PDA

View Full Version : Hows this schedule looking?

Boat Drinks
10-23-2006, 21:34
I just planned out my trip section 1 from Springer to Damascus. I get to Damascus in 48 days averaging 9.57 miles a day. Zero or nero days are included in this figure. Too slow, on pace, too fast? I know to hike my own hike, but does this seem close to being on the mark?

Butch Cassidy
10-23-2006, 21:46
I would expect that you would be faster than that. 37 and by the time you get your trail leggs, I would guess 35 to 40 but who knows? Butch:cool:

ShakeyLeggs
10-23-2006, 22:08
That is a little slow but as we all say HYOH. And you know the number one rule on the AT? He who finishes last wins.

As someones signature states "start slow then slow down".

A-Train
10-23-2006, 22:27
I was 19 in 2003 on my hike. Took me 39 days, including 3 zero days and several neros. Took it real easy the first 2 weeks especially. If you've got the time, take the time. Whats the rush? Especially if you're not thru-hiking, there should be no need to pump the miles. It's a great section of trail with fun trail towns and good scenary. Enjoy!

map man
10-23-2006, 23:32
The "typical" NOBO completing thru-hiker keeping a thorough journal at trailjournals.com who takes 48 days to hike to Damascus would take about six-and-a-half months to get to Katahdin. Whether that's a reasonable amount of time for you depends on when you start from Springer, and upon your own inclinations. Of course there are lots of variables and some would rightly point out that your plans will likely go out the window as soon as you hit the trail, but to a lot of people (and I would be one of them) doing some scenario planning beforehand like you are does provide some peace of mind.

Since you call this hike "section 1" I'm not sure if you mean it to be a stand alone section hike or the first section of a thru-hike. I'm assuming in my answer that it's the latter. But if it's not then "never mind," as a famous character from Saturday Night Live once said.

Gaiter
10-24-2006, 02:06
HIKE YOUR OWN HIKE!!!!

and see rule no. 2 on http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18313

Lone Wolf
10-24-2006, 07:13
I just planned out my trip section 1 from Springer to Damascus. I get to Damascus in 48 days averaging 9.57 miles a day. Zero or nero days are included in this figure. Too slow, on pace, too fast? I know to hike my own hike, but does this seem close to being on the mark?

It's just fine. Have fun.

Boat Drinks
10-24-2006, 14:06
I was 19 in 2003 on my hike. Took me 39 days, including 3 zero days and several neros. Took it real easy the first 2 weeks especially. If you've got the time, take the time. Whats the rush? Especially if you're not thru-hiking, there should be no need to pump the miles. It's a great section of trail with fun trail towns and good scenary. Enjoy!

This is for a Thru-hike, this is just the first section that I've worked out. I do want to take time and enjoy the Trail, bu tI do NOT wanna miss the OCT 15 deadline...

Boat Drinks
10-24-2006, 14:07
The "typical" NOBO completing thru-hiker keeping a thorough journal at trailjournals.com who takes 48 days to hike to Damascus would take about six-and-a-half months to get to Katahdin. Whether that's a reasonable amount of time for you depends on when you start from Springer, and upon your own inclinations. Of course there are lots of variables and some would rightly point out that your plans will likely go out the window as soon as you hit the trail, but to a lot of people (and I would be one of them) doing some scenario planning beforehand like you are does provide some peace of mind.

Since you call this hike "section 1" I'm not sure if you mean it to be a stand alone section hike or the first section of a thru-hike. I'm assuming in my answer that it's the latter. But if it's not then "never mind," as a famous character from Saturday Night Live once said.

This was an extremely helpful post, thank you. How did you work out that stat?

Thor
10-24-2006, 14:20

Really depends on a lot of personal factors like physical condition, overall size, how crazy you are, etc ;)

I was 130lbs overweight when I started. Also 30 years old. It took me 46 days. Overall it took me 6 months and 3 days to reach Katahdin. A younger and lighter thru-hiker will easily find themselves going faster. It's a fairly sedate pace.

floyd242
10-24-2006, 14:22
This was an extremely helpful post, thank you. How did you work out that stat?

have you seen this?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=244258#post244258

Jack Tarlin
10-24-2006, 14:58
Coral:

You've received some good comments so far.

I agree with the folks who have written that you'll probably make better time.

Unless the weather is horrible; you get hurt; or you decide to take more time off than most folks, I think you'll get to Damascus between 38 and 45 days from your start date, with just around 40 being the average for most folks.

Boat Drinks
10-24-2006, 15:03
Coral:

You've received some good comments so far.

I agree with the folks who have written that you'll probably make better time.

Unless the weather is horrible; you get hurt; or you decide to take more time off than most folks, I think you'll get to Damascus between 38 and 45 days from your start date, with just around 40 being the average for most folks.

Jack, thanks, I used your guide as a template.

mweinstone
10-24-2006, 15:04
way too fast and a bit slow too.what the hell are you trying to do ? set a new minnisota smith land speed record.

Boat Drinks
10-24-2006, 15:24
have you seen this?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=244258#post244258

I had not! Thank you!

Jack Tarlin
10-24-2006, 15:41
Coral:

If you look in the "Articles" section of this website, you'll an extended piece on Food and Re-Supply while thru-hiking. It also contains a lot of information regarding distance and time, i.e. it'll give you an idea of how long it'll take most folks to negotiate specific stretches of the Trail, how much food to bring, etc. You might find information this useful in making your scheduling plans.

stoikurt
10-24-2006, 16:29
Hey Coral,
Welcome, it's nice to see somebody from my neck of the woods...err..beach, on here.

Boat Drinks
10-24-2006, 16:45
Hey Coral,
Welcome, it's nice to see somebody from my neck of the woods...err..beach, on here.

Holy Hell! Hey neighbor! I had no idea anyone else was from around here!!!:banana

Boat Drinks
10-24-2006, 16:46
Coral:

If you look in the "Articles" section of this website, you'll an extended piece on Food and Re-Supply while thru-hiking. It also contains a lot of information regarding distance and time, i.e. it'll give you an idea of how long it'll take most folks to negotiate specific stretches of the Trail, how much food to bring, etc. You might find information this useful in making your scheduling plans.

Jack, see post above, I printed and used your article as a template! I found it MOST helpful! Thank you for your time and effort in creating this!:banana