PDA

View Full Version : Just moved to Washington, DC...need info

thestin
10-23-2006, 17:00
After 25 years in Atlanta, I have recently relocated to the Washington, DC area. I need some ideas about day hikes and overnights. Are the Shenandoahs as crowded as the Smokies?

Any input greatly appreciated!

Cuffs
10-23-2006, 17:53
dont have any info on SNP, but my bro-in law hikes the C & O in the area and says its great!

Topcat
10-23-2006, 17:59
You have the virginia,maryland and PA sections fo the AT handy, Harpers Ferry, Tuscadora Trail, C and O Canal, tons of state parks, the potomac and many other places to play. The DC area is actually quite handy to lots of outdoors activities

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 18:00
Rock Creek Park (http://www.nps.gov/rocr/) offers some nice places to walk in the woods.

Programbo
10-23-2006, 18:21
Where exactly are you in DC?..The C&O Canal is probably the best place without leaving town..It actually runs about 186 miles all the way out to Cumberland..Very historic....It`s only an hour or so drive up to the AT also...Shenandoah Park is probably more crowded than GSMNP because it is closer to large population areas and the road runs right along the length of it

thestin
10-23-2006, 18:25
Thanks for your replies. I have done a lot of hiking and biking in the local area, inlcuding Rock Creek Park.

What I'm looking for right now is a good day hike...I used to go hike up Brasstown Bald or up Trey Mountain for example. So something that has a nice payoff at the end. Out and back or loop is fine.

Thanks

Mother's Finest
10-23-2006, 18:54
Annapolis Rocks on the AT has nice views to the West.....best spot I can think of in MD.

peace
mf

Blissful
10-23-2006, 19:04
After October you can basically have Shenandoah to yourself until May. Summer and Fall are crowded. PATC has two good guidebooks - one is Circuit Hikes in MD, VA, WV and the other Circuit Hikes in Shenandoah Nat'l Park.

And also check out the REI stores in the area. There are four of them. (!)

Blissful
10-23-2006, 19:06
PATC - Potomac Appalachian Trail Club. They maintain many of the trails and also rent cabins.

thestin
10-23-2006, 19:28
Thanks, Blissful! There's an REI right down the street.

I'm finding that this is a great area for bike riding...looks like the hiking will be good too.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-23-2006, 19:57
Welcome! Try this site for some pretty standard, but very well documented local hikes: http://www.hikingupward.com/.

chknfngrs
10-23-2006, 20:16
welcome to DC.

Good hiking and backpacking are closeby. As said before, from now until March-ish the trails in SNP and GWNF are fairly deserted.

Most people in DC go to SNP. The north section is straight out 66 and from my house about 80 minutes. The Central section is about an hour and a half. Each of these have some great circuit hike options, to include an overnight or two. End-to-end hikes are common too.

Be the tiger. Head further west for GWNF, includes the Massanutten Range (Massanutten Trail, 80 mile circuit, Signal Knob, Elizabeth Furnace...) and is about an hour and a half from DC.

Feeling saucy? Further west in West Virginia/Virginia border is some excellent hiking, to include Big Schloss, Half Moon Lookout (!!!).

In Maryland, north of Annapolis Rocks is some good hiking in Catactin Mtn Park and not as popular in the fall.

No matter where you go though, be ware the hunter! All times are relative w. traffic. PATC.net has a lot of info. DC is not the most vertically inclined city, but it is central to the mountains and ocean. Again, welcome to DC.

the goat
10-23-2006, 23:07
shennies will be packed for a coupla months, unless you go for a walk or run on one of the lesser-used trails. the further you can get from skyline drive, the less people you'll see. get a map or guidebook and check it out.

also, closer to home, the potomac heritage trail offers a great walk or run along the potomac. teddy roosevelt island has a nice nature walk as well, both may be accessed from the george washington memorial parkway.

happy trails!

Furlough
10-24-2006, 04:42
Here are a couple of day hikes I posted to another thread. Also using www.localhikes (http://www.localhikes) web site you will be able to find many day hikes in and around the D.C. area.

Even though it is off of the AT, Old Rag still remains one of my favorite day hikes in Viriginia. http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Old_Rag_Mt_0000.asp
Just try to go during the week not on a week end. This trail gets a lot of traffic. If you like waterfalls another favorite of mine (and in the same basic area as Old Rag) is the White Oak Canyon Cedar Run Loop. http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Whit...arRun_0000.asp

Furlough

Newb
10-24-2006, 07:28
Thestin:
I live in Alexandria and hike the area extensively. Drop me a message and I'll tell you far more than you can imagine.
I hike Great Falls, Prince William Forest, Huntley Meadows, App. Trail, Manassas mountain (an underused venue), Occaquan trail, Fairfax county trail....there's a lot to walk on out there in the area.

Creek Dancer
10-24-2006, 08:58
Is the SNP crowded? I suppose that would depend on your definition of "crowed". The northern section of the SNP tends to get more use than the central or southern section mostly due to the fact that it is closest to DC. The southern section has the least use. I have hiked all of the AT in the SNP and a large number of circuit hikes in all three sections of the SNP. Generally, the AT gets the most use. I've never seen more than just a handfull of people on non-AT trails, with the exception of the tourist type trails. In my opinion, the best hikes are off the AT. Lots of waterfalls and interesting historical trails.

Hope you enjoy your hikes!

Jack Tarlin
10-24-2006, 15:28
Thestin:

Since you're so close, you might also want to get out to Harpers Ferry WV at some point (it's a short drive to the city; there's also commuter rail service). This is where the Appalachian Trail Conservancy is based, and would be an excellent place to get maps, guidebooks, etc. Also, the folks who work in the Visitor Center there all live nearby and would be able to answer all of your questions about hiking in the area. In adition, there's an excellent Outfitter there.

For more information, go to www.appalachiantrail.org

Thor
10-24-2006, 16:06
Even though it is off of the AT, Old Rag still remains one of my favorite day hikes in Viriginia. http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Old_Rag_Mt_0000.asp
Just try to go during the week not on a week end. This trail gets a lot of traffic. If you like waterfalls another favorite of mine (and in the same basic area as Old Rag) is the White Oak Canyon Cedar Run Loop. http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Whit...arRun_0000.asp

Furlough

Ha! I clicked on this thread with the intention of posting exactly that, almost verbatim.

Old Rag Mountain is easily the best day hike in the area with great views, lots of bouldering, and a decent possibility of bear sightings. Just take Furlough's advice. Never EVER go up Old Rag on a weekend. It gets so bad that you'll actually be waiting in line at the more difficult rock scrambles. Your best bet is to go on a Wednesday, though even Monday or Friday is better than Saturday or Sunday. Also, arrive early so you can park at the 'upper' lot which only has 8 or so spaces. That .8 mile roadwalk to and from the 'lower' lot is REALLY obnoxious at the end of a long day ;)

http://www.ascendancy.net/landscapes/Old%20Rag/56-FalseSummits1234.jpg

Creek Dancer
10-24-2006, 16:10
Ditto that!

thestin
10-24-2006, 20:27
You guys (and gals) rock! Thanks for all the info. Hoping to get off to the woods tomorrow or Thursday.:banana

wilconow
10-24-2006, 21:48
Be the tiger. Head further west for GWNF, includes the Massanutten Range (Massanutten Trail, 80 mile circuit, Signal Knob, Elizabeth Furnace...) and is about an hour and a half from DC.

Feeling saucy? Further west in West Virginia/Virginia border is some excellent hiking, to include Big Schloss, Half Moon Lookout (!!!).

agreed! massanutten and great north mountain are the places to be

Newb
10-25-2006, 08:05
Dolly Sods Wilderness in W.Virginia is superb.

twosticks
10-25-2006, 11:07
Where exactly are you in DC?..The C&O Canal is probably the best place without leaving town..It actually runs about 186 miles all the way out to Cumberland..Very historic....It`s only an hour or so drive up to the AT also...Shenandoah Park is probably more crowded than GSMNP because it is closer to large population areas and the road runs right along the length of it

The C&O canal is a nice bike ride but as a hike it is pretty boring when compared to everything else out there.

Thor
10-25-2006, 14:01
The C&O canal is a nice bike ride but as a hike it is pretty boring when compared to everything else out there.

There are some nice trails just off of it in the Great Falls area, though. Short, but nice. It's a great place to spend a day or two.

Krewzer
10-25-2006, 23:35
Here's a twist for your list. Mountains to the Sea Trail, North Carolina. Jockey's Ridge State Park at Nag's Head, down the beaches, dunes, woods, and marshes of Roanoke, Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands. That'll get you close to a hundred miles of hiking.

Spirit Walker
10-26-2006, 00:52
It depends on how far you want to drive. South of the city, but within an hour, you have good day hikes at Prince William NP (rolling hills and lots of streams) or the Bull Run-Occoquan Trail. North of town the Frederick area has some good hiking: the Catoctin Trail, Seneca Creek or Little Bennett SP are also within an hour's drive. The AT is about an hour and a half drive. The Shenandoahs are about 3 hours, depending on where you go. The Tuscarora Trail is about 2-3 hours. The C&O starts in town (Georgetown actually) and continues out west for about 180 miles. It's very flat and gets quite boring, but is nice if you just want exercise and don't want to drive. The Greenridge Trail in Maryland (near Hancock) is a challenging one that is only about 2 hours away. The Billy Goat Trail at Great Falls can be lengthened using the canal, and can be a fun rock scramble.

Patrickjd9
10-26-2006, 06:07
Is the SNP crowded? I suppose that would depend on your definition of "crowed". The northern section of the SNP tends to get more use than the central or southern section mostly due to the fact that it is closest to DC. The southern section has the least use.
I agree that the crowds thin out once you get to the southern section and the areas of the central section nearest Swift Run Gap (US 33).

Patrickjd9
10-26-2006, 06:09
After hiking about 40 miles of it, I've decided it is best covered on a bike:D .

chknfngrs
10-26-2006, 08:27
I think it was already said but I'll add my voice to the lot. The Billy Goat Trail is a must-do, as is the Potomac Heritage Trail. Both are right next to town so if there's ever a need for "trail" these are within minutes.