PDA

View Full Version : Info. on the Black Mtn Crest Trail (NC)?

FHThiker
10-23-2006, 15:54
Hi everyone, I'm interested in doing the Black Mtn Crest Trail in NC. From what I've read, it's one of the toughest trails in the US and is regarded as the hardest in the Appalachian Mtns. It traverses up and down more than a dozen 6000+ feet summits in just 12 miles. Water is also said to be scarce and can only be found on three spots on the trail. Because of the difficulty, I *think* it's an overnighter/2-day hike.

Has anyone done this trail? Any information? I've found these two links with good info, but I want to hear some first-hand experience. Also, is it doable in the early winter (November), or will I have to wait until the late spring/summer to do it?

http://www.thebackpacker.com/trails/nc/trail_978.php

http://www.mountaintravelguide.com/Hiking%20Trails/North%20Carolina/yancey/Black%20Mountain%20Crest%20Trail.htm (http://www.mountaintravelguide.com/Hiking%20Trails/North%20Carolina/yancey/Black%20Mountain%20Crest%20Trail.htm)

Any information is appreciated??

Thanks!

The Solemates
10-23-2006, 16:05
do a search here on WB. there was some discussion about this trail a while back.

Sly
10-23-2006, 16:09
I didn't think it was too bad, but I had just done the northern half of the Long Trail so I was in decent shape. I also thought most climbs on the LT were harder. I just used the guide from Trails.com. It gets a little hard to find the trail on the northern half and is a bit of a bushwhack, but overall it's a great trail.

FHThiker
10-23-2006, 16:29
I didn't think it was too bad, but I had just done the northern half of the Long Trail so I was in decent shape. I also thought most climbs on the LT were harder. I just used the guide from Trails.com. It gets a little hard to find the trail on the northern half and is a bit of a bushwhack, but overall it's a great trail.

How do you think the winter (November) conditions would be? Passable?

(I consider myself in *descent* shape...just completed the Foothills Trail in 5 days with relative ease :) .)

Phreak
10-23-2006, 16:59

(I consider myself in *descent* shape...just completed the Foothills Trail in 5 days with relative ease :) .)

If you're looking for company on this hike, I'd be happy to join ya. Just let me know the dates.

Sly
10-23-2006, 17:06

As high as it is, it's possible it could be very cold and windy in Nov. We did it in late September or early Oct and had frost in the morning, but otherwise the days were awesome. I'd see if you could get in touch with someone at Mt Mitchell State Park for a weather update.

Ewker
10-23-2006, 18:12
I think it was 7° today at Mt Mitchell

http://ils.unc.edu/parkproject/webcam/webcam.html

Ewker
10-23-2006, 18:13
sorry make that 17°

blitz134
10-23-2006, 23:02
I didn't think the traverse was that hard physically...although I hike a lot. We didn't do the whole traverse, we came up from the West and hit the ridge and then walked South. I think once you get up to the main ridge line elevation its fairly easy going.

Weather could really be a problem though. We where there in the early summer and it was a bit chilly. If you get lucky with the weather then it will be really cold at best, but if you hit it wrong I would definately bet it would be brutal if not dangerous to be out if underprepared. That altitude makes a huge difference.

RAT
10-24-2006, 00:48
Since our club (CMC) built and maintains all of that areas trails, you might want to check out their website and contact them for info or published material. It is rugged territory indeed. http://www.carolinamtnclub.com/ and esp. http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/webcam/webcam.html where there is a live webcam from Mount Mitchell updated every half hour ! Lots of info there ! Have fun, carry plenty of water !

The MST is awesome and they now have new guide books all about it ! Goes right over the summits of that entire range !

RAT

FHThiker
10-24-2006, 07:38
If you're looking for company on this hike, I'd be happy to join ya. Just let me know the dates.

Hey Phreak...yeah, I'll keep you informed. Yesterday, I called the Mt. Mitchell State Park folks and then they directed me to the Burnsville Ranger District office...spoke with them for a while. They said it's definitely passable in the early winter. Temps are what you have to worry about, not necessarily snow (at least too much). I'm sending them $7 and they are mailing me the maps & narrative for the trails.

Oh, and they said that part of the park closes the first part of November, so it might mean a different starting point...actually have to hike into the park and then start the trail, but she said there are multiple ways to access it.

More information forthcoming... :)

billdnc
10-24-2006, 10:17
I did this hike in December a few years ago. It got down to about zero at night but was pleasant hiking during the day. It is certainly not a tough trail at all. There are plenty that are steeper and more rugged i.e. Joyce Kilmer area. It is beautiful and scenic though. It can be done in one long day from Bolens Creek Road to Black Mountain Campground, but unless you are in super shape and the weather is perfect, you may want to make it an overnight. There's a saddle between Deer Mt. and Potato Hill that has a spring nearby that makes a good overnight stop. There used to be a shelter here, but it was removed years ago. Mt. Mitchell may be closed if there is any snow and the best place to leave a car or get picked up is at Black Mountain Campground at the base of the mountain.

Sly
10-24-2006, 10:26
Black Mountain Camppground to Bolens Creek or visa versa in 1 day would indeed be a super hike. About 18 miles and 6000 feet (total) of elevation gain!

Jan LiteShoe
10-24-2006, 12:24
I agree with with Sly - I don't know why this short, lovely trail got a reputation for toughness. The views are tremendous. Highest trail on the east coast! We only found water in one place (and barely then) - at the saddle gap mid-way. There is also water (Boylens Creek?) as you descend the non-Mitchell end, but you're nearly home by then.

The main problem I see might be exposure. There was thick frost on the tents in early October, and you're often in the open. Above 6K in many spots, I remember thinking that it would be a good trail to do in August, when it's too hot to hike elsewhere.

If you google around, you'll find more info on where to park at the non-Mitchell end. It was an obscure cemetary. The second half of the trail was fairly low-brushy, tore at your legs and made me itch for a pair of maintainers pruners.

soad
10-24-2006, 13:08
There are plenty that are steeper and more rugged i.e. Joyce Kilmer area.

Do you have any specifics on some hard/fun/steep trails to do in that area??

thanks!!

billdnc
10-24-2006, 14:40
In case any of you are interested, or like me, are from Colorado, but now live in the south and miss real winter camping - a great mini expedition is to wait for a good snowfall and drive to the Black Mountain Campground( or as close as you can get) and climb Mt. Mitchel with or without snow shoes. The park is completey closed, no rangers or anyone. I have done this once and bivaouced in the picnic area on top. I had the whole summit to my self and awoke to an incredible sunrise and an easy downhill back to the car.

billdnc
10-24-2006, 15:09
Do you have any specifics on some hard/fun/steep trails to do in that area??

thanks!!

There are a lot of trails in the Joyce Kilmer/ Slickrock Wilderness area. These are described under the Nantahala Nat. Forest section of Alan de Hart's Norht Carolina Hiking Trails. The Naked Ground Trail and Hoe Lead Trail take you away from the crowds and up some cool ridges and lots of Rhododendron tunnels. There is a lot of up and down and the trails can be wet, rocky and are not well cleared. I found two new pack covers on the this trail once. Anyway, I think that this area is fabulous and will kick the average hiker's butt. For more info, check out de Hart's book, it's in the library or google for the trailheads etc.

Good luck.

NotYet
10-24-2006, 17:21
Since our club (CMC) built and maintains all of that areas trails, you might want to check out their website and contact them for info or published material. It is rugged territory indeed. http://www.carolinamtnclub.com/ and esp. http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/webcam/webcam.html where there is a live webcam from Mount Mitchell updated every half hour ! Lots of info there ! Have fun, carry plenty of water !

The MST is awesome and they now have new guide books all about it ! Goes right over the summits of that entire range !

RAT

The Black Mountain Crest Trail starts at the lower parking lot of Mount Mitchell and heads to the north. The MST goes up Mt. Mitchell using the Buncombe Horse Trail & Camp Alice Trail, and then down to the Black Mountain Campground via the Commissary Ridge Trail and the Mt. Mitchell Trail (or vice versa). So the MST and the Black Mountain Crest trails don't actually touch...but they make a great trip when connected.

Just an FYI to follow the no-camping in the park rule--the Rangers are at Mt. Mitchell State Park year-round, even though the roads to get there are often closed to the public in winter...They live up there, and they do enforce the rules.

The Blk Mtn Crest Trail becomes very overgrown north of Deep Gap (the gap mentioned as a good place to camp); so hiking in the winter might make it easier to find and stay on the trail, as much of this plantlife will have died back.

I've never heard that this trail is one of the hardest in the east, but I have heard it described many times as "one of the most rugged in the Southeast". It's a beautiful place and can be extremely cold and windy. The Forest Service has a good map of the area "South Toe River, Mount Mitchell & Big Ivy Trail Maps". I hope you have a great trip!