PDA

View Full Version : Boot Sole Siping

Kerosene
10-23-2006, 09:55
The Vibram soles on my Garmont Eclipse boots really took a beating in the White Mountains. At the start of the hike I felt like I could get a pretty good grip on a lot of the slick rock, but 75 miles later while descending the Osgood Trail I was a lot less confident.

I've only got 350 miles on these boots, so I'd really rather not replace them quite yet. They will probably be fine for the 400 miles I still have to cover down south, but I'm not sure I want to try Maine with these soles.

Does anyone have any experience with "siping" a boot tread? I know that different manufacturers put thin "cuts" in a sole to increase tread stickiness, but I was wondering if I could do something similar at home or even have a shoe repair shop undertake for me (which isn't a bad idea considering how hopeless I am with tools).

The Solemates
10-23-2006, 10:01
not sure how to give you advice on your problem, other than to say that I would never buy Garmont boots. They often have faulty workmanship, and their customer service can't back it up. After dealing with them on several issues (one of which being that a pair of their boots blew out after 6 days on my thru-hike and I never received the replacement pair I was promised), it is obvious that their customer service is one of the worst in the field. So don't plan on trying to return them; even if they are faulty, you won't get anywhere with Garmont. Garmont is worthless.

highway
10-23-2006, 10:39
I wonder, do the soles have the little yellow "VIBRAM" insert, 8-sided? Those are proprietary and there are various designs and chemical composition of them, for different applications, from the 'sticky' rubber for approach footwear, which wears out quickly but stick like glue, to harder, longer lasting soles for heavier boots, etc. I would first call them and see what the manufacturer opines about your observation.

As you are well aware, what one person's experience is with anything may just in fact be unique to them and may or may not be typical for you. I certainly dont know about garmont but give them a shot, as it were.

I do know, though, that as we have gone from the heavier limmer style, hard boots of years ago to the newer hybrid ones most buy now, the mileage has suffered too. One's weight now is a big factor in how long running shoes now last, most of which are now destroyed in as little as 300 miles, extended some by inserts. If you are lighter, they last longer, for obvious reasons. But your boots should go longer, I'd suspect. I dont think I would attempt to cut ridges in the sole either. Now if they were a pair of those heavier, harder, expensive limmer-stylr, I probably might.

Kerosene
10-23-2006, 11:11
Yes, these are Vibram soles. I'll see if I can determine they type when I get home, but I know that they are positioned as long-distance hiking boots and not touted to have the sticky soles that you'd expect to wear out. I'm pretty average at 170 pounds, so my skin-out weight is 200 pounds.

BTW, I've been very satisfied with the comfort and workmanship on my Garmont's. I haven't had the opportunity to deal with their customer service. I'd consider buying another pair as I really appreciate the hardened toe box and moderate weight, although the interior takes forever to dry due to the Gore-Tex lining I believe.