with either the Gregory Tega or the Mountainsmith CDT 45?

Other recommendations for a pack between 2500-3000cu. in. and that has a suspension system to handle between 30-35lbs?

Thanks.

Gaiter
10-22-2006, 18:06
I have a gregory deva 60 that is great. Its bomb proof (well it has survied me well), love the suspension system which isn't the same as the tega. there is also the gregory maven, just like the deva 60 but $30 cheaper and in the space range your looking for. www.gregorypacks.com
The best thing is to take her into a store and have her try them on. if your wanting it to give it as a gift, then make it a suprise trip to the store. Don't buy one expecting it to fit her.

1stCavSoldier
10-22-2006, 18:43
My wife has a Tega and she loves it! She likes the suspension, says it makes the load feel lighter than it is.

snarbles
10-22-2006, 19:00
Just bought my girlfriend an Osprey Lunar 60 in green.

If you have a knowlegeable person fit the back (bend the back stays and such) it will fit perfectly.

My girlfriend easily carrys up to 40lbs w/o any problems or discomfort, she really likes it.

Now I'm jealous because her backpack is better than mine! But alas I suppose that's how it's suppose to be :)

bigcranky
10-22-2006, 19:46
My wife has had several women-specific packs, and she's seen a noticeable difference. She has used the Lowe Sirocco, the Gregory G and Z packs, and now has an Osprey Ariel 55.

The Z pack is for sale <grin>. It's a size small, in gray, and I could make you a decent deal if you wanted. PM me if interested.

Mouse
10-22-2006, 19:47
I positively love my Mountainsmith Chimera pack. It is very different from the male version, the Auspex. I'd have quite a time getting that to fit me.

Unfortunately, the Chimera seems dropped from their line this year.

Farr Away
10-23-2006, 01:04
Do you find there to be a difference in fit of those packs with hipbelt and shoulder strap designs that are specifically for women?

Does anyone have any experience with either the Gregory Tega or the Mountainsmith CDT 45?

Other recommendations for a pack between 2500-3000cu. in. and that has a suspension system to handle between 30-35lbs?

Yes, there is a big difference in fit with packs that are designed for women. I have the Gregory Tega (medium), and love it. I usually carry mid to high twenties (lbs), and find I don't really notice the weight until I take the pack off and suddenly feel much lighter.

I second what somebody else said about not surprising her with an actual pack - a trip to get one would be great, but she _has_ to try it on, with weight, yada, yada.

gumball
10-25-2006, 19:09
Yes, a big difference. I really like my GG Vapor Ki, fits nicely for my small torso length and hip belt is well padded. Suspension very similar to my other, heavier favorite, the Osprey lines.

Almost There
10-25-2006, 21:51
Wife has an Osprey Ariel pack and so does a friend, both love it.. With any female pack you need to take her and get her fit by a knowledgable person...I've hiked with women who had illfitting packs and you don't want her hips to get rubbed raw...trust me neither of you will be having much fun if that happens.

Blissful
10-25-2006, 21:57
Well, I've bombed out with every women's pack except my Lowe Alpine Alpamayo clunker - which is going on the thru next year. But my situation is different - bad back and painful sciatica so all the lightweight packs just don't have the suspension I need to keep me out of pain (I almost keeled over with the last one I just tried today - a Mountainsmith Chimera. It's going back). The best thing to do is try it out, preferably at home with your stuff and see. I've done many that way (of course, none of them worked, sniff)