PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Underliner...

Hammock Hanger
05-08-2003, 10:09
I think that 3 times the charm....

First liner -- silnylon with 8 pockets filled with down. Toasty warm on a cold 28-30 degree night. Bulky even when squished down. Weighed 1 pound. (I still used windshield reflective pad inside hammock.):banana

Second liner -- silnylon with 8 empty pockets. Fill pockets with partially inflated plastic produce bags. Toasty was in low 30's. Time consuming to inflate 8 bags... well only like 5-10 minutes but I'm a lazy cuss. Weighted 1/2 an ounce, plus weight of plastic bags. (I still used windshield reflective pad inside hammock.):banana :banana

Third liner -- 1 large crib pad (fleece covered rubber pad). Added 12 inches of sil to each end and gathered ends together. Added ties. Haven't been able to try this is COLD weather but I know that the pad will NOT LET cold air through. You can't even force your breath through the pad. If it were super cold you could always put bags between the pad and the hammock but do not feel that this is necessary. It can be used inside or outside the hammock, as well as in shelters. It is washable. It folds down to a nice small package and weighes 9 ounces. (With this I have also OMITTED the windshield reflective pad.):banana :banana :banana

Hammock Hanger

DebW
05-08-2003, 19:59
Originally posted by Hammock Hanger
I think that 3 times the charm....
Second liner -- silnylon with 8 empty pockets. Fill pockets with partially inflated plastic produce bags. Toasty was in low 30's. Time consuming to inflate 8 bags... well only like 5-10 minutes but I'm a lazy cuss. Weighted 1/2 an ounce, plus weight of plastic bags. (I still used windshield reflective pad inside hammock.):banana :banana

Hammock Hanger

1/2 an ounce, HH? You're fooling us, right?

The crib pad sounds interesting. But BTW, I can't imagine inflating 8 plastic bags in really cold weather. Hard to tie them off with mittens on.

Jeff
05-09-2003, 08:05
Is Tom Hennessey selling an underliner????

Hammock Hanger
05-09-2003, 09:50
From what I know he is working on something. HH

That s/b 1.2 ounces

tlbj6142
05-09-2003, 11:01
HH;

Your intent with the crib liner is to just put that under your hammock without any sort of insulation (empty bags, pad, etc.), correct?

Shell would then effectivly just stop wind. How is it suppose to keep you warm? You still have to deal with conductive heat loss.

Hammock Hanger
05-09-2003, 17:35
mmmmmmmmm! Was hopig the fleece that covers the pad would help. Haven't tried this one yet.... Guess then I'll be inflating those bags again.:-? HH

tlbj6142
05-10-2003, 09:26
I guess the fleece might help. I wish it were colder so you could run a quick test.

Hammock Hanger
05-13-2003, 19:24
It is almost identical to my underquilt #1. http://www.thru-hiker.com/workshop.asp?subcat=5&cid=72 HH

MedicineMan
09-27-2003, 05:03
The picture HammockHanger posted a link to was of an underquilt made by Dennis Klinsky, I have e-mailed back and forth with this man and he is a whiz in many areas,,,tried to get him to sell me an underquilt but no luck.